Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Via Networks RADSL

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭zynaps

I don't see any reason why a console like the xbox would be dependent on your internet access being DSL.
    Are you saying it has a DSL modem or something and will only accept phone line connections?

Most likely it's ethernet, in which case you can share it with an internet connection on your pc (even dialup, I guess).

Also, there's no reason to assume just because some people on IBB were getting sub 30ms pings it will stay like that.
    Those guys seemed to be about 3 or 4 people making up the whole user base, which was new and clean and such, in a limited area.
    As IBB add to their own infrastructure and more people sign onto the service (wherever the hell they are, they're absolutely rubbish when it comes to promoting and keeping people informed about themselves), it's very possible that latency will increase...
    People haven't expressed as much liking for latency on leap/irishwisp.

So maybe you should both stop jumping to conclusions and wait until you have more applicable/real data :)
    (no offence, just what's the point like?)
    zynaps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Originally posted by Sloth
    Boston, fair enuf if you don't care what I get but yeah, I'm interested in what you and other people get. Let's be honest, it doesn't look like IBB is coming out until Juneish and by then my contract with via will be over and I can make the move to IBB if you think it's that good. Atm I'm coming from a console point of view, since I've been told that wireless doesn't work I'm going with my best option for the moment at least. We've all waited too long for BB and I for one don't want to wait the extra 2 months or so. Oh btw do you know if IBB uses usb or ethernet?
    Even if my dsl connection turns out to be I dunno, only about twice as good as a modem I'll still be a very happy chappy due to the general unlimitedness.

IBB is available to me now, for one big reason i have to wait untill june to order it. Its a network bridge they use, theirs no modem involved, you can run a cable directly into your x-box if you felt so inclined or route it through a router or hub in order to share. To be honest with you i doubt you will see a performance difference that would merrit switching from via to ibb once you have it. All i'm tryign to get accross is that ibb will more then likely work equally well for games as via, if not better. btw ibb gives you just shy 5 times the upload bandwidth that via does, something i would consider.

zynaps the same can be said about any network, not just ibb. though ibb have a 1:8 contention ratio which makes it that bite more attractive then you bog standard adsl with a 48:1 contention ratio.

one thing though if your plaining to use the broadband allot during moring hours, they cut back your speed to about half. i dont really mind since all broadband services will do this in one form or another, including dsl

• Closed Accounts Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Sloth

Originally posted by zynaps

So maybe you should both stop jumping to conclusions and wait until you have more applicable/real data :)
    (no offence, just what's the point like?)
    zynaps

Didn't I just say exactly the same thing 8 posts ago?
    Anyhoo, this is what the site says:
    We require all customers to use equipment provided by us. This is because although all 802.11b systems are inter-operable when used in a LAN configuration, they may not be inter-operable when used in a in a WISP (wireless Internet service provider) configuration.

This supports the fact that Xbox Live does not support them since they use a different configuration to a normal bb connection. This is fine since a pc can be configured to accept this but the xbox can't. If you know someone who has IBB get them to try it, I'd love to be proven wrong but I don't think I am unfortunatly.

Didn't I just say exactly the same thing 8 posts ago?
    Anyhoo, this is what the site says:

This supports the fact that Xbox Live does not support them since they use a different configuration to a normal bb connection. This is fine since a pc can be configured to accept this but the xbox can't. If you know someone who has IBB get them to try it, I'd love to be proven wrong but I don't think I am unfortunatly.

You have completely gone off the plot again. that referres to the actual equipment used to provide the service, the reciever on the roof. your starting to wonder all over this thread with off topic technicall talk. I wonder if most of this wouldn't be better being split and maybe moved to the network forum.

It refers to the connection between that and your pc I think you'll find.
    I wouldn't mind but you can't even prove me wrong on any of this.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

I think Sloth should get DSL from Via.

I wouldn't mind but you can't even prove me wrong on any of this.

prove you wrong one what exactly? that the equipment you mentioned is for the reciever? I could porvide links to wireless networks birdges, the same basic thing ibb and leap use, that specifically say they are comparible with ps2 and x box online, but i dont think it would help since your clearly not the most technically aware. nothing wrong with that, just stop arguing with me about this. i think so, and the nice people at linksys also think so

btw it doesn't refere to the connection between the bridge and the pc, since the connection between the bridge and the pc is a cable. please five minutes ago you thought they used a modem ffs. don't start quoting a handbook your not able to understand. I also agree with SkepticOne

I'm going to call your bluff and ask you to provide the links please.
    I also agree with SkepticOne.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Lex_Diamonds

/me bricks up Boston and Sloth into a patented Argue-Box

Anyway, VIA are a good lot, now that their service can be gotten for 54 per month I shall probably look into this rather than Esat. Caps arent bad as such, but unreasonable ones are.

before anybody who knows what there talking about jumps on me, this is just an example. It basically what leap and ibb do on a very small scale. for sloth: before you ask, the only reason anybody would connect an x-box up to one of these wireless bridges (ibb install something no a million miles away to this) is to play over the net, or if they had loads of x-boxs lying around.

also note where its says comparable with the ps2 and x box

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000066JQU/103-1758539-1601440?vi=glance

When XBox Live was looming on the horizon I started wonder how in the world I was going to get my XBox online. My TV is nowhere near my broadband connection and dragging a cable around wasn't an option. When Linksys introduced the wireless bridge, all of my problems were solved. I was able to easily connect my Xbox (and any other device which happens to sit near the TV) to my home network.

Think of the bridge as a device which extends your wired network, just without using a wire.. :) A wired network comes out of one side of the bridge, allowing you to connect a device that accepts a regular ethernet connection. If you need to attach multiple devices, simply put a hub or switch in the mix.

During the initial setup I had some problems. My wireless access point was up and running, but I couldn't connect to the bridge. It turns out I needed to connect it to my wired network to get the initial configuration correct. Once I did this the rest of the setup was a breeze and it has been working flawlessly ever since.

Again, for those people that are considering this for use with an XBox (or probably any other gaming console), I've had no problems. I regularly run game servers on my XBox and the bridge has been great.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭Synkronite

Since VIA is reselling eircom's istream.. does that mean that it uses the same data pipe out from the exchange as eircom does.

The point im getting at is would the broadband quality of service be the *exact* same as eircom's i-stream?

(As in Id be willing to go with eircom with a cap, if it meant I got better quality / faster broadband than capless VIA which will definately have people downloading 24/7)

I think the pie is firmly in your face. Those have sod all to do with the actual wireless isp, they're just wireless LANs for christ's sake that just cut out the wires in your house.
    That is, by far the dumbest thing you've ever posted.

I think the pie is firmly in your face. Those have sod all to do with the actual wireless isp, they're just wireless LANs for christ's sake that just cut out the wires in your house.
    That is, by far the dumbest thing you've ever posted.

how could you possiblity have read what i said and the link in the time it took you to post. you clearly didn't read it. I even left a note to explain it to you. sorry my fault for posting something to "complex" heres a bumbed down version. scan down to the end see where it says "Adam from Arlington, Texas, wants to use Xbox Live with a wireless Internet connection. " read that, then read the link, which points to the device i just posted up.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I cant tell you that Wireless pings are sweet. I get 50 to the UK.

The first hop is <10 and after that it depends on the routing tables of the routers in the ISP.

Wireless is slightly better then copper pair being about .7 of the speed of light in transmition where as copper is about .6 (afaicr).

The difference is negliable when compared to video card, routing, mouse sampling etc.

Boston is correct that after about 128-256 k of bandwidth the latency is the issue, not the rate at which you can pull data.

DeV.

Originally posted by DeVore
    I cant tell you that Wireless pings are sweet. I get 50 to the UK.

The first hop is <10 and after that it depends on the routing tables of the routers in the ISP.

Wireless is slightly better then copper pair being about .7 of the speed of light in transmition where as copper is about .6 (afaicr).

The difference is negliable when compared to video card, routing, mouse sampling etc.

Boston is correct that after about 128-256 k of bandwidth the latency is the issue, not the rate at which you can pull data.

DeV.

at last someone i can talk to. You have leap right? isn't that abnormally high ping due to leap routing through bizarre ntl setup? hardly a typical. I don't knwo weather it was hear or on the network forum that it was suggested that ibb had their own connection to england, which should make pings allot smaller.

Btw the speed of the wireless service for tranmittion should be the speed of light, since radiowaves travell at the speed of light, but i dont know what restrictions would be in place so i can't really comment on it, but thats their upper limit.

Poor poor misguided Boston. You see that wireless refers to (let me put this in bold in case you can't quite comprehend) LANs and not to wireless ISPs. You see that person is using a standard broadband connection but just wants to connect his xbox to his LAN so he can use ICS without using a cable. You see I have a wireless LAN at home here, it doesn't mean I can connect to the internet and have pings of <10.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Lex_Diamonds

Originally posted by Synkronite
    The point im getting at is would the broadband quality of service be the *exact* same as eircom's i-stream?

(As in Id be willing to go with eircom with a cap, if it meant I got better quality / faster broadband than capless VIA which will definately have people downloading 24/7)

IMO, 99% of people wont have heard of VIA so this might not be a problem. The majority of Marys and Martins will be going with Eircom and some stragglers will choose Esat. The status quo will continue. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Poor poor misguided Boston. You see that wireless refers to (let me put this in bold in case you can't quite comprehend) LANs and not to wireless ISPs. You see that person is using a standard broadband connection but just wants to connect his xbox to his LAN so he can use ICS without using a cable. You see I have a wireless LAN at home here, it doesn't mean I can connect to the internet and have pings of <10.
    If you have doubts about X-box running over wireless ISPs, you might consider DSL, e.g. Via.

he who laughs last, probably doesn't get it. Again did you read me post? i think i spelled it out pretty clearly that it was an example.
    It basically what leap and ibb do on a very small scale

you see where i don't claim its an internet service but i stress that its basically the same principlas involved on a small scale.

then i say
    ibb install something no a million miles away to this

you follow, A comes before b, b comes before c...ect

Your really startign to annoy the ****e out of me, and i just know i'm going to get bitched out for messing up this thread. if you have any questions i suggest your try an alternative service such a via, nice an simple just like yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

This is going nowhere fast.

Locking thread as its serving NO useful purpose whatsoever and im now getting very suspicous about certain parties motives for keeping it open.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement