Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband availblility. what and where.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭Ba_barbaraAnne

For anyone who lives west of Westport, Co. Mayo, The Croagh Patrick Community Network Society has been awarded the government grant aid under the County and Group Broadband Scheme (Phase II). The building of the network is about to commence, so if you live anywhere between Belclare and Old Head, you'll be able to get wireless broadband by the end of the summer. See your local press for details, or pm me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 snempaa

goo wrote:
    (Possibly a stupid question)

What's a contention rate?

If the contention rate is 1/8, it means that the ISP has the bandwidth available for 1 of the every 8 users. So if they offer a 512kbps speed and have a contention rate of 1/8 and the have 24 users signed up, that means that the total bandwidth available for those custombers is (512*24)/8=1536kbps (they can do that because not every user is using all the bandwidth all the time). I hope it's clear now what it is, if not...sorry for my bad English!

By the way, the broadband connections are really awfully expensive over there! I pay 25euro inc. VAT for 5120/1024kbits over here in Holland!

update: Oops, I didn't see that there were like 10 pages of posts already, so this question was probably already answered!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭aare

Can somebody add http://www.torque.ie with a variety of broadband packages covering Blessington, Baltinglass, Hollywood and VERY soon Dunlavin, as well as a LOT of unlikely places in between?

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭cerbeus

I think the Dunleer exchange has been recently upgraded as three lines I have been querying on the Eircom website's line test facility are now showing as Passes when last week they had shown as Fail.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

I was told that Dunleer would be enabled by the end of June this year, both by a senior person in eircom and a local engineer. Sure enough I tested a few numbers I know around Dunleer about 2 weeks ago and most of them pass. It also mentions Dunleer now on eircom.ie's list of enabled exchanges.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

Not wanting to start a new thread, nor trawl through this 10 pager, can somebody advise a BB provider for the Dundrum (south dublin) area. no need to go into the intricities or anything, unless you want to. i'm a total n00b at this, and really appreciate the help.

thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭WillieFlynn

snempaa wrote:
    By the way, the broadband connections are really awfully expensive over there! I pay 25euro inc. VAT for 5120/1024kbits over here in Holland!
    In France depending on where you are you get an 8Mb connection for 15 euro or a 20 Mb one for 20 euro. You would be lucky to get two cans with a string between them, for that price here.

Willie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 talltim1

Does anyone supply broadband to the Killorglin area in Co.Kerry.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭dealgan

What about Letterkenny ?

It's supposed to be live, but my line still fails. Mabye I'm just on the limit of the distance form the exchange. What is that limit.. is it 5km ?

I thought i read somewhere that adsl2+ has a longer reach .. is this true, or am I stuck forever in the land of dialup ?

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

The Letterkenny exchange is enable for Eircom et al.

For Smart the current story is "This exchange is on our current Network Build Programme for this year.
    "

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭rash

talltim1 wrote:
    Does anyone supply broadband to the Killorglin area in Co.Kerry.

Believe that Eircom enabled their exchange about 6mths ago

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

this needs to be updated if its to be any use as a sticky.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

For the love of God before Pigheads poor head explodes could somebody from the phibsboro area please tell me who they are getting broadband from.As head of my house i've been in charge of getting the broadband in.Six months i've been trying,NTL-Not available in my area,
    Eircom-Not available,
    Smart-I signed up in March but they've got No idea when our area is going live
    Bt-No joy
    Ibb-Haven't checked but reading some of the horror stories on here dont plan to either
    Now at this stage i'm starting to lose my air of invincibility in the house and i've got a feeling the lads and lassies will revolt if Pighead doesnt deliver soon.
    Any ideas? :confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Leap or Clearwire

Sponge Bob wrote:
    Leap or Clearwire
    Rang clearwire-Not available in Phibsboro
    Rang Leap-Some mumbling uninterested lad mumbled something about them being mostly for businesses and i'd be better off going to Eircom as they charge 129 a month
    What on earth is going on!I live 5 minutes away from the centre of this countrys capital city and nobody can give me broadband,jesus even my bog loving cousing from hackballscross is enjoying the delights of
    www.sheepusa.org with his broadband.
    I feel a rage coming on. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭DrIndy

Piggy, use IBB - they always offered me nothing short of an outstanding service and the benefit is that they cover ALL phibsboro, if you cannot get reception off their mighty glasnevin mast, then they can get you with their Guinness mast.

I've used IBB for years and they are great.

I also live in Phibsboro.... ;)

Cheers DrIndy,was sort of shying away from IBB after reading about some of the horror stories on here but i'm gonna trust you,you're a doctor!
    What do all those computer geeks know about broadband anyway..............

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭thebackbar

Hi

Does anyone on the board know when the exchange in Barna, Galway is due to be upgraded, I know its available in some parts of Barna (Boleybeg, Cappagh) But I was wondering when the other side of the village will be upgraded (around Supervalue etc)

Cheers
    thebackbar

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Hey guys,
    I'm not sure what he story is with the list on page 1, it seems it was edited last in 2003, and I was away on holidays and when I came back I was asked "Did you hear about such and such broadband??"
    So I assume there are some new better offers out there...

My IOL Broadband contract (€30 a month one, I think) is over in a few days, I was wondering what would be a better option?

With it I was getting a general max download of ~110kb/s, and I'm not too chuffed about the upload (the IOL did me fine)
    So a cheaper price a month (or a higher up/down for the same price), NO cap (or a higher one) and a lower contention ratio would be great, if you have any suggestions.

I'm in Celbridge in Kildare, a friend of mine here has the UTVIP one (so he claims) and I was leaning towards that.

Thanks in advance. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 redredzer

Hey i was just wondering if anyone could tell me when BB is available in the glencullen area??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 CatInTheHat

1) Has anyone here used Last Mile? They're in Midlands & West; they use RF line-of-sight.

They're listed on the gov't list, but the pricing info isn't current. (They have a special on for installation for €82 but according to gov't price list installation is >€320. The current monthly rates are also all lower than what's quoted on the gov't site.)

Anyone here have any comments on good/bad experiences with this company?

2) or comments on this kind of technology in general in rural areas?

3) They say storms aren't a problem--is this true?

4) Also--supposedly there's a Search function on this board but I don't see one anywhere. Am I missing something?

Thanx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Spfeno1

First time on Boards so please excuse. Can anyone let me know what the best BB package is for the Ratoath area. I'm told UTV/Clicksilver is a good deal - please advise !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Spfeno1

Can anyone advise what the best BB package is for the Ratoath area of Co. Meath is. I'm told UTV/Clicksilver is the way to go - HELP please !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Ernie Ball

I'm getting sick of the meagre upstream bandwidth with BT.

Which providers offer more than 128kbps upstream?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

Ernie Ball wrote:
    I'm getting sick of the meagre upstream bandwidth with BT.

Which providers offer more than 128kbps upstream?

well smart do, but depends on availability

Digiweb have metro 3mb/512 but is 40:1 so that can be a bugger at times, or their metro plus 4mb/1mb 20:1 which im considering.

i hear ya with the crap upload, its not even 128, its more like 103, i took me 2hrs 10 mins to upload a 94mb file with it.

theres more isps, im sure will be posted later

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭rok

Some ISP links , sorry didnt get time to take down rates for each provider.

http://www.digiweb.ie
    Eircom - http://home.eircom.net/broadband/
    Esat BT - https://www.esat.net/echannel/res.portal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=res_products&_nfls
    irishbroadband - www.irishbroadband.ie
    Last Mile - www.lastmile.ie
    Smart www.smarttelecom.ie/products/broadband
    UTV Clicksilver http://u.tv/utvclicksilver/

please feel free to delete if of no use

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭romperstomper

what BB is available in the coolock exchange can anyone tell me?

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭grasscutter

Hi

I am currently living in Bruff , Co Limerick and would like to get a broadband connection. The nearest I have heard of so far is digiweb which has got as far as Killmallock but does not offer a service within Bruff at the moment.

Does anybody out there have any info on broadband options are available at the moment or what might be available in the future?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 191 ✭✭malachy47

I checked out last mile recently. I asked why the upload speeds were so slow, and was told in a fine Buffalo accent (I mention that because phone manner is important), "sur why would you need 512K up?"

At that point I informed this fine world-traveled brain surgeon that my money was going elsewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 le_baz

Anybody get broadband in Wicklow? Rathnew to be precise.
    Outside the DSL limit.

Satellite?

I just need to narrow down my options.

Dialup is driving me crazy!!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement