Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Via Networks RADSL

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Qualm

Last i heard from VIA - late last year, their products were all 12 month contracts, excl VAT and had the same download CAPs. This was all confirmed by a sales REP over the phone even though the site says different.

Now in saying that maybe they have changed it, does anyone know of anyone that has VIA ADSL?? I've not actually heard of anyone with it ... gods knows what to think :-)

Paul

p.s. lets hope this news is true and inc VAT and that we can get it on *all* eircom enabled exchanges

[edit] I just noticed that my GF was logged in here hehe[/edit]

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

*ahem* that last post (by qualm was myself)

Come on VIA, give us the Facts of this new service :-)

Paul

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Originally posted by eth0_
    Eircom told me there'll be a new line test after April 11th to take account of RADSL, so if your line failed before, have it tested after then, you never know.

Too late for me I'm moving to UTVip. Should have done it months ago. I'll probably wait for the UTVip to roll out cable too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Originally posted by flamegrill
    *ahem* that last post (by qualm was myself)

Come on VIA, give us the Facts of this new service :-)

Paul
    Suggest you PM Thomas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Sloth

I want to leap on this thing as soon as possible. I've just contacted them via their form and will ring them tomorrow asking for full details of the service. This almost sounds too good to be true but if all goes ok I plan to avail of their service asap but even if it turns out to be crappy the fact that it is only a 2 month contract makes it very appealing.
    No limit + 1mb speed + €68 per month + 2 month contract - Eircomness = sex on wheels.
    Viva Via!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭Rancid

Originally posted by Sloth
    I want to leap on this thing as soon as possible. I've just contacted them via their form and will ring them tomorrow asking for full details of the service. This almost sounds too good to be true but if all goes ok I plan to avail of their service asap but even if it turns out to be crappy the fact that it is only a 2 month contract makes it very appealing.
    No limit + 1mb speed + €68 per month + 2 month contract - Eircomness = sex on wheels.
    Viva Via!

EXACTLY!

Especially the *no cap*.

I've been watching my "bytes received" over last couple days....and I'm not downloading mp3's or anything... just browsing lots and playing Half-Life a bit less than usual... and I'm seriously wondering if Eircom's ration of 4 gigs is gonna be too little....:confused:

Is 4 gigs enough?
    Opinions, please! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭Mr. Fancypants

Where are you getting the 1mb speed from? It would be the same as Eircom's starter pack (512MB rate adaptive).
    I mailed them back pointing the Sales Rep to this thread and asking for confirmation if the 63 euro included VAT or not. I would be surprised if it does include VAT personally.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 thomasb

Two things:

as far as I know, that 63 euro is exclusive of VAT.

Secondly, with regard to whats on the website, as I mentioned in my earlier posting, we're due to rebrand in the next few days, and I'd imagine a new web site is to be launched with that.

I hope this answers some of the questions,

Thomas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Originally posted by mbroaders
    Where are you getting the 1mb speed from? It would be the same as Eircom's starter pack (512MB rate adaptive).
    I mailed them back pointing the Sales Rep to this thread and asking for confirmation if the 63 euro included VAT or not. I would be surprised if it does include VAT personally.
    I'd guess off their site where its says they will offer two services a 1mb and a 512k service. 68 euro+vat for a 1mb connection, if its true is about as cheep as your going to get from anybody.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭Rancid

68 euro+vat for a 1mb connection...

Hmm....and for the 512k service... I wonder how much?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Originally posted by Boston
    I'd guess off their site where its says they will offer two services a 1mb and a 512k service. 68 euro+vat for a 1mb connection, if its true is about as cheep as your going to get from anybody.

*faints*

Well Rancid if the 1mb service is that cheap then you might as well go for that or else live the rest of your life wondering what if.....? Now I don't know about you people but I'm off to order my xbox live starter kit :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Christ, where did anyone say it would be €63 for 1 meg?

Via resell eircom, eircoms cheapest 1 meg connection is €150. How are they gonna offer it for €63?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Originally posted by Dustaz
    Christ, where did anyone say it would be €63 for 1 meg?

Via resell eircom, eircoms cheapest 1 meg connection is €150. How are they gonna offer it for €63?

Sloth did on the other page, when asked where he got 1mb from i pointed out that there will be two services a 1mb and a 512k service. I did not make any claims about price, just to clear that up

Oh sorry I kinda presumed that €68 was for the 1mb service. I'm going to ring them up now and find out more. Watch this space :D

Mmm, couldn't get through. I presume they're all too busy working on getting me my bb connection. I'll try again tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭Mr. Fancypants

I have gotten confirmation that the 63 Euro is exclusive of VAT.
    Seems slightly expensive to my tastes. Thats what...77-78 Euro inc VAT? 24 Euro more expensive per month for Uncapped Broadband....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

Right, spoke to them on the way to cavan of all places :p this morning.

63 europ + vat = 512/128 RADSL service for home users, it includes a domain of choice and 5 pop accounts. it has a static IP and no download limit and a contention rqatio of 48:1. Don't be fooled, they don't have it available to all eircom enabled area's either. Ahwell :)

There are 3 other products for business starting at 169, 200 and 235 respectively. All come with a domain and the last comes with and SMTP backup service. All Ex-VAT to may I add ... RIP off HEHE

The home one isn't too bad, ill hold out for a bit yet anyways...

Paul

Right, so the cheapest uncapped DSL in Ireland currently is 76.23 euros.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

Originally posted by mbroaders
    I have gotten confirmation that the 63 Euro is exclusive of VAT.
    Seems slightly expensive to my tastes. Thats what...77-78 Euro inc VAT? 24 Euro more expensive per month for Uncapped Broadband....

A curious pricing structure considering few home users are likely to chose to pay such a premium unless they expect to be extremely heavy users - which VERY few would imho.

They clearly expect Esat not to complete with Eircom in most exchanges and they will get six months of premium earnings while competition develops.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭parasite

78 euro !!
    geroutta dat :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭BKtje

still no word on wether you can get fastpath for sure?

Originally posted by B-K-DzR
    still no word on wether you can get fastpath for sure?
    Have you tried ringing them?

http://www.vianetworks.ie/contact.html

Ok people this is the reply you've been waiting for. I've just gotten off the phone with the Via sales people and have been given the prices as followed including VAT:
    512k service, no download limit 24:1 contention ratio comes in at €106 per month. Well worth it in my eyes.
    1mb service, no download limit, 24:1 contention ratio at €169 per month. Mmmm, I'll probably try the 512k for the moment since the contract is only for 2 months.
    Install costs come in at €165 for install as well as an aditional €229 for the modem.
    The sales rep has just told me that they will email out the order form to me which I can then either fax or mail to them once it's filled out.
    Altogether your looking at splashing out €563 for it. The sales rep admitted that this was a bit expensive but I think it's well worth it.
    There was some cheaper service which she said was rate adaptive which I think refers to the €68 per month service which has a not very nice contention ratio of 48:1. I think you should all go for the 512k package since she said that the contention ratio pretty much doesn't come into this at all and I know it might be a bit on the expensive side but since you can buy a standard modem (which lets face it you'd have to buy anyway) and the contract is only 2 months long I can't see any major issues. I'm not sure about whether or not I'll need a router but was told that no I probably wouldn't but she'd provide full info on the order form.
    At least give them a call, the phone call was great and the people at the other end actually seemed to know what they were talking about for once. I was told that it would take 11 days after they receive the form for the engineer to come which lets face it really isn't that long at all. Hopefully within 2 weeks I and most of you will be broadbandified via VIA.
    Viva Via!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭MDR

The sales rep admitted that this was a bit expensive but I think it's well worth it.

I think this only deserves a simily so ... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Originally posted by Sloth
    I think you should all go for the 512k package since she said that the contention ratio pretty much doesn't come into this at all and I know it might be a bit on the expensive side but since you can buy a standard modem (which lets face it you'd have to buy anyway) and the contract is only 2 months long I can't see any major issues.

harumppph 512/128 24:1 contention at over €100 a month and no CAP........will i tulips as the man once said to the bishop.

I note that Via are peddling the Eircom line on the self install modem. They are not letting the end user choose their own kit and then install it. Comreg should have this sorted out by the 11/04 as soon as someone formally complains about Via networks thru the complaints interface Here . You can be sure that no Linux software will ship with any Zyxel ....internal or otherwise. Having to buy a Grossly Overpriced Eircon modem in order to use their horrendously contended service is an insult to us all.

M

MDR, you don't think it's worth it? I think it's dirt cheap considering how expensive it'd be to get an Eircom connection without a cap. Again the fact that it's only a 2 month contract and a standard modem makes it lovely dubly.
    I think if via deserves a smilie is should be :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭MDR

it definitely doesn't deserve a :cool: , maybe a :rolleyes:

I am sure via are making a big fat margin on this product,
    it is a product aimed at the business market I suppose afterall,
    hence the static IP, Domain name and other crap the average joe would never use, and it is alot better than eircom's SOLO offering I do accept.

But infairness, compared to standard European telco DSL products offered from Portugal to Talinn, Copenhagen to Ljubljana, its a bit of a joke. They are stealing the march on the Irish Broaband market with a half-assed product, and good luck to them, but this is not really the market busting product we are seeking ....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

C'mon Thomas, refute MDR's assertions! :)

adam

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭echomadman

Thank you for your enquiry regarding our DSL services. Presently our DSL
    service is only available within Dublin and greater Dublin

sigh, same old, same old,

continue the research......... :(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement