Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

sadest scene in a film ever?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭galactus

Dumb and dumber - the bit where the lads take a wrong turn.

-I expected the Rocky Mountains to be a little bit more rockier...

-..I was thinking the same thing...that John Denver full of **** man!

Made me cry :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭Spenguin

Donnie Darko was pretty sad at the end. Pay it forward was the saddest movie I've ever seen. The little guy got killed when he tried to save his friend from the bullies...:(

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

thanks for ruining the end or those who didn't see it yet Spenguin. I'm sure they'll love you for that.

Do you fancy putting poiler tags on that bit to hide it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,145 ✭✭✭dazberry

Silent Running - when the little Robot is left at the end watering all the flowers and they play that real hippy music.

Obi-Wan letting Vader kill him in SW, and Vader converting to the "light" side in ROTJ.

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Carnate

Originally posted by Spenguin
    Donnie Darko was pretty sad at the end. Pay it forward was the saddest movie I've ever seen. The little guy got killed when he tried to save his friend from the bullies...:(

Aww thx for that was about to get it tonite to watch!!

Thx Dude.. NOT!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,730 ✭✭✭Naos

Aye, I can get REALLY into films, fill other persons shows so to speak..

Green Mile - Generally
    Lion King - Amazing film, just sad but has great hope.
    I Am Sam - Not mentioned yet (Sean Penn) but very sad, worth getting trust me.

Hmm cant really think of anything else, oh when I seen Cool Runnings and everyone started slow clapping at the end and .. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭lodgepole

The scene where Selma sings from the Sound of Music in her prison cell in Dancer in the Dark. Also when she screams because she can't breath. And when she goes crazy after hearing about the money being used to hire a lawyer.

Ellen Burstyn's knockout scene in Requiem for a Dream.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

The end of star trek generations

Captian kirk dies and the Enterprise-D is destroyed (its more the enterprise being destroyed that gets me every time)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Err..

Ordinary People - the discussion between Donald Sutherland & Mary Tyler Moore when she finds him crying in the dining room

• Registered Users Posts: 3,958 ✭✭✭Chad ghostal

end of hana-bi
    end of grave of fireflies
    sympathy for a vengeance.. pretty much the whole movie but the river scene in perticular

thats all i can think of off the top of my head. ..

and obviously one flew over the cookoos nest..

note:
    DONT FORGET SPOILER TAGS!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭mang87

Shyte I've not cried at a film since I was about 10...
    But a real tear jerker was that film beaches, when you find out her mother has cancer and she has go and live with BETTE FUGGIN MIDLER... man, what a sad end, I'd rather die! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

In A Beautiful Life (Italian film) when the dad gets shot and then the little boy gets reunited with his mum. Oh and of course Black Beauty!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,239 ✭✭✭Elessar

I remember trying to hide the tears watching certian films when i was a kid, like E.T., the Lion King, and a few others.

More recently though I thought Gandalf's "death" and sacrifice in The Fellowship Of The Ring was pretty sad. Cudos to Peter Jackson for making it so sad relatively early in the film.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭elivsvonchiaing

When I first saw it: Schindler's list. The collection of the gold - climaxing in the issuing of the ring that was made. Schindler broke into tears.

You started with hating the guy. And the movie bought you his redemption.
    This really moved me at the time - alas Emelie - before her death soured this- probably because it was needed. And he was just a greedy businesman with a humanitarian streak and a sh1te husband - not the saint he was portrayed in the movie.

Think he did more good than most and deserves the recognition. Emelie - I just don't know?

I just feel that this has to be one of the top five best
    examples- I really feel real-world event movies will only qualify here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭mang87

Elessar wrote:

More recently though I thought Gandalf's "death" and sacrifice in The Fellowship Of The Ring was pretty sad. Cudos to Peter Jackson for making it so sad relatively early in the film.
    That was bloody amazing. VERY well done. Gave me a lump in my throat.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭mad m

Kramer Vs Kramer.....sniff well not really but its all i could come with at this late hour...hey but come to think remember Gregory Peck in the THE YEARLING ,ah the poor young deer!!

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭michaelpwilson

Thought the scene where the wedding ring rolls on the floor in "The Sixth Sense" and Willis "finds out" was quite sad...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Etain

Frodo saying good-bye when he and Bilbo are leaving with the Elves. I know I wasn't the only one in the audience crying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

starring Jon Voight as the boxer. the end when he dies on the table after the fight, in front of his son (the blonde guy from silver spoons who is now in nypd blue)

we watched this when we were kids and my neighbour paul took the piss out of me when he heard i was crying at the end of a film. then we made HIM watch it and he left our sitting room sniffling saying he had to go home for dinner!!

we haven't let him live it down since!!! te hee...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,307 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

E.T. the first time I saw it I was like 10 and I cried when he went home. Schindlers List the whole movie is full of terribly sad scenes...one of the best was at the end with the car
    "I could have saved one more life"
    God that's sooo sad. Shawshank Redemption when the old librian...well anyone who has watched it knows ( if you haven't then watch it!! ) and when Andy ( dont read unless you have already watched it )
    gets out "crawling through 500 feet of sh1t"...brilliant!!
    . Also Gladiator when
    Maximus dies and you see his home and family and the african slave buries the statuettes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

I cant believe no1 has pointed out that Mear revived a thread from 2003??? Noone ntoice that 4 pages of this ocnversation just popped out of nowhere in 1second?

Anyway, Saddest has to be the after the final battle of 'The Last Samurai', when he's talking to the emperor, and the death of Katsumoto, excellent stuff. The Execution in Braveheart was also excellently done. The Green Mile, the last execution also definately up there with one of the saddest scene's in a film.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Field of Dreams
    When Doc walks off the field to save the little girl and everyone realises that he has forsaken his dream and then the bit where Kevin Costner plays catch with his Dad

Gets me every time !

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

the entire second half of Requiem for a Dream left me in bits for the rest of the day

• Registered Users Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Johnny_the_fox

Ill sound like a big girl here.. 2 films come to mind..

In Michael Collins - when he gets shot ("I dont know anything anymore" is the background music)

Also

In Veronica Guerin - when she gets shot..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭mwnger

I also cried at E.T. when I saw it for the first time about 7 years ago and I've refused to watch it since because I think it's a very manipulative film. Speilberg was trying his damnest to get the audience to cry, which I think is very cynical.

A recent one was In America, when the eldest daughter says "Say goodbye to Frankie, Dad", that just floored me.

I remember the end of Return of the King (when they're sailing into the west), a lot of the audience were in tears in the cinema - i thought that that was the worst scene in the trilogy. The one scene that did get me however, was in the Two Towers when Smeagol gets beaten up by the Gondorians and Gollum takes over again. I was in bits cos you knew he was doomed from then on. And he came so close to redemption too. Actually Gollum throughout the entire trilogy was very tragic - didn't you just want to give him a hug and say everything was gonna be alright? ...err maybr not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭Wacker

Here are two that haven't been mentioned (Warning: I have not put on Spoiler protection) :

Star Trek 2: The Wrath of Khan. When Spock dies in the radioactive chamber. The "live long and prosper" line choked me up.

The Outsiders. First Johnny then Dallas?!? Is there no justice in the world?!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭Wacker

Seeing as someone else mentioed it the last episode of Blackadder was the saddest thing ever. And on the subject of non-films, anyone ever go to Les Miserables? Not a dry eye in the place, I swear.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭NeoSlicerZ

Armageddon is the only movie that made me cry..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭nadir

So many
    'Dolls' the whole lot of it was damn depressing, and 'Hanabi' to a lesser extent.
    The rutger howard bit at the end of 'blade runner'
    The end of 'Platoon' with sheens voiceover.
    Valarias Funeral in 'Conan the Barbarian'
    End of 'Leon'
    End of 'Hero'
    Last of the Mohicans
    and the list goes on and on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭Kain

Um.... Micheal Collins when he got shot.

Can't really think of anything else right now.

Advertisement