Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband availblility. what and where.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭OHP

Not sure if this is the right place to put this I just found it today. So maybe a kind Mod might shift it to the right place for me :)

http://www.leinstertelecommunications.ie/broadband

I have not heard of Leinster Communications before but apparently they are saying anyone in Ireland can get BB now?

OHP

• Registered Users Posts: 6 dfdunne

my line failed but next door didn't. any suggestion on the next steps.
    TIA.

/David

• Closed Accounts Posts: 645 ✭✭✭TomF

I heard the 12 o'clock news on RTE Radio and there was something about ESB getting loans from U.S. banks for upgrading its system, and at the end a teaser about developments in ESB's broadband offering. Anyone have any idea what is going-on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭Qadhafi

Esat BT and ESB to cut broadband price outside Dublin area
    Wednesday, 17th December, 2003

Consumers and businesses outside Dublin should see a dramatic reduction in broadband prices in the next few months following a huge cut in wholesale telecoms tariffs by the ESB and Esat BT.

The telecoms initiative should remove the price differential that currently exists between Dublin and the rest of the State, and was warmly welcomed by industry and the Government yesterday.

ESB and Esat BT say they will supply wholesale broadband products to more than 40 towns in the regions at prices up to eight times cheaper than are currently available from suppliers.

The Minister for Communications, Mr Ahern, said he expected the initiative would attract new internet firms to the Republic.

It should also enable the Government to meet a goal of moving Ireland within the top 10 per cent of OECD States in terms of broadband take-up rates, he added.

The ESB and Esat BT broadband initiative is likely to pose a significant threat to Eircom's revenues, a portion of which is generated from providing broadband to regional towns.

An Eircom spokeswoman said the new plan was duplication.

"Eircom already has fibre running into all of these 40 towns and as Comreg's recent quarterly report showed, we have the fourth cheapest national leased line price out of 15 OECD States."

ESB will use its new €60 million nationwide broadband network that it has wrapped around its electricity wires to supply the cheap broadband products.

Esat BT will use its own regional fibre optic network that runs along the State's railway lines for its new cut price broadband products.

The new cheaper products will probably result in more pressure on its own wholesale revenues in the short term.

Because telecoms firms will be able to buy connectivity cheaper they should also be able to sell consumer broadband products such as DSL at cheaper rates.

The broadband initiative is the third announcement made by telecoms firms and the Government in just a week, suggesting a more buoyant future for the sector following years of stagnation.

IDA Ireland welcomed the initiative as a key measure to address the issue of businesses in towns throughout the State being in a disadvantage relative to Dublin.

Mr Sean Dorgan, IDA chief executive, said the new pricing would enable the IDA to push the argument for regional locations with prospective investors.

Up until now the huge cost of telecoms and internet connectivity in regional locations has been seen as factor that has caused firms not to invest in these areas.

Some of the major towns and cities that will be served by the new cut-price connectivity products are Cork, Limerick, Galway, Sligo, Ballina, Dundalk, Waterford and Wexford. Many others will be served by the product too.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭MoSeS_.

Just a point on the post at the top of this thread outlining the different broadband options and their relevant costs.

Some people do not necessarily want a phone line for phone calls, what with everyone having a mobile these days.

As far as I am aware offers like the "Eircom Starter" also require line rental which is €22.50 per month which,
    instead of:

Total cost
    Per month = €54.45 (vat included)
    Install = €199.65 (vat included)

Would leave:
    Per month = €76.95 (vat included)

Whereas an "unbundled" offer like EsatBTs 512/256 offer, which I use, do not require additional line rental.

so the cost comparison is now

€76.95 p.m. Vs €108.90 p.m.
    as opposed to
    €54.45 p.m. vs €108.90 p.m.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭Linoge

does anybody know if NTL is available in Blanchardstown? Dublin 15?and this is probably a stupid question but meh:
    What is cable? Do you use your telephone wire with cable?
    NTL Broadband is available in
    d6 d6w d16 d12 d24 and parts of Lucan at the moment.

Cable is exactly what it says, it uses your existing NTL cable for the broadband, no telephone needed, but you still need a cable modem.
    ESB will use its new €60 million nationwide broadband network that it has wrapped around its electricity wires to supply the cheap broadband products.

BTW- When I heard about the ESB supplying broadband 3 or 4 years ago I was under the impression that they were going to use the actual electricity cables. If that sounds far fetched, how far fetched does wrapping optical or copper cables around hot electricity lines sound?!!!
    Does anyone know more about this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Gatster

The ability to send data along the power network is called Powerline Communications (PLC), and works on the current electricity infrastructure by sending the electricity at one frequency and data at another. You have a modem which plugs directly into the power socket and has an RJ45 connection for you PC which communicates with a box at the sub-station - this means that (in theory), you could have a broadband connection in any room with a power socket

This is available in some areas of the UK, and is being trialled all over the place - there are problems, such as lampposts becoming transmitters (don't know much about this aspect of it) and distorting other signals in the neighbourhood, but it may well be the way forward as speeds can be comparable to regular broadband

This was the last I heard:

http://www.enn.ie/frontpage/news-9372044.html

As this country still has relatively limited & expensive broadband, I'd be surprised if this took off anytime soon.

