Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband availblility. what and where.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Is there a map somewhere that charts this? Be interesting to see what level of coverage in now available.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭hamster

kaizersoze wrote:
    Kilmacthomas, Co. Waterford.
    Kilmeaden, Co. Waterford.

Wow! Pigs really can fly! Must check this out next weekend. Thanks for the update kaizersoze. What source backs up the news? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭Nuphor

hamster wrote:
    Wow! Pigs really can fly! Must check this out next weekend. Thanks for the update kaizersoze. What source backs up the news? :)

Front page of eircom.ie!

Passage East, Waterford should hopefully be in the next batch.

(Please let me be able to avail of it, Please let me be able to avail of it, Please let me be able to avail of it...)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

hamster wrote:
    go to www.eircom.ie
    Bottom right hand corner click on "News".:)

kaizersoze wrote:
    go to www.eircom.ie
    Bottom right hand corner click on "News".:)

I better be skepical then. :) Signed up last night for the starter pack. 3 Weeks... we'll see. Hope they take away our ISDN while they are at it.

11 years of dial-up almost at an end. Hang on Nuphor .... hang on!

• Advertisement

hamster wrote:
    I better be skepical then. :) Signed up last night for the starter pack. 3 Weeks... we'll see. Hope they take away our ISDN while they are at it.

They will. The line has to be downgraded to a standard line before they can install BB. It's also an engineer call-out, so thats more money and you will loose one of your phone numbers.

It was a €100 to get ISDN in and now 100 to take it and downgrade it I guess. Sigh! Can't wait til they get rid of it. It's cumbersome compared to this A/DSL. Amazing how it aged so fast in the last few years.

hamster wrote:
    It was a €100 to get ISDN in and now 100 to take it and downgrade it I guess. Sigh! Can't wait til they get rid of it. It's cumbersome compared to this A/DSL. Amazing how it aged so fast in the last few years.
    Not as bad as I thought. There is a €25 migration charge plus the standard BB install charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭red_bairn

I dont think anybody mentioned Brittas Bay, Co.Wicklow.
    Just reading the Wicklow Times here that just came through the door and it has it mentioned.
    "Brittas Bay will experience internet access speeds which are amongst the fastest in Europe."-Andrew Fordham, SME Marketing Manager, Eircom.
    Ha!

hamster wrote:

I never thought I'd see the day. The passage east exchange in Waterford is now live:

clipboard011qj.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭matc66

Does anyone have any idea of where and when NTL is being enabled in Dublin, specifically Ringsend. Nobody on the phones gives me any idea. But one person did say once that I would be getting it in a "number of months":confused:

Thanks.

Nuphor wrote:
    I never thought I'd see the day. The passage east exchange in Waterford is now live.

Way to go Nuphor. Way to go!

Actually the Eircom guy that installed it for us outside Kilmacthomas was 2 miles towards the Bonmahon coast. He quoted that they plan to support BB as far as 8 miles out from the exchange (just outside the village). Actually checking the netopia's stats the noise ratio - I'm getting around 30-37dB. In dublin I get around 50dB but it's a long line in the house.

Only 2. It was supposed to be more.
    The following 2 exchanges were enabled on Thursday 27th April 2006:
    • Duncannon, Co. Wexford.
    • Passage East, Co. Wicklow.

kaizersoze wrote:
    Only 2. It was supposed to be more.
    The following 2 exchanges were enabled on Thursday 27th April 2006:
    • Duncannon, Co. Wexford.
    • Passage East, Co. Wicklow.

Haha, wrong place, it's Co. Waterford. Nice going Eircom :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

are you passing for any business packages Nuphor and are you more than 3km out from Passage exchange????

Sponge Bob wrote:
    are you passing for any business packages Nuphor and are you more than 3km out from Passage exchange????

Yep, passing for business packages:

Your Line Is Passing For The Following Netsource Services:
    Corporate
    Enterprise
    Origin
    Origin Plus
    Office@Home

I'm around 4-3.5km's from the exchange roughly I'd say, but I'm not sure of it's exact location.

