Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Via Networks RADSL

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Originally posted by thomasb
    You're probably paying this anyway if you have a phone.
    Heh heh, you'll live to regret saying that Thomas.

It's like a car crash, isn't it? You know you shouldn't be looking, but you'll look all the same.

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Trebor

Lets not start that argument again :)

i thought everyone agreed that if you are thinking about going ADSL then you are already paying line rental and that it should not be put in to the calculations as they should only state how much EXTRA it will cost to get it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Originally posted by Trebor
    Lets not start that argument again :)

i thought everyone agreed ...

well they all ganged up on lil' ol me anyway but thats not quite agreement :D

Ardmore will be back soon to cheer me up.

M

• Registered Users Posts: 8,044 ✭✭✭BKtje

Just got a reply from VIA, gave the same answer as the one p2p got with this bit added on which is about contention ratios.
    The 1 Mgb service is available at 169 euro per month, the reason it is more
    expensive is that it works off a 24:1 contention ratio and the rate adaptive
    service works off a 48:1 contention ratio.

Someone earlier got a reply saying the new product was 24:1, however the reply i got says the €63(exclusive VAT) one is 48:1.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Originally posted by thomasb
    You're probably paying this anyway if you have a phone.

I agree, i'm not really bothered either way if I have to pay line rental, yes it'd be preferable to have the whole line dedicated to dsl and not pay line rental to eircom but in most people's situations that's not very feasible.

Although i'll be sharing the connection price of dsl with two others so it'll work out cheaper than utvip if I got the Via product.. :)

Nice to see they're offering DSL outside of Dublin now too!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Sloth

Originally posted by SkepticOne
    Did you hear this from any authoritative source? I can't think of anything intrinsic to a wireless connection that might preclude X-box. It is just another means of providing broadband.

Have IBB said specifically that you can't run X-box?

From a recent support chat I had on the xbox website:
    William (Tech Support): I really have been given no details about any issues retailed to LIVE being launched in Europe. So, I wouldn't pretend to know why it wouldn't be available in Ireland. Some of the other consoles even allow dial up, so it isn't a fair comparison. Here in North America, LIVE cannot be used with satellite or wireless connections, even though they are very fast, the connection isn't reliable enough still.

So there you have it, right from the horse's mouth.

As for interleaving, does anyone have any ideas on the performance difference between an interleaved connection and a non interleaved connection games wise?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Originally posted by Sloth
    From a recent support chat I had on the xbox website:

So there you have it, right from the horse's mouth.

As for interleaving, does anyone have any ideas on the performance difference between an interleaved connection and a non interleaved connection games wise?

I'd ask what does he mean by wireless. sat makes sense sicne the lag is crap. also wireless services i namerica tend to have crap lag aswell because of volume. Maybe he should change that to shouldn't instead of can't. I bet i could make it work in all of five seconds.

You get IBB, I'll get Via. Lets see who gets onto the Xbox Live servers first. If I can't and you can then since I only have a 2 month contract I can switch over no hastle. Live is one of the main reasons I'm getting bb and since the horse's mouth says that wireless conns aren't supported then I'm going with what seems like the option that gives me the best chance of logging into the xbox live servers.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,044 ✭✭✭BKtje

It's about double i was led to believe as each bit of data is sent twice or something. Im sure one of the more knowledgable people will give you a proper explanation to how this algorithim works.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

well, from personal experience i can say theres a noticeable difference. An interleaved dsl ping to an irish CS server varies from 50-80 ms. Non-interleaved pings seem to be about 20-40. Wireless pings are also about 20-30 when they are stable.

The support drone you talked to dumbed down his answer to you. You could use a satellite connection for x-box if you wanted but the latency would be so high it would be next to useless (2000ms+). As boston said there may be conditions in the US that make wireless not idea for gaming (such as oversubscription). This does not mean they are incompatible, just inadvisble.