:ninja:

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭none

That's absolutely right about unwillingness to pay for a phone line when all you need is the Internet. But I didn't really get how you say you can have broadband from EsatBT without paying the line rental? They all say that you still need to pay Eircom for it. No?
    Originally posted by MoSeS_.
    Just a point on the post at the top of this thread outlining the different broadband options and their relevant costs.

Some people do not necessarily want a phone line for phone calls, what with everyone having a mobile these days.

As far as I am aware offers like the "Eircom Starter" also require line rental which is €22.50 per month which,
    instead of:

Total cost
    Per month = €54.45 (vat included)

Would leave:
    Per month = €76.95 (vat included)

Whereas an "unbundled" offer like EsatBTs 512/256 offer, which I use, do not require additional line rental.

so the cost comparison is now

€76.95 p.m. Vs €108.90 p.m.
    as opposed to
    €54.45 p.m. vs €108.90 p.m.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭Nedrac

Is wirless BB available throught the country? I live in Abbeyleix Co. Laois + BB is not going to be available for 12 months so i was thinking of getting wirless is that possible to get ,out in the sticks where i live

Ned

• Registered Users Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭Linoge

Originally posted by Gatster
    The ability to send data along the power network is called Powerline Communications (PLC), and works on the current electricity infrastructure by sending the electricity at one frequency and data at another. You have a modem which plugs directly into the power socket and has an RJ45 connection for you PC which communicates with a box at the sub-station - this means that (in theory), you could have a broadband connection in any room with a power socket

This is available in some areas of the UK, and is being trialled all over the place - there are problems, such as lampposts becoming transmitters (don't know much about this aspect of it) and distorting other signals in the neighbourhood, but it may well be the way forward as speeds can be comparable to regular broadband

This was the last I heard:

http://www.enn.ie/frontpage/news-9372044.html

As this country still has relatively limited & expensive broadband, I'd be surprised if this took off anytime soon.

:ninja:

Thanks for that.
    :D lol:D

Can I just say that Ireland is about 4 years behind the rest of europe when it comes to broadband. This is purely eircoms fault. I know Ireland is a small country and thats more of a reason we should all have access. As for our small population???? Dublin City has a population in the region of 1 million. Why didn't they have BB 5 years ago????
    Can I just give a big THANK YOU to €ircom for single handedly holding back growth in this country. What American company would move here to have a fupping 128k ISDN line to communicate with their head office. FUP Eircom.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Does anyone know when or if BB will be available in Tramore, Co Waterford. It has a population of 9000 so surely they'll have to enable it soon :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Spooge

In case anyone's still interested in Netsource RADSL:

At home, I've got netsource 512/128. Download speeds are 55k/s constantly.

C:\>ping www.boards.ie

Pinging www.boards.ie [82.195.131.128] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 82.195.131.128: bytes=32 time=30ms TTL=60
    Reply from 82.195.131.128: bytes=32 time=51ms TTL=60
    Reply from 82.195.131.128: bytes=32 time=30ms TTL=60
    Reply from 82.195.131.128: bytes=32 time=20ms TTL=60

Ping statistics for 82.195.131.128:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 20ms, Maximum = 51ms, Average = 32ms

C:\>

C:\>ping www.jolt.co.uk

Pinging clarity.jolt.co.uk [195.149.21.11] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 195.149.21.11: bytes=32 time=40ms TTL=56
    Reply from 195.149.21.11: bytes=32 time=30ms TTL=56

Ping statistics for 195.149.21.11:
    Minimum = 30ms, Maximum = 40ms, Average = 37ms

C:\>

Not had any connection probs (apart from for a few weeks last year when everyone in the world signed up for a while).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭Adrian

anyone know when the midlands will get broadband? Like all of Laois and Offaly?

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Overlord

Originally posted by Linoge
    Thanks for that. :D lol:D

Can I just say that Ireland is about 4 years behind the rest of europe when it comes to broadband. This is purely eircoms fault. I know Ireland is a small country and thats more of a reason we should all have access. As for our small population???? Dublin City has a population in the region of 1 million. Why didn't they have BB 5 years ago????
    Can I just give a big THANK YOU to €ircom for single handedly holding back growth in this country. What American company would move here to have a fupping 128k ISDN line to communicate with their head office. FUP Eircom.

Eircom did hold back dsl. Because it was in their best interest they deemed. Cheaper broadband would have hurt them financially as they charged huge fees for the same service via leased isdn lines to large companies. In a situation like that you need strong, wise government to step in and sort it out for the people. It took the government 5 years to sort it. Governments fault IMHO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭DaithiSurfer

Can someone update the sticky on the first page with the prices as they stand after the price movements last week?

• Registered Users Posts: 43 peema

Out of boredom (or something) I decided to play my semi-annual game of "Poke Eircom for ADSL" yesterday.

Ring up, get to the right queue, get operator, ask about availability or future availability of broadband in Portarlington.

"The exchange hasn't been upgraded yet"

"Any idea when?"

"April, if you haven't heard back from us by May you might try ringing back then."

Or words to that effect.

Hmmm.
    Peema

• Registered Users Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭JBoyle4eva

I found out that the Roscommon town exchange got broadband, and beofre the Area code change, I was in the Rosscommon area code (Then 0903). I live abiut 10-15 miles from Rosscommon in a village called Newbridge, so has anyone any clue on:

1) Is broadband avaliable for me?
    or
    2) When will broadband be avaliable to me?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭Adrian

Hey Peema, they said it would be in Portarlington in April? Cool

Any chance of a revisied Price list.

I Live in dublin 6w Thinkin about broadbad and have been told that almost all options are availible to me.

Now i Just need to talk money

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭Goosey

Got BB today.

Eircom €39.99 package.

C:\>ping www.boards.ie

Pinging www.boards.ie [82.195.131.128] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 82.195.131.128: bytes=32 time=25ms TTL=58
    Reply from 82.195.131.128: bytes=32 time=25ms TTL=58
    Reply from 82.195.131.128: bytes=32 time=24ms TTL=58
    Reply from 82.195.131.128: bytes=32 time=24ms TTL=58

Ping statistics for 82.195.131.128:
    Minimum = 24ms, Maximum = 25ms, Average = 24ms

C:\>ping www.jolt.co.uk

Pinging clarity.jolt.co.uk [195.149.21.11] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 195.149.21.11: bytes=32 time=35ms TTL=57
    Reply from 195.149.21.11: bytes=32 time=34ms TTL=57
    Reply from 195.149.21.11: bytes=32 time=35ms TTL=57
    Reply from 195.149.21.11: bytes=32 time=32ms TTL=57

Ping statistics for 195.149.21.11:
    Minimum = 32ms, Maximum = 35ms, Average = 34ms

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭Panzer81

RE: NTL throughout the country

There's some strange kind of agreement between Chorus and NTL as regards how the country is divided up.

Chorus have BB in Clonmel, Kilkenny and Thurles over cable.
    Rumour has it that cork is next in August and Newbridge sometime again.

128/512k
    10GB/month
    €35/month €50 install
    You get the use of one of their cablemodems and options of USB/Ethernet.
    motorola 5100 are the modems we use mostly now.

I have it, my pings are rather tasty for gaming, not bad at all.
    I work for Chorus, sometimes on the modems so I know stuff...
    Kilkenny has one sweet cable network and lovely ping/rates I'd imagine, b*****ds.

There's talks of packages that include wireless routers sometime too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 ubiquity

Depending on the area you are in you can have a great service or a dreadful one. For most its somewhere in-between.
    The streaming most times is unwatchable for me.
    Will broadband ever catch on for the masses?
    Only if its free!
    If people are reluctant to pay 150 a year for a TV licence, they will not pay 10 a month (120 a year for broadband!) ...and thats only 10!

This will probably go against a lot of people on this board who 'know better' but its reality!
    Broadband will work if its free. Can it be provided free is the question

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

Stupidest comment of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

Stupid and cheap assed comment. Ask youself this, can you make free telephone calls? assuming you have a phone.

ask 10 people on a street will they pay 120 a year for broadband
    (not 480 the current subscription level)

But then, this is exactly what a civil servant doesn't want to understand
    Joe Soap will not pay!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

Then joe soap won't have broandband will he?! :)
    Which one are u?

I'm one of the fortunate ones who can afford it. Love it, where I live don't have an issue (most of the time). They still have to perfect streaming though.
    My comments were about the vast majority of people. I'm on a PC and love it as you probably do. Those who use it a little primarily for email will not pay. Its amzing the push on this broadband issue. It'll never happen unless its free

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭halkar

Mmmmmm where is the free lunch? :p
    I am one of those who can afford but can't get it :D Apparently €ircom doesn't have long enough cables to reach my town maybe :D
    There are many fortunate ones that can afford but can't have it because it is not available. Price of broadband is coming down but I doubt we will ever see it for free maybe eventually €ircom might integrate it with their phone line rental if they have some competition in the future for the land lines to make theirs competetive. :rolleyes: Anyway I am still waiting, free or not free :D

• Registered Users Posts: 43 peema

Previously I said (about DSL in Portarlington):
    "Poke Eircom for ADSL"
    :
    "The exchange hasn't been upgraded yet"
    :
    "April, if you haven't heard back from us by May you might try ringing back then."

So I rang them again yesterday.

It now seems the upgrade is scheduled between April and June.

That's just teasing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭Mac daddy

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement