Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pub Guide

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭my friend

Zaph wrote: »
    Was in the Bull & Castle for the first time in a good while the other night. Wtf have they done with the place? Full of kids, crap chart pop music, pitchers of cocktails and a beer menu that's only a fraction of what it used to be. I can't see myself returning any time soon, which is a shame because I always liked it.

guess your first time in a good while doesn't pay their bills? They have to do what does

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Does The Port House in Dundrum do any craft?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

The Tapas place? I would imagine it's all wine and maybe some cocktails.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

BaZmO* wrote: »
    The Tapas place? I would imagine it's all wine and maybe some cocktails.

I seen someone say they have Porterhouse bottles, I'll find out anyhow

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I seen someone say they have Porterhouse bottles, I'll find out anyhow

I've been there a couple of times but only ever had wine.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2 kevmcnamara

Briody's on Marlborough St is my favourite in the city. No fuss but no nonsense either. Just a small comfortable space for drinking great Guinness as well the usual options. Mind you, they do have Hophouse 13 and Clonmel 1650 on tap. Although those are probably becoming more widespread options. At least you can get them for a fiver in Briody's, which is more reasonable than most other places. And they also have Tuborg on tap for €3.90 a pint, which is a great economy option.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

BaZmO* wrote: »
    I've been there a couple of times but only ever had wine.
    They had a licensing issue a couple of years back which meant they had to stop selling beer. Dunno if that's still the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Was in there the other day and asked what beer they had and it was draught Estrella.

Nice place though.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Cast Iron

The Cross seems to have the only reasonable level of craft beer offering in Drogheda. Particular bonus points for the presence of Founders and Beavertown beers. However it has bugged me for a while now that they harp on about local produce for their food offering however not a Jack Codys or Bru beer in sight. It's a shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,748 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Thread has been dead for a while, but I thought that the pint of Guinness I had in Mulligan's of Poolbeg St the other evening was worth mentioning. Quite possibly the best pint I have had in years. It even pips The Balrothery Inn just outside Balbriggan & that's saying something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Thread has been dead for a while, but I thought that the pint of Guinness I had in Mulligan's of Poolbeg St the other evening was worth mentioning. Quite possibly the best pint I have had in years. It even pips The Balrothery Inn just outside Balbriggan & that's saying something.

Cant comment on Co Dublin pubs!! But yeah Mulligans has always been unbelievably consistent. Been one of the best in Dublin for as long as i've been drinking.

If you're there again, pop over to Bowes on Fleet St, consistently a smashing pint also.

FWIW..... The Auld Dubliner - best pint in Dublin right now, and i dont care how much it costs, its quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Buckfast W

I think that the pints in Bowes are better than Mulligans on Poolbeg street ekkk

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Buckfast W wrote: »
    I think that the pints in Bowes are better than Mulligans on Poolbeg street ekkk

A smashing pint.

Slattsy wrote: »
    A smashing pint.

My mouth is watering just thinking about it :pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭thegeezer

Get yourselves to the three tuns (weatherspoons) in Blackrock. Milestone Boston bitter at 2.75 per pint. Ace beer garden, what's not to like ?
    Btw, looking forward to this weekend's craft beer fest at rds - some tickets still left 15 euro inc free glass. Great live music, food stalls, cider, spirits, great craic last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

The Whitworth Pub (formerly Porterhouse North)

Couldn't recommend this place to anyone unfortunately. Major teething problems. Saw people walk out over delays with food. Otherwise its basically the exact same pub with a slightly upgraded food menus and cages around the lights :rolleyes:

There so much competition in the area I dont see this place lasting long at all.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Has it been open long? (very English sounding name too)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Trond wrote: »
    The Whitworth Pub (formerly Porterhouse North)

Couldn't recommend this place to anyone unfortunately. Major teething problems. Saw people walk out over delays with food. Otherwise its basically the exact same pub with a slightly upgraded food menus and cages around the lights :rolleyes:

There so much competition in the area I dont see this place lasting long at all.

That's being opened awhile and was very busy when I was there. Although it was the night of the beyonce gig. It's more aimed at the cocktail crowd.

It seemed to be printing money

Place was grand when it was the Porter house, still the same owner as far as I know, does it still have the late licence??

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Gmaximum

The Swan on Aungier st is great for Guinness. They're also doing quite a few craft beers and have different casks on rotation

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,943 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Presumably that isn't the old Swan Bar beside the flats, it was up for sale recently without a licence.

Life ain't always empty.

Presumably that isn't the old Swan Bar beside the flats, it was up for sale recently without a licence.
    It wasn't. The Aungier House is for sale and some gobdaw at the Irish Times thought that was The Swan. The article has since been corrected.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭offalyred

Brickyard has opened in Dundrum, where The Rockfield lounge used to be. Gastropub, I was there on Friday night. Really buzzing. 18 taps mostly Irish craft beer with a couple of top German lagers. A Lagunitas IPA and a Brewdog too. Quite a change in style from the previous establishment. Not doing the full food menu when I was there but told it will be coming shortly (though the snacks were lovely). Right beside the Balally Luas stop, so really handy if you are near that line.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,943 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

BeerNut wrote: »
    It wasn't. The Aungier House is for sale and some gobdaw at the Irish Times thought that was The Swan. The article has since been corrected.

That was called the Swan in the 80s though.

Life ain't always empty.

That was called the Swan in the 80s though.
    What was The Swan called?

That's the one as Bearnut said the Times made a mistake in the commercial property section

offalyred wrote:
    Brickyard has opened in Dundrum, where The Rockfield lounge used to be. Gastropub, I was there on Friday night. Really buzzing. 18 taps mostly Irish craft beer with a couple of top German lagers. A Lagunitas IPA and a Brewdog too. Quite a change in style from the previous establishment. Not doing the full food menu when I was there but told it will be coming shortly (though the snacks were lovely). Right beside the Balally Luas stop, so really handy if you are near that line.

Good news Dundrum really needs a good pub. Shame it's not closer to the village

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

The Guinness in the balrothery is certainly up there,but in the same neck of the woods The Milestone bar has consistently great Guinness.I cant comment on the lounge though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

Where would I find nice spots in Dublin City that sell Corona/Sol that isn't dearer than a pint of a Guinness? Was charged 5.50 for one in Workmans on the quays! :eek:

• Advertisement

The hill pub, Ranelagh
    carmo13 wrote: »
    I see the Hill got a v. good review in the Irish Indo Barfly column.
    Was there last thurs night for the trad session and would have to agree with
    the 4 star rating. great pint too!

just posting this 'cos this used to be a great authentic pub. It was "done up" in the last while and completely ruined. It's now modernised into some nothingness abomination, with no redeeming features. was just thinking that some of the authentic pubs should actually be protected so this can't happen.

Advertisement