Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is CTYI? *new*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

zounds, are you feeling ok?!?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Plunky

Yes, he gets sarky when he's tired with no pepsi

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Zounds

sdonn_1 wrote:
    zounds, are you feeling ok?!?!
    Better than ever comrade sdonn_1! Thanks to Dust I'm finally seeing things clearly, we must strike a blow against oppressors everywhere!

First we'll take out Xtra-Vision, those bastards have been keeping the common worker down for years with their "membership cards" and their capitalist ways!

Then we'll move against the sports clubs and teams everywhere, their crests and uniforms represent all that is rotten in this western, bourgeois plutocracy!

TO ARMS COMRADES, TO ARMS!

*grabs a leg*
    ...oops, wrong one...

well said! bit scary, but what the he**!

btw, don't mention the p-word near me, i can get quite grumpy. coke all the way!

sorry, that was a bit OT.

• Advertisement

where do we get the arms? it's just i'm quite attached to mine...

sdonn_1 wrote:
    well said! bit scary, but what the he**!

btw, don't mention the p-word near me, i can get quite grumpy. coke all the way!

sorry, that was a bit OT.

Don't mention Cock around most people here, we don't like dead colombians tbh. And it also tastes crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭Hugh Hefner

Plunky wrote:
    And it also tastes crap.
    Choke on your liiiiiiiiiiiiieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeessssssssssssssssssss!

Choke on yore ma

Coke Rules :D:D:D - no argument :mad: .

• Advertisement

Plunky wrote:
    Choke on yore ma
    I have. Now my throat is all sticky!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭pinkpimp

Dust wrote:
    hmm.. I was attracted to this post because of the inordinate numer of posts and as an ex-ctyier i thought it would be interesting tho see what others had to say. However after seeing the hyperbole of the first page i wasn't arsed reading the rest and as my faint nostalgia turned to bitter cynicism i decided to post my own reaction to it.

Firstly the experiences, testimonies and general bull**** that have been posted remind me the kind of stuff that i heard after Kairos, a cultish religous retreat with with born again undertones. I am amazed that for many of you it morphed from a two week study course with unihoc to a deeply spirtual, emotional event.
    For me ctyi was informative, interesting but far from a life defining experience.

I quite agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Dust, you're a bit of a tool it has to be said. Just because you didn't find it as enjoyable as some other people you cannot go around classing those who loved it and for whom it was a major part of their lives as being pseudo-intellectual. In all the people that I encountered at CTYI the vast majority were realistic, down-to-earth people who didn't class themselves as being superior to non-talented people. Intellectually superior maybe, but that's the given truth, not one of us can help that, and no-one goes around telling people how much better they are than someone who didn't get into CTYI.

so you also thinks it's no more than a little fun camp ... with unihoc? I was only there during the day, and i still enjoyed it much more than you two seem to have.

Just because it wasn't fun for you dosen't mean other people can't remember the fun. EDIT: you're entitled to your opinions but you don't need to insult everyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,698 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Dust wrote:
    a cultish religous retreat with with born again undertones. I am amazed that for many of you it morphed from a two week study course to a deeply spirtual, emotional event.
    For me ctyi was informative, interesting, loadsa craic and great times but far from a life defining experience.
    Yeah im quite amazed at this as well. It brilliant craic, a fairly unique experience, and id do it all again, but at the same time i see where he's coming from.

Also i reckon its a bit more than informative and interesting, so i threw in a little bit more ^^

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Dust

I had no intention of replying to the inevitable histrionics but well here i am.

Firstly to those people who disagreed in a rational manner without resorting to insults or block capitals, Well Done. A special mention should go to sdoon1 for a thoughtful and coherent post.

i was going to attack Zounds for his inability to spot the tongue in cheek nature of some of my post and his pathetic attempts at humour but then Piste stepped in with a wonderful example of what i was talking about.

She called the majority of people she met "down to earth" and me a "tool" so i decided to check out her blog. Inbetween self pity and quoting people praising her excellence, intelligence and acting ability i found this gem

"I felt almost guilty as I saw everyone break down around me for not feeling something. I almost felt like I was betraying ctyi in a way, and that by not being as devestated that it had come to an end it meant I didn't truly love it and want it to continue forever. All I could do last night was watch helplessly around me as people bawled their eyes out and try some way to comfort them and be there for them."

Thanks for sharing Piste. I really couldn't make this stuff up.

Appologies if my original post attacked all CTYIers for the irritating affectations of some.

I was originally going to write a long-winded defence of both myself and my blog, butthe I thought, why bother? Tbh, you seem to be looking for a fight so I will leave you with these kind words:

Fúck. You.

Dust, the fact that you start you post with 'i promised i wouldn't do this...' makes your apology a bit of a contradiction, don't you think?

I think you are being vey hard on some people, especially piste, who you make sound like an imbecile, which it dosen't sound like she is.

Also, if you didn't want to linger over ctyi ('get over it', in your original post), then why'd you start a post you must have known would be contravercial and attract lots of (mostly negative) replies?

You're fighting a bit of a losing battle here. Realise that and apologise to those you've made hate your guts, this is meant to be a frindly forum (as far as i can see).

EDIT: also, you misspelt my name.

sdonn_1 wrote:
    I think you are being vey hard on some people, especially piste, who you make sound like an imbecile, which it dosen't sound like she is.

He did a pretty crap job of that tbh, twisting my words to try and make a ponit only shows him to be the imbecile, not me. I think that's plain to see for everyone.

yeah maybe i messed up on that, but i was defending you, though.

