Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Campaign for BBC3, 4, News 24 and BBC Radio in Ireland.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭robert muldoon

I dont pretend to be an expert in this subject but I will give my views any way and someone can enlighten me.
    When it comes to satellite broadcasting,license fee does not enter the equation,when a broadcaster,like Sky buys the rights, say from the BBC, it pays a fee to the BBC, which I presume is in lieu of a licensing fee. So if and when we ever get UTV and Channel 4 they will also pay a fee and that fee will be passed on to us as an increase in the family pack.Does not Chorus have to pay somebody to rebroadcast the UK terrestial channels in ROI. So if this is someway factual, I dont have a conscious about not paying a license to the UK- I hope I am not talking a load of rubbish. Anyway, as I said above, someone can enlighten me

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Ok Robert, just to clarify the situation.......

All TV service providers in this country pay the broadcasters a fee to show that channel. NTL and Chrous did deals with BBC, Channel 4 and UTV years ago to show the channels, which is paid by a small fee by the monthly or annual subscription. This is not in lieu of the licence fee, only a payment to rebroadcast the channel. We cant be seen as paying part of the UK licence fee, i.e. get the BBC on the cheap. So monies are paid to all channels.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭Charles Slane

Well I made it to the letters page of the Evening Herald today ! They printed all of the letter except the last line about Sky increasing their subscription base.

What's interesting is that it wasn't noticed by me, but by a work colleague, which goes to show that people actually do read the letter pages in papers.

So where's my prize ?

One ORC on the way......... :D:D

Well done sir!

Damo. (off to shop)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,409 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Hold on he gets an ORC and i dont. Plus he canvessed for it.

Ahh well.

Just have to look for another exclusive.

• Advertisement

Oh alright then :D :rolleyes: :D (your two exclusives were belters BTW, I was winding you up :D)

One ORC to irishgeo :)

Page 15 in tonights Herald, BTW....

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭SRB

If Sky want to extend their subscriber base in Ireland, it would help if their Irish service was on a par with their UK offering.
    =============================================

Charles, the problem with this arguement is that at the end of the day the Irish Sky service is always going to be different because at the end of the day IRELAND is a different country from the UK.
    I mean Sky subscribers in the UK don't get all the Murdoch owned American or Aussie channels, or for example, the Fox Channel - they have Sky One. UK viewers don't have RTE, TV3 or TG4.
    It's just the nature of the digital world that overspill can be controlled.
    As I said before........ "In an Ideal World......"

(Was it really 1987 - soooooh long ago !)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,327 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Originally posted by Charles Slane
    Well I made it to the letters page of the Evening Herald today ! They printed all of the letter except the last line about Sky increasing their subscription base.

What's interesting is that it wasn't noticed by me, but by a work colleague, which goes to show that people actually do read the letter pages in papers.

So where's my prize ?

I saw it Charles well done

Tony

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

Originally posted by Charles Slane
    I spent the Euro aswell, I wonder will this increase in sales be noticed:D
    mm

In reply to SRB, regarding overspill:

They could control it aswell on the Cable companies but to date have chose not to, and have continued with the agreement for carriage of ITV/BBC/CH4 that was referred to by Damo above.

So it's not so simple a situation as to dismiss the problem as a normal difference between Ireland and the UK.

• Advertisement

The Cable companies were different - they relayed the channels for years with no formal agreement then they found themselves in a pay up or face serious legal action senario.
    The loss of the UK channels would have been the death of cable so a solution was found. The sat situation is not quite the same, Sky can still operate a pay system in Ireland with or without all the UK channels......

Originally posted by SRB
    Charles, the problem with this arguement is that at the end of the day the Irish Sky service is always going to be different because at the end of the day IRELAND is a different country from the UK.

Hi SRB, I understand that, but hell, we might as well shoot for the stars. What have we got to lose ? They'll definitely never give us these channels and services if we sit quietly looking at "This service is not available in the Republic of Ireland" signs and do nothing.

And by the way, if anyone deserves a "no prize", it's irishgeo for his great exclusives. (Does anyone remember what a "no prize" was ? Old fans of Marvel comics would remember the reference).

Enlighten me as to what a "no prize" is.

I do think people are taking the piss out of me in here.

Wether i continue to make comments to this group is under review.

Originally posted by SRB
    The Cable companies were different - they relayed the channels for years with no formal agreement then they found themselves in a pay up or face serious legal action senario.
    The loss of the UK channels would have been the death of cable so a solution was found. The sat situation is not quite the same, Sky can still operate a pay system in Ireland with or without all the UK channels......
    My point was that the likes of ITV and channel four could stop their channels on cable in ROI if they wanted to.
    As you say a *solution* was found, it's been decided obviously that a soution will not be found too quickly for d-sat.
    Heck they are allowing a greater number there to watch their channels than would be the case on Sky digital.
    mm

Originally posted by irishgeo

I'm not taking the piss.

A "no prize" was what you got when you wrote the best letter of the month to any of the Marvel comics (Spiderman, Hulk, Fantastic Four etc.). You didn't actually get anything at all other than the honour of getting awarded a "no prize".

Originally posted by irishgeo

Relax the cacks, its only friendly banter. And we do count you as a good friend to the forum. :)

OK

firstly i like to say how much i enjoy this group.

Secondly i like to say sorry to the group for being so stupid

Thridly i hope to give more exclusives soon.

My point was that the likes of ITV and channel four could stop their channels on cable in ROI if they wanted to.
    As you say a *solution* was found, it's been decided obviously that a soution will not be found too quickly for d-sat.

Ah, but the cable companies needed the UK Channels to survive back in the dark old days - what else did they realistically have to offer ? It was in their interest to come to a deal with the UK broadcasters.
    My point is Sky Ireland DON'T need the UK channels, yes, it would be nice to have them but if it's going to be more trouble than it's worth they won't bother. More importantly if certain UK channels aren't interested in Broadcasting to Ireland, then Sky won't waste time and money trying to change their mind.
    Oh, and the rights agreement for cable relaying of foreign stations is also (surprise surprise) very different from that of Digital Sat Rights.....

Originally posted by SRB

Ah, but the cable companies needed the UK Channels to survive back in the dark old days - what else did they realistically have to offer ? It was in their interest to come to a deal with the UK broadcasters.
    My point is Sky Ireland DON'T need the UK channels, yes, it would be nice to have them but if it's going to be more trouble than it's worth they won't bother. More importantly if certain UK channels aren't interested in Broadcasting to Ireland, then Sky won't waste time and money trying to change their mind.
    Oh, and the rights agreement for cable relaying of foreign stations is also (surprise surprise) very different from that of Digital Sat Rights.....
    You're agreeing with everything I said then;)
    And UTV do want a presence on the ROI EPG,it's the ITV network who due to the overbearing influence of Granada (and that groups share in tv3) are throwing the spanner in.
    Of course Sky could facilitate the wishes of it's subscribers by using it's sterling/Euro windfall to encourage a solution.
    mm

And UTV do want a presence on the ROI EPG,it's the ITV network who due to the overbearing influence of Granada (and that groups share in tv3) are throwing the spanner in.
    Of course Sky could facilitate the wishes of it's subscribers by using it's sterling/Euro windfall to encourage a solution.
    ==============================================
    UTV, as a stand alone broadcaster, could go on very easily. They could of course show all their own programmes, problem is the channel wouldn't have too much to show !!!
    (Anyone ever see the dreadful TV You ?)

• Advertisement

I would think its very much in Sky's interest to have the UK terrestial Channels on their Irish platform- Threr is competition here, Ok, it might'nt be quite up to BSkyB standards but it is improving. I am not going to continue to fork out for two different systems(ie Chorus & Sky) just in the hope that quote" sometime in the future UTV & Channel 4 will be on Sky ROI" If UTV & Channel 4 are not on the ROI epg by next Jan, then I am dumping Sky

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭carrolls

You don't need to fork out for both systems, just get a UK FTV card to supplement your Sky subscription.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Gadgie

Originally posted by carrolls
    You don't need to fork out for both systems, just get a UK FTV card to supplement your Sky subscription.

Carrolls, it's not an available solution for everyone, so please stop quoting it as the solution to life, love and the universe.

Glenn

Carrolls , perhaps you could email me @ robertmuldoon@hotmail.com

To inform me how I could attain a UK FTV card that will work with my present Sky digi box

Hi Robert, Check your private messages.

Carrolls, it's not an available solution for everyone, so please stop quoting it as the solution to life, love and the universe.

Glennus,
    Life---No,
    Love---No,
    the Universe---Maybe?

But one thing is certain, getting an FTV card is at least as easy as getting Chorus or NTL installed.
    It is the available solution for those who dare.
    I mean all you need is a contact in the UK, and I literally don't know anybody who doesn't have some kind of contact in the UK or NI.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 LOUGHLIN

Damo, Sorry but I do not agree with you, the Beeb is very open to inquiries like this. My idea would be to meet with the Beeb either in DUblin or in London for those that travel there. I have no doubt at all that they would put us in contact with the proper person and that we could get things done that way......... Over to you

I notice the saturday show(I think thats what it's called) on BBC1 had interactive available to ROI Sky this morning.
    Three screens, one with the cbbc pop show, , one with highlights of last weeks show, and the other with an extra part of the show :)
    mm

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭telecinesk

Can I ask, if BBC Choice, Four CBBC etc UTV CH4 and Ch5 arrive on ROI sky service, wouldnt sky hike up their subs? Im sure of it.
    Get a BBC Card and be done with an ROI card in the "hope" etc..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Originally posted by madman
    I notice the saturday show(I think thats what it's called) on BBC1 had interactive available to ROI Sky this morning.
    Three screens, one with the cbbc pop show, , one with highlights of last weeks show, and the other with an extra part of the show :)
    mm

glad to see i'm not the only fan of that show on these boards :D
    the interactive was very well put together. pleasing on the eye

• Advertisement

The Saturday Show Interactive has been working on an Irish Subscription since Christmas. The third option (UK Top 40) is quite cool.
    Better than Dave Fanning's 2tv ever was.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement