Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband availblility. what and where.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,035 ✭✭✭BKtje

Might be an idea to update this with all the new info?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Gangsta

Any1 know when NTL Cable is going to offer their excellent broadband service in the rest of Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭KilOit

do u relise how much work is involved in laying down cables.
    their wont be cable in some parts of the country for a very long time or maybe never. try isdn not as good as cable but what choice u got. thank **** i live west dublin hahahaha suckerz :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Eircom and netsource are now available in Letterkenny. Could someone also post the details for UTVs service, and it's quality. Is it run through eircom exchanges, and is it available in Letterkenny?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tazzle

eircom i- stream rollout has been extended
    10:14 Monday 14 July 2003

We are delighted to announce the following eircom exchanges are now DSL enabled:
    Galway HPO.
    Tycor (Waterford).
    Pormarnock.
    Letterkenny.
    Athlone.
    Ballina.
    Mullingar.
    Macroom.
    Bandon.
    Shannon Town.
    Listowel.
    Tuam.
    Ballinasloe.

Full List of newly upgraded exchanges, as of 14th of July

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Soldie

Erm, the pings you mention, nice idea to include pings. But what are these pings to??? UK server, Dutch, American or an Afghanistan server? What? Pointless including a ping when you don't specify the ip you pinged and/or the location of it geographically.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tazzle

Try the ping thread mate

• Registered Users Posts: 6,389 ✭✭✭jonski

this could do with an update to include UTV's b/b service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Gangsta

Originally posted by KilOit
    do u relise how much work is involved in laying down cables.
    their wont be cable in some parts of the country for a very long time or maybe never. try isdn not as good as cable but what choice u got. thank **** i live west dublin hahahaha suckerz :D

R u thick? The cable is already layed down, it's only upto some1 to offer the service, idiot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MrPinK

Fraid not. The cable already in place can only transport information one way. They need to replace it with spankin' new 2-way fibre optic cable for their broadband service, which is damn expensive to do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭KilOit

then in that case everyone would have it silly boy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭SOL

Stupid Question: Why would anyone lay down one way cable?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MrPinK

Because there was no need to have 2 way cable at the time. TV signals only need go one way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭embee

Broadband has landed in my home town (Ardee, Co. Louth)
    This means nothing to me but apparently its quite exciting.
    I work with eircom and I can get broadband installed free of charge. I dont want it though. A few frantic friends are asking me to give their address as my own and get it installed. Who is going to tell me what the big deal is?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭The_Bullman

Just noticed this thread.

Is there any way of posting information about digiwebs wireless availability.

I have heard that they are covering the northeast with wireless broadband but it may just be rumours

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭embee

Louth, Meath and cavan are the only counties that are getting the wireless broadband afaik

• Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭Serbian

Originally posted by goo
    (Possibly a stupid question)

What's a contention rate?
    I didn't see a reply to this anywhere so here's my attempt to explain! Also this is not a stupid question at all goo, lots of people would have no idea what a contention ratio is.

Basically, your phone line is connected to something called a DSLAM [DSL Access Multiplexor] in your telephone exchange with 48 plugs in it -- Don't worry too much about the technical speak, just think of it as a giant plug board that you can plug 48 telephone lines into.

This DSLAM is connected to a pipe with a certain amount of bandwith assigned to it, say 5 Megabits. All the users connected to the DSLAM share the 5 Megabits of bandwidth. So, the more users that are connected, the less bandwith there is to go around.

This is basically what a contention ratio is -- 48:1 means 48 people share the same connection from the exchange -- Or there are 48 plugs in the DSLAM. It sounds pretty bad, well it is, but most of the time you won't even notice yourself being contended. So, the lower the contention, the lower the likelihood of your connection being affected by other people downloading things, and the more 'pure' the bandwidth is.

This was meant to be a simple explanation of what contention is, but it didn't really turn out that way :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭The_Bullman

Originally posted by embee
    Louth, Meath and cavan are the only counties that are getting the wireless broadband afaik

I still think that it should be mentioned all the same. Not all of us live in Dublin :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭rander00

Can u get Digiweb wireless in Louth, howcome theres nothing on digiweb at the top of this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Chowley

Originally posted by The_Bullman
    I still think that it should be mentioned all the same. Not all of us live in Dublin :)

Youre dead right, its about time they found out theres life outside dublin theres even city's

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭rander00

Yeah,,, them ould Scrubliners get everything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 Mslug

any chance of a phat wire coming to kilkenny

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Wanton

Carlow town just gone live recently, and i jsut signed a 3 month contract to get flat rate connection with utv :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Jilm

Originally posted by Wanton
    ...and i just signed a 3 month contract to get flat rate connection with utv :mad:
    I think you could have your dialup account migrated over to their broadband service, which wouldn't leave you out of pocket (that is, if you wanted UTVip broadband).

Not sure who I wont to go with, only just found out the exchange was ready, and I am just a bit surprised, they told me a month ago or so it would be next year at least, which ment i did expect to get it in till prob end nxt year.

But I rang yesterday as per usual just to scad and was told my exchange was ready and my line passed.

So I am now trying to search throught all these threads to work out which one I want.

I have a fairly good idea about most of it, but most of the threads, no matter how they start decend quickly into tech talk.

Will wait and see.

Got one question, maybe I can get a quick answer, is UTV capped? If not i will prob go with them, if not maybe netsource if they are in my area, I dont see the point in having it if its capped, defeats the purpose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Chowley

No, UTV is capped at 5 gig.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Anyone know if DSL is available in Dunboyne?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Stormfox1020

Dunboyne was on the List of Exchanges to be enabled by the end of this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭Chimaera

Anyone know what the story is with wireless broadband in Limerick. The only company I know of who do it here is Chorus, and they won't sell it to residential customers :mad:

Cable is out for me since Eircom are only taking 'expressions of interest' for my exchange atm.

• Advertisement

ok, I am going to apologise in advance, I am sure this question has been answered before, but I cant see it.

I assume if my exchange is live then I can connect to any company offering broadband. I am thinking netsource cause they seem to be the only people offering a service with no cap without paying a fortune?

Are they the only people offering a service with no cap without paying a fortune?, and without getting to technical, ie pings etc, are the any good?

Again, sorry, I am sure these have questions have been answered.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement