Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Season 6 Episode 10 "The Winds of Winter" - "Book readers"

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭Daith

J. Marston wrote: »
    Maybe Euron will pull Dragonbinder out of somewhere. That would even the odds a little bit.

Dany has to lose a Dragon right? Either death or someone else controls them.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,009 ✭✭✭fitz

Don't get the love the music is getting.
    Might be great music in and of itself, but for most of the episode it was woefully out of step with the established musical arrangements used in the show. Drew far too much attention to itself in that regard and felt jarring as a result. Definitely effected my enjoyment of the episode in a negative way.

Aside from that, the Varys thing was patently stupid. Went back and looked at the sails, there's nothing definitively Dornish or Tyrellish that I can see. Why didn't they just leave him out of the scene? He was just window-dressing anyway, it was unnecessary having him there and again, just took me out of the moment.

The whispering in the TOJ was silly too. Just bloody say it ffs.

And though I'd have preferred a final scene involving Bran crossing the wall and it cracking to yet another "Dany's epic dragon army" scene, the performances, payoffs and cinematography were incredible. Really great episode for the most part.

Still, that music though...very poorly judged.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

There's very clearly a big sail with a spear against a red sun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Daith wrote: »
    Or Wylla who I presume was the woman in the Tower (was there multiple women?).

Jon would have needed to be fed on way back North right?

Also are we *sure* Bran can't have children? Him and Meera would be nice given how close their families are.
    of course he can have kids

Tigger wrote: »
    of course he can have kids

Yeah. There just seemed to be assumption floating around that the Stark line was dead without Sansa's kids or Jon's keeping the Stark name.

Wonder if Bran will just be chilling out at the Weirwood Tree if he gets back to Winterfell

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭DownOneTourist

Yeah. There just seemed to be assumption floating around that the Stark line was dead without Sansa's kids or Jon's keeping the Stark name.

Wonder if Bran will just be chilling out at the Weirwood Tree if he gets back to Winterfell

Doesn't he have to stay in tree? or no?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Er Howland Reed and Bran Stark? Why would the North not believe them anyway? They all know the story of Lyanna so it's not a stretch!
    The little crannogman Howland Reed who hasn't left his home in 15 years? Or crippled Bran Stark who disappeared for few years and now starts having visions proclaiming Jon Snow not only a Stark but a Targaryen no less, just in time to legitimise him as King of the North? The whole thing would sound preposterous imo

Edit: A physical test of Jon being burned would be necessary I think

• Registered Users Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Didn't help viserys

• Registered Users Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

duploelabs wrote: »
    Didn't help viserys

Or Jon.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Hans Bricks

"Whats wrong ? Not blonde enough ?" Bronn <3

Nice stage set for next season. Lannisters vs. everyone else and the North preparing for the WWs.

Just on the timeline/jumping etc. Can we assume Jamie's departure from the Twins took place a couple of weeks before the events of KL ? Same with Varys, who's to say the Dornish and Tyrells ships didn't meet Dany somewhere just south of the Narrow Sea ?

• Advertisement

The little crannogman Howland Reed who hasn't left his home in 15 years? Or crippled Bran Stark who disappeared for few years and now starts having visions proclaiming Jon Snow not only a Stark but a Targaryen no less, just in time to legitimise him as King of the North? The whole thing would sound preposterous imo

Targareyns can be burned. Summerhall as an example. That's not a good test especially if he's half Targ. A Dragons reaction might be an indicator.

I don't see why you think the North would dismiss Bran or Howland that easily. They're believing Jon about the Walkers and that's actually more far fetched. They know about Lyanna. The idea of honourable Ned have a bastard baby seems odder than it being Lyanna's baby. I think you're way too dismissive of Bran and Howland here.

Liam O wrote: »
    Or Jon.

The burn from the battle with the wight? Forgot about that

• Registered Users Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Targareyns can be burned. Summerhall as an example. That's not a good test especially if he's half Targ. A Dragons reaction might be an indicator.

I don't see why you think the North would dismiss Bran or Howland that easily. They're believing Jon about the Walkers and that's actually more far fetched. They know about Lyanna. The idea of honourable Ned have a bastard baby seems odder than it being Lyanna's baby. I think you're way too dismissive of Bran and Howland here.
    Bran is Jon's brother as far as Ned has said and the head of the house that would stand to gain the most from the news. Also he would be claiming to have seen it in a vision of the past. Also Howland Reed is seen as a recluse frog person. Hardly the best witnesses.

Liam O wrote: »
    Bran is Jon's brother as far as Ned has said and the head of the house that would stand to gain the most from the news. Also he would be claiming to have seen it in a vision of the past. Also Howland Reed is seen as a recluse frog person. Hardly the best witnesses.

Really think you're being way too dismissive too. Howland is still the head of a Northern House. Plus everyone knows he was actually there and saved Neds life so don't know why people wouldn't beleive him? He's the best witness.

However I don't think Jon will just be told. Something will happen that will make people think about it.

Tyrion style interaction with a dragon.

Tyrion style interaction with a dragon.

Yes I think this is more likely. Though that brings up Tyrion as a half Targ too! They're everywhere!

Fair enough, but at least it would be a physical test that would be hard to deny, testimony is just too unreliable and convenient timing and I think most would view it as such, even in the North which as we've seen can be a bit more political than it likes to make out.

Fair enough, but at least it would be a physical test that would be hard to deny, testimony is just too unreliable and convenient timing and I think most would view it as such, even in the North which as we've seen can be a bit more political than it likes to make out.

The thing is I've no idea what Jon being a half Targ acheives. Is he going to want the Iron Throne? Doesn't seem likely so not sure what it is going to do.

Yes I think this is more likely. Though that brings up Tyrion as a half Targ too! They're everywhere!

Sure Rhaegar's first (perhaps only...) wife was Dornish. They don't all exclusively **** their sisters!

I was always on the fence about the Tyrion the Targ theory but I think that scene has edged me towards maybe a 65-35 "he's riding the ****ing dragon" view of it.

The thing is I've no idea what Jon being a half Targ acheives. Is he going to want the Iron Throne? Doesn't seem likely so not sure what it is going to do.

If he had his way, I don't think he'd even want to be King in the the North or wanted to be Lord Commander 998. However, if a sense of duty takes over, he might well do the "right and honourable thing".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭SB_Part2

I'd bet Vary's knows Jon's true parentage.

Yeah it be strange for him to want the Throne, his fight is with the Walkers.. but it will have to mean something I hope otherwise it would be a huge waste of time :pac: My theory is that Jon will refuse to surrender the North to Daenarys and as she moves to destroy them Jon's true heritage will be revealed somehow (a dragon burning would have been cool) leading to an alliance between them to fight the Others

Yeah it be strange for him to want the Throne, his fight is with the Walkers.. but it will have to mean something I hope otherwise it would be a huge waste of time :pac: My theory is that Jon will refuse to surrender the North to Daenarys and as she moves to destroy them Jon's true heritage will be revealed somehow (a dragon burning would have been cool) leading to an alliance between them to fight the Others

Yeah I think a person with Stark/Targ blood will be needed to do something. I think Sansa will end up being the politician against the South.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

Well, it means that he has that magical Targaryen blood that Melisandre likes so much. If a few drops of Stannis's blood were enough to bump off 3 kings then what could Jon's do seeing as his would be much less diluted than Stannis's?

SB_Part2 wrote: »
    I'd bet Vary's knows Jon's true parentage.

And littlefinger too considering his reaction to Sansa when they're chatting in the crypts of winterfell

So Benjen is half wight/human, able to speak and have memories. You could say....

he's not quite wight in the head

High Sparrow:" We cannot escape the justice of the gods-"

Margaery: "Forget about the bloody gods and listen to what I'm telling you!"

I'll miss her!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭intheclouds

Glad to see Melisandre sent south, herself and Arya will hopefully meet again as she foresaw.

I am furious at how they have blue balled us AGAIN with the Tower of Joy. I literally shouted "OH FOR **** SAKE" at the telly. I think they've ruined that reveal for the book readers at this stage. For me anyway.

The Northerners are mad for a King in the North aren't they!

I loved dark sexy Cersei and her blowing up of the sept. Be very interesting to see Jaimes reaction! Poor old Tommen. Ser Loras went out with a bit of a damp squib as well.

The thing I'm most disappointed about is the lack of action with Tormund and Brienne! I live in hope.

Would have liked a quick wrap up scene for the Hound too.

Good old Shame, zombie raping and a slow death awaits. Funny how Cersei has become a villain I like!

The Targaryen fleet looked fantastic. Seriously, fantastic. The Nazi style propaganda and pageantry is amazing. Looking forward to their arrival in Westeros!

Oh, great music, really added to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Hans Bricks

Wouldn't the Valonquer prophecy be so fitting for Jamie and Cersei now in the sense that Jamie would really live up to the Kingslayer reputation if he had to kill the Queen ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭amos13

Daith wrote:

No he won't want it. But he didn't want to be lord commander or king in da norf either but there ya go. He is the song of ice and fire lads, north and south united in one person, the way no other king has been before.

Advertisement