Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

PSNI Recruitment - Stage 4 - The Medical

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭pastiesupper

Below is a link to the Home Office National recruitment standards - medical standards for police recruitment - this might help with some questions. Not sure if the PSNI have to 100% abide by these, but it should be a reasonable guide.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/national-recruitment-standards-medical-standards-for-police-recruitment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭D4z

Can anyone help with advice for the medical regarding BMI? Is this very strictly adhered to during the medical. Even if you pass the fitness test they could bin you because you BMI is high?

"Composition Standard.
    However, you should note that the body composition standard is set at the start of the obese range, so being moderately overweight is acceptable but being obese and aspiring to meet the standard in the future is not acceptable."

"Candidate will not meet the standard if:
    BMI: candidate's body composition is greater than 30 and
    Body Fat: candidate's body fat is greater than 5% above the predicted maximum and
    Examination: candidate appears overweight at medical assessment."

If you have a BMI over 30 and you look overweight with a high body fat percentage then yes, I believe it will be held against you at medical.

BMI is nonsense in my opinion as it doesn't take into account for muscle, it is just height vs weight. My BMI claims I'm overweight with a 26.1 when I'm 6'1 and 89/90kg, however I feel when I go to 87 I look ill (BMI claims I should be a max of 85kg)

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭networksearch1

Anyone no how the drugs test part works.if something is flagged up in your system do they check with your doctor if they prescribed the medication?
    Last year I was prescribed anxiety tablets for 2 weeks wilt my partner was pregnant.i checked the classes of drugs they test for- amphetamines,cabanas,benzodiazepines etc, and they are not under any of these.
    If something comes up in your system do they check with your doctor if it is a prescribed medication? There's no additional info section in the booklet or I would add it in...
    Obviously I don't want to get black listed for bot telling them about a drug that I took for two weeks that was prescribed

Anyone no how the drugs test part works.if something is flagged up in your system do they check with your doctor if they prescribed the medication?
    Last year I was prescribed anxiety tablets for 2 weeks wilt my partner was pregnant.i checked the classes of drugs they test for- amphetamines,cabanas,benzodiazepines etc, and they are not under any of these.
    If something comes up in your system do they check with your doctor if it is a prescribed medication? There's no additional info section in the booklet or I would add it in...
    Obviously I don't want to get black listed for bot telling them about a drug that I took for two weeks that was prescribed

They'll know you were prescribed them from your medical records. There shouldn't be any issues if you only took them for a small period and weren't prescribed them for a long period. My friend who is serving was on diazepam for his finals and that wasn't held against him.

I'm worried about my fat burners, they're legal but are very strong and have compounds of amphetamines:

Yerba Mate Extract
    Acacia Rigidula Extract
    R-Beta-Methylphenylethyamine
    B-Phenylethylamine
    N-Methyl-B-Phenylethylamine
    Green Tea Extract
    Citrus Aurantium Extract
    Theobroma Cocoa Extract
    Xantheose
    Green Tea Extract
    Geranium
    Cassia Nomame Extract
    Dimethylxanthine
    5-Methoxytryplamine HCL
    Grapefruit Extract

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Redboy12345

Get off the fat burners buddy.. Green tea in the morning and a tin of monster/rockstar before training is equally effective. Decaffinated green tea before bed as well. Trust me it works haha.
    D4z wrote: »
    They'll know you were prescribed them from your medical records. There shouldn't be any issues if you only took them for a small period and weren't prescribed them for a long period. My friend who is serving was on diazepam for his finals and that wasn't held against him.

I'm worried about my fat burners, they're legal but are very strong and have compounds of amphetamines:

Yerba Mate Extract
    Acacia Rigidula Extract
    R-Beta-Methylphenylethyamine
    B-Phenylethylamine
    N-Methyl-B-Phenylethylamine
    Green Tea Extract
    Citrus Aurantium Extract
    Theobroma Cocoa Extract
    Xantheose
    Green Tea Extract
    Geranium
    Cassia Nomame Extract
    Dimethylxanthine
    5-Methoxytryplamine HCL
    Grapefruit Extract

• Advertisement

Get off the fat burners buddy.. Green tea in the morning and a tin of monster/rockstar before training is equally effective. Decaffinated green tea before bed as well. Trust me it works haha.

Those tablets were a case of trial and error and it was all error! I've taken fat burners before but never this specific brand and never again. Popped 1 instead of the recommended 2 while I was in work and about to finish. I started shaking, burning, sweating and my heart rate went through the roof, I decided to put on my HRM and it was a resting HR of 139 BPM.

There is something about having a metabolic heart rate when sitting at a desk that doesn't sit with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Drummer64

Below is a link to the Home Office National recruitment standards - medical standards for police recruitment - this might help with some questions. Not sure if the PSNI have to 100% abide by these, but it should be a reasonable guide.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/national-recruitment-standards-medical-standards-for-police-recruitment

If they use this I'm screwed, I have one of these things that probably rule you out. Had it for over 10 years and has never affected my work...

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭iamveryhopeful

You'll be okay buddy. You'll not have the drugs test until later this year and if the anxiety tablets were grouped under the above categories, you took them last year so no biggy.

Goes back 3 months and tests exclusively for the normal reccy drugs. There's a linked pdf somewhere on here.

To the other poster yeah the fat burners could trigger for Amphetamines but getting off them now should give you plenty of time for the SMT.

I told him all the sports supplements I was taking including test boosters just incase they produced a false positive

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Psni26

Can anybody tell me if you pass the PCA is it long after that you do your medical?

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭MikeOneJuliet

Psni26 wrote: »
    Can anybody tell me if you pass the PCA is it long after that you do your medical?

Usually within a few weeks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭WannabePC123

What about protein shakes? Do they have any impact on the outcome of the medical?

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Nerves2016

Anybody know anything about ACL injuries....

I had knee surgery near 4 years ago in Santry clinic. Recovered fully and am well able to get through my strength and conditioning class, run half marathons but always a worry when it comes to this medical!!!

Will my GP be able to assess the knee and give a letter to medical assessor? Or what is the process

This is one stressful process!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 36 RTGeorge8910

What about protein shakes? Do they have any impact on the outcome of the medical?

Currently taking diet whey so could anyone clarify

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Tinfoilcap

Dietary supplements do not have any impact on testing, if you have had a tooth taken out recently this could impact you, some painkillers or anaesthetics may be opiate based.

Just try to remember everything you may be adding to your diet, the staff will be able to tell you what they need to know and what they don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 takemeaway

Anyone appeal their medical decision or know anyone who has done? I failed mine and have been waiting longer than I expected to hear the outcome. Anyone know how long it usually takes?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Bananarama172

Hi everyone,

First time poster! Some really good advice on here, but I'm hoping someone would be able to confirm or deny some concerns I have.

Currently, there is very little chance I will pass the unaided vision part of the medical. My sight exceeds the standards with glasses or lenses but without.. I couldn't even squint to hazard a guess.

I've therefore looked into laser eye surgery and was all approved until I was told that there may have to be a 6 month gap between the surgery and a medical exam. This was the first I had heard of any restrictions and can't find any info in the literature available.

I don't have a date for my medical, but PCA is middle of June and therefore I'm anticipating a date in July if it follows the same layout as previous campaigns.

Long story short, is this 6 month restriction on eye surgery correct? And if you fail solely on unaided eye sight, what are your options?

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭jwhdkl5736

Hi everyone,

First time poster! Some really good advice on here, but I'm hoping someone would be able to confirm or deny some concerns I have.

Currently, there is very little chance I will pass the unaided vision part of the medical. My sight exceeds the standards with glasses or lenses but without.. I couldn't even squint to hazard a guess.

I've therefore looked into laser eye surgery and was all approved until I was told that there may have to be a 6 month gap between the surgery and a medical exam. This was the first I had heard of any restrictions and can't find any info in the literature available.

I don't have a date for my medical, but PCA is middle of June and therefore I'm anticipating a date in July if it follows the same layout as previous campaigns.

Long story short, is this 6 month restriction on eye surgery correct? And if you fail solely on unaided eye sight, what are your options?

It depends on weather your prescription has been deemed as 'stabilised'. I went for a consultation four weeks ago, 8 days later I had laser eye surgery.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭yet another lurker

Wondering if someone that did the medical in the last year or two could answer a couple of questions.

On passing the PCA you get a medical questionnaire. Is this for your doctor to fill out? Is this something they normally charge for?
    Do you have to get your entire medical records somehow? Is this something that costs a lot?

Sorry it's years since I did this and am curious.

Wondering if someone that did the medical in the last year or two could answer a couple of questions.

On passing the PCA you get a medical questionnaire. Is this for your doctor to fill out? Is this something they normally charge for?
    Do you have to get your entire medical records somehow? Is this something that costs a lot?

Yes, your Dr is to fill out the form. Some Dr's will charge, mine didn't. You don't need to see your own records, just drop it into your GP and ask them to complete it ASAP

Yes, your Dr is to fill out the form. Some Dr's will charge, mine didn't. You don't need to see your own records, just drop it into your GP and ask them to complete it ASAP

So the gp only fills in a questionnaire based on medical records, they're not actually sent off?

• Advertisement

So the gp only fills in a questionnaire based on medical records, they're not actually sent off?

Exactly. You can probably answer most questions yourself but it's for the GP to do

Thanks very much indeed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭pastiesupper

There are three sections. You fill out the first two and your GP fills out the third one. They just need to read and confirm that your answers to the first two section are correct. Your sections have to be signed and dated before the GP signs and dates theirs.

Anyone hear any dates for the next set of medicals yet...

I'm thinking the last week June / first week in July...then be August calls followed by September intake - pure speculation!

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Redboy12345

Nerves2016 wrote: »
    Anyone hear any dates for the next set of medicals yet...

I'm thinking the last week June / first week in July...then be August calls followed by September intake - pure speculation!

I emailed recruitment as I am away on holiday to the end of June.. They said they'd schedule me for the start of July! So your timeline is probably correct.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Gnik91

Hey... First time posting.. Hoping someone can help about the eye test for the medical... I've worn glasses all my life as I am short sighted.. Also wear contact lenses.. Is this going to fail me? Do you just have to meet a certain standard? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2 goingtobePC

Hi guys, just wonder does anyone know if very Mild IBS will affect the medical? thanks

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,631 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Not at all. Just might not be a good idea to load up with a Vindaloo the previous day.. just in case...

(Sorry. I couldn't resist.)
    Hi guys, just wonder does anyone know if very Mild IBS will affect the medical? thanks

Every stage of this recruitment seems to be "what ifs"....ive an old knee injury which i'm declaring, providing the consultants report from 2012 and still nervous as hell!!!!

Not much we can do at this stage but keep calm and it will all work out (hopefully). It will just be a joy to have all stages out of the way "shortly"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Goonerdee

Anyone know what the deal is with asthma. My doc is wanting me to get checked for asthma, there's part of me almost not wanting to go.

Advertisement