Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House Alarms - HELP!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭tdavfc

Hi,

I recently bought a second hand house and it had an alarm already installed. Think the make of it is Verifier.. We are currently getting some renovations done including new windows and the wall knocked where the alarm panel is, so they will be disconnecting the current sensors. Is there a a way of completely disabling the alarm until all the house work is done... Any help would be grateful..

TD

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭Jnealon

You can disconnect the mains supply and disconnect the battery. When you do this the external bell will go off for around 20 mins but your alarm will be disabled and you will be free to carry out your work.
    The verifier was a good panel made by Europlex and was my panel of choice for a long time

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭tdavfc

Jnealon wrote: »
    You can disconnect the mains supply and disconnect the battery. When you do this the external bell will go off for around 20 mins but your alarm will be disabled and you will be free to carry out your work.
    The verifier was a good panel made by Europlex and was my panel of choice for a long time

Thanks a million Jnealon... Just have to find the power supply now. Looked beside the Fuse box but didnt see anything there. There is a big box up in the attic I will check around there... Thanks again..

TD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 murphn1

Hi,
    I have a battery fault showing up on my panel, It a HKC ltd secure watch alarm, I opened the box on the wall to check out the battery, it reads 12v ok on the meter, I removed power to the alarm with the battery disconnected and as was said in an earlier post the external alarm went off, so i'm guessing that there is also a battery for the external alarm somewhere. When I restore the power to the system I see a message checksum 6325h when it is powering up and then back to battery fault on the display.
    Is there anyway to know which battery is at fault or could it be just a problem on the circuit board, not charging or something.

Any pointers in the right direction would be greatly appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭bigeasy

murphn1 wrote: »
    Hi,
    I have a battery fault showing up on my panel, It a HKC ltd secure watch alarm, I opened the box on the wall to check out the battery, it reads 12v ok on the meter, I removed power to the alarm with the battery disconnected and as was said in an earlier post the external alarm went off, so i'm guessing that there is also a battery for the external alarm somewhere. When I restore the power to the system I see a message checksum 6325h when it is powering up and then back to battery fault on the display.
    Is there anyway to know which battery is at fault or could it be just a problem on the circuit board, not charging or something.

Any pointers in the right direction would be greatly appreciated

I also have the same problem with my hkc alarm..Lads any ideas

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭Redshift

bigeasy wrote: »
    I also have the same problem with my hkc alarm..Lads any ideas

It's either the battery or the battery fuse, it's more likely to be the battery is knackered. These last about five years but I've seen them fail in less than a year due to a duff cell.
    Just testing the voltage is no good, a failed battery will probably still show 12volts but will not be able to push any amps. You need a battery tester or to use a dummy load with a multimeter to check the battery condition.
    If the battery feels quite warm to the touch or the sides or ends show any sign of bulging then the battery has most certainly reached the end of it's life.
    Another thing to try is disconnect the battery and give it a shake and if you hear a rattleing sound from loose debris inside then chuck it.
    These symptoms may or may not be present in a failed battery and to be sure it needs to be tested, but if the fuses in the alarm panel are intact and the battery will not run the system with the mains off then it's safe to say the battery is probably gone.

You can get these batteries in Maplin or from any security equipment or electrical supplier, you need to get a 12 volt 7ah battery
    Don't just go by the size as there is a 6 volt battery that is the exact same size.

Thanks Redshift, I'll take a loan of a neighbours battery who has the same alarm to test it, Just as a matter of interest is there also a battery somewhere for the external alarm because when I disconnected the power to the alarm from the fuse box and disconnected the battery, the external alarm went off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭Redshift

murphn1 wrote: »
    Thanks Redshift, I'll take a loan of a neighbours battery who has the same alarm to test it, Just as a matter of interest is there also a battery somewhere for the external alarm because when I disconnected the power to the alarm from the fuse box and disconnected the battery, the external alarm went off.

There will be a battery inside the external bell, this is why they are known as a self activating bell.
    Once the bell loses it's power supply from the panel either through power down of the panel or the cable being cut it will start ringing.
    Short of getting up to it and disconnecting the internal battery there is nothing you can do about it.
    It will stop again when you repower and unset the panel or after 20 mins usually.

Thanks Redshift, I changed the battery in the main unit and it's fine now.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 harman

I have an Aritech house alarm and today replaced a sensor on the back door, using the proper engineers code but when I tried to reset the alarm afterwards it wouldn't work as it showed "open zones 02 downstairs". We have no working alarm at present. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭jabaroon

harman wrote: »
    I have an Aritech house alarm and today replaced a sensor on the back door, using the proper engineers code but when I tried to reset the alarm afterwards it wouldn't work as it showed "open zones 02 downstairs". We have no working alarm at present. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

What type of sensor was it? Reed & Shock or just Reed?...
    You have more than likely not re-connected the wires correctly or you are using a different brand of sensor and the wiring is different.

Do you have a multimeter?

Jab

jabaroon wrote: »
    What type of sensor was it? Reed & Shock or just Reed?...
    You have more than likely not re-connected the wires correctly or you are using a different brand of sensor and the wiring is different.

