Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Esat Launch NetSmart

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭BKtje

if its a utv problem it will flat-line on ISDN as well.
    Ita happened now and then to me on Eircom as well. (ISDN)

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭vampyre

Originally posted by Snaga

Why not ring their support line and find out rather than wondering if its set up correctly.

What do you think I did? Hold a seance?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭ando

Originally posted by Snaga

Why not ring their support line and find out rather than wondering if its set up correctly.

I did, 3 times... i was just wondering if anyone else has the same problem?

that line was the one I used for the nolimits.. (I got cut off for overuse). I was curious if esat decided to not take on heavy users onto their new packages?

sigh, allegedly they start connecting this evening. What is so terribly difficult about setting up a database iI hope I never know.

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭kamobe

I rang Esat today enquiring about DSL in Blanchardstown, and when it might be available. She guessed at early next year sometime, but she went on to recommend the new flat-rate service. I asked if it was 24 hours, she said "yes". I asked again, more clearly " not just off-peak, 24 hours?". Her reply was, again, yes. A little shocked, a third time i asked. She said if you ask for it you'll get it. It's not geared up for users who want to be on 24/7, or will over use the service (ala No-Limits), but for people who will be checking mails etc. And that it would be accessible during the day at a flat-rate.

She also said "If you ask for 24/7 flat-rate, you won't get it." But if you ask for flat-rate, including peak-time, you will. Basically the message I took from that was that if you need to access the net during the day, to access mail, edit webpages etc, you can, and won’t be charged, but if you want to download mass amounts, this isn't the package for you.

Note: She was a residential Customer Care person, who as awnsering my question about broadband, and advising me about flat-rate. She was to transfer me to sign up to the Flat-Rate service.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Kamobe, i would take that with a pinch of salt. Theres no way she can know whether when that exchange will be upgraded if at all, shes just fobbing you off. As a result, it makes her claim of peak flat rate equally dubious.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Dun

Anyone get connected yet? My account status has moved from "Account not registered. Please contact sales." to "Your Account is pending". I'm presuming this means that they just got round to entering my info into the database..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭ando

your account has been cancelled

I rang up again today, they say they will be setting up the accounts this evening ??? they said the exact same last thursday ??? there must be something going on in the background... esat having second taughts?, cause they've done this already with nolimits, how are they having so many problems now?

I will say this one more time. They are unable to set up the database because they are as thick as mercury in the accounts and billing section. They could not count to 5 using an abacus. This is the answer and your only recourse is to get stroppy and you will get action.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Mayo is a hot candidate (maybe thats what the VDSL in Achill is about :).

Athlone or Tullamore are other candidates it seems.

They cannot get and retain reasonable quality staff in Dublin. This has been a problem since BT bought them and their options vested.

The situation will actually deteriorate because the plan does not involve redundancies, they are hoping that the staff in Dublin will come under too much pressure because they are underresourced and that they will leave.

Their leaving will prove that it is difficult to get 'the right staff' in Dublin because they tend to leave all the time.

The recruitment embargo will mysteriously be lifted when the new office in the Midlands/West is announced to staff, some will be allowed to move if they choose but not anyone technical.

I would suggest that the ESAT workers ask the Communications Workers Union for their 'advice' on "constructive dismissal" and the variety of ways in which it can be done before it gets out of hand in there.

M

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

i got home from holidays early Wednesday morning and saw the netsmart cd and loaded it onto the computer to be greeted with the account cancelled message. i rang yesterday and was told that it will be starting tonight. whether or not it will i will have to wait and see but i was told to expect a phone call today :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

yeah ive been told that theres such a high volume of users that its taking so long, thats what my brother said who called esat yesterday since im in the US now till the end of October. Its 10:30am ish here now..6 hours behind Ireland, i should hear some news anytime now :) hope it works soon!!

Ruu

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭LoBo

Correct me if i'm wrong here, but was the original offer by esat for this product not €30 euro for 90 hours?

Basically, they were happy to offer that until UTVi blew them out of the water with what UTVi are eager to say is NOT a loss-leader (ie, is profitable from the beginning). Esat then changed the offer to include 30 extra hours... something in the region of €20 offpeak calls. What does this tell you about the company and the fat profit margins they were happy carve out of Joe Consumer?

We'll not even mention "the letter".

I couldn't possibly go back to Esat. I urge the rest of you to pick a company with more than its OWN pocket in mind. There exist companies (even in telecommunications) that want to make money AND give a good deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭patrickmooney

It was €35 for 90hours.

Also just received an email from buy4now.ie. You can not sign up for NetSmart from their website, you can complete the application form online BUT they still have to send you a copy of it to sign (as it was completed online it will be pre-filled out!). Interesting....

still no call and my account has been cancelled according to the website. i may cancel it verbally tomorrow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

they told me today, that it'd be Friday evening at the earliest, bleah :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭pepsiman

Hiya, I got this email from Buy4Now - for reasons unknown to me - promoting Netsmart. Netsmart being the new Esat flat rate-ish service. The email starts off with:

We at Buy4Now have partnered with NetSmart to tell our customers about great value Internet access in Ireland.
    According to the 2001 Eircom plc annual report:
    eircom Investments BV, whose ultimate parent company is eircom plc, acquired 22% of Buy4Now Limited on 29 August, 2000.

Is it only I who find that rather odd? Why would an Eircom company (allbeit partly owned) push an Esat service?

As Eircom is no longer a plc there's no 2002 annual report available - at least not one that I could get my sticky fingers on...

Still just a thought. Whether it's worth a thread I'll leave to the mods... :)

[offtopic] Why does Eircom always present themselves as eircom and why does the ODTR always present Eircom as eircom? (I.e. why is Eircom always written in lower case?)[/offtopic]

/thomas

Finally it's kinda up and running. I went to the netsmart page and it stopped showing account pending, and told me to download a file to set up the correct netsmart settings. The number is 1332103001236 but whenever I try to connect, it does that wierd "wtf was that number" tone at me.

Am I jumping the gun or did anyone else get through? I'll give it another go at 6 this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭strat

Originally posted by pepsiman

[offtopic] Why does Eircom
    always present themselves as eircom and why does the ODTR always present Eircom as eircom? (I.e. why is Eircom always written in lower case?)[/offtopic]

/thomas

copyright
    trade mark
    that whole lark

i'm stuck with account pending :(

• Advertisement

I've still got that noise whenever I dial up. I think the number is the same as the No Limits number, except it ends in 6 instead of 5. What prompted me to compare them was the fact that I recognised the sound of the No Limits number being dialled (until it got to the last digit). Freaky.

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭kevinmcc

Anyone actually get connected to netsmart yet? When i checked it today it changed from
    You account has been cancelled
    to
    You are not yet registered. Please contact sales
    and now its back to
    You account has been cancelled

Would they not have the accounts activated by now at the amount of time they take changing the status of the account?

Mine was originally:
    You are not yet registered. Please contact sales.

Then it changed to:
    Your account is pending.

Now it's at:
    Thank You For Registering
    ONLY If you installed our Connection Software for Windows 95/98/NT4...

If you installed the Ireland On-Line Connection software you need to install a small installation file which will allow you to use the Netsmart service properly. Do the following:

• Click on the "Click here to install file" button below which will bring up a Dialog Box asking you to install the file and follow the instructions below...

(1) On the "File Download" box that appears, select "Run this program from its current location" then press "OK". (If you are not using Internet Explorer as your browser software, simply download the file to your computer's hard disk and install the file by double-clicking on it with your cursor)

(2) After a few seconds a "Security Warning" dialog box appears. Click the "Yes" button to continue the installation.

(3) Once you install the file, please click here.

If you did not install our connection software, please click here.

Both the click here takes you to this page:
    Some Important Information
    (@) Check the Dialup Number

-It is vitally important whether you installed the IOL Connection Software or created your own Dialup Networking Connection, that the dialup number for Netsmart is correct.

-After installing the software file just now, you will need to disconnect from the Internet and reconnect to let the settings take place. Normally, this will change the dialup number to the correct Netsmart number.

-You should check that the number is correct to ensure that you avail of the Netsmart charges. Simply click here for a tutorial on how to check the dialup number in our Connection Software.

And the click here on that page takes you to a page to check that your IOL Gold number is set up properly (wtf?).

The dialup number (that their NetSmart file installs) is 1332103001236. As far as I remember that's almost the same as SNL (1332103001235). But try dialling it on your phone and you'll hear that does-not-exist three tone sound.

http://register.iol.ie/netsmart/complete.html is the second page address, just in case you're interested.

cancelled again :mad:

Anyone get their account debited yet (if you're using DD)? No change on my side. Perhaps that's what they're waiting on before they get the ball rolling. SNL was pay-in-advance, wasn't it? Only a year and a bit and I've forgotten already :rolleyes:

--

As an update, it's now just a constant engaged tone when I dial the number, instead of the three-tone no-comprendo noise.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭ChessHacker

I called Esat again today. It's a 1-800 number, so they pay for it.

The Esat employee said that they were a victim of their own success and that he couldn't guarantee that my account would be registered until the end of the week.

I suspect Esat rolled this out in a panic to combat the UTVip offer.

Like many others, I don't want to use a carrier pre-select system.

Originally posted by ChessHacker
    Like many others, I don't want to use a carrier pre-select system.

Pardon my 'innocence', but what difference does it make?

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭ChessHacker

Originally posted by dun_do_bheal
    Pardon my 'innocence', but what difference does it make?

Firstly, you need permission from the bill payer of the eircom charges and secondly, there are two companies to negotiate with in the event of a fault.

I am aware that calls may be cheaper using a CPS offering, but if the bulk of you phone bill is internet use, then the saving to hassle ratio is small.

Just, horses for courses.

• Advertisement

Is that not only concerned with switching services? I mean when I was signed to SNL it went through the Esat network and showed up on my bill from Esat.. Voice calls were still coming in the Eircom Bill. I'm presuming it's the same thing, seeing that the Netsmart Dialler is giving a number that is one digit 'up' from the SNL number..

Advertisement