Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PSNI Recruitment - Stage 4 - The Medical

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Johannes_Cabal

Goonerdee wrote: »
    Anyone know what the deal is with asthma. My doc is wanting me to get checked for asthma, there's part of me almost not wanting to go.

Pretty sure it's fine, it's not like the armed forces where it's an automatic bar.

I had asthma as a child but managed to pass the medical, I think as long as it's under control it shouldn't cause you to fail.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭MikeOneJuliet

Anyone know what the deal is with asthma. My doc is wanting me to get checked for asthma, there's part of me almost not wanting to go.

Also had asthma as a child. No issues so long as you have inhalers etc and take them when you need them. Dr at my medical told me it doesn't concern them unless it's unmanageable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭D4z

Few questions i'm unsure on what to say:

Regarding history of blood pressure; a few months ago I had low blood pressure due to a viral infection but I didn't go on any medications or have any followups, do I say yes to the question regarding this as it may be on my GP records?

Also the neurological question.. I've had a few concussions over the years from sports, again do I say yes to this even though I had no medications nor followups?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭Legally clueless

Hello guys. Passed my pca last friday and have got my medical questionnaire. Do I make an apt to see the doctor or do we hand the completed questionnaire to a receptionist for them to pass on to the doc.
    Wondering if it's better to make an apt and hand it to the doc in person?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 UsidoreTheBlue

Hello guys. Passed my pca last friday and have got my medical questionnaire. Do I make an apt to see the doctor or do we hand the completed questionnaire to a receptionist for them to pass on to the doc. Wondering if it's better to make an apt and hand it to the doc in person?

I would make an appointment and explain what it is for if you are comfortable doing so. They receive forms from the DVA, MoD and others all the time, but having a quick chat to make sure there is not going to be an issue always helps. Source: I live with a GP.

• Advertisement

Hello guys. Passed my pca last friday and have got my medical questionnaire. Do I make an apt to see the doctor or do we hand the completed questionnaire to a receptionist for them to pass on to the doc. Wondering if it's better to make an apt and hand it to the doc in person?

I would make an appointment and explain what it is for if you are comfortable doing so. They receive forms from the DVA, MoD and others all the time, but having a quick chat to make sure there is not going to be an issue always helps. Source: I live with a GP.
    Thanks. Sometimes the receptionists at my doctors think they are docs themselves. Id rather make a discreet apt with the doc to explain rather than having to explain to the receptionist in front of a full waiting room. The joys of living in a small town

• Registered Users Posts: 12 newfoundglory

I passed my fitness one day last week. Just wondering has anyone got their medical date or have any idea of when it could be?

Hi - I passed last week too but no date for Medical

Does anyone have any information on what exactly happens in the medical? I heard it is very much a probing session and quite intrusive? Would be good to have an idea on what will happen on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Sidelined1234

Once you get your appointment letter for the medical it outlines what to expect. Nothing intrusive or probing really. Done mine recently and it was relaxed and what one would expect

• Advertisement

I've got my date and email, however it doesn't really specify what will be done on the date. I overheard people at the pca mention it and it sounded a bit probey.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Sidelined1234

D4z wrote: »
    I've got my date and email, however it doesn't really specify what will be done on the date. I overheard people at the pca mention it and it sounded a bit probey.

I didn't get an email about the medical. It was a letter and had all the info attached. Cause as far as I know you need to show your letter when you go.
    Maybe contact them? Just to keep yourself right

I think everyone received it via email in this campaign, same as the pca.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Arko5901

It's absolutely fine. Look at page one of this thread and it pretty much outlines what's to be expected. You will receive your booklet for your doctor to fill in. There should be info attached with that. Recently completed mine, nothing to worry about. Eyesight, hearing, joints, heart, bp, urine and hair drug test. There's a but where you're in your pants (and bra if applicable) but it's all over very quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭networksearch1

If just got the call for the next squad going in and I have asthma,very mild now.
    I declared it on my form saying it was bad when I was a child but if grew out of it pretty much now.I wrote on my medical questionnaire that it didn't affect my ability to perform any aerobic activity and I also got a supporting letter from the doctor to be on the safe side .they just need to no it's manageable and that youv not been on any long term steroids etc or had any recurring infections cause by it.
    Hope that helps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 resp5

Anyone know what happens if your BMI is 30 or over? I take it they measure your height and weight again at the medical?

• Registered Users Posts: 36 RTGeorge8910

What's the dress code for the medical?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Birchwood11

What's the dress code for the medical?
    I went in joggers and a T-shirt

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Jmac21

Medical done today and email through to say I passed! Now the wait!

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭JD2020

Can anyone who has done medical recently confirm if there is changing facilities available?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Arko5901

There's a toilet. As soon as you go in you are asked for a urine sample, so you could get changed then

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭WannabePC123

Anyone think an over active thyroid would affect the chances of passing?

Hello everyone. Can someone tell me how long the medical lasts? Just wondering if I need to take the full day off work

Hello everyone. Can someone tell me how long the medical lasts? Just wondering if I need to take the full day off work

Mine took about an hour and a half including SMT. Could take longer though if you have to see the doctor about pre existing medical conditions

JD2020 wrote: »

Mine took about an hour and a half including SMT. Could take longer though if you have to see the doctor about pre existing medical conditions
    Fab thanks. Maybe il just take the day off just to be sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Wannabe123

Hi all, been lurking for a while now (over a year!) so I'm taking the leap and posting for the first time.
    Last AC didn't go my way (failed by 1 mark!!) but hopefully the next one will. Anyway, I have a querie about the medical. Long story short, 3 years ago I was on anti-depressants following a whole host of family deaths (my own father included) and illnesses etc. I've been off the medication and totally treatment free for approximately 2 years now. From what I've read and heard from sources is that OHW like applicants to have two years free and proof that you have managed well and all is "normal" etc. Has anyone got any knowledge on this matter? I've already read the whole "I think you'll be fine" and "just wait and see" replies to others in my position. I'd really prefer someone who has experience or is close to someone who has had to go through the medical with a similar issue with regard to antidepressants to respond to this. Sorry if I seem to be giving orders but I'm sure you can understand my feelings on this as I don't want a bad year in my life as a grumpy 17 year old to ruin a potential career that I've wanted since I was a kid!!
    Note; My psychiatrist stated that I was never officially diagnosed and that she is-and I quote-"throwing your file out of the window, you're fine now!" Therefore I hope this goes in my favour.
    Thanks for taking the time to read! Any advice/info is greatly appreciated!

Can someone who have completed their medical confirm if they didn't see the doctor?

It was only the 2 rooms of procedures then the drugs test?

Yeah same with me. Think you only need to see the doc if you have any medical conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭C3POPO

Can someone who have completed their medical confirm if they didn't see the doctor?

Did you not do the mobility tests (hopping, checking joints), blood pressure etc with the doc? If not, then I would follow up with them they might have made a mistake and assumed you had seen the doc!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭C3POPO

C3POPO wrote: »

Did you not do the mobility tests (hopping, checking joints), blood pressure etc with the doc? If not, then I would follow up with them they might have made a mistake and assumed you had seen the doc!
    Just saw that somebody else didnt see the doc. Maybe they took that part out of the Campaign 3 medical?

Advertisement