Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE: Today with Pat Kenny - Etain Doyle.

Options
  • 27-09-2002 4:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭

On Monday, 30 September, at 10am, Pat Kenny will be interviewing the telecommunications regulator Etain Doyle on the subject of mobile, Internet access and broadband communications and is inviting questions from the public.

To send in questions, simply email the show at todaypk@rte.ie. Please make sure you title the email clearly, e.g.: "Etain Doyle - Broadband Question".

Questions can also be faxed on 01 2082634 and phoned in live on 1850 715 900. More information is available from the show's website.

RTE Radio 1 can be listened to live over the internet here.

We'll be sending out an email to all our members later tonight.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Glad I read this, I heard him mention it at the end of his show today then completely forgot.

If 80% of questions and comments are'nt from IOFFL
    members/posters all be amazed! :D

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

Skepticone,

Is this interview restricted too "Mobile & Broadband communications!"

As there is no mention of - Flat Rate or fixed fee internet schemes am I detecting a bias somewhere against "Affordable FRIACO for all" in this interview.

Yours,

Paddy20:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

Why does Flat Rate have to be talked about just because broadband is being discussed Paddy20?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

paddy20, the email address is right there if you want to adress that point.

NoelRock,

Why not a Flat Rate Broadband service, as well as a 56k slow service - both at fixed always on monthly fair fees?

Yours,

paddy20.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Originally posted by paddy20
    Skepticone,

Is this interview restricted too "Mobile & Broadband communications!"
    That is what Pat Kenny said on the radio. Other subjects may be included. It is not down to IOFFL.
    As there is no mention of - Flat Rate or fixed fee internet schemes am I detecting a bias somewhere against "Affordable FRIACO for all" in this interview.
    Well, they've also excluded leased lines, frequency allocations, etc. Flat-rate is something that I'd like to see included but it is the producers choice as to what Etain Doyle is interviewed about. I would not call it "bias" as such, merely that they've taken two of the areas that the ODTR is concerned with.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

Originally posted by SkepticOne
    That is what Pat Kenny said on the radio. Other subjects may be included. It is not down to IOFFL.Well, they've also excluded leased lines, frequency allocations, etc. Flat-rate is something that I'd like to see included but it is the producers choice as to what Etain Doyle is interviewed about. I would not call it "bias" as such, merely that they've taken two of the areas that the ODTR is concerned with.

Exactly - the ODTR are just as concerned with pirate radio as they are with broadband or flat rate* - RTE are just picking out two topics relevant to their audience and discussing them in-depth. The more topics they discuss, the less depth is covered.

*- As Far As I Know

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

From Today with Pat Kenny
    ...on monday telecoms regulator Etaine Doyle will be with us, among the topics I'll be discussiong with her are the cost of mobile phone busines in gerneral, internet access and rolling out of broadband structures...

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Top post edited accordingly. Tnx Mike.

Mike65,

Very many thanks, for clarifying my "Broadband bias worry".

Well, now that I know that - Internet access - is on the agenda for open discussion in accordance with broadcasting regulations.

As Dustaz already suggested I will now send an e-mail question relating too the scandalous lack of a "Always on Internet access fixed fee service here in the Irish Republic" When same is vital to all sectors of the Irish community, and is already being availed of by most European citizens. Their gain is our loss.

I just hope that Mr Pat Kenny will put my question too "Herself" in a firm and decisive tone of "Some gravitas"!.

Good luck.

Yours,

paddy20:)

• Advertisement

Well,

My e-mail has been duly despatched at 10.00, 29th September to the Pat Kenny show.

Copy of my e-mail also forwarded to info@irelandoffline.org. You are very welcome to post it up for other members to read if you wish.

I wonder how many members sent in messages?. I would love to read them in a thread like "Questions submitted to Etain Doyle".

Just a suggestion which could be interesting and enlightening.

Yours,

paddy20;)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Forwarded them details of the eircomtribunal petition with my response to our Minister for CAB announcements. It does mention Etain after all.

• Moderators Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭LFCFan

Just listening to her now. They're talking about the internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭pork99

Pat Kenny - the man who makes Alan Partridge look like Bertrand Russell

he's asking some lame question about providing broadband to Connemara

when asked about Flat Rate she's talking about UTVip.

Q. Why is there no 24/7 Flat rate?

A. She says that only half of Europe has it. Talking about FRIACO. She says there's no legal basis for it.

Q. Why don't €ircon offer this?

A. Get someone from €ircon in to talk about it (She hasn't a clue).

Q. Do €ircon have a problem. Ireland is small so why can't they get it done. Have to give it to everyone so it would cost too much.

A. She's going on about S. Korea that has a lot of people in small areas. America has only 10% coverage for Broadband.

Q. Do we have to be dearer than the UK because we are Ireland?

A. Major funding gap and talks about the government giving grants. She says that ADSL needs an upgrade to the exchanges. Esat wouldn't have done anything only they got money from the Government.

Q. We're way behind?

A. She agrees that we are way behind but she says we will catch up and overtake all these other countries. She says it's because of other countries having to unbundle the loops. She says NTL ran out of money so couldn't complete their broadband roll out.

Q. NTL were supposed to deliver all sorts of great service???

A. Going on about licenses that doesn't require them to provide internet services. They gave them the license to deliver digital television and the other stuff was never part of the license even though they promised it. NTL are nearly bankrupt but Chapter 11(US system to help companies) might help.

Q. Why not unblundle the NTL loop?

A. They are working on it. Legal problems etc. Supposed to happen last March. Going on about funds again. She can't unbundle at the moment because of legalities but EU law next year might change this.

Q. Will competition be allowed in???

A. It may happen but she can't say at the moment.

On a break now!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,322 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

just listened to second half of internet discussion
    as far as i see it she has no power to do ANYTHING

Etain Doyle=waste of space !

mind you the mind numbingly corrupt self serving FF gov probably has something to do with it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭pork99

oh my God!

the clueless shall speak unto the clueless

Just listened to that interview...:eek:

She came out with complete waffle....
    There was a lot of emmm... ahh...emmm...ahhh...emmm...emmm in her answers mixed with this waffle.
    Virtually every answer was along the lines of "I have no legal basis for that...":rolleyes:

I can only conclude that this ODTR has no power at all.
    I strongly suspect that the only answer is a tribunal to find out if theres any brown envelopes flying in whatever direction to keep this country in the dark ages :mad:
    At least a ten year wait if it has to go down that road.
    mm
    p.s
    This issue more than anything else is warming me to the Nice Treaty in the sense that most movement on anything at all seems to come via Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭VeeEmmy

Originally posted by LFCFan

...She's going on about S. Korea that has a lot of people in small areas. America has only 10% coverage for Broadband.

She actually said only "10% of the U.S. have broadband."

Slippery wording, to suit the situation. I wonder how much of the US population has the AVAILABILITY, the OPTION, the CHOICE of broadband. Not just what percentage has signed on so far!

Roughly .025% (that's 2.5 hundredths of one percent) of Ireland has broadband. Perhaps .05% has the availability! ha. But of course she could say that 100% of Ireland has broadband availability if we'd all subscribe to one of the various extremely expensive complicated wireless options available.

I can't say I was surprised at her empty, powerless, uninformative words. How lame IS this alleged "position" of hers??? Why does it exist at all?

ODTR.... "R" stands for REGULATOR, right? But she has no power to regulate anything from what she said! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Anyone get that on mp3 or whatever format?

I missed it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭DonegalMan

Pat Kenny at the end of the show summarised an email that I had sent him; in case anyone is interested here is the full text of it:

Dear Pat

First a bit of background; I have a retail business with 5 branches in the Republic and 5 branches in Northern Ireland. It is NOT a high tech business - we sell wooden floors - but we want to use the Internet to link our branches together for inventory purposes.

I would like to compare the situation North and South.

Two weeks ago, we opened a shop in Derry, about 20 miles from our head office in Letterkenny. The day I installed the computer in Derry, I applied for broadband access with the choice of three providers (there probably were more but I was happy with any of these three). Nine days later, our broadband was up and running at an installation cost of £50 (78 Euro) and monthly cost of £30 (47 Euro).

Just 20 miles up the road at our head office in Letterkenny, what is the broadband situation in regard to broadband? Answer - zilch! There is NO broadband availability in Letterkenny and no one can tell me when, if ever, it will be available.

At this stage, because we desperately need some form of always-on connection, I am considering a satellite installation. This will cost us up to 1500 Euro for installation and anywhere between 150 and 400 Euro per month ongoing - 20 times the installation cost for Derry and up to 8 times the monthly cost for a service that is less efficient. Whilst we can carry this cost at our head office, it is not economically viable at our other branches.

Ireland is trailing dismally behind the rest of the world in Internet access and it is hurting business at a time when we are all concerned about our economic performance. Etain Doyle will probably argue that her office is responsible only for the regulatory framework and not for the rollout of services. The reality, however, is that somewhere between the legislation and the ODTR's regulation of it, the right conditions have not been created for providers to offer the services that this country so desperately needs.

Martin Harran, Director
    VFM Floors
    Thorn Road
    Letterkenny
    Co. Donegal

Footnote:
    I don't know whether your discussion will focus solely on Broadband or will also cover flat rate dial-up (FRIACO); in regard to the latter, whilst it would not be an ideal solution for our business, it would at least provide a stopgap solution.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Feel free to let IrelandOffline know how you feel about Etain Doyle being made Chair of the new Commission here.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Fergus

Notice the way Doyle kept going on about can't do anything cos of not having any legal basis to intervene in relation to flat-rate, ntl, etc..

But then at the end of the interview she happily tells us all the great effort and progress they are making to bring the consumer mobile number portability, despite in her words having no legal basis to intervene.

Maybe they should rename her the Director of Regulation of Phone Number Prefixes, cos that seems to be about all she is able to control.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

After reading LFCFan's summary I'm pretty disappointed to say the least.

Anyone get a full transcript of what was said ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭longword

Does anyone else get the feeling that her job is not to look out for us, but rather to ensure that all of the operators can rip us off equally?

...........part in Irish Politics. I don't trust anyone anymore in the government or anyone associated with them. Even if Bertie was to get the push, who is there to replace him? Brian Cowen? He's as useless as Bertie. We need a Government that is in touch with the 21st Century needs of it's people. Seeing as we employ Berties and his goons we should be able to sack him too. 5 years is too long to have to wait to have another vote on the matter and by then the dopey Irish Public will have forgotten all about their lies this time round and will probably vote them back in again on the back of more lies. By then though we will have fallen back to 2nd World Status and unemployment will be at an all time high. I just hope I won't be living here to witness it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭MDR

For those who missed it ... Pat Kenny 30/09/2002

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭Canadian

Q. We're way behind?

A. She agrees that we are way behind but she says we will catch up and overtake all these other countries.

I'm amazed that someone so stupid can actually keep a heart beating while speaking. The world in which she lives is a truly different place.

====================
    Save the Spotted Owl
    Vote No to Nice

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

I'm amazed that someone so stupid can actually keep a heart beating while speaking.

It's written on the back of her hand.

The world in which she lives is a truly different place.

Like Homer in Flushing Meadows.

heh

Seriously though, what concerns me isn't so much the fact that Etain and her Office are (apparently!) powerless, it's the fact that they've effectively tried to hide it, this last quarterly review being the most blatant - and disgusting - example. So what I'm wondering now - I haven't heard the interview yet - is whether Etain was fessing up here today, or did she try and bluster past her powerlessness. Seriously now, honest answer.

adam

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭TacT

I was gobsmacked to hear how absolutely helpless and useless she is to make any progress in any area, why is she there at all.

As someone else said she has the power when it comes to prefixing our phone numbers otherwise all she has to do is make sure we all get equally ripped off and aggrevated at the lack of any service anywhere.

We were in the dark ages for so long, then when money did start coming into the country all the people with any kind of power decided they had best make a little niche for themselves and this corruption has carried through and I cannot see it stopping, Irish politics are a disgrace to it's people. Fat cats want to get fatter and we get left behind because none of them have the power to do anything, or so they would have us believe.

I think I shall have left this isle in search of greener pastures before I pull all my hair out or they decide to give us some friggin bandwidth. :mad:

mail sent accordingly, AGAIN.

Advertisement