Do you have a multimeter?

Jab

Thank you for your speedy reply. Unfortunately I was unable to access the computer until now due to some serious exams/studying going on here at present!

The type of sensor used is HKC Sensor C/W Reed and it appears identical to the old one. I copied the wiring exactly too.

I'm wondering if the fact that I installed the new sensor in "engineer mode"(not "maintenance") is the problem?

To make matters worse last evening the alarm went off twice showing "06 tamper" even though it was not even activated at the time!
    I left the alarm in "maintenance" mode when going to bed as we did'nt want to be awoken during the night.

Any help is much appreciated.

Thank you for your speedy reply. Unfortunately I was unable to access the computer until now due to some serious exams/studying going on here at present!

The type of sensor used is HKC Sensor C/W Reed and it appears identical to the old one. I copied the wiring exactly too.

I'm wondering if the fact that I installed the new sensor in "engineer mode"(not "maintenance") is the problem?

To make matters worse last evening the alarm went off twice showing "06 tamper" even though it was not even activated at the time!
    I left the alarm in "maintenance" mode when going to bed as we did'nt want to be awoken during the night.

Any help is much appreciated.

I do not have a multimeter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭Jnealon

Make sure that the arrow on the shock is pointing up

Jnealon wrote: »
    Make sure that the arrow on the shock is pointing up

Many thanks. I will check this.

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭jabaroon

that wouldn't account for the tamper tho....I presume 06 is the zone that you replaced the sensor on?

jabaroon wrote: »
    that wouldn't account for the tamper tho....I presume 06 is the zone that you replaced the sensor on?

No 06 is not the zone on which I replaced the sensor it is 02.

Checked that the arrow is facing upwards but the problem still remains.

I have decided to call in the expert.

Thanks again for your help.

Many thanks. I will check this.

Checked that the arrow was pointing upwards but the problems still remain.

Decided to call in the experts.

Many thanks for your help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 knobby

Had to disconnect a window vibration sensor to move the cable. now i see a faut on my display

1. Int bell fuse - i am guessing a fuse has blown, should i just replace it
    2. a zone is not showing as active - could this be related to the fuse???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 449 ✭✭spanner_head

Hi all,

I've an Airtech CP32.

A few days ago the electricity went in our area and seemed have 'reset' the alarm. The entry & exit times are 20 seconds and 30 seconds respectively.

I'd like to prolong this to about 45 seconds for both entry and exit. Is there any way this can be done without having an engineer come out to the house to increase the time? I've searched long & hard online but can't find the answer.

Thanks in advance for your help

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 paige curran

ok, i dont know if this is the write place to ask this but anyway, i moved into a new house ((rented)) there was already and aritech alarm system in place i didnt touch it as i dont no the code.... this mornin someone went messing with the alarm and now its going off i dont no the code to turn it off is there anyway i can disarm it as i cant get through to my landlord on a sunday im seriously going mad! HELPPPPPPP!!!!!!!!!! lol

• Registered Users Posts: 11,654 ✭✭✭✭altor

ok, i dont know if this is the write place to ask this but anyway, i moved into a new house ((rented)) there was already and aritech alarm system in place i didnt touch it as i dont no the code.... this mornin someone went messing with the alarm and now its going off i dont no the code to turn it off is there anyway i can disarm it as i cant get through to my landlord on a sunday im seriously going mad! HELPPPPPPP!!!!!!!!!! lol

Without the code you will need the system defaulted. What aritech system do you have installed ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 suesue78

i replaced a battery in aritech alarm but display still shows low battery and it still chirping any help would be appreciated in a fool proof step by step manner

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Turn off the main first.
    Disconnect the battery. (Do this again with the new one)
    Connect the battery observing the red & black terminals connect to the red & black wires.
    Before turning on the mains check that the system powers up.
    If it doesn't check the battery fuse.(f1)
    If thats ok then the battery may be dodgy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 suesue78

thank you i wont be able to try this out till tomorrow couldd;nt see fig 1 reffered to in your reply how do i access this fig 1

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Sorry sue it refers to fuse 1 .
    If your looking at the panel its the second fuse from the left.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Full Bore

Hi all, bought a house a few years back with alarm already installed. The shed has a pir and i want to remove it from system. Dont have alarm codes or manual and installer is no longer in business! has any one got an installation manual so I can remove this pir

I'll send you the manual & see how you get on.
    In future you can use this thread
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055973617

Try defaulting the panel by removing all power mains & battery.
    Remove the factory link marked LK1 in the middle of the main board.
    Re apply the power. If the system has defaulted it will show arrow up to select language.
    Disarm using the default code 01122
    The Engineer code will be 01278
    If that does not work it will require an engineer to reset the system for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 DRUMMER56

HI I HAVE JUST REPLACED 5 WINDOWS AND ADOOR I REMOVED SENSORS AND REFITTED THEM WHEN I SET THE ALARM IT SAYS 2 ZONES OPEN WHAT CAN I DO TO RESET THEM

• Advertisement

They are either not wired correctly or the magnets are not aligned correctly. Also check the orientation of the sensor head is correct.

Advertisement