Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Road to Rio 2016 - Irish Olympic News

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

It's one of those odd situations. The more successful you are the more you get. Not that I begrudge anyone grants or help . But surely the people on the way up need more support than those at the top of there support. Or an injured athlete should be supported instead of having funding cut.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Dodge wrote: »
    We had 9 without the relay in London. 9 in Beijing and Athens

Really don't like people on the internet using words like abysmal when loads of people in real life have burst themselves trying to get to the Olympics

To be fair, I know as well as anyone how much work has been put in. But I find it very disappointing to see, the one time where most Irish people will be watching my sport, that we are at our weakest for some time, with so many injuries. 7 or 8 athletes (depending on Fionnuala) competing inside the stadium is very poor, when you consider there are no A and B standards anymore, just one set of standards, which are easier than the A standards in London. We can butter it up all we like but it is a poor result for us.

More worrying is the fact that of these 8, only 3 have hit the standard in 2016, though I'll exempt Mageean on that one given her medal. So only half of the 8 are showing form right now. Hopefully things come good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭NiallBoo

Lack of interest from Irish people is the big one. We just don't care enough about sports. Look at any sporting event here, the attendances are all very poor compared to equivalents in most countries. That extrapolates out into funding etc
    Big picture, absolutely. I just meant the immediate issue for athletes.

Pity really, it's all a bit of a vicious circle. People won't care until there's something big enough to engage them and comfortable facilities to view from, and that won't happen until people are engaged.

Thinking about it, I think most people would even feel like a bit of a weirdo turning up at a local non- gaa/football/rugby event if they weren't a relative or active in the club.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

Lack of interest from Irish people is the big one. We just don't care enough about sports. Look at any sporting event here, the attendances are all very poor compared to equivalents in most countries. That extrapolates out into funding etc

If Irish don't care about certain sports, then they probably don't care that we don't excel in them either.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,203 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

If Irish don't care about certain sports, then they probably don't care that we don't excel in them either.

They'll feign interest when we
    1) win some medals
    or
    2) struggle really badly

Then 2 months later, no one cares again.

I do, but I accept I'm in a tiny minority

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

They'll feign interest when we
    1) win some medals
    or
    2) struggle really badly

Then 2 months later, no one cares again.

I do, but I accept I'm in a tiny minority

I think the boxers have spared us from the "talk to joe" headbangers for the past 2 Olympics. Would have been open season without them. Although, in fairness, the walkers have done their bit too.

I think the boxers have spared us from the "talk to joe" headbangers for the past 2 Olympics. Would have been open season without them. Although, in fairness, the walkers have done their bit too.

But even then it's the "if the boxers can do it, why can't...."

But even then it's the "if the boxers can do it, why can't...."

Thats true, but I don't think it's necessarily a bad question to be asking, especially if you were a CEO or high performance coach of another sport, not in terms of winning Olympic medals perhaps, but in setting achievable targets and realising them.

Thats true, but I don't think it's necessarily a bad question to be asking, especially if you were a CEO or high performance coach of another sport, not in terms of winning Olympic medals perhaps, but in setting achievable targets and realising them.

The average punter values all medals equally. They don't understand that winning a medal in the men's 800m is far harder than in women's boxing. So if Mark English was to finish 8th, that wouldn't impress many outside of knowledgeable sporting fans.

The reality is that in boxing:

1) There's only 1 competitor from each country, there's 3 from each country in athletics events
    2) Two bronze medals are given out. Imagine how many more Olympic medals we'd have if 4th place in athletics got a medal.
    3) They don't have to beat the best boxers in the world (given that most believe that the best pro boxers would beat the best amateur boxers), though this could change in the future. Athletes have to beat the very best in their field.

Not trying to downplay the achievement of boxing medals, but more show how difficult a position our track and field athletes will always be in with regards to impressing the Joe Duffy knownothings!

Chivito550 wrote: »
    The average punter values all medals equally. They don't understand that winning a medal in the men's 800m is far harder than in women's boxing. So if Mark English was to finish 8th, that wouldn't impress many outside of knowledgeable sporting fans.

1) There's only 1 competitor from each country, there's 3 from each country in athletics events
    2) Two bronze medals are given out. Imagine how many more Olympic medals we'd have if 4th place in athletics got a medal.
    3) They don't have to beat the best boxers in the world (given that most believe that the best pro boxers would beat the best amateur boxers), though this could change in the future. Athletes have to beat the very best in their field.

Not trying to downplay the achievement of boxing medals, but more show how difficult a position our track and field athletes will always be in with regards to impressing the Joe Duffy knownothings!

I think those are all fairly valid points and I say that as a fan of amateur boxing. You'll just never get through to some people, though I think there has been some progress made as regards attitudes, especially when you recall the fall-outs after both Sydney and Athens. The pathetic IOC v ISC catfights used to really inflame the situation back then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54,944 ✭✭✭✭walshb

You constantly try and downplay medals in other sports. There are over 20 disciplines in track and field. Is it difficult to medal in any one of them? Hugely. It's also every bit as difficult to medal in any one weight division in boxing. Problem being that you will never see this.

Isn't it all kind of swings and round-abouts?

Some sports will have easier qualification but that means tougher competition in Rio but others will have tougher qualification but more chance of getting a medal once they're there.

Either way you have to be the best in the world.

NiallBoo wrote: »
    Isn't it all kind of swings and round-abouts?

Some sports will have easier qualification but that means tougher competition in Rio but others will have tougher qualification but more chance of getting a medal once they're there.