Looks like a perfect line to me because you pass for everything :D

Sponge Bob wrote:
    Looks like a perfect line to me because you pass for everything :D

I know! I was pretty amazed by this too, since any neighbours I know within the area surrounding me (there's about 10 hourses within 300m of where I live) all failed. When I got ISDN last year there was a lot of fuss over getting it installed, since there was absolutely no copper in the area to spare, so a new line would have to be run to the exchange to me, which could've taken months to do. I got in touch with.. I can't think of his name right now, he was the head of customer services, and no less than 2 weeks after I wrote a letter to him a brand new line ISDN line was installed in my house, and I can only assume it's brand new copper, since it passes even for business packages.

Or else the result is false BECAUSE its ISDN .

Mind you while I would expect 2 Mbits at 3.5km or 4km and possibly 3 Mbits I have some difficulty with the idea that you could get 5 Mbits at that distance .

Sponge Bob wrote:
    Or else the result is false BECAUSE its ISDN .

Mind you while I would expect 2 Mbits at 3.5km or 4km and possibly 3 Mbits I have some difficulty with the idea that you could get 5 Mbits at that distance .

Like I said, I'm not entirely sure of the exchange's location, but thinking about it I'm fairly sure the Passage East exchange isn't actually located anywhere near the village itself. I don't live in Passage, I live in Ballygunnermore which is about 5 miles from the village itself. There's a redbricked building very near a petrol station about 2 miles away from my house, and I'm nigh on certain upon thinking about it that that's the exchange.

Having an ISDN should have no bearing on the test, however, since all it really checks is signal attenuation and SnR, and weather the line is ISDN or PTSN should bear no relevance.

I haven't recalled seeing any threads here about ISDN lines offering substantial skewed results, and but I do remember some threads about ISDN lines still failing.

*shrugs*

• Advertisement

Having ISDN would guarantee you wouldn't have splitters on your line also.
    If there wasn't enough copper in your area when you ordered ISDN, and you had to get a new line back to the exchange, chances are all or most of your neighbours are on split lines. Hence the BB fails.

kaizersoze wrote:
    If there wasn't enough copper in your area when you ordered ISDN, and you had to get a new line back to the exchange, chances are all or most of your neighbours are on split lines. Hence the BB fails.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking, too.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Anyone know if Torque use a different default password to the one given on the side of the router? Trying to set up port forwarding and can't log into the router.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭surveys

http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/em/fr/-/1/hi/technology/4964860.stm
    We are not just behind, we are LIGHT years behind !! This should be sent to every single TD in 'da house'. !!

This is pretty weird. I've been checking the line checker every so often after I ordered broadband for my passage east exchange line and it's been continuously passing, and it was tested on two occasions, the 22nd and 29th. I placed the order on the 25th or so so I guess the 29th was a restest done before going ahead with the order. This would also make sense since no other lines connected to the exchange that I know of where re-tested on the 29th. Anyway, I checked last night on netsource's checker, and was greeted with "no test results available" for my number and some numbers of people I know near the exchange who were passing previously. It was still passing on eircom's site, until this morning, and when I digiweb's checker, it said I was connected to an exchange which wasn't DSL capable.

I guess they're having some teething trouble, I'll get in touch with my source in BT to see what's up.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,033 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

will i ever see broadband in golden co.tipperary

Do eircom have a set number for a population of a place before they'll install broadband

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭persian

Anyone know when NTL will have enabled South Circular Road,Dublin 8 for broadband???

The following 3 exchanges were enabled on Wednesday 17th May 2006:
    Ballyfarnan, Co.Roscommon.
    Pelletstown, Co.Meath.
    Portlaw, Co.Waterford

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭Maxwell

Ive just been onto eircom (1800253253) to check on whether ny exchange
    a) has been enabled
    b) or when will it be enabled
    Absolutely no help whatsoever - don't know when anything will happen and kept asking me for my name and not my number???

So, can anyone help me?

I would like to find out when my exchange will be enabled - its a small exchange outside Nenagh: Ardcroney

Anyone know or have an idea where/who to contact to find out?

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

its only now that i must look for broadband that its so rubbish in ireland.

I was sharing a business package with a neighbour (under his consent) for ages, he had a lovely juicy 4mb line, still poor for business standards but all that was reasonable.

Now i got my new pc and we have a sluggish line with all the pcs on it.

Now i go to look for my own bb package, and get offered crap from eircom, 30 euro a month for a 1mb line and 8gb cap, my nuts its such a ripp off..

The best package by miles is ntls 6mb line at 40 euro a month, and its not available in swords, its allowed of arse imo and someone should really get rid of this monopoly known as irish broadband.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement