Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Road to Rio 2016 - Irish Olympic News

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Oldira

feargale wrote: »
    _______________________________________________________ QUALIFIED FOR RIO. ( Total 76 ) ____________________________________________

Athletics

We have qualified a team of 17.

Mark English - 800m
    Ciara Everard - 800m
    Ciara Mageen - 1,500m
    Thomas Barr - 400m hurdles
    Kerry O'Flaherty - 3,000m steeplechase
    Sara Treacy - 3,000m steeplechase
    Michelle Finn - 3,000m steeplechase
    Fionnualla McCormack - 10,000m, marathon
    Alex Wright - 20k walk, 50k walk
    Rob Heffernan - 20k walk, 50k walk
    Brendan Boyce - 50k walk
    Tori Pena - Pole vault
    Lizzie Lee - marathon
    Breege Connolly - marathon
    Kevin Seaward - marathon
    Mick Clohissey - marathon
    Paul Pollock - marathon
    The following have been named as reserves for Rio in the marathon; Gladys Ganiel, Barbara Sanchez, Sergiu Ciobanu, Sean Hehir. Ciobanu wasn't happy about the decision. It is likely Fionnuala McCormack will run the marathon and not the 10k.

Badminton:

Men's individual - Scott Evans
    Women's individual - Chloe Magee

Boxing:

Paddy Barnes - Light fly (49kg)
    Brendan Irvine - Fly (52kg)
    Michael Conlan - Bantam (56kg)
    David Oliver Joyce - Light (60kg)
    Steven Donnelly - Welter (69kg)
    Michael O'Reilly - Middle (75kg)
    Joe Ward - Light Heavy (81kg)
    Katie Taylor - Light (60kg)

Cycling:

Men's road race - Dan Martin
    Men's road race -Nicholas Roche
    Track cycling - Women's Kierin - Shannon McCurly

Diving:

Men's 3m spring-board - Oliver Dingley

Equestrian:

Clare Abbott - 3 Day Eventing
    Jonty Evans - 3 Day Eventing
    Mark Kyle - 3 Day Eventing
    Padraig McCarthy - 3 Day Eventing
    Greg Broderick - Show Jumping
    Judy Reynolds - Dressage

Golf:

Padraig Harrington
    Seamus Power
    Leona Maguire

Gymnastics:

Men's individual - Kieran Behan
    Women's individual - Ellis O'Reilly

Hockey:

Men's team (16 players)

Modern Pentathlon:

Arthur Lannigan-O'Keeffe - individual
    Natalya Coyle - individual

Rowing:

Lightweight double sculls women - Sinead Jennings/Claire Lambe
    Lightweight double sculls men - Paul & Gary O'Donovan
    Women's single sculls - Sanita Puspure

Sailing:

Annalise Murphy - Laser Radial
    Finn Lynch - Laser
    Ryan Seaton & Matt McGovern - 49er
    Andrea Brewster & Saskia Tidey - 49er FX

Swimming:

Fiona Doyle - 1oom breaststroke
    Shane Ryan - 1oom backstroke
    Nicholas Quinn - 200m breaststroke

Triathlon:

Men's individual - Bryan Keane
    Women's individual - Aileen Reid

Probably Stephanie Meadows will be added to that list but that is probably our final team. I though we would comfortably beat 80 a few months ago but a few of our contenders met with misfortune.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Oldira wrote: »
    Probably Stephanie Meadows will be added to that list but that is probably our final team. I though we would comfortably beat 80 a few months ago but a few of our contenders met with misfortune.

Looking at it, we seem to be down by around 10 on London numbers if you take hockey and golf out which have added an extra 19 this time. Athletics would account for around half of those, but I'm struggling to account for the other half. Maybe sailing is down as well. Also the first time in a while there'll be no shooter there I think.

Looking at it, we seem to be down by around 10 on London numbers if you take hockey and golf out which have added an extra 19 this time. Athletics would account for around half of those, but I'm struggling to account for the other half. Maybe sailing is down as well. Also the first time in a while there'll be no shooter there I think.

Meadows now official. Announced it on her Twitter feed in the last hour.

No shooter, no canoeists and no Judo. Rowing,boxing and Gymnastics all up but most sports are all down 1 or 2 places.

Just shows how hard it is to qualify nowadays.

No shooter, no canoeists and no Judo. Rowing,boxing and Gymnastics all up but most sports are all down 1 or 2 places.

Ah, the canoeists! I was forgetting them. I'd have high hopes for 2020, I believe there's great progress being made out in Abbottstown with facilities and services and would expect it to have a beneficial effect down the line in terms of numbers qualifying. But that's for the future. Still quite a bit of medal potential there so the numbers aren't everything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

The notable exception being the marathon which relative to other events and sports has very soft qualification.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,166 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭flynng

Just wondering if there are any more wildcards or invitations to be given out by various sports?I know we are on hold for the team showjumping but are all sports now closed for qualification?

Just wondering if there are any more wildcards or invitations to be given out by various sports?I know we are on hold for the team showjumping but are all sports now closed for qualification?

flynng wrote: »

Not 100% to be honest. Think it's about 100 per cent done with just the Invitational wild cards to be handed out which don't affect us, only those I believe that had an average of 6 at the last two Games or something like that. I saw where India were trying to get a wild card for Mary Kom, kinda like the talk of Joe Ward in 2012, but they were turned down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

What about the show jumpers any update on them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭RuckingSwimmer

I see the the tennis players are starting to pull out because of Zika too - Raonic and Berdych are out of the men's and Halep and Azarenka from the women's. Azarenka slightly different reason as she's currently pregnant

Christine McMahon ran 56.06 yesterday. That's a bit cruel as it's too late for Olympic selection.

Nearly all qualifying is finished/finishes this week. We're unlikely to get any more sports through qualifying but there are people in reserve spots in showjumping, athletics, canoeing and even weightlifting

It's still very unlikely we'll add to our team of 77 though

Random Olympic question. Does anybody know what the story is with the Olympic flame for Rio? Usually the flame burns in the Olympic Stadium, which is where the athletics takes place and where the ceremonies take place. However these Games are unusual in that the ceremonies take place in the Maracana, and the athletics takes place in the Olympic Stadium, which is smaller in size (approx 60,000). It seems wrong to me that the flame would burn for 16 days inside the Maracana when the only events on there are football, and those football matches are only the semi finals and finals, towards the end of the games. I'm very traditional, and very biased towards my own sport, so I believe it would be wrong not to have the flame burning inside the stadium where the T&F is taking place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭NiallBoo

Dodge wrote: »
    Nearly all qualifying is finished/finishes this week. We're unlikely to get any more sports through qualifying but there are people in reserve spots in showjumping, athletics, canoeing and even weightlifting

It's still very unlikely we'll add to our team of 77 though

On that note... http://www.canoeicf.com/news/icf-backs-zero-tolerance-stance-and-removes-cheats-olympic-places

Some Sprint paddlers from Belarus and Romania have been banned for doping and qualification spots have opened up.

Don't think any of them will go to any Irish paddlers - depends how they reassign it - but I guess Michael Fitzsimons in k1 1000m might be an outside hope?

Chivito550 wrote: »
    Random Olympic question. Does anybody know what the story is with the Olympic flame for Rio?

Yup, they've got it sorted:

UTfpayj.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭curly from cork

Schedule of hockey matches. All will be televised.

Saturday 06 August v India 3pm
    Sunday 07 August v Netherlands 10pm
    Tuesday 09 August v Germany 4.30pm
    Thursday 11 August v Canada 3pm
    Friday 12 August v Argentina 11.30pm

When will the final decision be made on the "Ukrainian" showjumping team's ability to compete? Are we eligible for any places in the shooting or can Derek Burnett go on holidays!?!

When will the final decision be made on the "Ukrainian" showjumping team's ability to compete? Are we eligible for any places in the shooting or can Derek Burnett go on holidays!?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,412 ✭✭✭finbarrk

Looks like the Ukrainians will be show jumping. Today is the closing date for entries.

If Russia is to get a total ban, as is being discussed on the back of the McLaren report, we could be in line for more Irish qualifiers.

It's going to be a busy week

Dodge wrote: »
    If Russia is to get a total ban, as is being discussed on the back of the McLaren report, we could be in line for more Irish qualifiers.

It's going to be a busy week

Will they extend the deadlines for confirming qualificationa if that happens? Or is it just too close to the event?

These are incredible numbers 1

Final swimming entries released by FINA. Here's the events for Irish swimmers

Shane Ryan
    50m free (b)
    100m free (b)
    100m back (a)

Nicholas Quinn
    100m breast (b)
    200m breast (a)

Fiona Doyle
    100m breast (a)
    200m breast (b)

The 3 swimmers had to get at least one A standard, and that qualified them to race in any events in which they had B standards.

So 7 events in total for Ireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 leotard12

What is the story with Ciaran O'LionAird?

leotard12 wrote: »
    What is the story with Ciaran O'LionAird?

Injured for most of the season. He's most likely retiring

Btw Olympic council confirmed the team of 77. Stephanie Meadow was the last in

Always thought he was something that he wasn't anyway..didn't like his attitude

• Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

leotard12 wrote: »
    Always thought he was something that he wasn't anyway..didn't like his attitude

That's a bit rough. I'm not sure that he always made the best training decisions but I'm too far away from him to make an informed judgement. I've never met him but the bits and pieces I did see he seemed relatively inoffensive and just focused on being the best that he can be. I'm said to see him walk away from the sport but if it's the best decision for him then I'm glad that he has made it.

• Advertisement

Clearlier wrote: »
    That's a bit rough. I'm not sure that he always made the best training decisions but I'm too far away from him to make an informed judgement. I've never met him but the bits and pieces I did see he seemed relatively inoffensive and just focused on being the best that he can be. I'm said to see him walk away from the sport but if it's the best decision for him then I'm glad that he has made it.

His interview after the Olympics in 2012 stank of spoiled brat..harsh but my opinion

Advertisement