Either way you have to be the best in the world.

I think that's a fair point, in boxing its often half the battle just getting there. But I can still sympathise with the initial points made, particularly in relation to the bronze medal award. Other sports like tennis, bastketball and football have third place play-offs, I don't really get why boxing doesn't have as well.

Bronze? Who gives a fcuk about bronze?😄

walshb wrote: »
    You constantly try and downplay medals in other sports. There are over 20 disciplines in track and field. Is it difficult to medal in any one of them? Hugely. It's also every bit as difficult to medal in any one weight division in boxing. Problem being that you will never see this.

So if there were 3 Chinese, 3 Russians, 3 Kazaks, 3 Cubans in every category, it wouldn't be any more difficult to win medals?

If all the top pros were there, it wouldn't be any more difficult to win medals?

And are you arguing the clear fact that there are 4 medals in boxing vs 3 in athletics? This alone is clear evidence that boxing medals come easier.

Imagine a 100m race in Rio where only guys between 10.0 and 10.30 were running. That's amateur boxing. You said yourself the pros would beat the amateurs.

I think that's a fair point, in boxing its often half the battle just getting there. But I can still sympathise with the initial points made, particularly in relation to the bronze medal award. Other sports like tennis, bastketball and football have third place play-offs, I don't really get why boxing doesn't have as well.

The biggest thing for me is the restriction of one boxer per nation per weight. Imagine how many nations that would have steeplechase medals by now if the Kenyans could only enter one athlete.

I am not debating it with you. You are not capable of looking past numbers. I am simply pointing out your ignorance when it comes to your constant arguing about it being 'harder' to medal in T&F than boxing. As if it's somehow provable! Your stance is a combination of ignorance and arrogance.

I am not debating it with you. You are not capable of looking past numbers. I am simply pointing out your ignorance when it comes to your constant arguing about it being 'harder' to medal in T&F than boxing. As if it's somehow provable!

4 medals vs 3 medals
    Pros vs no pros
    3 per nation v 1 per nation

It's very easily provable in fact.

But we'll never agree on it.

Like I said. Fixated on numbers.

Btw, you do realise that there are dozens of elites in many countries trying to get that one spot in boxing? So there is more than 3 Cubans etc. It's a qualification process. You will never see this.

The biggest thing for me is the restriction of one boxer per nation per weight. Imagine how many nations that would have steeplechase medals by now if the Kenyans could only enter one athlete.

Yeah, I mean the thing is boxing is restricted in numbers by the IOC, as far as I know anyway, to the extent there's still only 12 in Katie Taylor's weight division. One fight, probably, and she's already got a medal. I can't agree that should be the case.

But that's just how it is. Regardless of how difficult qualifying can be, I don't think anyone should dispute that winning a world (amateur) boxing title is a far more challenging proposition than an olympic one, yet the latter will always hold sway simply because it's the olympics.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

Other sports like tennis, bastketball and football have third place play-offs, I don't really get why boxing doesn't have as well.

Because there were instances before 1948 (when boxing had only one bronze,) where a boxer was so badly beaten by the ultimate gold medallist in the semi-final bout that he had to concede the bronze medal bout. It happened to an Irish boxer in 1924 or 1928, 1924, I think. It was considered unfair that this should happen to a boxer who was unlucky enough to draw the best boxer in his semi-final.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

Bronze? Who gives a fcuk about bronze?😄

Ask Ciara Mageean.

This used to be a nice thread.

feargale wrote: »
    Because there were instances before 1948 (when boxing had only one bronze,) where a boxer was so badly beaten by the ultimate gold medallist in the semi-final bout that he had to concede the bronze medal bout. It happened to an Irish boxer in 1924 or 1928, 1924, I think. It was considered unfair that this should happen to a boxer who was unlucky enough to draw the best boxer in his semi-final.

It's a reasonable basis I suppose, although still not sure I agree with it, but certainly won't be complaining if we rack up a couple of bronze in Rio anyway....

feargale wrote: »
    Ask Ciara Mageean.

This used to be a nice thread.

That was clearly a joke. Lighten up and the thread may become good again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭clairewithani

That was clearly a joke. Lighten up and the thread may become good again!

Not funny even as a joke. Disappointed in that attitude to be honest.

Jaysus lads, when one of us is an Olympic athlete we can take a stance on hard/easy it is

Until then, can we drop 'my sport is better than yours'. It really is playground stuff

Like I said. Fixated on numbers.

Btw, you do realise that there are dozens of elites in many countries trying to get that one spot in boxing? So there is more than 3 Cubans etc. It's a qualification process. You will never see this.

I understand that. But an Irish boxer only has to beat 1 Cuban, 1 Russian, 1 Mongolian. An Irish athlete must beat 3 Jamaicans, 3 Ethiopians, 3 Americans. If the 3 best boxers in the world are from one country, only one will be there winning a medal, leaving 2 medals free (actually 3!) for others to win. In things like the Steeplechase, the 3 best all come from the one country, and all 3 are at the Olympics. Is this really hard to understand?

So...any actual Olympic news?

NiallBoo wrote: »
    So...any actual Olympic news?

Ciara Everard has been named in our Olympic team. I've been told she's injured, but maybe they are picking her provisionally.

• Advertisement

Ciara Everard has been named in our Olympic team. I've been told she's injured, but maybe they are picking her provisionally.

Her coach (James Nolan) was quoted in the Irish Times as saying she was working hard and 'on course' for Rio despite not running yet this year

Advertisement