• Advertisement

Oh I know that, and I thank you for it, but it's hard to defend when there's no real attack.

I cant wait until Aonghus finds this....

i was gonna outline where i thought he was insulting you, but i won't linger over it, he wouldn't like that, would he...

im starting to find it hard not to swear at him meself...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Dust. Grow up or **** off. Actually, do both. Noone around here, where we all got a lot out of CTYI, needs to hear your whining about how we're a pack of socially retarded kids living out of daddy's pockets. **** you. You went to the same course. Were you the only one who wasn't one of these people you so nicely refer to? I doubt it. And to drag someone's blog into this argument shows you to be a callous prick. Well done. Go and die.

Dust. Grow up or **** off. Actually, do both. Noone around here, where we all got a lot out of CTYI, needs to hear your whining about how we're a pack of socially retarded kids living out of daddy's pockets. ... And to drag someone's blog into this argument shows you to be a callous prick.

f*** my previous level-headedness. Hear, hear!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭halenger

Now now kids. Don't make me seperate you.

Drop the matter, entirely. He's made his, controversial, opinion known and we all know what the majority of people will say to that. This serves no purpose. If you want to argue with the chap take it to PM please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭Pyschopath666

Dust..... all I can say is that I fit into "normal" society fairly well yet I found CTYI to be the best place in the world now maybe thats because I'm not exactly sane but at least I found a place where I could be me and not ridiculed or bet because of it. If I went around my town with a spade in my hand or wearing eye liner I'd be killed yet at CTYI it was just normal... Now just beacuse you didnt enjoy it to the extent I and some of my friends did well thats your problem...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭Matthewthebig

To the Thunderdome to continue the fight

and how did i miss this?

Dust, did you go to Belvedere or Gonzaga? Just asking cos' you said you went to Kairos.

Edit: Or what Matt says.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭Matthewthebig

or Clongoes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Zounds

Since you disapprove of my humour, I'll take a more serious angle:
    Dust wrote:
    Firstly the experiences, testimonies and general bull**** that have been posted...
    Generally and abusively slating others viewpoints is hardly the right way to start off the voicing of your own opinions.
    Dust wrote:
    I am amazed that for many of you it morphed from a two week study course with unihoc to a deeply spirtual, emotional event.
    Most people do find it quite amazing and surprising the effect their three weeks at CTYI can have on them, their personality and their outlook on life but naturally there are always some who are unimpressed.
    Dust wrote:
    For me ctyi was informative, interesting but far from a life defining experience.
    This bit here is what you really should have posted. It expresses your opinion on what CTYI is without all the needless and irrelevant shít-stirring. Perhaps you are envious of the experiences other had during their time at CTYI...
    Dust wrote:
    The point that really galls me is that many of you revel in it exclusivness. Its been called "a nation of its own", "unlike anywhere else on earth"...
    The point of it being called "a nation of it's own" is a reference to the shared experience of most who go there, the "CTYI culture" which has developed over the years and the general sense of, for want of a better word, comradery which is felt amongst many who have shared time there. To describe it as "unlike anywhere else on Earth" is really very apt and it is a description I often hear applied to cities and holiday destinations. Neither of the statements imply or celebrate exclusivity in any way.
    Dust wrote:
    ...your own little pretentious pseudo intelluctal world.
    Yes, the place where we spend our free timing discussing things such as
    "alternative uses for toothbrushes", "who'd win in a fight: Niall's Diablos or El Diablo?" and "How drunk Pierce can get on any given night in his home-town" is truly our intellectual utopia.
    Dust wrote:
    I understand that many of you find it difficult to interact with people that can't qoute the entire "life of brian"
    Most people who attend CTYI are really quite socially apt, a point demonstrated by the fact that they feel comfortable leaving home and immersing themselves with a group of total strangers for three weeks. Those who do lack confidence are hardly a group unique to us "nerds" and an enclosed enviroment like CTYI (or for that matter any residential summer camp) where they can be totally unassociated with the preconceptions most people they deal with in everyday life would have of them is something most people would welcome, not just die-hard Monty Python fans.
    Dust wrote:
    ...a little enclave of nerdiness that acts as the highlight of your year and a bastion from the "rough boys" who don't appreciate your "uniqeness".
    I'm not actually quite sure where to start with this one.....eh, "Rough boys"???
    Dust wrote:
    It is a camp for kids who think they are more intelligent than they are...
    Actually I generally find that most CTYIers view the tag of "Talented" as something that someone else placed on them for reasons not entirely obvious. Many of us are outright idiots.
    Dust wrote:
    ...middle/upper class parents whose upwardly mobile aspirations and love for their socially retarded offspring results in them spending HUGE amounts of money so their precious child can mix with similar children and feel superior, unique and maybe for the first time get a girl/boy friend.
    The main point against this (without going into the details) is that CTYI is advertised and promoted to parents as an academic course, the social aspect is mentioned as a side-effect and I gather from many people I know that their parents have no idea of the extent of the social aspect.

All and all I think your little tirade lacked a basis, was badly thought out, badly put across and your constant ad hominim (sp?) attacks gives the overall impression that you're just looking for a fight. I'll post this anyway though cause I've gone to the bother of typing it out and will give you the benefit of the doubt.

P.S. Your quoting and mockery of Piste's Live journal was low, childish and in my opinion worthy of a banning, it definitely counts as personal abuse.

Advertisement