Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pub Guide

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

glasso wrote: »
    with no redeeming features.
    €4.50 a pint on Wednesdays = redeeming feature.

Personally I think The Hill is much better with a bit of light in it. I remember it in the '90s as dark, smoky and unfriendly.

BeerNut wrote: »
    €4.50 a pint on Wednesdays = redeeming feature.

Personally I think The Hill is much better with a bit of light in it. I remember it in the '90s as dark, smoky and unfriendly.

light could have been introduced without completely altering the character of the place.
    the last time I was there they had ran out of Guinness and the only options were random craft beers - I ordered one and it turned out to be over 7 euro.

They have the prices chalked in front of the taps. More pubs could do with having that sort of transparent pricing.

They have the prices chalked in front of the taps. More pubs could do with having that sort of transparent pricing.

pretty sure there weren't prices marked when I was there.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭DelmarODonnell

glasso wrote: »
    pretty sure there weren't prices marked when I was there.

Yeah €4.50 any pints, any % is pretty brilliant. The prices are always very clearly marked for what you are ordering. The food is excellent too. Loyalty cards in place too.........

If you are in again, try a pint of O'Haras Leann Follain instead of Guinness.

I was only in it the once before it was taken over, friendly pub, really liked the design of the pub. Good traditional boozer. But to be honest, other than the massive lick of paint and the kitchen put in, I don't think it lost much of its original design. The bar is still beautiful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I was upstairs in whelans on wexford street a few weeks ago. I saw an unusual looking guinness tap there. I ask for a pint tapping on this unusual tap and the barman says "oh you want the nitro guinness" I looked at him confused and then at the tap, and he was making out like it was somehow different from regular guinness. He went to pull a pint and it was empty and he says "do you just want the regular guinness instead of the nitro one".

As it was busy I just said yeah grand. A lad beside me was equally confused saying to me "but normal guinness is nitro" and I nodded.

So I wonder if this "special" tap was a non-nitro guinness or somehow different.

rubadub wrote: »
    I saw an unusual looking guinness tap
    Unusual how?

Unusual how?

I had had a few by this stage! but the signage display on it was quite large, maybe 3 or 4 inch diameter, think it was perfectly circular and had white writing on it, or there was a fair bit of white. The tap was at the end of the bar and I think it really stood out on its own. It possible had "dublin" in the writing, I see a dublin porter bottle but I think I would have remembered if it said porter. While the guinness he ended up pouring from was a bog standard tap in amongst a line of others.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

I had had a few by this stage! but the signage display on it was quite large, maybe 3 or 4 inch diameter, think it was perfectly circular and had white writing on it, or there was a fair bit of white. The tap was at the end of the bar and I think it really stood out on its own. It possible had "dublin" in the writing, I see a dublin porter bottle but I think I would have remembered if it said porter. While the guinness he ended up pouring from was a bog standard tap in amongst a line of others.

This it?

IMG_20151118_121431320_HDR.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭matrim

I was upstairs in whelans on wexford street a few weeks ago. I saw an unusual looking guinness tap there. I ask for a pint tapping on this unusual tap and the barman says "oh you want the nitro guinness" I looked at him confused and then at the tap, and he was making out like it was somehow different from regular guinness. He went to pull a pint and it was empty and he says "do you just want the regular guinness instead of the nitro one".

As it was busy I just said yeah grand. A lad beside me was equally confused saying to me "but normal guinness is nitro" and I nodded.

So I wonder if this "special" tap was a non-nitro guinness or somehow different.

It was probably the nitro IPA

• Advertisement

irish_goat wrote: »
    This it?

I think that was it! not 100% though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Dublin Porter on draught?

The Nitro IPA is in a few places now. Friend of mine had a pint the other day.

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Buckfast W

Dublin Porter on draught?

The Nitro IPA is in a few places now. Friend of mine had a pint the other day.

Had a pint myself a few weeks back, wasn't too impressed :P

Buckfast W wrote: »
    Had a pint myself a few weeks back, wasn't too impressed :P

Yeah, had it at the Guniness Open Gate at it wasn't up to much. Bit like their Rye Ale. Better than HH13 etc if you're stuck but a bit meh.

Wish they'd put out Foreign Extra Stout or West Indies Porter on tap instead of weaker offerings like Nitro IPA or Dublin Porter.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

The West Indies Porter on tap could be amazing. It's a lovely bottle.

Wish they'd put out Foreign Extra Stout or West Indies Porter on tap instead of weaker offerings like Nitro IPA or Dublin Porter.
    Antwerpen Stout was on draught for a while, though I don't know if it made it to the rotation taps outside the Open Gate. Draught Dublin Porter has been discontinued so there's an opening :D

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Buckfast W

Yeah, had it at the Guniness Open Gate at it wasn't up to much. Bit like their Rye Ale. Better than HH13 etc if you're stuck but a bit meh.

Its probably just me but I find the new styles of beer that Guinness are releasing to be very hoppy (like hop house 13) which I know the clue is in the name but I find it very over powering.

I tried another one in Galway just before Christmas in Foxes Forester Street it was a Guinness limited edition one, can't think of the name of it though, again ok but meh........

Antwerpen Stout was on draught for a while, though I don't know if it made it to the rotation taps outside the Open Gate.

Had that at the Open Gate too and really liked it. Typical the one they release (Nitro) was the worst of the lot that night! Must go again soon.

Slattsy wrote: »
    The West Indies Porter on tap could be amazing. It's a lovely bottle.
    I found West Indies on draught (straight CO2) in Paddy Cullen's Ballsbridge last night. It is indeed lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭matrim

I found West Indies on draught (straight CO2) in Paddy Cullen's Ballsbridge last night. It is indeed lovely.

I saw it in the Living Room last week but didn't get a chance to try it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,772 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I've never known straight CO2 to be used in Ireland.
    Is it not 50:50 for Lager and ales and 75%Nitrogen : 25%CO2 for most stouts?

I've never known straight CO2 to be used in Ireland.
    Is it not 50:50 for Lager and ales and 75%Nitrogen : 25%CO2 for most stouts?
    Yeah probably something like that. It's fizzy not creamy is all I mean.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Mulligans(poolbeg) usually has all the Guinness stuff on tap. Mid-strength, Nitro IPA, Porter and West Indies.

Yeah probably something like that. It's fizzy not creamy is all I mean.

Ah, I wondered if someone was actually using pure CO2 like on the continent.
    I reckon it's why generic lager seems to always taste better abroad (apart from the general everything tastes better on holiday).

Talking to the guys in Open Gate last night, draught West Indies is a limited run. It'll be swapped for something else on rotation before long.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Ah, I wondered if someone was actually using pure CO2 like on the continent.
    I reckon it's why generic lager seems to always taste better abroad (apart from the general everything tastes better on holiday).

Not sure if pure CO2 is ever used. I think 75/25 is the highest ratio that's ever used for beer. More CO2 would only really make the beer fizzier anyway, which I don't think is the case for generic lager abroad.

irish_goat wrote: »
    Not sure if pure CO2 is ever used. I think 75/25 is the highest ratio that's ever used for beer. More CO2 would only really make the beer fizzier anyway, which I don't think is the case for generic lager abroad.

Doh, I met the guy that could had definitively answered that today and didn't think to ask him.

Basically, I'm not sure either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Pub's use suremix 25 which is 75/25% and will do a Guinness and any larger with the same gas tank.

Homebrew heads would use straight C02

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

RasTa wrote: »
    Homebrew heads would use straight C02

Because they looking to carbonate and dispense usually with just one system. Were as pubs are just looking to dispense, with out picking up CO2 in the delivery

Advertisement