Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Road to Rio 2016 - Irish Olympic News

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

finbarrk wrote: »
    Yep. I got a post deleted when I criticised Lowry over there.

Same. Those mods over there are very autocratic. On complete power trips.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,203 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

On golf, Paul Dunne is now ranked high enough to qualify for the Olympics. He's still 3rd behind Harrington and Power but it makes it more likely we'll have a team of 2 there

On the women side, Stephanie Meadow is now first reserve. Leona Maguire looks safe

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Dodge wrote: »
    On the women side, Stephanie Meadow is now first reserve. Leona Maguire looks safe

The world no 38 female golfer has withdrawn today so that put her in I think.

The world no 38 female golfer has withdrawn today so that put her in I think.

No, it brings someone in from that woman's country. I think Stephanie will get in though

Only 7 attempting to qualify in Ray Moylette's weight at the last qualifier. He's hoping to be one of 3 going to Rio

http://iaba.ie/seven-enter-moylettes-weight-olympic-qualifiers/

• Advertisement

Only 7 attempting to qualify in Ray Moylette's weight at the last qualifier. He's hoping to be one of 3 going to Rio

http://iaba.ie/seven-enter-moylettes-weight-olympic-qualifiers/

He's been drawn against the second seed from Armenia. This guy lost box off for a place at the European qualifiers having beaten Pat McCormack of Britain along the way. He reached QF in 2015 worlds.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Oldira

Bad News in that Venezuela have overtaken Ireland for the last qualifying spot in the mens 4 x 400m relay. The Irish squad really need a good time at the Euros this week somewhere around 3.04 should be enough.

They've to worry about Turkey too who have 2 good times from the last month.

3.04.25 will bring them below Venezuela.
    3.04.00 will bring them below Japan and you'd think safe

I think we have serious problems if a team consisting of Barr, Gregan, Lynch and Gillick can't go sub 3:04. We'll be fine folks. No panic. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

He's been drawn against the second seed from Armenia. This guy lost box off for a place at the European qualifiers having beaten Pat McCormack of Britain along the way. He reached QF in 2015 worlds.

He's out, beaten by the Armenian.

• Advertisement

It seems that all might not yet be lost in qualifying a Showjumping team for Rio.

http://www.worldofshowjumping.com/en/News/Paul-Schockemoehle-buys-44-horses-from-Alexander-Onischenko.html

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Oldira wrote: »
    It seems that all might not yet be lost in qualifying a Showjumping team for Rio.

http://www.worldofshowjumping.com/en/News/Paul-Schockemoehle-buys-44-horses-from-Alexander-Onischenko.html

Wow, that is potentially huge news. Here's hoping anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭finbarrk

It's a bit of a long shot re the Show jumpers. I had heard it earlier this week. It wouldn't be too disappointing to the rest of the equestrian world if Ukraine were put out. Total mercenaries. Like Turkey in the athletics at the moment.

finbarrk wrote: »
    It's a bit of a long shot re the Show jumpers. I had heard it earlier this week. It wouldn't be too disappointing to the rest of the equestrian world if Ukraine were put out. Total mercenaries. Like Turkey in the athletics at the moment.

Yeah. None of their riders are native Ukrainians. From Brazil, Germany etc. Time is running out anyway for any changes as entries close on July 18.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Chivito550 wrote: »
    I think we have serious problems if a team consisting of Barr, Gregan, Lynch and Gillick can't go sub 3:04. We'll be fine folks. No panic. :)

It's mad that last year you probably wouldn't have considered Lynch and Gillick in that team, considering Lynch couldn't make the team on the track and Gillick was retired. Says a lot about Lynch's improvement imo. Delighted for him, genuinely nice guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,518 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

3:04:42 today but into the final

KevIRL wrote: »
    3:04:42 today but into the final

Looks like they didn't make it

No, just missed out but Japan may not send a team so we could get in. We'll find out in a few days

No, just missed out but Japan may not send a team so we could get in. We'll find out in a few days

Why would they not send a team?

Some countries don't really care about being there just for the numbers

Doesn't matter either way though as India passed us too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

The Japanese might not have a yen for it. :)

Some countries don't really care about being there just for the numbers

Doesn't matter either way though as India passed us too

I've heard that Japan are going. One of the Irish journalists out here was in touch with a Japanese journalist who confirmed they will be going. But as you said, it doesn't matter now anyway.

It will be a depressingly small team competing inside the Olympic stadium in Rio. Soft race walking and marathon spots are boosting the numbers to make it appear respectable, but it most certainly is not.

I would have figured the Japanese of all nations would attend. Would it not be considered dishonourable to not compete.

Chivito550 wrote: »
    I've heard that Japan are going. One of the Irish journalists out here was in touch with a Japanese journalist who confirmed they will be going. But as you said, it doesn't matter now anyway.

It will be a depressingly small team competing inside the Olympic stadium in Rio. Soft race walking and marathon spots are boosting the numbers to make it appear respectable, but it most certainly is not.

Take the walkers AND marathon out and we have a track and field team of 8?

That seems abysmal to be honest.

I know standars are hard but this really is very disapointing.

Take the walkers AND marathon out and we have a track and field team of 8?

That seems abysmal to be honest.

I know standars are hard but this really is very disapointing.

We had 9 without the relay in London. 9 in Beijing and Athens

Really don't like people on the internet using words like abysmal when loads of people in real life have burst themselves trying to get to the Olympics

We had 9 without the relay in London. 9 in Beijing and Athens

Really don't like people on the internet using words like abysmal when loads of people in real life have burst themselves trying to get to the Olympics

I know well everyone athlete works their asses off and my gripe is not with the athletes but rather our sporting organisations and Government. A smaller country like New Zealand will have a team of 200 and will probably get 12 medals 3 of which will be Gold. They also have internal standards which means they will not even send every athlethe that qualifies.
    No reason at all we cannot be targeting similar other than lack of ambition. For example back in the 80s and 90s we were told that the abscence of a 50m pool was the reason our swimming record was not great. How we have a number of them and we are sending just 3 swimmers.
    Nothing wrong with criticising our lack of ambition. That is not an attack on the athletes who sacrifice a huge amount with minimal support. Kieran Behan was working on the buildings this Spring to pay his bills, despite having qualified for the Olympics.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

I know well everyone athlete works their asses off and my gripe is not with the athletes but rather our sporting organisations and Government. A smaller country like New Zealand will have a team of 200 and will probably get 12 medals 3 of which will be Gold. They also have internal standards which means they will not even send every athlethe that qualifies.
    No reason at all we cannot be targeting similar other than lack of ambition. For example back in the 80s and 90s we were told that the abscence of a 50m pool was the reason our swimming record was not great. How we have a number of them and we are sending just 3 swimmers.
    Nothing wrong with criticising our lack of ambition. That is not an attack on the athletes who sacrifice a huge amount with minimal support. Kieran Behan was working on the buildings this Spring to pay his bills, despite having qualified for the Olympics.

Are not most of our athletes generously grant aided ?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

marienbad wrote: »

It's a vexed question. I doubt anyone who loves sport and understands its importance in a social context would hold the opinion that our athletes are sufficiently funded. But then there's probably a sizeable contingent who think too much money goes to sport anyway and that could be going to hospitals/emergency services etc as if the two aren't inter-related to begin with. At least in Shane Ross, that well known sports fanatic, our athletes have a determined voice at the cabinet table :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭NiallBoo

marienbad wrote: »

They get some money but it's usually a pittance compared to how much it actually costs them to live and train.

Lack of money and facilities are they big things stopping athletes from developing to international standard.

• Advertisement

NiallBoo wrote: »
    They get some money but it's usually a pittance compared to how much it actually costs them to live and train.

Lack of money and facilities are they big things stopping athletes from developing to international standard.

Lack of interest from Irish people is the big one. We just don't care enough about sports. Look at any sporting event here, the attendances are all very poor compared to equivalents in most countries. That extrapolates out into funding etc

Advertisement