Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Season 6 Episode 10 "The Winds of Winter" - "Book readers"

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭tommy2bad

So much good in this episode it's hard to be nitpicky but a few small details struck me. Poor CGI in places stuff like that and the jarring change of music, threw me off for a few seconds and I felt broke the spell. For the first time I became aware I was watching an artiface. I get what they tried to do but it didn't work as well as it should IMHO.
    The passage of time is badly shown, we get sudden jumps in time without any clue as to how long or even that time has passed. You have to work it out yourself which is bad because I've no idea if my guess is right or wrong. Getting used to it now but I wish they would fix this.

Oh but the good stuff! The change of the sigil from Bolton to Stark in the OC. Cersei becoming more and more armoured up. She's now dressed like Tywin and her queen's guard are in full armour instead of the traditional white cloaks. Loved the call back after Thomin dies and she has his body cremated to Tyrion's words that all her victories will turn to ashes in her mouth. We get to see her in a state of acceptance of her fate and even embracing it.
    Dannie finally on the high seas with cavalry, infantry, and air force aboard her navy dressed in black, the Targaryen colours. Tellingly she left Meereen in a better state than she found it but still left. Perhaps she will do the same in Westeros.
    Davos nailed it in the scene with Melisandre, really felt his pain and frustration.
    Sam goes to college. Nice touch that the library reflects the opening credits montage, perhaps inferring we are watching events from a historical perspective rather than in real time.
    King in the north. Lyanna Mormont calling out the other houses and supporting Jon,OK it felt good but King of anywhere in Westeros is not exactly a permanent and pensionable position. Again Sansa being pushed towards the Iron Throne and away from Winterfell.Oh and reflecting the changes Sansa now fully dressed as a Stark. Littlefinger openly announcing his end game to Sansa might his first miscalculation.
    Dorn less annoying than usual due to Olenna bossing it.
    Arya now back in Westeros, going all LS on her enemies, the red witch heading south. Bound to meet each other I bet.
    Looking good for the next and last season.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭baza Rakus

Zillah wrote: »
    lol, shit, yes, winter officially arriving is a pretty big deal too!

Just thought it made an epic footnote to your epic post about the most epicest ep ever. It was too good to handle. I was watching on my own and nearly had a caniption looking for folk to talk to about it! My two fists punching the air moments were Arya's business and Winter arriving (loved the happiness it brought to the Starks; Dad was right). Just top class.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Greyjoy

fitz wrote: »
    Don't get the love the music is getting.
    Might be great music in and of itself, but for most of the episode it was woefully out of step with the established musical arrangements used in the show. Drew far too much attention to itself in that regard and felt jarring as a result. Definitely effected my enjoyment of the episode in a negative way.

I felt the exact same way. I said to Mrs Greyjoy as we watched that the music felt too "on the nose", like it lacked subtlety.
    Otherwise I really enjoyed the episode. high point was Arya's reveal, more than Cersei's plot that drew a real gasp of surprise from me. Other highlights were Lyanna Mormont (who is rapidly becoming a favourite character of mine) and the Queen of Thorns slapping down the sand snakes (I groaned when I saw we were revisiting Dorne in the credit sequence). I felt though they could have reminded the audience a little bit at the very end of the episode of the threat of the Walkers, that threat seems to have been forgotten about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭bur

Really wish it was Sean Bean acting out the flashback scenes, they'd be so much more poignant. It's a bit ridiculous how young they made Ned now that i think about it, it was only 18 or so years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭intheclouds

bur wrote: »
    Really wish it was Sean Bean acting out the flashback scenes, they'd be so much more poignant. It's a bit ridiculous how young they made Ned now that i think about it, it was only 18 or so years ago.

Yes, thought that myself.

Surely they could have slimmed down and CGI'd Seany a bit?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Yeah but the way CGI works, they would have had to put the fat into Drogon to balance it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭IK09

Is it wrong that I really want to bang Cersei now....

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭amos13

fitz wrote:
    I don't accept that a composer of Ramin Djawadi's talent could not have used the established instrumental palette of the show and come up with something just as tense and brooding without the introduction of modern sounding piano motifs. I accept the deliberateness of doing something different, but that difference didn't need such a fundamental shift.

Can you open a different thread on the score please, this is completely ruining the flow and enjoyment of the thread which should be about he events of the episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭granty1987

duploelabs wrote: »
    Delicious irony that Jamie and Cersei's son met his death by falling from a window

"The thing's I do for love" (Tommen, as he's falling from the window)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭dinorebel

Delete

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Greyjoy wrote: »
    I felt though they could have reminded the audience a little bit at the very end of the episode of the threat of the Walkers, that threat seems to have been forgotten about.

I felt that was deliberate - most of Westeros has forgotten about them and concentrating on petty war's and title's

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭dinorebel

IK09 wrote: »
    Is it wrong that I really want to bang Cersei now....
    Shame

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

bur wrote: »

Ned is 19/20 in the Tower of Joy scene, they absolutely nailed it. The mistake was casting Bean in the first place.

wp_rathead wrote: »
    I felt that was deliberate - most of Westeros has forgotten about them and concentrating on petty war's and title's

They haven't forgotten about them, they don't even know about them to begin with!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

bur wrote:

I thought the actor playing young Ned was spot on - really enjoyed his scenes! I think the cost of the CGI would have been too much compared to simply using a younger actor.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Ned is 19/20 in the Tower of Joy scene, they absolutely nailed it. The mistake was casting Bean in the first place.

It's the law that heroic deaths must be played by Bean

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Greyjoy

In one sense I agree, most of Westeros is fighting for the Iron Throne and ignoring the real threat. But it would have worked better by contrasting Dany's fleet sailing to Westeros with a brief glimpse of the Walkers marching towards the Wall. It's about reminding the audience not the characters.

rawn wrote: »
    I thought the actor playing young Ned was spot on - really enjoyed his scenes! I think the cost of the CGI would have been too much compared to simply using a younger actor.

If they do a prequel I'd love Robert Aramayo to be kept - was perfect for the role IMO

The showrunners said in the Battle of the Bar Stewards they were forced to pick between a CGI Ghost or Giant due to budget constraints. Maybe they did want to CGI Bean in but couldn't afford it.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭fitz

I thought they'd finish this season with a shot of a crack appearing in the Wall after Bran and Meera had crossed it.
    Would have been a much more "oh f*ck" ending than the Dany army and dragon's roaring again. Great to see the armada on its way, but feel they missed an opportunity with the Wall.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

baza Rakus wrote:
    The showrunners said in the Battle of the Bar Stewards

:pac:

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭fitz

baza Rakus wrote: »
    The showrunners said in the Battle of the Bar Stewards they were forced to pick between a CGI Ghost or Giant due to budget constraints. Maybe they did want to CGI Bean in but couldn't afford it.

And I doubt a CGI'd actual-Sean-Bean would have looked anywhere near as convincing as a young Sean Bean compared to the not-actual-Sean-Bean actor playing young Sean Bean. He was uncanny.

Plus, we'd have missed out on all the Nowy Tends memes.

And I doubt a CGI'd actual-Sean-Bean would have looked anywhere near as convincing as a young Sean Bean compared to the not-actual-Sean-Bean actor playing young Sean Bean. He was uncanny.

I agree. Thought he did a top job.

I thought they'd finish this season with a shot of a crack appearing in the Wall after Bran and Meera had crossed it.
    Would have been a much more "oh f*ck" ending than the Dany army and dragon's roaring again. Great to see the armada on its way, but feel they missed an opportunity with the Wall.

While I can't wait until The Wall inevitability comes down I'm looking forward to seeing how things play out up North with Jon and Littlefinger, down South where I'm assuming Dany is docking, and in Kingslanding where Mad Queen Cersei is going to rule ..

When Wall comes down its gonna be savage but will swallow the whole storyline

Also hopefully Euron gets his hands on Melisande - you know how he is collecting priests in the books..

Also hopefully Euron gets his hands on Melisande - you know how he is collecting priests in the books..

Is that not Victarion?

Is that not Victarion?

Read the new Aeron "The Forsaken" chapter from Winds of Winter ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭intheclouds

baza Rakus wrote: »
    I agree. Thought he did a top job.

He did do a top job, he did look like a young Ned, his accent and movements were spot on etc....

But he looked to be 19 or 20 and old Ned is in his 50s. So he was 15-20 years too young.

I cant say it ruined it for me or anything (the absolute blue balling they are giving us with the Tower of Joy is FAR more annoying tbh) - but its a small detail that they could have paid more attention to.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Great episode, no doubt it will have the usual whingers quitting watching because of some parts...see you in 10 months.

Only time I thought the music was out of place was after Aarya killed Walder. Felt that it focuses on her with the music playing a bit too long.

The King in Da Norf scene gave me goosebumps. Fully expect Littlefinger try make a move and Sansa to out manoeuvre him.

Cersei and Jaime obviously on collision course. Everything is pointing towards him becoming the Queen Slayer after killing Cersei when she threatens to burn Kings Landing while Dany's army sack the city, which would be the most satisfying conclusion story wise but it all seems very predictable. Could Aarya cross her off her list using Jaime's face?

See a lot of people complaining about Benjen leaving Bran but I assumed it was the weirwood where the Nightswatch take their vows.

Only real complaints (and I use the word very loosely) I would have were the lack of the Hound, and the white Raven going to Winterfell. Think it would have had more impact if it had arrived alongside the snows in Kings Landing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭Daith

He did do a top job, he did look like a young Ned, his accent and movements were spot on etc....

But he looked to be 19 or 20 and old Ned is in his 50s. So he was 15-20 years too young.

I think your ages here are too low. Ned was about 19 during Robert's Rebellion so Show Ned has to be older. I could easily buy him as 25 ish, add 17 years, add the North being harsh and I think it's ok.

Edit: Ned was probably about 23 in the show. So 40 ish when we see him. Don't think show Ned would be in his 50s at all. He's not that old.

Look at Obama!

Advertisement