Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband availblility. what and where.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

You might not be able to get esat because they have their own equipment or something.

Netsource are ok if your not gonna play games or you work at night and play games during the day :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Aindriu

here, does anyone know if Eircom are going to upgrade the Monaghan exchange?

Or is there any other way of getting broadband in Monaghan without having to buy your own feckin ' Satellite

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Wanton

Well raven, not much of a gamer but i will be downloading a fair bit, hence I am looking for a service with no cap on the d/l

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭exiztone

How reliable is the EU50 a month Esat/BT ADSL package?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭Qadhafi

eircon.jpg

Someone said that the monaghan exchange was being upgraded January 2002... well obviously that was bollocks, cos i'm still here using a crappy modem.

Any ideas when the exchange is being worked on, there advertising it on telly like its available or something :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Tripkipke

Originally posted by Lemming
    PoE (Power over Ethernet)

PPPoE = "peer-to-peer Protocol over Ethernet"
    Used with Ethernet ADSL modems and Cable modems ect..

PPPoA = "peer-to-peer Protocol over ATM"
    Used with Usb modems ect...

For more information on those protocols (and not some kind of ethernet based power supply) consult our good friend "google"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Proxima123

Hi,
    Anyone have any concrete information on when Athenry will be enabled. It was earmarked last year but I've heard nothing since.

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Jonnie_Onion

I was just in touch with eircom about they're different packages and the list they gave didn't mention an SME package with 1:24 contention and no download cap. Just the multi with 10 gig product follwed by the premier 1mb service.
    Can anyone confirm if the SME service exists?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 J K Partridge

About this interleaving

'High interleaving' means ping times > 60ms

how about

'Low interleaving' what ping times can I expect ???

and surely there is a minimum ping time even without interleaving.

whats that ??

With my ISDN my min ping time is about 80-85ms

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

you should update the info on Irish Broadband.
    here it is:
    http://www.irishbroadband.ie/residential.html

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MrPinK

Originally posted by Jonnie_Onion
    I was just in touch with eircom about they're different packages and the list they gave didn't mention an SME package with 1:24 contention and no download cap. Just the multi with 10 gig product follwed by the premier 1mb service.
    Can anyone confirm if the SME service exists?
    For ADSL they only have solo, mulit and enhanced. Enhanced is their only uncapped package.
    'Low interleaving' what ping times can I expect ???
    20-30ms for an irish host

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭DannyD

Originally posted by Coyote
    Eircom Do Not Publish A List or Map of Enabled Exchanges
    Coyote [/B]

Sure they do... just click on the "What do I need" section of their dsl page for a list and map of exchanges which are dsl enabled.

Any please update the local references to "southside" to southside DUBLIN.Two thirds of the population don't live in or come from Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭MickFarr

I think you mean connection ratio. A connection ration is the amount of people that share the same line your on. eircom have a connection ratio of 48:1

The easiest way to explain this is how your water pipes work. It would be to expensive to link every house to the reservoir so you have one pipe that servers 100 houses (for example your estate). If you were the first person (and only person) in the shower in the morning, you would get lots of water pressure have and have a good shower. If everyone woke up at the same time and you all had a shower at the same time the water pressure would be very low and you would have a bad shower.

That would be connection ratio of 100:1 100 house share the same water pressure

What that means is if every body was using up there full connection you would only get 48:1

(512kbs / 48) * 1 = 10.66kbps. Thats way slower than a 28KBps modem!!!

NTL has a connection ratio of 20:1 and a speed of 600kbps

(600kbs / 20) * 1 = 30kbps not to bad

My office used a 1MB line from leap.ie with a connection ration of 4:1

(1024kbs /4) * 1 = 256kbs (excellent!)

;)

Actually your description is very percise - but one minor detail - its called a CONTENTION ratio -

as in - 'a bone of contention'
    several customers 'contending' for the same broadband.

I appreciate that a connection ratio probably seems like a better way of describing it !
    But on a technical note your 'connnection' is always there - the 'connection' is your point of entry into the providers network - this is not shared - its yours - how much bandwidth you get at any given time is a different matter of course.

I know its anal - but terminology is important - imagine if people started calling bandwidth - cyberspace
    'I dialled in yesterday and I got 48K of cyberspace'
    It would drive me scatty !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭MickFarr

Sorry, my mistake I will repeat 100 times "Contention Ratio" ;)

:)

50 times should be adequete punishment -

I would say 64:1 ratio sucks the big one - luckily eircoms general incopentence means there are not that many people connected which is bad for the general Joe - but excellent if you have actually suffered the ordeal of getting hooked up and are getting a wopping 412kb all the time (as I am)

No complaints here - I'm alright jack ..etc :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭tribble

ISP = Irish Broadband - Wireless ISP
    Name = residential
    Cost per month = €48.40 (vat included)
    Type = Wireless
    Speed = 512K Symmetric Service
    Download cap = No Cap
    Ping = ?
    Contention ration = 8/1

Are you sure this is correct?
    i got this sent to me just now...

Bandwidth________Contention________Installation________Monthly
    512 K (SoHo) ____20:1________€149________€75
    512 K________4:1________€149________€135
    1024 K________4:1________€149________€250
    2048 K________4:1________€149________€450

tribble

PS - FIX the spelling of Leap on the first post.
    PPS - FIX NTL's "no cap" to 1 GB/day

• Registered Users Posts: 14,322 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

donegal towns been upgraded for about a month now still can't pass the line test though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭elbow316

Is there any kind of a list of which exchanges are next in line to be enabled? I'm living in Longford and have heard nothing about broadband availability in the county :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭muffen

Ehh.. I though it was Point-to-Point Protocol over Ethernet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭mfield

Rang IOL today and they told me that the Newbridge exchange has been enabled. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

Originally posted by Tripkipke
    Used with Ethernet ADSL modems and Cable modems ect..

PPPoA = "peer-to-peer Protocol over ATM"
    Used with Usb modems ect...

For more information on those protocols (and not some kind of ethernet based power supply) consult our good friend "google"
    It's point to point, not peer to peer.
    Maybe you should consult google before lecturing, the type of modem i.e. Ethernet/USB has nothing to do with the protocol used.
    That's implemented on the ISP's end.

As they Say - Relax the Kaks

This on is simple

PPPoA is used in the uk - and the default VPI/VCI setting is 0/38
    PPPoE is used by (and more of a european standard)

the irish reg authority for comms standards is 'comreg'

our VPI/VCI setting is 8/35

So typically everything we buy is suited towards our friends over the water and you have the ardious task of configuring it back.

If you are ever confuring broadband all you only need know is ....

PPPoE and 8/35 !

Happy days

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭quank

does anybody know if NTL is available in Blanchardstown? Dublin 15?

and this is probably a stupid question but meh:
    What is cable? Do you use your telephone wire with cable?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

What is cable? Do you use your telephone wire with cable?

With cable you get your broadband signal in the same way as you get your multichannel tv. A modem is connected to your cable and hey presto your flying or so those lucky people who use cable are always claiming anyways!.

Link to some info below.but does not list the areas why not give them a call and see?

here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭quank

i get the same reply back from them
    "sorry for the delay
    sorry, we cant give you any precise of expansion to D15"

SIGH

• Registered Users Posts: 6 dfdunne

Does anybody know if this part of swords has already got DSL, I know the swords exchange has the capability and a shopping village much further away from the exchange has DSL. Eircom check via .net just say not available. I need it for work, ISDN/Anytime, too slow...

Thanks

/David

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 The TICK

NEWBRIDGE Exchange is NOT enabeled as of today, got that from Eircom and IOL...:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 The TICK

Newbridge Update!!!

I just got a call from Eircom today 11/12/03 and they said that the Newbridge was enabeld yesterday after I last spoke with them, just called IOl and they have confirmed this today also. Happy Xmas after all maybe?:D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,691 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Rang both eircom and iol last week asking bout Monasterevin in Co kildare.
    2006 was the reply :(
    Today on a news bulletin on radio i heard 80 towns are to be upgraded ,any towns with over 1500 population that is.
    Maybe this is the 2006 factor ???
    Very unhappy is me :(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement