Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Signature Rules (Rev. 26-Feb-09)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Shabadu

So tell me, since you've started studying law have you come across any case where a man used the fact that loads of other people were breaking loads of other laws as his primary defence in a drink-driving case?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

Isabelle wrote:
    Still I think some of the mods should pay more attention to the forums where most people are cursing around like mad leprechauns and the mods created the rule that yer content, in one way or another, should not link to any perverse stuff.

You have a bit of a confusion about how the place works. If you object to something, then by all means point that out in the Feedback forum or whereever. It doesn't have anything to do with your signature, and I have very little to do with day to day moderation of the site unless a user complains or a moderator looks for help with something.

Moderators can't edit your signature, only admins can do that. I edited your signature because someone complained and when I went to view it it didn't comply with our size guidelines.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

ecksor wrote:
    You have a bit of a confusion about how the place works. If you object to something, then by all means point that out in the Feedback forum or whereever. It doesn't have anything to do with your signature, and I have very little to do with day to day moderation of the site unless a user complains or a moderator looks for help with something.

Moderators can't edit your signature, only admins can do that. I edited your signature because someone complained and when I went to view it it didn't comply with our size guidelines.

Alright, but if ye tell me about confusion: Why do ye quote just parts of what I said and not the whole bit, because then ye'd understand the coherence.

As ye you can see most people complain about the sig limits. Okay, I understand the size limits, but most people hardly read the signature rules until there sig will be deleted :cool:

TIP:Wouldn't it be a good idea to state the signature rules in the forum charters, because more people read them and the signature rules are a good starter in any forum! It wouldn't lead to so much trouble then ;) and perhaps people would stop nagging around about other people's sigs like in the kindergarten :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

Since the sigs are a boards wide issue they are mentioned within the Newbie section....it would be a waste of time to include them in every forum you might visit....

people are very finicky over sigs as they increase loading times for us poor unfortunates on 56k dial up....i think mine just about falls under the guidelines....and i'm sure mine annoys a few people too

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

Your sig brightens up my day RuggieBear, I won't have a bad word said against it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

Amz wrote:
    Your sig brightens up my day RuggieBear, I won't have a bad word said against it!

Aww thanks...you've just earned yourself a hug next chance i get....

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

:D

Isabelle wrote:
    Alright, but if ye tell me about confusion: Why do ye quote just parts of what I said and not the whole bit, because then ye'd understand the coherence.

Because I was quoting the bit that was directly relevant to your misunderstanding. Everything else you said may have seemed coherent to you, but if you understand my contradiction to the bit I quoted, then the rest of it doesn't logically follow on (since mod double standards don't apply to signatures since they don't control signatures ... ) so I didn't comment upon it. But hey, I'm going to comment on all of the post this time!
    As ye you can see most people complain about the sig limits. Okay, I understand the size limits, but most people hardly read the signature rules until there sig will be deleted :cool:

A few people complaining about signature limits does not make for "most people". The signature rules are there to make sure that signatures don't ruin people's ability to read the boards. They should stop (well, minimise it anyway) boards.ie becoming some hideous collection of poorly thought out "look at me" displays that aren't interesting and don't contribute anything and (quite a lot of the point) increase people's loading times.
    TIP:Wouldn't it be a good idea to state the signature rules in the forum charters, because more people read them and the signature rules are a good starter in any forum! It wouldn't lead to so much trouble then ;) and perhaps people would stop nagging around about other people's sigs like in the kindergarten :eek:

Well, I'm not an old man, but I remember when it was accepted as good netiquette that people had interesting signatures that fit into 4 lines of text and didn't need images or other bloat to put in there. I don't get why this sort of consideration has to be made explicit now. I mean, if you have no interest whatsoever in my signature, all I've done is add 238 bytes to your download. I have no interest in your signature and it adds 26182 bytes to my download. I'm standing proudly on the moral highground here! (only joking).

And that leads to the final point. Thank you for reducing the size of the signature, but apart from the dimensions there is also an upper limit (20k) on the filesize of images and yours exceeds that. I'm not going to cut it, but it would be nice you would reduce it. I happen to think that Cloud is too lenient in setting the guidelines, but then I'm lenient in enforcing them!

Lastly, I'm disagreeing with you a lot, but please don't read that as not welcoming the questions asked because that is what this forum is for. I'm hard to convince, but I do listen! Honest!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭Linoge

Can I ask what was wrong with my sig? It was perfectly acceptable for 2 months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

what size was it? was it animated? I cant say I've seen it.

• Advertisement

Sorry.

Wasn't animated. No bigger than any other sigs, prob exactly the same size as the one I have now. It was a picture of Shane McGowan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

Watch the height of it. 125 pixels tall is the set limit. yours is higher than that.

Thanks for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

logo.gif

Didnt think that was too big, however, its seems to be. Anyone know how to make it smaller, as Im quite fond of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

Got a PM from someone warning me about my sig...
    Mods, is it ok?

Ecksor: First of all, thank you very much indeed for taking your precious time!
    ecksor wrote:
    Well, I'm not an old man, but I remember when it was accepted as good netiquette that people had interesting signatures that fit into 4 lines of text and didn't need images or other bloat to put in there. I don't get why this sort of consideration has to be made explicit now.QUOTE]

The sig thing is a kind of ‘creative workshop’ for people. They can try to express themselves. Taste is, of course, different. However, please don’t take this away from people only because your own homepage is filled with sheer tristesse and all shades of grey!

I understand that there should be guidelines and that most people in Eire have a 56 k modem (if not at a Uni or work in a branch where to use the internet quite often) that will lead to long loading times.I’ve changed my sig, even though there is a lack of quality now.

Be careful and check out who else functions as polyethylenglycol:

“However, democratic systems and popular elections can lead to a loss of focus in such endeavors and I much prefer the 'benevolent dictatorship' model of boards.ie which I used to help to run and until it took up too much of my spare time.” http://heap.nologin.net/me.html - Admin Ecksor

Finally, why do I always belong to an invocation of Conollys?

LEX MIHI ARS

I suspect that you didn't actually fully understand the part of my website that you quoted judging by the rest of your reply.

At least I understand your boring, pedantic style and your strange humour!
    Alright, there is no reality just perception!
    Aaaw, ye should be proud as a leader of the board police!
    Besides, Thor tell Teutates about politeness and 'good' loyality.

When you or someone else sees a sig that is not adequate enough why don't you email/PM him/her and ask: "Hey, would you be so kind to change your sig, because it is not conform to our sig guidelines, see..."Just a matter of copy and paste. You could include that you are going to delete it when they do not change it adn you could offer help. It is more polite! If you do not have time for this, ask your friends & fans of the sig police. It could be a real challenge for them. Oh, trust me, Mr Ó Conghaile!

Good night!
    Belle

• Registered Users Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Shabadu

0_o ?

Isabelle wrote:
    At least I understand your boring, pedantic style and your strange humour!

Apparently you don't.
    Aaaw, ye should be proud as a leader of the board police!

Yes, this is the crux of your misunderstanding. Go reread the bit you quoted and pay particular attention to the tense of the words as you consult your dictionary.

Do you have any idea what it's like to work hard providing a free service for people so that stupid idiots like you can complain at length that it's not free enough? I suggest that if you prefer a different model of management that you either set up your own facility or go look for something else you prefer.
    When you or someone else sees a sig that is not adequate enough why don't you email/PM him/her and ask: "Hey, would you be so kind to change your sig, because it is not conform to our sig guidelines, see..."Just a matter of copy and paste. You could include that you are going to delete it when they do not change it adn you could offer help. It is more polite! If you do not have time for this, ask your friends & fans of the sig police. It could be a real challenge for them. Oh, trust me, Mr Ó Conghaile!

Why don't you get a clue rather than expecting people to hold your hand for you?

• Advertisement

Do you have any idea what it's like to work hard providing a free service for people so that stupid idiots like you can complain at length that it's not free enough? I suggest that if you prefer a different model of management that you either set up your own facility or go look for something else you prefer.

Sincerely, I understand that it is hard work, because a friend of mine offers such a service as well.
    And I know a gamepage where all my friends and other people ‘donate’ for it to keep it going. I know more forums where the admins/mods are more friendly. They can state the rules and present the limits without being too subjective and too rude. It is ‘your service’ alright, but admins/mods should be in general a good rolemodel of their own rules.

So thank you very much for insulting me, because I have another opinion than you. And no I will not apologise for hitting your ego to hard ! Could you not come up with some more intellectual words that suit you better? However, thank you very much indeed for portraying the ambivalence of netiquette at boards.ie!

Furthermore, the freedom of speech should not be taken for granted. Limits and rules are there to protect the rights/freedom of others. But there is, of course, a fine line between objectivity & subjectivity; democracy & despotic power. It is good that you present/convert the rules, but the HOW matters!

Isabelle => “You should be proud as the leader of the board police.” This was not about what I found on your webpage, but what I read in the forum feedback – sig police. You complemented ‘your helpers/your servants’ for their good work of sqealing.
    Why don't you get a clue rather than expecting people to hold your hand for you?

I don’t need a hand! I post in other forums where all people have broadband and the limit of our sigs is 60k. The loading time is alright. I was used to this and I did not ‘break the rules’ with intention on boards. However, I understand that it is different here, because most people have a 56 k modem, therefore I changed my sig.

But when I browsed the forums there are some people which do not know how to change their sigs or what was wrong with their sigs. Perhaps they would need help, rather than an attack of you and your SIGPO.
    I commiserate with the SIGPO (= signature police). I would like to help those people to get a decent hobby.

To offer help, being kind and polite is obviously more difficult than being meticulous, imperious and snitch around to satisfy the ego!

Isabelle => “You should be proud as the leader of the board police.” This was not about what I found on your webpage, but what I read in the forum feedback – sig police. You complemented ‘your helpers/your servants’ for their good work of sqealing.

You still misunderstand.
    To offer help, being kind and polite is obviously more difficult than being meticulous, imperious and snitch around to satisfy the ego!

It isn't about difficulty and it isn't about ego. Can you please explain why you were worth wasting any time upon? I spent some time in my earlier post trying to explain politely and reasonably to you why things are the way they are and the spew we see in return shows I was wrong to be so considerate.

Why should I be nice to you? I would rather that people like you didn't use boards.ie
    I'm genuinely interested by the way, the extent of my involvement in boards is a rather open question right now and the question of dealing with this sort of **** is very much central to answering that question.

ecksor wrote:
    You still misunderstand.

You don’t understand! You are telling me about netiquette and then you insult people isn’t that paradox (re-read my last post)?
    It isn't about difficulty and it isn't about ego. Can you please explain why you were worth wasting any time upon?

Re-read my last post: You should not waste your time for me, but perhaps for others who need your help or that of the SIGPO. I do not need your help, but perhaps others who do not know how to change their sigs to a proper size. I gave the tip that the SIGPO (when you have not enough time and your future here seems to be open) can help those people instead of attacking them. Besides when you have nothing to do with that why do you complement people who snitch (see: SIGPO forum) ?

I spent some time in my earlier post trying to explain politely and reasonably to you why things are the way they are and the spew we see in return shows I was wrong to be so considerate.

It is not spew - it is stating a different opinion. An opinion that differs from yours. Because I state my opinion and you do not like my opinion (lucidly, I explained you my reasons) The first steps of democracy include having different opinions and state them. If you disagree discuss it in a polite way, but do not go to insult people or just say ‘go away’ => this is too easy, too weak and has nothing to do with democracy! You are an intelligent person you should know that!

See I thank you very much that you told me what the work of the mods and the admins is. At first I disagreed but now I understand. I also changed my sig, so that others won't have such long loading times. Still I disagree with you on some major points, but I do not need to insult you then!

The thing is you cannot get a lot of stick/criticism).
    Furthermore, when you were so politely and reasonably why have you changed it then?
    Why should I be nice to you? I would rather that people like you didn't use boards.ie

It is not so much about me, rather tha you being a role model for others.

And indeed, it is always easier to flee from problems rather than solve them.
    Please buy a book and read about the freedom of speech, but if it makes you glad/satisfies you – ban me/delete my account first!

However, just because a service is free does not mean that the 'ruler and some servant' have despotic power and can insult people, which is by the way, not conform with the rules of the free service (see: charter).

Okay, baby, thank you for what you have done for boards.ie,calm down and relax a bit! I wish you the best for your future!
    Now I will not waiste my time with you any more, because there are more important issues going on, Mr Connolly! ;)

The first steps of democracy

Boards.ie is not a democracy.
    Furthermore, the freedom of speech should not be taken for granted.

You do not have freedom of speech here, but I'm glad that you don't think it should be taken it for granted :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭dogs

Isabelle wrote:
    just because a service is free does not mean that the 'ruler and some servant' have despotic power and can insult people, which is by the way, not conform with the rules of the free service

Yes it does.
    Yes it does.
    Yes it does.

Boards.ie would be an expensive venture for anyone to run; besides the actual physical costs of hardware, hosting and bandwidth the traffic this site collects requires the skills and time of some quite talented* people.

*w.r.t. you.

If you're not happy you don't need to return here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Isabelle Stop sending me private messages about this ****e, I don't know you. If you don't stop I'll have your dog shot with a cancer gun.

Ecksor + Dogs + Boston:

In general: God, men with a huge ego are so easy when teasing & torturing them!
    They are easily pleased. I can tell, it’s sheer fun :p

Boston: 1. I don’t have a dog. 2. You don’t know me ….and?

Aaaw, too bad Dogs that ye had to interfere. See this was between despotic Dermot of Leinster and me. But now you have to play the Fitzempress tstsstsssss, therefore I had to do something about it (among other things inviting Boston for the Boston Tea Party)

The last post of Ecksor was so Majestically Magnificent! It can stand on its own. Sincerely, I loved it. I even wanted to make a poster of it and I wanted to put it up in my house. Trust me!

Alas to bad that you interfered. Now I have to give you & Jerry Baby a FINAL, healthy and serious meant comment about this:

GO AND HAVE SOME (MORE) SEX – YOU WOULD BE MORE RELAXED AND NOT SO MOODY ALL THE TIME ! :eek:

Sorry that a woman has to tell ye

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Isabelle wrote:
    When you or someone else sees a sig that is not adequate enough why don't you email/PM him/her and ask: "Hey, would you be so kind to change your sig, because it is not conform to our sig guidelines...........

Its simple really
    - Newbie's should read the rules

- you did not read the rules so now you want to bitch about them

- Stop bitching and just do what a admin tells you, admins can't waste their time PM'ing people about sigs just to please you

I for one welcome our new admin overlords! :D

Cabaal: It's not really so much about the admin/s rather than about the SIGPO. I mean they have time to snitch and backstab. I gave the tip that they could get a decent hobby, for example: helping other people that have sig problems. A tip could make a difference, because it is all a kind of a process and development. You always feel so attacked when somebody gives ye a tip.(Peoples that had been exploited for about 800 years should know better about freedom and the freedom of speech)

It's not so much about me, but I mean in general boards.ie should perhaps change some things every now and then to try a new Democratic style.
    It is also the tone of people => normal posters/mods/admins.The whole thing is really paradox and rude at times.

Please I understand that this free service/admins and mods work is hard. Some friends of mine have a similar service! I 'donate' them.
    So Ecks - I very much enjoyed your work though. It was a pleasure every now and then. Too bad I have to ask 'another' admin to delete my account!

Enjoy!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

I received this in my inbox this morning:
    Isabelle wrote:
    Please, check out boards.ie - forum utilities - signature rules (latest posts...democracy...)

and

system - feedback signature police (all and especially the last...thingies including the Nazi stuff)

Thanks

Isabelle
    this is a grown up site for grown up people
    if you are too lazy to read the rules before posting that's your problem.
    Do you have any idea how much work is involved in running a site this large, obviously not if you think that an Admin should hold the hand of every newbie. These people have lives and having to deal with sh!te like yours on top of everything else must be more than a tad frustrating.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement