Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is CTYI? *new*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭Pyschopath666

I agree Zounds, a blog is a persons diary and using wat Piste said in her blog against her (though you failed patheticly) is in my view as bad as breaking into her house and stealing her diary and then sending copies to everyone....

But thats just my opinion and I respect that people may differ with me on this

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

That should teach him, zounds, if he can be bothered to read the reply:
    Dust wrote:
    the inevitable histrionics

Well said.

*claps*

• Registered Users Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭Matthewthebig

I agree Zounds, a blog is a persons diary and using wat Piste said in her blog against her (though you failed patheticly) is in my view as bad as breaking into her house and stealing her diary and then sending copies to everyone....

But thats just my opinion and I respect that people may differ with me on this
    I have to disagree a blog and a diary are very different. A blog is up there for all to see. A diary isn't

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭Pyschopath666

it was more the fact that he went to find it then trolled through it just to find something to use against her... i find that out of line

I have to disagree a blog and a diary are very different. A blog is up there for all to see. A diary isn't

yep, you have a point there. Still, whatever it was, it was used against her, and that's just sneaky and unfair.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Yeah, that's low.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Undergod

That was nice John. Very, very nice. Keep it up.
    You see i enjoyed CTYI but it didn't approach the utopia that many of the posters claim it to be. (generalisation alert) It is a camp for kids who think they are more intelligent than they are, with middle/upper class parents whose upwardly mobile aspirations and love for their socially retarded offspring results in them spending HUGE amounts of money so their precious child can mix with similar children and feel superior, unique and maybe for the first time get a girl/boy friend.

Dust, that was unnecessary. And, if in some individual cases, your description is in fact accurate, is it such a bad thing? What exactly is wrong with socially retarded children finding people they can mix with?

Your arguments are ridiculous and unnecessarily offensive. Not to me personally, because I'm not middle/upper class, a lot of my family's history is poor. I don't think I'm more intelligent than I am, I'm perfectly happy with my mind and its abilties and I'm equally aware of my limitations. I'm not socially retarded, I make friends easily. But your entire attitude is offensive, in that you can ridicule something that means so much to so many people and then go though one of my best friends blogs to use her as an example of the 'histrionics' and 'bull****' that you mentioned.

I'm not wasting more of my time on this, but to address the 'psuedo-intellectualism' you refer to; whose arguments have been dissected by whom?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Fucks sake, I leave for 3 days and this is what happens.

Congratulations Dust, I must say that you're probably one of the best trolls I've seen in recent times. I severly doubt that your actually a CTYIer, or even did that much research, due to your slip in the length of the course. Had you said "2 week" I would have put it down to a typo, but no, you put in the "two". Undermined you a bit. The LJ ref is a textbook trolling activity, just confirmed my beliefs.

I know everyone expects me to flame you, and damned if I'm not tempted to....but you don't deserve it. I know that you just want me to rise to the bait, so I won't. Now fuck off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Dust

To respond to the last post, Guilty as charged. Sorta. I believe most of what i wrote but the bitter nature of the original post can be attributed to my general dislike of the kind of people i was caricaturing. The fact that i actually wrote the post is due to boredom.

As to my CTYI credintals i did two junior summer camps, two saturday courses and one senior course. It was a few years ago but from what i remember i did: Archeology, Creative writing, Computers, Maths, Philosophy, Science and a few other.

Next to the relevance or appropriateness of my post.
    If one looks back over the previous eight or nine pages they will find plenty of superlatives describing the inclusive , accepting, excellent and friendly nature of CTYIers. All i did was invert these attributes. One has as much right as the other to be expressed.

Now rather than individualy replying to the 2/3 pages of vitriol that followed my post i will defend the 3 main generalisations include in my post.

As for the blog. It was open to the public on the net. If she is shamed by it it's not my fault. Its not misquoted or out of context.

1: Social Skills. I claimed "I understand that many of you find it difficult to interact with people that can't qoute the entire "life of brian"" and called some of you "socially retarded". This was based on experience and the numerous people that i saw in preceding pages claiming that ctyi was the only place they really fitted in, no longer the friendless girl in the corner ect ect. Seems fair.

2:Middle Class: Apart from the legendary scholarship student/s this should go without saying. If you parents can afford to spend hundreds of euro on a camp like ctyi in my view your not wc. Again seems fair.

3: Pseudo intellectual. This is more subjective and based on personal experience. If you feel its wrong, fine by me.

550.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,698 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Nah he made sense in that last post (like it or not), although it says a lot if you were offended by it....

Tbh Col I couldn't give a damn what he posts, he's a textbook troll.

even though he might be speaking (a little) sense....?

He's already shattered his credibility in my eyes. And sense or not, he's still a troll.

this thing does need some closure, but i still think an apology is in order. Dust, you sank way below the acceptable line and i think you need to acknowledge that.

fair enough, at least you can see that he may be making sense.

Oh totally, hell, I can see where he's coming from. I just couldn't give a blue flying **** about him!

just because he is/was making sense dosen't mean he was right.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭Barry Aldwell

I must say, points 1 and 3 above do ring true. Point 2 is a common misconception: While the vast majority of CTYIers are middle class, there are quite a few who attend whose parents would fit the outdated title of "working class"

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Zounds

i think the problem is that rather than voicing his own opinions he demeaned everyone elses and did so abusively.

I think the only valid point is one, but what's wrong with people who don't fit in well at school enjoying the expereince of spending time in a place with people who accept them?

• Advertisement

Nothing wrong with it at all.

I think, though, he was trying to voice his opinion too abusively.

I he'd lightened up, he could've voiced it without offence.

i wasnt particularly offended tbh

that's fine, but for the people who were, it would've been beter if, instead of his tirades, (especially the second post) he outlined his points more fairly.

Ah yes, but you see if he just acts like a tool, gets flamed, then gets all righteous and produces sensible points, then he can make himself look a hell of a lot better.

Ffs, the guy admitted he was a troll.

Raphael wrote:
    Ah yes, but you see if he just acts like a tool, gets flamed, then gets all righteous and produces sensible points, then he can make himself look a hell of a lot better.

You're right, i hadn't looked at it like that. his third post was certainly more sensible than the first two, if still flawed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Undergod

Listen to Raph's wisdom. More or less my opinion but I felt like saying something on behalf of others. He's said his bit, now stop giving a damn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Anne9

Basically. CTYI is the place where knowing every Monty Python song ever written is a talent. And where you're NOT weird, you're GIFTED. And where you're not properly dressed on a Thursday if you aren't wearing a dressing-gown.

And the only place in Ireland you can get Jolt (I think, I've never found it anywhere else). It's like smart school only more interesting and you only do one cool subject and generally have a laugh. Although They are watching us to see exactly what it is a load of smart kids do when they're together.

Undergod wrote:
    Listen to Raph's wisdom. More or less my opinion but I felt like saying something on behalf of others. He's said his bit, now stop giving a damn.
    I don't need wisdom, I'm a bard!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 400 ✭✭TalkISCheap

raphael wrote:
    I have always made one prayer to God, a very short one. "Oh Lord, make our enemies very ridiculous!" God has granted it to me.

-Voltaire (1694 - 1778)

The sig says it all....

• Advertisement

Hehe... I love Voltaire, he was such an arrogant bastard

Advertisement