Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

sadest scene in a film ever?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Freak

The Green Mile would probably be the saddest one for me, a guy who could help so many letting himself be executed 'caus the world was too harsh to stand.

Saving Private Ryan, simply for the end where he comes back after fifty odd years and still isn't sure he's earned the right.

Michael Collins surprisingly its the end credits I find sad, particularly the quote form De Valera, who was right. (What can I say, I'm Irish)

Armagedon, although I agree I think it's more the score then the movie.

Christ I'm depressed now, what the hell was I thinking reading this thread, thanks a lot people, (sniff sniff) I think I should go to bed now (sob) maybe the world will be nicer in couple of days.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Silverfish wrote:
    The Iron Giant.

The whole film. I sobbed like a four year old. I haven't cried in years.

The Iron Giant is the only film that has ever made me cry, and every time I've subsequently seen it too...
    Sundy wrote:
    Saving Private Ryan. Some people dont like it but it is sad because its reality.

Reality?

Because as we all know, World War 2 was won solely by American Actors. God bless Ted Danson, the brave soul.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭doh.ie

Freak wrote:
    Michael Collins surprisingly its the end credits I find sad, particularly the quote form De Valera, who was right. (What can I say, I'm Irish)

I remember being very moved by the whole 'She moved through the fair...' sequence (nicely sung by Sinead O'C in her pre-head lice campaigning days!) with Kitty getting ready for the wedding, but the quote isn't ringing any bells with me (and I don't have this film in my collection.)

Do you remember what it was? I'm wondering if you're saying Dev was right in his arguments/actions throughout the film (which I don't think he was, personally) or was it one of those "War is baaaaad"/"good men killed" type quotes...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭jared almasy

in general the movie 'what dreams may come' was a really sad film for me, most of the dark bits inside his wifes mind were really sad, its one of the only movies that can actually make me cry :o

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Crash

"A perfect world" - Kevin Costner and the kid in the final scene which we see glimpses of at the start - saw it years ago when i was 12 or 13 and it really got to me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭elivsvonchiaing

crash_000 wrote:
    "A perfect world" - Kevin Costner and the kid in the final scene which we see glimpses of at the start - saw it years ago when i was 12 or 13 and it really got to me.
    Christ starting to feel old now. Let's just say I saw it on my 70th Birthday!

Orwell's 1984 - Richard Burton's final and probably best role. After the tooth extraction in the Ministry of Love - he meet Julia again - they've both betrayed each other - this was powerful stuff - you have no inclination to cry - but you wish you could! Felt just like the book. A masterpiece (considering limitations of cinema)!

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Freak

By Doh
    I remember being very moved by the whole 'She moved through the fair...' sequence (nicely sung by Sinead O'C in her pre-head lice campaigning days!) with Kitty getting ready for the wedding, but the quote isn't ringing any bells with me (and I don't have this film in my collection.)

Do you remember what it was? I'm wondering if you're saying Dev was right in his arguments/actions throughout the film (which I don't think he was, personally) or was it one of those "War is baaaaad"/"good men killed" type quotes...

I seem to remember it was something he said after Collin's funeral along the lines of,

"I believe one day the world will recognize the greatness of Michael Collins and i fear it will be at my expense."
    He was right. (Apologies for any inaccuracy)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Actually, I remember when I saw Michael Collins in the cinema, my grandmother was there with us and at the end she and some of the other older people were very sad & tearful and glancing at each other acknowledging the feeling. It was interesting to see what an impact it had on them (it had an impact on the younger people too but to us, it felt like a very long time ago, I suppose).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭rabid

..that bit in About Schmidt when Nicholson comes home and thinks the wife is still hoovering but is actually dead...I was laughing so hard...and loudly...till he saw her dead on the floor...thought that was pretty sad....

...for some reason that scene in the Iron Giant when Mr. G decides to take out the nuke and save the world......yep...I'm a big blouse....

Life is Beautiful...need I say more......

Scenes in the Shawshank Redemption when Morgan Freeman is freed from prison only to find that he's not free at all, but trapped in a life with no soul....That had me by the throat right up until he's walking along the beach up to Tim Robbins working on the boat.....just wanted to jump up and scream "Yeeahhhhh"!!!

AND FINALLY, cos I gotta hit the hay...
    The final scene in One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest where the Chief suffocates McMurphy and then chucks the sink thru the window and escapes......though the expression on Christopher Lloyds face when he sees that someones escaped saves the day - farkin brilliant.....

:eek: nighty night!!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Freak wrote:
    I seem to remember it was something he said after Collin's funeral along the lines of,

"I believe one day the world will recognize the greatness of Michael Collins and i fear it will be at my expense."
    I may be wrong but AFAIK he said it at the 1966 Easter Rising commemorations or thereabouts rather than back in the twenties. Your quote's either bang-on or close enough.

Now that was off-topic so how about the few seconds in Willy Wonka And the Chocolate Factory where we all reckon Charlie's been left out in the cold with no free chocolate. I'm sure it was sad the first time I saw it, though it was probably less significant when we'd seen it for the tenth Christmas in a row.

Or the end of Roman Holiday.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

the bit in 'a land before time' where the main dinosaurs mother dies.

that tore me apart :(

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭dr strangelove

The final scene in 'Map of the human heart' where Avik is on the snowmobile trying to get to Albertine before she leaves.....

Then there's the amazing scene where Avik, who has bailed out of an allied bomber over a german city, has landed and is now helping pull people out of the rubble and no-one has realised yet that he's the enemy.

Also final scene in Excalibur still brings a lump to my throat, even now.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

i found the final scean of schindlers list very upsetting, where he falls down on his knee's and crys " i could have saved one more, i could have saved one more"

i think thats the only film i've seen in a long time that has upset me greatly

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

The Champ

I almost ran out of tears cus of this film when i was young...............

Also the end bit of blow with johnny depp and his daughter.

Also the end of chopper when they have to close his cell.

Apocalypse Now - When Clean gets killed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭doh.ie

Freak wrote:

Cheers for the reply, Freak.
    Wasn't thinking I'd end up agreeing with Dev's quote, but I do!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 466 ✭✭fizzynicenice

i haden't cried at a film in ages and believe me its not cos i'm macho dumbass, if anything im a sissy who culdn't find the right movie. but the other week the end of 'Snow Falling on Cedars' where
    kabou has just been aquited and Hatsue goes to Ishmael in the snow and says he can hold her now
    oh god i just let loose and kept on crying. oh he just wanted to be loved.
    in fact I'm crying now thinking about it

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭Caked Karen

when the dog dies in "Turner and Hooch". have always wept when i see it.

"I Am Sam" when they are taking lucy away to the foster home after court and her and sam are just hugging and crying and they have to get 3 people to seperate them. so heartbreaking!

"Top Gun" - aaaaa GOOOSSEEEE!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 849 ✭✭✭mentalimplosion

has nobody else said the end of American History X yet? cuz i cried my eyes out at that.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

has nobody else said the end of American History X yet? cuz i cried my eyes out at that.
    Ohhh! Good one. Yeah that was really upsetting :(

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭alancool

A.I. Now i know he's only a Robot... but the scene at the end as Hallie Joel's Osmond's Mam gets tired and falls asleep after he was given a day to spend with her by the "Aliens".

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,947 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

They're not aliens they are advanced forms of robots. Spielberg would be very disappointed with you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Retr0gamer wrote:
    They're not aliens they are advanced forms of robots. Spielberg would be very disappointed with you.
    Yes, but then who really cares what Spielberg thinks (or does) anymore?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭bopper

Moulin Rouge made me cry too, as did cinema paradiso

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Shazbot

As many people have said , Donnie Darko. the final scene really chokes me up.

and for some reason , Braveheart. at the end when hes about to be beheaded and he sees his dead wife walking through the crowd

• Registered Users Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭Simi

12 Monkeys where Cole (Bruce Willis) gets gunned down by the police, at the airport, when running after the bio-terrorist. One of the best movies of all time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭Thrasher

Pigman II wrote:
    Yes, but then who really cares what Spielberg thinks (or does) anymore?

It's the whole point of the film. The robots switch places and create humans for companionship.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,035 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Plenty of sad scenes, some of the ones that come to hand are:

Some Mothers Son - The death of the hunger strikers
    Band of Brothers - quite a few moving moments
    The Champ - The heart wrenching scene with the son
    Titantic - in the freezing water (I am almost surprised I said that)
    Dear Sarah - The death of Guiseppe Conlon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭LoneGunM@n

I have to say I'm a complete sap when it comes to bawling at movies.

The saddest scenes for me would be:

the end of Simon Birch
    the end of Gross Anatomy
    when Joe is told of the professor's death
    the end of Armageddon
    the end of Titanic
    when Steve Martin finds his son on the train in Cheaper by the Dozen [I bawled in the cinema at that ... should of seen the looks I was getting]
    the end of ET

The list is endless!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭nadir

Not a Film, but Full Metal Alchemist has some seriously emotional scenes in it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Elephant Man - his death :(

Advertisement