Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

you should just "GET OVER" ever owning a home says PP boss

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭ClovenHoof

No reason why anyone should own a home when you think about it. Its banking scam at the end of the day.

The leasing system is the issue in Ireland. People should be allowed leases up to 25 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,964 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

I can't be the only one who inferred a brainfart from Paddy Power from the thread title, can I?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

ClovenHoof wrote: »
    No reason why anyone should own a home when you think about it. Its banking scam at the end of the day.

The leasing system is the issue in Ireland. People should be allowed leases up to 25 years.

And when they retire, how should they pay for rent for the next 20-30 years?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,004 ✭✭✭conorhal

People won't retire,they will work until they become a burden on the corporations due to failing health and then liquidation

Into the suicide booth you economically unviable individual!

I suspect that within a generation the elderly will form a substantial cohort of the homless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

PP is Paddy Power, not Paypal ffs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

conorhal wrote: »

I suspect that within a generation the elderly will form a substantial cohort of the homless.

when the pensions bomb goes off it will be as bad as 2008

todays pensioners are living in a golden age

anyone under 35 will be lucky to get food stamps if they ever get to retire

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

I haven't noticed. :(

I wouldn't have thought so. Thousands of pensions were pretty much wiped out by the property and banking collapse.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Hans Bricks

Yes, why on Earth would I want to own a property with no debt baggage by the time I retire ? Of course I want to keep paying the average mortgage value on a rental property with my pension. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

The renting laws need to change first.

1: Long term leases need to looked at. 10+years.

2; More long term security.

Only then will it be a viable option imo.

Its more about the security from rent increases, as someone says later on, how can a pensioner ( not to mention what they might pay this from assuming they ever had enough to get by anyway), even if they could manage to pay into a pension, it seems backwards, funding a pension, money into organisations to then hoover up properties for people to rent off.
    People was us to be more "european" when it comes to home ownership

Where's our 1.5% fixed 10/15 year mortgages like our European counterparts are enjoying at the moment?

or cheaper everything? when its about increased or different costs here, its all, "were different, transportation costs, unique market conditions, a dot on the landscape for large businesses.
    but when its about realising the benefits, no chance.
    I don't think there's anything wrong with working towards owning your own home once you're realistic about it.
    I know I'd rather pay a grand off my mortgage and have something to leave my child when I die than pay a grand to live somewhere.

I would be so worried that I would die and leave any kids I had without a home or anywhere to go. It's security and peace of mind

ffs, havent you heard of euthanasia or soylent green.
    I never said there was anything wrong with it, I said too much pressure has been put on generations of people to do so.

Because the alternatives now are what?
    I think you'd be mad not to be looking at some form of home ownership in this country.

the way it is now, and seems will be forever, yes.
    I think you are being overly optimistic with that clip.
    FTA69 wrote: »
    The difference being that continental European tenants tend to have excellent tenant rights with secure tenure and decent rent structures instead of the total sh*tshow we have in Ireland and the U.K.

I dont know about that, been reading about problems in European markets where accomodation is limited, imagine queing up accomodation that with your zimmerframe, people are in strife looking for accomodation in stockholm, Berlin, by no means a utopia.
    I wish we could be more like some continental countries where renting is a very safe and secure alternaive to buying your own property.

Too many people end up with a millstone around their neck here, paying off a mortgage on a house they don't particularly like, in an area they don't particularly want to live in. They can't take a job in another part of the country because the cost of moving would be too high, they can't move to an area they'd prefer because stamp duty, legal fees etc are prohibitive, they can't take any risks whatsoever with their careers because if they default on their mortgage their credit rating is ruined.

People who can't get on the ladder are made to feel like 'losers' because they're still renting in their forties or fifties.

There has to be a better way.

Wishful thinking

<SNIP>

Completely agree, but although thats a related but different element of the problem, its like a symptom of the failure to be able to provide suitable amounts of property (or a refusal/failure to provide accomodation), so no system can allow people to be kicked out.
    Wasnt it only recently other countries EU ministers were horrified (or said they were) at the scale of the problem of access/availability to/of accomodation?

Carrot and stick, have a scale of taxes to incentivise small landlords to let, ie reduce taxes to make it viable to rent, do something about rogue landlords and tenants. Make it possible to rent an empty but suitable and assessed property, let people use their own furniture/washing machines/fridges, AND for furnished places allow shorter writing off of costs, ie every 4 years and not 8 for white goods.
    Thats not inline with policy, which seems to be want to allow hedge funds own this.

For renting to be a viable option for tenants, it needs to be viable for landlords too, rights and responsibilities for both, Dont see how bansk cant offer a product to have accounts for deposits that can be run by a set of specific rules that could include some fixed costs and have minimal intervention, AND no setting up of a quango, especially one that is influenced by govt policy or is not impartial.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

People won't retire,they will work until they become a burden on the corporations due to failing health and then liquidation

Just don't eat the Soylent Green when it arrives :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

Cheaper to rent what, exactly? A room in a house share with 6 other people? That's accommodation for students with no income. It most certainly isn't cheaper than a mortgage payment, and is significantly more expensive over a life time.

There are apartments being sold in D1 for 160-180k which is 850 over 20yrs that are renting for 1200.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

Potatoeman wrote: »
    There are apartments being sold in D1 for 160-180k which is 850 over 20yrs that are renting for 1200.

Its the same all over Dublin.

Plenty of houses where the monthly rent is 1% or more of the sale price.
    What's the point of a long term rental, when you could just buy the house in 10-15 years?

There is a sense of entitlement in ireland when I think comes to owning property.

Especially when so many people think they're being swindled from their God given right to own a place in a handful of toney Dublin suburbs (you don't get bitching in places like New York or London that an evil coalation of vested interests is preventing two teachers buying a house in Manhattan or St John's Wood).

That said, it is unfair to fully consider this properly when our rental sector is so flaky, unregulated and insecure.

Its not that there is a self of entitlement, its the alternative is unviable and insecure. If there was a viable system to rent for relaistic amounts off private individuals or businesses, then you could say owning might be less realistic, but as people barely have enough to pay rent, how do they also provide for their future via a pension scam?and who is to say that will provide?
    or is it simply better accomodation is more realistically priced, so people can be more mobile that way, rather than relying on the goodwill of some corporate hedge fund.
    conorhal wrote: »
    Into the suicide booth you economically unviable individual!

First we will have to see the demonisation of the poor, even the working poor/those unable to make their way (could be in progress now) reducve the value of life to a comodity for everything and reduce the ability of people to become something better than cogs in a commoditised world.
    Fcuk it, slavery for all, not traditonal slavery mind, you know the nice kind, where you have just about enough to get by, like cattle, they are only slaughtered when its necessary, but they are well kept most of the rest of the time, other than as a resource of food, they dont produce anything meaningful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

Builder builds house for approx €120k and puts it up for sale, asking price €225k (for example).

Bank lends €200k to purchaser, @4% for 35 years

Total amount repaid on which originally cost €120k....

€371,000

= worst deal ever

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Builder builds house for approx €120k and puts it up for sale, asking price €225k (for example).

€371,000

= worst deal ever

Well in the 12 months (or whatever period) that it takes the builder to build that house he earns nothing. So hes pricing himself a salary into that asking price. Then the bank makes money on interest.

To be fair i dont begruge the banks charging some money for a mortgage. They are supplying a service. And ive been using a bank and its services for all of my adult life, and most of my teenage life and have always had a free account. Rarely pay any fees for anything except the occasional mistake of forgetting a bill or something.

€371,000

= worst deal ever

And at the end of that term you won't have to keep paying for it and it will more than likely be worth a lot more than what you've paid for it. Doesn't look like that bad of a deal to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

smash wrote: »
    And at the end of that term you won't have to keep paying for it and it will more than likely be worth a lot more than what you've paid for it. Doesn't look like that bad of a deal to me.

Yup. House prices usually double every 10-15 years.
    So if you buy a 200k house and repay it over 20 years you will end up repaying about 350k but the house will likely be worth over 400k (Assuming year 20 isnt during a price crash).

€371,000

= worst deal ever

So if that is the cost of it, how is renting cheaper? as there are additional middlemen and intermediary services along the whole process that are additional in renting which do not exist in a purchase scenario.

I think it needs to be asked if the hypothetical price to build is X, then why is the cost to buy Y, are the increases realistic or is it inflated due to greed or inefficiencies.

If its due to the plot size, then build up and build in the capacity to house more people comfortable (not shoe boxes where poeple couldnt grow a family and stay) and provide services that do it in a more energy efficient manner (CHP/insulation/mhvp) and have suitable services, schools, shops, transport integrated into a bigger picture, or just allow one off houses or one off estates of a semi-d's that have a lower density and still no services.
    Its not that it cant be done, it just wont be as there is no will or concern to improve the situation or peoples quality of life, for what would not amount to an increased cost, but a reduced more efficient cost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭Sh1tbag OToole

Iiiiiiiiiiiiiit's the hummadum drum
    The dummadum drum

The daily office hummadum-drum
    The daily working dummadum-drum
    The daily morning hummadum-drum

Everybody queue queue queue!
    Queue for the hummadum
    Wait for the hummadum
    Pay for the hummadum
    Work for the hummadum
    Run for the hummadum
    Jump for the hummadum drum

Every price is Up! Up! Up,
    Up for the hummdum drum
    Along with the dummadum drum

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 477 ✭✭stronglikebull

€371,000

= worst deal ever

Worst post ever.

The alternate is you pay rent, lets be generous and say you're getting a €225k house for €1000 a month. Assuming no inflation on that over the next 35 years and you pay €420k in rent, will have nothing to show for it, and will still have to continue paying rent until you expire.

You go ahead and keep doing that. I'm going to pay my mortgage, and we can meet up in 27 years when I own my house, and you'll have nothing. See who got the worst deal then.

Worse again, the person you've been paying rent to will now own the house outright.

I know quite a lot of people that bought an apartment/house for ridiculous amounts of money during the Boom years, who are now either stuck with it or are in negative equity.

I know quite a lot of people that bought an apartment/house for ridiculous amounts of money during the Boom years, who are now either stuck with it or are in negative equity.

But so what? It only matters if you're trying to sell. Everyone knows people in negative equity, but the number of people in negative equity who want to sell is relatively small.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,693 ✭✭✭flutered

I think she is right , too much in the Irish mindset that you need to own your home, it's been drilled into generations of people that they should own a home.

so nowdays it needs to be drilled into them that they should never wish to buy their own home

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭stoplooklisten

flutered wrote: »
    so nowdays it needs to be drilled into them that they should never wish to buy their own home

the rise of Communism

Worst post ever.

The alternate is you pay rent, lets be generous and say you're getting a €225k house for €1000 a month. Assuming no inflation on that over the next 35 years and you pay €420k in rent, will have nothing to show for it, and will still have to continue paying rent until you expire.

You go ahead and keep doing that. I'm going to pay my mortgage, and we can meet up in 27 years when I own my house, and you'll have nothing. See who got the worst deal then.

Worse again, the person you've been paying rent to will now own the house outright.

I already am in the process of paying for my house, 10 years to go.

I'm a bit disappointed that you don't like my post :(

seriously though, on the subject of mortgage interest....

Irish banks are charging over and above the average lending rate of other European banks. As a result, there are about 300,000 mortgage holders in Ireland who are paying between €2,500 and €3,000 per annum more on their variable rate mortgages than other European mortgage holders.

Yet we are out marching on streets about having to pay €300 for water.

Irish banks are charging over and above the average lending rate of other European banks. As a result, there are about 300,000 mortgage holders in Ireland who are paying between €2,500 and €3,000 per annum more on their variable rate mortgages than other European mortgage holders.

They could shop around, it's what people do in other countries. In Ireland however, people seem to have a weird sense of loyalty to their bank who are ripping them off so much.

Was there a load of posts deleted in this thread? Can't find a fairly innocuous one I posted that people have replying to.

Was there a load of posts deleted in this thread? Can't find a fairly innocuous one I posted that people have replying to.
    I've noticed this happening in a few thread recently. Those scallywag mods! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

I've noticed this happening in a few thread recently. Those scallywag mods! :D

Any way to blame the mods and Dooby o brien together. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

kupus wrote: »
    http://www.independent.ie/business/personal-finance/property-mortgages/get-over-the-idea-of-buying-a-home-says-paypal-boss-34809212.html

Hmm, it looks like that thinking is here to stay. Why should somebody own a home. Wouldnt it be better for a hedge fund to own it. you just pay rent for the rest of your natural life. your kid pays for their life and on and on and on.

why should you have the hassle of trying to get a bank loan, trying to save years for a deposit then paying housing tax on top of that. ANd isnt it great that these funds recirculate the money around. Instead of it just going to the bank for a mortgage.

I mean it couldnt possibly be in her interest that "probably" her pension fund finances these hedge funds to buy housing blocks.
    Could it?

So AH what do you think of these people and their fantasy to own their own home

Anyone working for PayPal in Ireland should Get Over it, because you'll never afford one working for PayPal!

They pay sh1t wages and treat their employees like battery hens.

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    Anyone working for PayPal in Ireland should Get Over it, because you'll never afford one working for PayPal!

They pay sh1t wages and treat their employees like battery hens.

Her title would suggest that she's the one treating the employees like battery hens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Does life-long renting work well in other countries? Yes.
    Will it work in Ireland? Not within the next century.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭wally1990

I'll own my property if I want to
    I'm not paying rent for the rest of my life and have bloody nothing to show for it or to leave behind , rent is just dead money to me
    And with the cost of rent at the moment better off have a bloody mortgage least I'll get something in return then
    Feck off :P . Bring rent way down and we can talk then :P until then no it's fine maybe in other countries where rent isn't bonkers but na, I would like to own something I'm paying for(least leave it for a family members anyway to have )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

wally1990 wrote: »
    I'm not paying rent for the rest of my life and have bloody nothing to show for it or to leave behind , rent is just dead money to me
    And with the cost of rent at the moment better off have a bloody mortgage least I'll get something in return then
    Feck off :P . Bring rent way down and we can talk then :P until then no
    And if you lose your job? If you want to take advantage of opportunities in another location or you find yourself in negative equity what then?

Feck off :P . Bring rent way down and we can talk then :P until then no
    And if you lose your job? If you want to take advantage of opportunities in another location or you find yourself in negative equity what then?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,252 ✭✭✭joeysoap

When I saw PP I thought it was Paddy Power &#55357;&#56834;

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    And if you lose your job?
    And if this happens while renting?
    If you want to take advantage of opportunities in another location
    Rent out your property and go.
    or you find yourself in negative equity what then?
    This only matters when you want to sell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭wally1990

Agreed if wanted to travel but I don't
    Lose my job. Def a risk I'd have to take and willing to like most people

Just hating paying dead money ! Feels like that with road tax too ha ah sure . Such is life

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Feck off :P . Bring rent way down and we can talk then :P until then no it's fine maybe in other countries where rent isn't bonkers but na, I would like to own something I'm paying for(least leave it for a family members anyway to have )

The interest that the sharks charge you is also dead money

mortgage : Death-pledge

"In the word mortgage, the mort- is from the Latin word for death and -gage is from the sense of that word meaning a pledge to forfeit something of value if a debt is not repaid."

You rent down town.
    Not as easy as that.
    That should always be an option.

You rent down town.
    Not as easy as that.
    That should always be an option.

The interest that the sharks charge you is also dead money
    Depends on interest rates and payment schedule.

Historically, real house prices have tended to retain value, being one of the most effective shelters against inflation that exist.

And those who choose home ownership tend to accumulate wealth faster than those who rent, even correcting for economic and sociological differences. Link to a Harvard study on this point
    http://www.jchs.harvard.edu/sites/jchs.harvard.edu/files/hbtl-06.pdf

And whilst real returns are better in terms of investment in equities, for example, you can actually LIVE INSIDE your investment. You can't live inside your AIB shares.

Although, you might use them as loo roll.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Is there anything to be said for another government sanctioned attempt for big business to enslave us all forever?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

If you can afford it buy, especially within the current central bank limits. In the long run it's better but I wouldn't call rent dead money. Renting is a service and it protects you from costs like structural repairs and provides flexibility of living, particularly for young professionals. Comparisons to central European regimes are flawed as there needs to be a cultural, legal and mindset shift that would take decades to implement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,597 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

If you can afford it buy, especially within the current central bank limits. In the long run it's better but I wouldn't call rent dead money. Renting is a service and it protects you from costs like structural repairs and provides flexibility of living, particularly for young professionals. Comparisons to central European regimes are flawed as there needs to be a cultural, legal and mindset shift that would take decades to implement.

Renting in Ireland is so insecure. It's grand for people looking for short term accommodation, like students or young professionals, but for families looking to settle down it's a disaster.

In one way, renters are protected against structural repairs, but if your landlord improves your house, there's a good chance he'll get his money back in higher rents later on because the property is now more desirable.

If you own your own house and you make improvements, you are adding value to your investment. Renters are terrified of 'gentrification' or better public services, because if a park or a LUAS opens up across from you, your rent will go up 500 euros a month and you'll be forced to move (again) to some other 'affordable' accommodation in a dodgier part of town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭lawlolawl

I bought my house in the middle of a recession like any sane person should and i have my mortgage 2/3rds payed off after about 6 years.

You can easily afford to own a house if you actually put some thought into the years-long commitment you are going to make.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭leavingirl

What a ****!

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭leavingirl

YOU may never own a home but we'll take your very low corporate tax rate, thank you very much. Psycho!

• Advertisement
Advertisement