• Advertisement

You get IBB, I'll get Via. Lets see who gets onto the Xbox Live servers first. If I can't and you can then since I only have a 2 month contract I can switch over no hastle. Live is one of the main reasons I'm getting bb and since the horse's mouth says that wireless conns aren't supported then I'm going with what seems like the option that gives me the best chance of logging into the xbox live servers.

I should be getting ibb in 2 months, you give me your x-box and i'll set it up :) seriously thought its just an ethernet connection with the propre equipment it wouldnt even know that it was connected to a wireless service. And irish wireless services seem for the most part to be better then american ones.

Mmm the chances of it being compatible with the dsl connection are just that bit higher to make it the better option in my eyes. The fact that since Via use standard modems etc means that I can swap to a different isp when a better service comes along which will hopefully be sooner rather than later.
    Are you people totally sure that interleaving can't be turned off for dsl? I'll ring them tomorrow I guess and ask.

Originally posted by p2p

And here's the response i received today ...

Thank you for your email.
    [...]

Interleaving is switched on and cannot be switched off as it is a Eicom's
    policy. DSL will be released on all Eircom enabled exchanges.

[...]

Kind Regards,
    <customer rep> [/B]

Sloth, this was posted in this thread about 10 posts ago.

Mmm well you can never be too sure I guess. I rang them up today and asked could interleaving be turned off and while they said that they can't do it themselves they advised me to call Eircom and see if they would be willing to turn it off. I really can't see any reason why Eircom wouldn't be willing to turn it off can you? I mean turning it off just on my connection would not have any major drawbacks to them as far as I can see.

Eircom will not turn off interleaving,

Ah screw it anyway. I don't think the performance loss will be all that great anyways. As I've yet to actually see what connection speeds I even get (whether it will be over 512k or under depending on line distance) I can't really say much about it. Anyways I'm not even looking for super low pings as beyond a certain level it doesn't really matter, eventually with enough pressure I'm sure Eircom will change it but I'm not going to spoil the momentous broadbandification by worrying about some vague data correction protocol.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭zynaps

I can't really say much about it.
    You already have though! Jaysus lads :)
    Stop obsessing about their service until you actually get it!

zynaps

Mmm well you can never be too sure I guess. I rang them up today and asked could interleaving be turned off and while they said that they can't do it themselves they advised me to call Eircom and see if they would be willing to turn it off. I really can't see any reason why Eircom wouldn't be willing to turn it off can you? I mean turning it off just on my connection would not have any major drawbacks to them as far as I can see.

Take it from me, (who know abite), and from dustaz (who knows abite more)

They will never turn off interleaving. people like me and dustaz new about this long before the service was launched because we where on the trial. It sacrifices quality for quantity. They will not, absolutely no way turn it off for a single user, just no way to do it for one account only. Most sales people won't have a clue what it is anyway. The only reason esat don't have it is because they use unbundled lines. How unbundled or what spec I haven't been able to find out.

As for wireless, believe what ever you want from dumbass Americans. ill be playing chess over the internet with a 35ms pine while your trying to play halo with a 95ms one.:ninja:

OK after ringing Eircom and being sent on to a guy who actually seemed to know what it was and being told repeatedly: "Eircom do not turn off interleaving as it is company policy" I freely admit that your right.
    Now on to pings, well for me below a certain level the actual ping doesn't worry me and the only reason to have a super low ping is for pimping reasons and general showing off.
    If, when both services (IBB and VIA) are running together and you can prove that IBB has a) lower pings b) a steader connection and c) supports LIVE then I will gladly make the switch. Seeing as I've spent the last few years playing games like CS with pings of around the 350 area I'll take 90 any day.

OK after ringing Eircom and being sent on to a guy who actually seemed to know what it was and being told repeatedly: "Eircom do not turn off interleaving as it is company policy" I freely admit that your right.
    Now on to pings, well for me below a certain level the actual ping doesn't worry me and the only reason to have a super low ping is for pimping reasons and general showing off.
    If, when both services (IBB and VIA) are running together and you can prove that IBB has a) lower pings b) a steader connection and c) supports LIVE then I will gladly make the switch. Seeing as I've spent the last few years playing games like CS with pings of around the 350 area I'll take 90 any day.

I'm firmly convinced you haven't a clue at this stage. I don't play allot of games online, but im fairly certain your wrong. I was always told at a certain point speed becomes meaningless as far as games go, and the ping becomes the most important thing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭STaN

This service is now available for €54.40 minus the pop3 accounts and domain name. Still capless.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭parasite

now that is tempting

mmm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭talla

where did you hear that from stan?

Originally posted by Boston
    I'm firmly convinced you haven't a clue at this stage. I don't play allot of games online, but im fairly certain your wrong. I was always told at a certain point speed becomes meaningless as far as games go, and the ping becomes the most important thing

Ditto:
    As for wireless, believe what ever you want from dumbass Americans. ill be playing chess over the internet with a 35ms pine while your trying to play halo with a 95ms one

You have no idea as of yet what pings will be like on the wireless service yet suddenly you seem to think your going to get pings in the region of 35. I don't care if I have pings in the 200 region as long as it's playable I have no worries about it. In my mind anything sub 100 is grand as long as theres no lag spikes (which I've been told can happen more so on Wireless). I think at this point neither of us knows so lets both just get our respective connections first, compare notes and whichever one comes out on top I'll gladly switch over to/stay with.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

This service is now available for €54.40 minus the pop3 accounts and domain name. Still capless.

How do you know this Stan? Any links?

Installation Options
    Self Install Option €81.81 (Modem Required)
    On-Site Installation €165 (Hardware not included)

USB Modem €119
    Ethernet Modem €229

Payment Options
    Monthly €45
    Annual €495

ALL PRICES EXCLUDING VAT @ 21%

• Registered Users Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭Mr. Fancypants

Well, that would be the best RADSL deal available at the moment wouldnt it? Im scouring their website at the moment looking for the prices but cant find them...

Have you got a link to that STAN please?

Thanks

Ditto:

You have no idea as of yet what pings will be like on the wireless service yet suddenly you seem to think your going to get pings in the region of 35. I don't care if I have pings in the 200 region as long as it's playable I have no worries about it. In my mind anything sub 100 is grand as long as theres no lag spikes (which I've been told can happen more so on Wireless). I think at this point neither of us knows so lets both just get our respective connections first, compare notes and whichever one comes out on top I'll gladly switch over to/stay with.

Actually 35ms ping was being conservative on my part. some forks are quoting 15-25ms pings on ibb services, which is a bite un believable. The thing is that ibb is available now as is what via is trying to resell. so i think i can make quiet afew comparisons, you would know this if you had actually bothered to research either service instead of telling people whats what.

Btw i nearly positive 200ms pings would be pretty unplayable for most games. As for which service i dont care what you get, ill get ibb if i can and if not via's service

Originally posted by mbroaders
    Well, that would be the best RADSL deal available at the moment wouldnt it? Im scouring their website at the moment looking for the prices but cant find them...

Have you got a link to that STAN please?

Thanks

There is no prices on their website, ring them. That price list is from an email quote.

• Advertisement

Boston, fair enuf if you don't care what I get but yeah, I'm interested in what you and other people get. Let's be honest, it doesn't look like IBB is coming out until Juneish and by then my contract with via will be over and I can make the move to IBB if you think it's that good. Atm I'm coming from a console point of view, since I've been told that wireless doesn't work I'm going with my best option for the moment at least. We've all waited too long for BB and I for one don't want to wait the extra 2 months or so. Oh btw do you know if IBB uses usb or ethernet?
    Even if my dsl connection turns out to be I dunno, only about twice as good as a modem I'll still be a very happy chappy due to the general unlimitedness.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement