Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheap computer components suppliers. PLEASE read before asking "where can I buy x"

Options
124»

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 4,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nukem

Was googling something a min ago and came across these two sites?

www.pcn.ie
    www.dcbgroup.com

Both irish with some ok gear

nukem

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 buck247

Hi ,

Just thought you might want to know inkclub are giving away free

ink cartridges to 1st time customers.

I get my ink from them all the time anyway cos there much

cheaper than anywhere around the rip off shops.. :mad:

Here's the deal link...

http://www.protry.com/sponsor/ink/deal/freebies/freeink.htm

Hope it helps! :)
    Dave

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭DSLC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 271 ✭✭Vadrefjorde

Just came across www.computeruniverse.net

German company but unlike Jes all this site translates in to english. Prices seem ok too. Unfortunately they use GLS so i guess it's hit or miss when you'll actually get your stuff delivered :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 namit_coro

Just came across www.computeruniverse.net

German company but unlike Jes all this site translates in to english. Prices seem ok too. Unfortunately they use GLS so i guess it's hit or miss when you'll actually get your stuff delivered :rolleyes:

have you ever used them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭pmk19

www.pc-icebox.de

knowing german could be useful

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭Goosey

http://www.justmedia.ie
    http://www.mediawrite.ie

I've bought from Just Media and I have no complaints. The ink for my Epson C62 real cheap.

Goosey

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

any hope of going through this and creating one or two posts with all links and relivent info ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 dkc

Having read through all the posts (twice) I guess it's time to do a summary of what we have so far. Note that I have not verified the web addresses and have no personal experience of any (except komplett) so this just summarises the previous 100 or so posts...

The better ones, ie. ones that were seconded by others here, seem to be:
    www.komplett.ie
    www.shop4memory.com (no postage to Ireland)
    www.overclockers.co.uk [note: there's a separate thread on serious problems with customer support at this site]
    www.overclock.co.uk
    www.ebuyer.com (high postage)
    www.pc-memory-upgrade.co.uk (have an outlet in Kildare)
    www.pc-look.com (French, need to verify your id)

Other sites that appear to be good, ie. based on at least one post each, seem to be:
    www.munstercomputers.com (big selection)
    www.theoverclockingstore.co.uk
    www.jes-computer.de (German)
    www.calibrecomputing.co.uk (no Irish postage, cheap dvd media)
    www.savastore.com (flat delivery rate)
    www.cclcomputers.com
    www.microdirect.co.uk

There are numerous other sites listed throughout the posts. Kind of hard to tell if they are genuine posts or a spot of free advertising by people who work there. I'll let ye make your own minds up or we'll wait for more posts on the topic.

Some sites that we are generally warned away from are:
    www.scan.co.uk (unreliable)
    www.dawncomputers.com (2nd rate components)
    www.elara.ie (expensive, inaccurate stock reporting)

Note again that I may have made some minor mistakes with the web addresses (if it doesn't work, try it without www.) but the main gist of it is there. Also, if there are any hungry lawyers out there, this information is based on individuals' experiences and is not a definitive statement on the quality of any one site!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭davie_b

DSLC wrote:

worked for them Mr.palmers a prick

dara is sownd!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

LOL! I just sent khannie a PM asking if he wanted someone to wade through the list and tidy it up a bit :p

I'll probably take your list there and add more info to each retailer and spice it up a bit. Then see if it can be made into the first post of a new thread, and the new thread stickied.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 dkc

sounds good
    I didn't want to put too much effort into it, can't be bothered!
    But certainly, it can be improved on -- go for it

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Just to be clear lads, if a mod's gonna sticky a list, it has to be reasonably impartial. Obviously some sites (e.g. komplett) get more traffic from boardsters than others.

WP though dkc, nice first post. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭stas

From my experience the only shops who have some decent stock and good prices are: komplett, and www.pixmania.com
    Pixmania is international (like komplett), but they do 24 hour delivery for just 12 euro. Bought a few bits and pieces from both - very happy.

The rest on the list are a joke, soz.
    Well, sorry, shop4memory is very good, but you don't buy memory all the time, right ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,240 ✭✭✭Endurance Man

Wow :eek: , thanks Stas. Why hasnt any1 else mentioned this pixmania place. They are excellent. Good prices and only 13euro to ireland, :) , im lovin it. Is this a secret that every1 has been keeping to them selves :p .
    Think im placing an order tommorow.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭stas

No worries, E.M. It's just keep in mind that noone's perfect. For example, all the stuff I got from pixmania was top class, one con was that a camcoder came with a user guide in French. Oh well, who reads them anyway :-D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

Oh sh!t....this pixmania place looks interesting!!!!#

Thanks for the info stas!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

Yeah pixmania is quite a nice site, thanks guys who recommended it here... Found my telly for 300 euro under what dixons were selling :D Cheap shipping too... excellent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭smeggle

www.2412electrics.com - site is offline at the moment for re-designs/upgrades. Owner did promiss to have it back later in the year but will supply any computer related item and media equipment such as plasma tv, projectors at 5% above wholesale + P&P.

e-mail sales-at-2412electrics.com with requirements and he'll post anywhere in Southern Ireland direct. All payments in advance and I've used the guy so can vouch for a very fast friendly service. He can near enough equal Dell on pre-builts!

When I asked the 'How, Where, When' he said he gets cheesed of at seeing folk being scammed with innordinately high charges and as it's not his main line of work, he just uses his account to give folk a 'help out'. Nice guy - I use him regularly for my stuff..

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 4,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nukem

Jaysus that sounds like bit of a plug;)
    10/10 for effort

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭smeggle

Nukem wrote:
    Jaysus that sounds like bit of a plug;)
    10/10 for effort

heh - maybe so - but he deserves it! saved me a small fortune anyway. Your choice if you contact him or not. I'm just passing on the info as has everyone else in this thread.

And I would hazard a good guess he can trash most prices on most of those sites (I looked at a few btw :rollseyes: ;) )...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

I would take smeggles posts with a pinch of salt if I were you.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=3081245&postcount=6

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=281252
    smeggle wrote:
    comercial spammer
    I'm a naughty fly-by-night chancer.

Point and laugh at me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

Wow that sitethat Stas mention is amazing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭aersat

www.lowestonweb.com and www.rlsupplies.co.uk are both very good from experience.

Aersat. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭shoegirl

stas wrote:
    From my experience the only shops who have some decent stock and good prices are: komplett, and www.pixmania.com
    Pixmania is international (like komplett), but they do 24 hour delivery for just 12 euro. Bought a few bits and pieces from both - very happy.

Komplett are excellent - bought a few things from them, never any problems.

Pixmania on the other hand - avoid like the plague - I ordered a gift voucher for my brother, who swears by them, and never again. The order sat there for 10 days in "processing." I rang customer care yesterday and they said it would be sorted out by the end of the day. Today - still no progress. I've told them to sort it by the end of today or I want the order cancelled and a full refund. Not at all impressed. He'll be getting an Amazon voucher.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 dogbert_the_dog

don't know if anyone ever reads this thread any more but for what it's worth (referring to vendors previously mentioned)......

www.computer-universe.net seem to have a good range and reasonable prices but if you're ordering using credit card expect thm to ask for a faxed photocopy of your credit card (which I wasn't prepared to do)

www.overclockers.co.uk asked for verification too (I presume it's for orders above €100), faxed copy of credit card bill/utility bill/ driving licence etc., and they don't accept communication by email which might be a pain in the ass.

www.komplett.ie can't recommend enough, brilliant (if only they had the board I wanted I wouldn't have had to use anyone else)

And one vendor I haven't seen mentioned.....

www.hardwarearea.com (www.ngenx.de) avoid like the plague, ordered stuff three weeks ago never dispatched ignored all emails and phone lines apparently not working, had to use paypal to get money back (subsequent searching on google found two guys posted on european forums & one blog from a guy in england all who had exact same problem)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

wowzers, haven't seen this one in a while. I trawled the thread and took out sites with recommendations and put them in one of the stickies. Sites that were repeatedly recommended got a * beside them. I'll stick your ones in later today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭-DuMbGuM-

Just checked nearly all of the links here for a core duo E6850 3Ghz....

They all either didnt have it (had less powerful chips) or were more expensive than Komplett.

Bottom line: http://komplett.ie

I've bought tons of stuff off them, components, an mp3 player, mobile phone.. Cheap prices on products, and cheap + quick delivery :cool:

lol @ pixmania : http://www.pixmania.com/ie/uk/527412/art/corsair/xms2-dominator-xtreme-per.html

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=324986

• Registered Users Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭majiktripp

Dude...year old thread...

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement