Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Season 6 Episode 10 "The Winds of Winter" - "Book readers"

Options
18910111214»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,415 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

baza Rakus wrote: »
    Feminist Killjoys? I don't know that house, are they from the Iron Islands?
    I think they were originally from Dorne. The Tower of (Kill)joy was their seat until the male line was wiped out leaving only the female (or feminist killjoys). ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭DeadHand

What book plotlines do you think were "mutilated by feminist killjoys"? The original plot of the Sand Snakes in the books was to put Myrcella on the Iron Throne. Was it because the "alpha male" Ramsey Snow was humiliated by a woman right before he died?

There you go putting words in my mouth in an attempt to tar me as some kind of bitter Neanderthal.

What a stupid, prejudicial, condescending, disingenuous post.

To clarify, I'm perfectly happy with most of the plot. Sansa winning out was believable and satisfying as we saw her get smacked around and outplayed for so long but survive, evolve and prevail. Helped by the fact the actress did should an excellent job. Ditto Arya. Ditto Dany. The Yara Greyjoy plot line works too in that she's had/has her difficulties with Balon and Euron but the protrayal is so good you can believe in her. Ladies Mormont and Oleanna are absolute crackers.

Brienne vs. The Hound was partly a sop to the same crowd but was so brilliantly done I neither regret it or complain about it.

What hasn't been well done has been the Sandsnakes vs. Doran or, indeed, anything to do with them. Read back a few posts and you'll see I advanced a clearly superior way to abridge and progress the Dorne storyline. Now, D&D are obviously smarter and better storytellers than I so other factors must be at play here. It's clear they were by political considerations to ruin this aspect of the plot. Ellaria and the teenage mutant ninja turtles had to win against all logic and plot sense to placate certain sections.

As always, easier to sneer than argue.

DeadHand wrote: »
    There you go putting words in my mouth in an attempt to tar me as some kind of bitter Neanderthal.

What a stupid, prejudicial, condescending, disingenuous post.

To clarify, I'm perfectly happy with most of the plot. Sansa winning out was believable and satisfying as we saw her get smacked around and outplayed for so long but survive, evolve and prevail. Helped by the fact the actress did should an excellent job. Ditto Arya. Ditto Dany. The Yara Greyjoy plot line works too in that she's had/has her difficulties with Balon and Euron but the protrayal is so good you can believe in her. Ladies Mormont and Oleanna are absolute crackers.

Brienne vs. The Hound was a slight sop to the same crowd but was so brilliantly done I neither regret it or complain about it.

What hasn't been well done has been the Sandsnakes vs. Doran or, indeed, anything to do with them. Read back a few posts and you'll see I advanced a clearly superior way to abridge and progress the Dorne storyline. Now, D&D are obviously smarter and better storytellers than I so other factors must be at play here. It's clear they were by political considerations to ruin this aspect of the plot. Ellaria and the teenage mutant ninja turtles had to win against all logic and plot sense to placate certain sections.
    And I put forward the equally clear and obvious likelihood that they've replaced Arianne with Ellaria.

With so many prominent and strong female characters: Sansa, Arya, Brienne, Danaerys, Cersei and Olenna (never mind Margaery and Catelyn) they were under pressure for another?

And I put forward the equally clear and obvious likelihood that they've replaced Arianne with Ellaria.

With so many prominent and strong female characters: Sansa, Arya, Brienne, Danaerys, Cersei and Olenna (never mind Margaery and Catelyn) they were under pressure for another?

So many prominent and strong female characters haven't stopped feminists whinging about the show at every available opportunity. They are proceeding with caution lest the harpies descend yet again: the mess that is the Dorne storyline is a symptom of this caution.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,844 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

So many prominent and strong female characters haven't stopped feminists whinging about the show at every available opportunity. They are proceeding with caution lest the harpies descend yet again: the mess that is the Dorne storyline is a symptom of this caution.

So a few extreme feminists kick up a fuss about scenes like Sansa getting raped, Sansa nearly getting raped, Craster raping all of his daughters to create more daughters to rape etc. HBO obviously had no problem including all of those regardless of the predicted feminist backlash, I can't see why they wouldn't have carried on with Doran putting the Sand Snakes and Ellaria to death for their treachery and then teaming up with Varys.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭baza Rakus

Do The Harpies you refer to form a political block? Or are they group who lobby HBO to carry out their evil doins? Or are they The Harpies of Greek folklore, who carry evil doers to The Furies?? And don't even get me started on Davey Arthur!

I can't keep up with all this mixing of current politics and fantastical myths!

As always, easier to sneer than argue.
    Sense of humour deficit? Beer is the cure. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭intheclouds

Feminist Killjoys?

Sounds like a heavy metal band.

Can't see what relationship it has with Game of Thrones?

Does anyone really think the show is being written to placate anyone? Brienne was an ass kicker in the books too? I'm confused.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Did Alt Shift X just not bother with the last episode?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

rawn wrote: »
    I thought the actor playing young Ned was spot on - really enjoyed his scenes! I think the cost of the CGI would have been too much compared to simply using a younger actor.

one-does-not-6i0u8b.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 18,092 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Gotta wonder how different will the book be when it is finally released. Sansa and Arya for one will have very different arcs to the show I think. Same with Cersei Jamie and Kingslanding. Cersei used the wildfire stock to blow up the tower of the hand so how will she tackle the high sparrow and high garden. Hope the book is out by Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,881 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

She didnt use all the Wildfyre though, she just got the pyromancers to burn the tower, theres a vast stockpile of Wildfyre in Kings Landing to be used at some point.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭baza Rakus

Gotta wonder how different will the book be when it is finally released. Sansa and Arya for one will have very different arcs to the show I think. Same with Cersei Jamie and Kingslanding. Cersei used the wildfire stock to blow up the tower of the hand so how will she tackle the high sparrow and high garden. Hope the book is out by Christmas.

Aye xmas 2020 at this rate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

In the books was LF going to marry Sansa to someone called Harry? I don't think Arya's story will be that different.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

Paddy Cow wrote:
    In the books was LF going to marry Sansa to someone called Harry? I don't think Arya's story will be that different.

Yeah but i think his plan regarding sansa is much the same. Give her as many claims to lands as possible then marry her

• Registered Users Posts: 18,092 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

I think his plan is to ruin Sansa so she'll settle for him, while she is in the guise of his bastard alyane littlefinger is in control but if she becomes Sansa again the power reverts to her name and claim on the north.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭Cervantes2

Loved the episode.
    Just a question: Does Cersei know that Olenna Tyrell helped poison Joffrey? I can't remember if that came up in the previous seasons?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

Cervantes2 wrote: »
    Loved the episode.
    Just a question: Does Cersei know that Olenna Tyrell helped poison Joffrey? I can't remember if that came up in the previous seasons?

Don't think so, pretty sure she still thinks it was Sansa/Tyrion, afair she mentioned it in an episode this season

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Cervantes2 wrote: »
    Loved the episode.

Up until the close of season 6 the show only alluded to littlefinger being involved as far as I can recall.

• Advertisement

Up until the close of season 6 the show only alluded to littlefinger being involved as far as I can recall.

Alluded to it?

Was it not obvious Littlefinger was heavily involved by the whole Ser Dontos/Sansa escape while Joffrey was choking to death and then Littlefinger killing Ser Dontos as soon as Sansa was aboard?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Alluded to it?

Was it not obvious Littlefinger was heavily involved by the whole Ser Dontos/Sansa escape while Joffrey was choking to death and then Littlefinger killing Ser Dontos as soon as Sansa was aboard?

I meant with regards to not pointing to anyone else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

I meant with regards to not pointing to anyone else.
    Olenna was involved as well. She was playing with Sansa's necklace just before Joffrey topped it and I'm pretty sure there was a scene where she said something along the lines to Margery of "did you really think I'd let you marry him?" (or maybe I'm making that up in my mind??? )

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭xper

In the conversation between Littlefinger and Lady Olenna when they meet at his thrashed brothel in season 5, she says " ... We killed a king together ..."
    YouTube

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    Olenna was involved as well. She was playing with Sansa's necklace just before Joffrey topped it and I'm pretty sure there was a scene where she said something along the lines to Margery of "did you really think I'd let you marry him?" (or maybe I'm making that up in my mind??? )
    xper wrote: »
    In the conversation between Littlefinger and Lady Olenna when they meet at his thrashed brothel in season 5, she says " ... We killed a king together ..."
    YouTube

Both of these things.

Olenna and Littlefinger were in it together.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭jennyjoy

I hate and love Cersei so much

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭jennyjoy

It was by far the best episode in the show other than when Joffrey died

Advertisement