Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Via Networks RADSL

Options
  • 04-04-2003 5:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭

I sent a mail asking Via Networks if they would be reselling the Eircom Starter Pack. They sent me back a mail with these details :

They will be reselling the package on the 11th Of April
    You will get 5 POP3 email accounts and a domain name
    There will be *no* download limit
    You can get a 2 month contract
    There is a static IP
    It will cost 63 Euro

The mail didnt state if the 63 Euro included VAT or not.
    The contact number for VIA is 014336032

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Do VIA offer their service at any eircon dsl enabled exchange or is only for a small specific number of exchanges?
    63 euro (incl/excl VAT )might be better value for some considering no cap, still expensive though (:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭Mr. Fancypants

They are just reselling the Eircom product so i imagine it will be any exchange that Eircom offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Originally posted by mbroaders
    They are just reselling the Eircom product so i imagine it will be any exchange that Eircom offer.

I just rang and the girl said "we're not reselling eircoms product, it's actually our own product"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Snaga

Of course its their product.

They may be using eircoms equipment (DSLAMS), but all of their customers traffic will be shipped to VIA's core network and it will be VIA who provides the IP service to the customer, not eircom.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,044 ✭✭✭BKtje

€63 with no download cap, hmmm.
    Anyone know if they user interleaving or fastpath or sommet else?

Atm Esat will be getting my money even with a download cap cos of fastpath.

If no one here knows ill try ringing em on Monday as they probably off the the weekend already.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Originally posted by mbroaders
    They will be reselling the package on the 11th Of April
    You will get 5 POP3 email accounts and a domain name
    There will be *no* download limit
    You can get a 2 month contract
    There is a static IP
    It will cost 63 Euro

I'd say it excludes VAT

I heard that they can get interleaving turned off which helps gamers, normal RADSL will have interleaving turned on.

2 Month contracts are a help if cheaper alternatives show up in the next 8 months because the Eircom contract is a full 12 months no matter what the service.

They cannot be too happy with Eircom whoa re busy selling the product already bye bye Comreg. Via , their own reseller, have to wait the full 21 days to the 11/04

Ya makes yer own bed though.

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

I have DSL and will be switching to a reseller unless Eircom drop the price.

But i wonder if VIA will actually advertise their service (like HERE would be a good place).

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Originally posted by KdjaC
    I have DSL and will be switching to a reseller unless Eircom drop the price.
    But i wonder if VIA will actually advertise their service (like HERE would be a good place).
    kdjac

You mean Via should take out banners rather than PIMP it LARGE like IBB does.

A nice colour banner (top right) could allude to the 'Cheapest Uncapped DSL' product in Ireland which is what it initially appears to be from the posts above. That would imply a serious long term commitment to the Irish market and thats where I have my suspicions about Via. Anyone in it for the long road would surely advertise where word of mouth is generated.

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Exactly ,i mean if they are going to offer that package which is far superior to Eircoms they should be pimping it large everywhere.

Me wonders also.

Maybe we all to skeptical :)

kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭BArra

via or esat or even... eircom should cater for gamers, most people that will take up bb will be those wanting low latency for online games..

places like germany cater for their gamer market by offering radsl with fastpath and they cash in on it, maybe price it a little more and the gamers would take it up, for the less latency issued consumers could purchase a lower end product with it turned on

but that would just be plain stupid wouldnt it irish telco's??

baz

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Originally posted by Snaga
    Of course its their product.

They may be using eircoms equipment (DSLAMS), but all of their customers traffic will be shipped to VIA's core network and it will be VIA who provides the IP service to the customer, not eircom.
    It will be interesting to see if they cover areas outside of Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 thomasb

I hope I'm not breaking the forum rules on advertising, but I thought I would make a couple of points.

I am a VIA NET.WORKS employee, but I would point out that anything I say or do does not neccessarily represent the companies official position.

Firstly, VIA NET.WORKS sold their Irish operation off last summer, and the Irish company is no longer part of the VIA Worldwide corporation. As such, VIA Ireland is concentrating solely on the Irish market, and a new name change is due to be announced in the very near future. As our market is now purely Ireland, I think I'm safe in saying that we are committed to Ireland.

I've pointed our sales department in the direction of this thread - I'm sure some of the comments will be taken on board.

Hope this helps,

Thomas

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Why not grab a commercial interaction board. (Your product market research is off topic for this board). All the same we welcome any interaction with ISP's provided they declare who they are.... *glares at certain users*

Welcome to boards!

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Assuming the mentioned price is excl. VAT...

€63 + 21% = €76.23

Per month.

Even if it is uncapped, it has feck all chance of selling very well.

If it's actually €63 though, I could be convinced I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Originally posted by daveirl

Any website for this company?

It's, emm, www.vianetworks.ie :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,355 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Presumably this is the new offering?

http://www.vianetworks.ie/adsl.html

Don't see any mention of monthly rates, just the connection charge [€165 (plus VAT at applicable rates)] .

Especially like the look of this...

And there are no traffic charges with Via's DSL offering, so you can upload and download whatever you like, whenever you like, without worrying about costs.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

I know this is nitpicking (not to mention offtopic)... but on this page with a map of your connections to the internet the point that goes to Ireland is in the southwest .. and its marked Dublin ... I take great offence to this :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭Mr. Fancypants

I dont think the website has been updated with details of the new product yet. Its the same info up that was up for the original Eircom wholesale product.

Originally posted by Longfield
    Presumably this is the new offering?

http://www.vianetworks.ie/adsl.html

Don't see any mention of monthly rates, just the connection charge [€165 (plus VAT at applicable rates)] .

Especially like the look of this...

And there are no traffic charges with Via's DSL offering, so you can upload and download whatever you like, whenever you like, without worrying about costs.

Originally posted by Snaga

I know THAT. She gave the impression to me that they were using their own equipment in the exchange....crossed wires I guess.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Of course if your line doesn't qualify for eircoms product it won't for Via's either since they use the same test AFAIK

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭bricks

Originally posted by thomasb
    I hope I'm not breaking the forum rules on advertising, but I thought I would make a couple of points.

I am a VIA NET.WORKS employee, but I would point out that anything I say or do does not neccessarily represent the companies official position.

Firstly, VIA NET.WORKS sold their Irish operation off last summer, and the Irish company is no longer part of the VIA Worldwide corporation. As such, VIA Ireland is concentrating solely on the Irish market, and a new name change is due to be announced in the very near future. As our market is now purely Ireland, I think I'm safe in saying that we are committed to Ireland.

I've pointed our sales department in the direction of this thread - I'm sure some of the comments will be taken on board.

Hope this helps,

Thomas

How come the webpage does not give a monthy subscription price? (So we don't need to rely on Biddys)
    There is no mention of the contention ratio either.
    It does imply that there is no cap by saying download as much as you want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

guess contetion ratio would be the same as they are re-sellers.
    Monthly price i believe was 108 euro, the same as eircon but no cap
    There was an earlier thread about VIA last year but can't find it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,044 ✭✭✭BKtje

Originally posted by BArra

places like germany cater for their gamer market by offering radsl with fastpath and they cash in on it, maybe price it a little more and the gamers would take it up, for the less latency issued consumers could purchase a lower end product with it turned on

Germany's main dsl provider has only within the last month switched to fastpath, not sure what they had before, surely theres more than just the two. Either way thei pings werent as bad as the eircom ones but not much better before.

If VIA will indeed use fastpath if i request it id be more than willing to fork out the €75 a month :)
    Must ring em to confirm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭p2p

63 Euro
    NO cap

I'd definitly consider getting it alright
    Still very steep, but i might hold off
    and see what UTV can do for us .. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭shinzon

Is this offering just dublin, because the blurb says dublin and beyond

The should have given more info really

SHIN

• Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭MDR

brillant, this is exactily the type of thing the committe was hoping ... as via was already reselling, we are really hoping for more providers to start reselling also, create some competition ....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Notice to UTV and VIA. A lot of us are gamers, maybe 50% of us! We want low latency broadband, we might even pay a little extra for it. That means, Fast path over RADSL or no interleaving!

VIA are definitely heading down the right track with no cap, UTV please do the same.

Now what I want is someone to build a time machine so its Xmas already, this is when the Balbriggan exchange (16,000 people) will be upgraded) :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Originally posted by thomasb

Hi Thomas, welcome to the forum :)

Dont worry, as long as your interacting with the posters here your not breaking any rules. The only thing we take a dim view on is unsolicited or extremely transparent marketing of services.

Great to have yis on board here, enjoy your stay :)

Oh yeh, we REALLY want to know if that price is vat inclusive or Exclusive.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by RicardoSmith
    Of course if your line doesn't qualify for eircoms product it won't for Via's either since they use the same test AFAIK

Eircom told me there'll be a new line test after April 11th to take account of RADSL, so if your line failed before, have it tested after then, you never know.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement