Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Signature Rules (Rev. 26-Feb-09)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I think they're just generally more annoying when they're high - image or not. I mean, look at mine, it's 7/8 lines high, it must be pretty annoying....I'm going to change it tomorrow....:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Lex_Diamonds

300x200 and be done with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

Let's just go back to Usenet netiquette circa 1996 - anyone caught using a sig which is more than 4x80 lines of ASCII text gets taken outside and a stern beating is administered.

(Most Usenet sigs of the era were still significantly more imaginative and entertaining than the wonderful "reproduction of an image off the somethingawful forums" approach that most of the posters whinging about having their godawful sigs removed favour...)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Belisarius

Im honestly amazed more people arent compaining about this..as its cripled an amazing amount of sigs from good well meaning members of boards.ie, which were in know way obnoxious or contrary to the spirit in which the first set of rules, Which is a shame. I understand concerns *however petty in my opinion* of people wanting to limit some of the more garish MS Paint jobs flying around the place ,but while theese have been clipped, Its a case of extreme overkill . Alot of this could be avoided by simply upping the height restriction to a still very respectable 90 or 100. All the problem sigs would proabably still be out, but wouldnt cause so much hassle to people in general, And before one of the mods comes to flame me and play the worlds smallest violin it IS a hassle,for an awful lot of people who only had the best intentions , and who are quite frankly annoyed , as is obvious from #fortress.ie at this very moment ,as opposed to the rather improportional back slapping which is going on here :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭El Marco

~|15:44|~ (ElMarco): tbh I would bitch, but you just know there'd be some old skool elitist **** ready to make your post worth nothing

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

Nice one ElMarco, now nobody even has to bother making your post worth nothinc cos it's already worth nothing... Pre-devalued posting, the newbs learn quickly these days!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭strat

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Gaz

YOU GRASS !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭strat

Originally posted by Darth Homer
    YOU GRASS !!!

well tbh i agree with this new policy - i think the restrictions are vaild and this sould make the boards much easier to read

ohh and that particular sig was nothing special, glad to see it go

• Registered Users Posts: 5,049 ✭✭✭Cloud

Very impressive the way Corega / Celt / ElMarco's sig is exactly 15000 bytes - the last time I looked it was around 5k - how did you manage that then? But of course, 15k is actually 15360 bytes isn't it? :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Celt

Originally posted by StrataGIST

well tbh i agree with this new policy - i think the restrictions are vaild and this sould make the boards much easier to read

ohh and that particular sig was nothing special, glad to see it go
    Then turn off sig's completely, it isnt that hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Lex_Diamonds

vlimit.jpg

Im starting a support/pressure group called "320x150", anyone who wants to join or simply pour their heart out to me about how deeply unfair this new policy is feel free to pm me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Celt

Originally posted by Cloud
    Very impressive the way Corega / Celt / ElMarco's sig is exactly 15000 bytes - the last time I looked it was around 5k - how did you manage that then? But of course, 15k is actually 15360 bytes isn't it? :)
    Last I looked Corega's was 5191bytes.

Oh and duly noted :)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lucifer

Originally posted by Belisarius
    Im honestly amazed more people arent compaining about this.

typical, people complain about a service that is given to us free of charge! People find big sigs annoying, as it makes it hard to read the actual post if its a little line burried in a bunch of pictures.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭phaxx

Ah stop bitching and moaning, all of you, down with image sigs. (except yellum's old one, you big meanie cloud)

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Corega

*sigh*, once again my brilliant genious has been purged, anyone can feel free to use the sig that I came up with, providing you put in brackets and in reasonably big writing that it was in fact created by me :D

Here's an idea, everybody that wants a new sig has to forward it to a new thread or forum ( bag's being moderator :p ), the sig will then be analysed and on proper approval it may be used, providing it passes certain regulations. Crap idea, good idea?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Belisarius

I said it to cloud on IRC this morning , Its a good idea ,but 60pixel height is a excessively prohibitive , All im asking for is an extra 15-30 pixels on the height ,all and all most people wouldnt notice it *that* much ,while still allowing most of the more verbose sigs to be taken down , all and all i feel a 90x300 would be more universally acceptable , the 60x300's look cramped , fair enough if done well they are fine ,but tbh The average board user isnt as techy as most of the people who have posted this thread . Id imagine itll cause more eyesores than its taking away ,all for the sake of a bout a milimetre or two on the average 1024x768 screen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭El Marco

I like Corega's of a sig regulator, instead of such restrictions.

But this is just one step in restricting the boards to the extent of most 'old skool' games now adays, like tfc and t1. With stringent rules that have no exceptions. This is only happening because of clouds neo facist regime and his little band of mods be slightly displeased with something so small, yet defying the majority of boards users because their noobie opinions don't matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭lordsippa

I miss my Pokey... <sniff>

<goes off to find a teddy bear to steal and hug>

Um... I don't wanna fight an all, but couldn't we have a poll to set the size restrictions on the sigs? I mean, mine fit on the screen grand and the only complaints I ever got were as regards "not making sense". So just thought I'd get my word in.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Originally posted by El Marco
    I like Corega's of a sig regulator, instead of such restrictions.

But this is just one step in restricting the boards to the extent of most 'old skool' games now adays, like tfc and t1. With stringent rules that have no exceptions. This is only happening because of clouds neo facist regime and his little band of mods be slightly displeased with something so small, yet defying the majority of boards users because their noobie opinions don't matter.

Nice theory, how do you explain that my sig was smacked down too?

I'll talk to cloud and we'll review the sig height options, wanging on about sig-fascism is just silly though.
    Change the rules or dont enforce them, but anything else is just Oirish....

DeV.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

i got my sig approved ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭hacktavist

I didnt think there was anything wrong with:
    logo2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Well...ive got my new signature and i hope it stays:

Winters.gif

come on .. let me keep it ... its only 15K

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

Rules are there to be broken :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Originally posted by hacktavist
    I didnt think there was anything wrong with:
    logo2.jpg

Yeah what's wrong with that one?
    It's actually one of the sigs I liked, mainly for the cool writing.

Just noticed it exceeds the max height.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Humm....come on.... you cant get a decent signature less then 90pix in height.....

Damn you and you removing my signature......took me ages to do :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,049 ✭✭✭Cloud

The high council has deliberated, and the new regulations are as follows...
    • 300 pixels wide (formerly 360)
    • 125 pixels high (formerly 60)
    • 20k file size (formerly 15k)

There are also limitations on the number of text lines you can have in a sig. You can view full details at the top of the "Signature Rules" thread on the Newbie FAQ board or else at http://www.boards.ie/sigrules/

In case you're wondering, these rules are already being used by vbulletin.com and vbulletin.org:

http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=40115
    http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=42918

Enjoy,

John / Cloud.
    --
    [php]
    if ( ($signatureimagesize[0] > 300) || ($signatureimagesize[1] > 125) ) {
    $image = "http://www.boards.ie/imagesig/imagesig.gif";
    }
    [/php]

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Kix

I vote for: more creativity and less cribbing!

There's no reason that you can't make a decent sig in the allowed size. Winters - yours for example - scale down the photo, lose the indeterminable blob to the RHS and move the unit flash over there - problem solved.

I dunno. I think Cloud that you should reduce the size evem more. That would be funny. :)

K

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement