Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lifehacking pics - Simples.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,159 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I don't get the Coke bottle pencil sharpener

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Mellor wrote: »
    I don't get the Coke bottle pencil sharpener
    I think it is just a way of making coils of strong plastic ribbons for use in other projects.

rubadub wrote: »
    I think it is just a way of making coils of strong plastic ribbons for use in other projects.

Ah ok, would they be tie-able?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,126 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Any way of slowing it down?

Any way of slowing it down?

The larger version (link in original post) appears to run a little slower.
    If you really want to slow it down, you could use a video speed extension for chrome like this. I fine it a very handy.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/video-speed-controller/nffaoalbilbmmfgbnbgppjihopabppdk?hl=en-US

• Advertisement

Ah ok, would they be tie-able?
    I doubt it would be suitable. You might be able to join them by heating or glueing. Coke bottles would be PET, if you pour boiling water on them or use a heat gun it would shrink. So you could glue them and shrink it later to get a really tight fit.

If you have a soldering iron you can wrap the end in tin foil for working with plastic. Not sure how well PET works. Wiki says it can be used in "plastic welding"
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plastic_welding

• Registered Users Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭Doge

I don't have a pic for this knot hack, but since this is the main thread on the forum I said I'd post it here.

I have 2 of those cheap chinese nylon hammocks you can buy online that have an orange rope doubled over at both ends going through loops which have a knot tied around each loop.

I wanted to know how to make the knot because I'm clueless when it comes to knotting, so here's what I did:

I recorded a video of me undoing the knot slowly using my android phone,
    Then used an app called Reverse Video to create a new video played backwards.

And voila, the reversed video looked like I was tieing the knot from scratch and I learned how to do it!

It's possibly a common hack but i felt proud that I that I came up with the idea myself. :)

Post the video on youtube

Excellent site on knots here, with step by step pictures

http://www.animatedknots.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭suave.4u

Easy way to share crisps:

CLZ7wGg.gif

• Advertisement

You can't embed web video. You need the gif link. (I won't embed it to steal your thunder)
    http://i.imgur.com/CLZ7wGg.gif

I've actually been doing that for a while now. It's really handy.

You can't embed web video. You need the gif link. (I won't embed it to steal your thunder)
    http://i.imgur.com/CLZ7wGg.gif

I've actually been doing that for a while now. It's really handy.

haha, thanks buddy. Another life hacking tip learnt today :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭kitten_k

13237633_511609152377419_2088674853227246092_n.jpg?oh=a2633d2e2517f97fb2ea9165ffe0a65a&oe=57DB5429

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭Dramatik

Ever bought a pair of shoes but they turned out to be slightly too big and you were unable to return them for whatever reason. Take an insole out of an old pair of shoes an put over the insole of your new pair to make them a smaller fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

Dramatik wrote: »
    Ever bought a pair of shoes but they turned out to be slightly too big and you were unable to return them for whatever reason. Take an insole out of an old pair of shoes an put over the insole of your new pair to make them a smaller fit.

Or wear 2 pairs of socks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭SuperS54

Or buy a set of insoles, who would want an old set of insoles in their new shoes?

SuperS54 wrote: »
    Or buy a set of insoles, who would want an old set of insoles in their new shoes?

:)
    Cause this is the aliexpress thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

How Bangladeshi inventors are making eco-friendly air conditioners from plastic bottles

plasticbottleairconpassive.jpg

http://observers.france24.com/en/20160602-bangladesh-air-conditioner-plastic-bottles-technology
    The change in pressure that occurs when air enters the wider part of the bottle and comes out through the bottleneck cools the air. It seems uncanny, but the principle is simple. Blow on your hand with your mouth wide open. The air feels hot, doesn’t it? Now, blow on your hand with your lips pursed. It feels like a cool breeze.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

That's very smart. :)

I wonder, how much of a breeze would you need to actually feel the benefit? Would it still work if the air was dead still and very humid? And if you had the bottles installed the other way around, with the small opening on the outside and the large opening through a large hole, would it do the opposite and work as a heater of some sort?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

New Home wrote: »
    That's very smart. :)

I wonder, how much of a breeze would you need to actually feel the benefit? Would it still work if the air was dead still and very humid? And if you had the bottles installed the other way around, with the small opening on the outside and the large opening through a large hole, would it do the opposite and work as a heater of some sort?

It doesn't cool the air at all, it just funnels it and speeds it up which feels cooler. It won't work in still air, there has to be airflow for it to work.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Ah, fair enough. I thought it might have a cooling effect like with gas being released out of a canister, but I suppose pressure might be a factor too, in that case.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Ah, fair enough. I thought it might have a cooling effect like with gas being released out of a canister, but I suppose pressure might be a factor too, in that case.

The thing is, there is a pressure change as it flows through but they don't mention that it goes back to atmospheric pressure so there's no net change (and there can't be since that would violate the 2nd law of thermodynamics).

0893d7f633d424210acf8b61851a6af7.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 13,657 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Cheers. Going to do this today as the new pair of shoes I got are 1/2 size too big and no chance of return plus the old shoe soles are still fine.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

9891_f0c9_960.jpeg

Looks like a good idea (at least as much as the upside-down iron to make toast...), but I wonder whether the metal tube of the ironing board's legs and the joints would be strong enough to carry the weight of anyone bigger than a small child.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,898 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

How much height are youactually gaining there? You'd still have a sore back by the time you had a full service done.

Looks like a good idea (at least as much as the upside-down iron to make toast...), but I wonder whether the metal tube of the ironing board's legs and the joints would be strong enough to carry the weight of anyone bigger than a small child.
    It's raising it to carry out maintained, he's not climbing on and pedalling it.

• Advertisement

Ah, fair enough. We just used to turn them upside down to do that, so that they'd balance on the handles and the seat.

Advertisement