Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is CTYI? *new*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Acid_Violet

Chakar wrote:
    So basically academic ability is the ability to regurgitate information.

The SAT test tests your mathematical and verbal reasoning ability but because most of the maths is multiple choice, it really tests your logic, so if you're quite intelligent but not excellent at maths, I think you could get in. The verbal tests what you comprehend in literature and your understanding of the meaning of words in context and word relationship, so it really tests your articulacy and comprehension of ideas. A typical test that demonstrates the ability to regurgitate information is the leaving cert.

CTYI admits the 95th percentile and above to participate in it's courses so not all would have mensa high IQ's, if that was what you were hinting at, but the majority of people would have reasonably high IQ's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Chakar

Interesting stuff..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

I got to do psycology in my second year. It was great.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭andrew

I did it a couple of years ago, when i was in primary school. im pretty sure i didnt do any SATs. I did a Drumcondra English and a Drumcondra Math test Both were a year or two ahead of what i was ment to do, i think. I did an IQ test as well, i think. It had patterns that you had to comlplete. I did 2 Summer courses and a Spring course. Are the entry exams for Second level students different or something? Good times anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Yeah the primary school one is just Drumcondras, but the Senior CTYI courses require you to do a SAT test (which is really just a glorified Drumcondra, but I hear they have an essay section now too)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Onias

Hey everyone, just discovered this board. I went to CTYI in 2000-2001 as a Junior and I was wondering if I'm still eligible to go to the Senior CTYI. I'll be 16 in August.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭carlowboy

Yes you are.

Oh great, thanks. There's a good chance that I'll be busy in January so do I still have to take the SATs? Can my Junior exam results be used? I don't see why not.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Twinkle-star15

No, I think you still have to take the SAT's. They're very different exams *grumbles about low test scores*.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

You can get in by IQ as well methinks, but the simplest and most common way is through the SATs. Your Junior Cert results are not applicable. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Onias wrote:
    Oh great, thanks. There's a good chance that I'll be busy in January so do I still have to take the SATs? Can my Junior exam results be used? I don't see why not.
    Because the Junior Certificate is more a test of your ability to work than a test of your latent intelligence

But I'd say that if you know what your exact JC results are and you heard that you're above the 95th percentile somehow then I'd say you could get through. I think I heard that someone qualified because their results in the JC in English or Maths were abnormally high.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭Thursday*

But you may as well just do the Talent Search (PSAT). It's probably handier.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

But I'd say that if you know what your exact JC results are and you heard that you're above the 95th percentile somehow then I'd say you could get through. I think I heard that someone qualified because their results in the JC in English or Maths were abnormally high.

I got a C in my Junior Cert English exam, because I didn't study. I got 570 in my SAT because it's about understanding and logic. The two do not mesh and are not representative.

Sorry, I think you misunderstood me. I meant the results I used to get in to the Junior session of CTYI.

I'm saying that I should be able to hand in the reasoning results I used to get into the Junior session of CTYI. It's not like ability disappears or goes away over time. Unless you've been raped...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭carlowboy

I don't think so. Its a different exam so you'll have to do the exams.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭Thursday*

A fair few CTYIzens were in baby CTYI before. I was. I got a letter when I was too old for baby CTYI about the Talent Search for big CTYI - that's normal, to do both tests, everyone is expected to.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭slasher_65

Thursday* wrote:
    A fair few CTYIzens were in baby CTYI before. I was. I got a letter when I was too old for baby CTYI about the Talent Search for big CTYI - that's normal, to do both tests, everyone is expected to.
    Pretty much the same happened to me, just I got into miniCTYI by use of being recomended by a psycologist. Let me bypass the exam.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

That's how my sister got into both baby and older CTYI, a psychologist recommended her.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 400 ✭✭TalkISCheap

I got recommended by a psychologist to take the baby CTYI test... Heehee, do I win?!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭andrew

whats the baby CTYI? like 4th or 5th class?

I think it currently goes from 5-6 to 12-13.

I got in by doing baby CTYI and getting a letter about older CTYI. Was so glad I went, older is tonnes better than mini CTYI.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 melee

Hey

I'm from the US and go to CTY, not CTYI, but aren't they pretty much the same thing? I mean, the descriptions from people who've been are pretty much the same, as are various details (classes, 2 3-week sessions for the summer, the SAT, American Pie, etc.), and when I went last year, one of the kids was from CTYI.

Of course, not everything's the same. I've never heard of anyone in the States getting in on a psychologist's recommendation, and while I know there are online courses, I've never heard of weekend classes here (US) either.

On SATs: Here in America, standardized testing is a very idiotic practice that is incredibly annoying (except when the juniors have to take PSATs, so everyone else gets to sleep in :)). I know you have your Junior Certs, which are incredibly important (from what I gather), but I have no idea what they're like. The SAT is supposed to test innate ability and was originally claimed to be non-studyable. This is complete bull. While knowing facts are important for the SAT (it is very helpful to study), it is much more practical to understand that psychologists write it. You can take the reading comprehension section without actually reading the excerpt, and still get just one question wrong simply by knowing how they write the test.

Also in note: I don't know if they are or aren't, but it sounds to me like the Junior Certs are mandatory and given by the government. The SAT is not like that. While most colleges require SAT scores and are taken in schools, the SAT is run by a company and optional. However, standardized testing is mandatory, and on the rise in schools (no thanks to Our Fearless Leader President Bush:mad: and No Child Left Behind, which says that if schools don't raise test scores, they get less government funding:confused:.). The government runs these tests, which are given every few years instead of once or twice like the SAT, and the actual test varies form state to state(Pennsylvania has the PSSA, for grades 3, 5, 8, and 11, most notably the two latter).

If you managed to read all that, thanks for listening to my Rant On American Testing! You deserve a cookie and several large, virtual hugs.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Jack Lynch

I'll trade those hugs for another cookie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭freakydeadgirl

In response to melee"s post:

CTY and CTYI are basically the same thing. After taking the PSATs in Middle School I got the snazzy letter form Johns-Hopkins saying that I could come to one of their summer programs, CTY. One of my friends did CTYI, a sister program to Johns-Hopkins, a summer before me and raved all about it so I went with that one and loved it. Went back the summer after for another run during my nevermore year, loved it even more.

That's been over almost four years now...damn I'm getting old

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Rohypnol

Sounds to me like a money racket for people with no friends. Would I be right or am I just prejudiced because of the fact that it's all nerds and there's a 50 quid fee to apply?

Rohypnol wrote: »
    Sounds to me like a money racket for people with no friends. Would I be right or am I just prejudiced because of the fact that it's all nerds and there's a 50 quid fee to apply?

OH GOD I AM SO ANGRY, SOMEBODY HOLD ME BACK. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Sliiiightly more than 50 quid.
    As far as I'm aware (though could be very wrong here), CTYI runs either at a loss or slightly better, so it's not too much of a money-making racket. More of a "enticing peopel to DCU" racket if anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement