Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mods should act more moddy

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

Rozie wrote:
    Right, I'm really ****ing sick of the mods here.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=3482494
    Wow. Just ****ing wow. You can't even say "can we have a Dr. Who board?" without needing to dis something else in the same sentence.
    Rozie wrote:
    this board is meant to reperesent Ireland
    Said who?

If it is, can we have some lovely grants from the goverment or something?
    Rozie wrote:
    it's just making me realise more and more how much I don't want to be here.
    I didn't realise we were forcing you to post.
    Rozie wrote:
    I don't care if you think I'm a troll
    I don't think you're a troll. I think you really are such an asshole.
    Rozie wrote:
    since you have a monopoly on Irish boards it's not fair you can get away with it.
    You can set up another bulletin board site in less than a day.
    Rozie wrote:
    It doesn't change that I might have a point.
    No, it doesn't change that you might though at this stage the possibility seems quite thin since you've been around for some time and have yet to make one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Rozie

koneko wrote:
    Monopoly? There are other forums, and anyone can start their own. It's not boards.ie's faulty if other people are too lazy to start their own. At the end of the day it's still just a forum, owned by a bunch of lads who had a common interest, and it grew from there. They're not under any obligation to change the site to suit a few people.

And I really really don't mean any offense by this Rozie (I'm just being honest or calling it as I see it), but I think a lot of the problems you're having on boards are down to your own attitude, and the over-the-top hostility you are portraying in nearly every thread I see. It's like walking into a pub and shoving people instead of starting up a nice friendly conversation. Maybe I'm wrong, maybe no one agrees.

Then why do other people have problems here?
    And did it occur to you that my attitude was largely down to impatience with the people here?

There's no too ways about it, this forum is very harsh on moderator decisions.
    no it's not the same thing
    this site belongs to the Admins, they do with it as they wish.
    we are Mods because they have allowed us to be
    big difference

That doesn't make it right though. As long as they have a monopoly here, whether or not they pay for the place is irrelevant. Besides, you can own a server, but it's unfair to claim you OWN a community, which is why I have a problem with possessive admins.

Start your own board to represent Ireland and take away the monopoly.
    Also it's not a monopoly that would imply that boards.ie is the only Irish site that has a bulletin board.
    And since when has boards.ie been Ireland's representation on the internet?

It's the biggest Irish board and the only one of it's kind. There are next to no large Irish boards; and it would take years to create another of this size, if ever. People are reluctant to move; it's like trying to convert them to a political system. Even if they're pissed off, as long as they're kept somewhat comfortable they won't do anything about it.

If you can point me to another, similiar "all purpose board for irish people", I'll go there and shut up.
    Start reading here and you may soon understand. Ecksor can do whatever the hell he likes.

Yeah, sorry, but that's bull****. The rest of the internet has words for that kind of person. Or at least used to.
    Wow. Just ****ing wow. You can't even say "can we have a Dr. Who board?" without needing to dis something else in the same sentence.

I was making a point, and a relevant one that got ignored. And I was at least keeping some level of respect even if it wasn't for the decisions themselves in the least, you just threw that out the window. Congrats.
    Said who?

The URL.

The Government take interest in developing their contribution to the internet? That's a joke, right?
    I didn't realise we were forcing you to post.

I didn't realise there was another equivellant board.
    I don't think you're a troll. I think you really are such an asshole.

And I'm sure you felt good about yourself saying that, eh?
    You can set up another bulletin board site in less than a day.

And um, how many members do you think will join? It would take years to build up a fanbase.

That comment is just pretty retarded in general.
    No, it doesn't change that you might though at this stage the possibility seems quite thin since you've been around for some time and have yet to make one.

And you accuse me of being hostile. This is exactly the kind of pushy arrogance I'm sick of.

But whatever, it's your forum, it's your freedom to use it to mess with people how you see fit. After all, there are plenty of alternatives I could join... Oh wait, there aren't. You DO have a monopoly and you ARE walking a thin line near to abusing that. Oh well.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Rozie wrote:
    Then why do other people have problems here?

I don't see anyone getting in as many fights as you do. Boards.ie has a huge huge huge number of posters and visitors. The amount of complaints is really very small compared to how many people post/read.
    Besides, you can own a server, but it's unfair to claim you OWN a community, which is why I have a problem with possessive admins.

Then, and yes this is going to sound harsh, why don't you leave? They own it, it's theirs, you don't have to like it. No one's making you post here, no one's making you use the site. The day Boards.ie is taken over by the government and they get a subsidy, you can complain about it being unfair all you want, but until then it's just another forum owned by regular people. A lot of people like it here. If you don't, no one is forcing you to use the site, there's plenty of forums aaaall over the web.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

koneko wrote:
    ...there's plenty of forums aaaall over the web.

I'm seeing a handgesture that goes with this, sort of like tracing an invisible basketball in the air...

• Advertisement

koneko wrote:
    I don't see anyone getting in as many fights as you do. Boards.ie has a huge huge huge number of posters and visitors. The amount of complaints is really very small compared to how many people post/read.

Irish people, by nature, don't complain much, so that's a bit of a moot point.

And it does us more bad than it does good.

Also, I don't know if you realise, but I didn't start out hostile. It was only when I had crowds of people jumping on top me that I develop that reaction, which the staff did nothing about. I don't think it's fair to complain if you did nothing to stop me getting this pissed off in the first place when there was something blatantly messy going on.
    Then, and yes this is going to sound harsh, why don't you leave? They own it, it's theirs, you don't have to like it. No one's making you post here, no one's making you use the site. The day Boards.ie is taken over by the government and they get a subsidy, you can complain about it being unfair all you want, but until then it's just another forum owned by regular people. A lot of people like it here. If you don't, no one is forcing you to use the site, there's plenty of forums aaaall over the web.

Because most Irish people who go online come here, therefore it does indeed represent the country as a whole. There isn't an alternative for what it is, and no amount of dodging the subject will change that. The staff are completely unwilling to compromise and I know the kind of reactions that will continue and it reall bothers me.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

the next reply from a mod will be some form of mockery/irrelevant points/saying that I'm just "whining" and that makes me automatically wrong.

Why wait for a mod? Do you ever stop going on about how badly treated you are by everyone else? Do you ever wonder why? Two words you should really get to know better are self and reflection.

Staff? Wow.

That really sums it up doesn't it.

I'll explain it in really simple terms. The forum is the internet equivalent of someone's house. The admins are nice people and left their front door open for people to come in and sit down and talk to eachother. It's a house party. You're the person that shows up drunk, pisses all over the carpets, and complains that the house is ugly and the people mixing up free drinks for you are fascists.

I'm seeing a handgesture that goes with this, sort of like tracing an invisible basketball in the air...

I was picturing the Ricki Lake-style handmovements in my head. I didn't do them in person because that would be weird :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

mike65 wrote:
    We should all be more Moddy
    mods1.jpg
    Mike.
    azezil wrote:
    this_thread_rocks.jpg

Mods and Rockers on the same thread? This could get nasty!

• Advertisement

koneko wrote:
    Staff? Wow.

I'll explain it in really simple terms. The forum is the internet equivalent of someone's house. The admins are nice people and left their front door open for people to come in and sit down and talk to eachother. It's a house party. You're the person that shows up drunk, pisses all over the carpets, and complains that the house is ugly and the people mixing up free drinks for you are fascists.

POTM btw, tbh. Will you pass the vermouth? And if someone could cut some more limes that would be excellent.

As for Rozie, leave her be. The dog will eventually get sick of her bitching and go for her.

koneko wrote:
    Staff? Wow.

I've been to hundreds of forums, don't lecture me on what they're like. And that model is most certainly NOT what it's like. I'm really tried of the "Admins and mods are such nice jolly people doing everything for the good of humanity!" act. Sorry, but after having been to many, many forums, it's a ludicrous notion to me; and I don't see how boards.ie is any different.

But first of all, the main flaw is that nobody would open their house to just about ANYONE, so there's something fishy there. Secondly, it's more akin to a group of friends, and having the more popular kids manage what happens in the group. People don't like exclusion, but that's exactly what happens here and has no problem with it.

You really have to question the motives of someone who builds a giant "house" out of the generosity of their own heart, where people can come and go freely in their hundreds at any hour.

I'm sure if someone was kicked out who was constantly excluded and kept being picked on or having unfortunate mishappenings, someone would make a sad movie about it. But here, in the "real world", it's okay?

The model ultimately fails because you really can't compare a board to a house; not everyone has a house, therefore they're FORCED into someone else's "home", as they don't have the funds to set up their own. This model then comes and bites you back in the ass if someone is treated unfairly within by the self-proclaimed rulers.

In an ideal world where anyone could create a forum of any size, and always keep contact with people on the board they were banned from(if it comes to that) and have them join, what you're saying would be perfectly fair. But it's really not how it works by a long shot.

People do get driven by power, even if it does seem silly in concept. People like to feel important, like they're doing something. As I said elsewhere, if you offer a moderator position to any n00b they'd piss their pants with joy; if all the mods are doing it out of the supposed good of their own heart, then why would just about everyone love that position? Sure there's stress, on rare occasions, but that doesn't change their motives.

And no, I'm not chalking up a big conspiracy. I've been to a lot of forums, like I presume(hope) most of you have, and have instead chalked it up to human nature, which is unfortunate.

Rozie wrote:
    If you can point me to another, similiar "all purpose board for irish people", I'll go there and shut up.
    http://www.p45rant.net/
    Rozie wrote:
    Irish people, by nature, don't complain much, so that's a bit of a moot point.
    Irish people tend to be too busy whinging to actually complain properly.

I've been to more forums than I could possibly even try to count, and I've been to plenty that are a lot more elitist than you paint this site to be.
    I've said what I wanted to say, I'm not making you agree, but I find it puzzling someone would spend time in a place they obviously hate so much. But you know what, if you want to waste your time like that, your choice, I'm not stopping you.

Talliesin wrote:

Hardly anywhere near the same size, but I'll give it a whirl anyway, thanks.

Cool - don't let the door hit you in the ass on your way out.

koneko wrote:
    I've been to more forums than I could possibly even try to count, and I've been to plenty that are a lot more elitist than you paint this site to be.
    I've said what I wanted to say, I'm not making you agree, but I find it puzzling someone would spend time in a place they obviously hate so much. But you know what, if you want to waste your time like that, your choice, I'm not stopping you.

Like I said, the main reason is, I'm stuck in Ireland for now, hate that too, and this is the biggest Irish board. Even if I left he board, I'm still essentially trapped with the same people, the UL forum being a rather literal example.

It doesn't feel good, and I'm not sure leaving would help me feel any better.

Cool - don't let the door hit you in the ass on your way out.

I can't believe you were actually so unoriginal to just say that.

Rozie wrote:
    It doesn't feel good, and I'm not sure leaving would help me feel any better.

But it might make the rest of us feel smashing.

Greater good? Something selfless? How you getting along with that door and your ass?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Rozie wrote:

http://www.p45rant.net/boards/index.php
    There you go, go knock yourself out.

[edit]Beaten to it I see.[/edit]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

i had a bad run in with a mod recently.

imo, he was prety rude and unjustified, but what can you do, you bring it up here, and you'll just get ganged up on, or banned.

Rozie wrote:
    Hardly anywhere near the same size
    Yeah, people seem to like this site. Go figure.

Or you could follow the correct procedure and take out a helpdesk ticket.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Makaveli wrote:
    Or you could follow the correct procedure and take out a helpdesk ticket.

was that at me?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

Rozie wrote:

www.p45.net Edit: oops, Talliesin got there before me.
    Rozie wrote:
    The URL.

The .ie part means that the domain was registered by an Irish company. I don't see how you can claim that it means it 'represents Ireland'. Does the website www.hosting365.ie 'represent Ireland'? How about www.google.ie? www.eircom.ie? Does www.jolt.co.uk 'represent' the United Kingdom?
    koneko wrote:
    The forum is the internet equivalent of someone's house. The admins are nice people and left their front door open for people to come in and sit down and talk to eachother. It's a house party. You're the person that shows up drunk, pisses all over the carpets, and complains that the house is ugly and the people mixing up free drinks for you are fascists.

This is exactly (almost spookily so) the analogy I was about to post. Well done that woman. If you don't like this party, you know where the door is. And if you'll look above, I've even given you an address for another party. Aren't I nice?
    Rozie wrote:
    You really have to question the motives of someone who builds a giant "house" out of the generosity of their own heart, where people can come and go freely in their hundreds at any hour.

So now Devore et al have some sort of ulterior motive for running boards? :rolleyes: Ah, a fascist website run by a load of leftie commies to overthrow the government! How fiendishly clever.
    Rozie wrote:
    The model ultimately fails because you really can't compare a board to a house; not everyone has a house, therefore they're FORCED into someone else's "home", as they don't have the funds to set up their own.

Are you trying to say you're "FORCED" to use boards.ie now?

(And you can run your own web board for the cost of a DSL connection FYI)
    Rozie wrote:
    if all the mods are doing it out of the supposed good of their own heart, then why would just about everyone love that position?

The majority of the mods on this website either know (or at least have met) the guys who own it personally, or have an interest in the subject of the forum they moderate.
    Rozie wrote:
    Like I said, the main reason is, I'm stuck in Ireland for now

The internet is worldwide - why would you feel the need to restrict yourself to websites that are predominantly to do with this tiny country?

paperclip wrote:
    i had a bad run in with a mod recently.

imo, he was prety rude and unjustified, but what can you do, you bring it up here, and you'll just get ganged up on, or banned.
    It might amaze you to know this, but sometimes people send polite PMs to moderators in which the enquire as to the reason for their ban. When it is explained to them, some of them then either argue their case in a respectful manner or apologise for the offense.

If they still are not satisfied with this they can open a help desk ticket.

It may even amaze some of the mods to know this, because it's pretty rare. I've been a mod for a good few years now and I've only seen it a couple of times.

Most people post on the Feedback forum (which is not a complaints forum) posting under the assumption that they could not possibly have been even partly in the wrong and that the moderator did what they did out of fickleness or as part of the great moderator conspiracy to make boards suck.

Sico wrote:
    This is exactly (almost spookily so) the analogy I was about to post.

Get out of my braaainnnn!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Rozie wrote:
    And did it occur to you that my attitude was largely down to impatience with the people here?
    It occured to me, maybe you just be more patient. Relax a little.

Talliesin wrote:
    I asked them, they said they'll get some consultants on it straight away. ;)

paperclip wrote:
    was that at me?

Yes it was.

Talliesin has posted the procedure there in reply to your post.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Wow, can't believe how this developed over today.

Rozie, I don't think I've ever seen a poster so oblivious as you seem to be. Nearly 500 posts and you just don't get it. Almost every large forum on the web, especially ones larger than boards.ie, are far stricter. Hell, the biggest ones charge you for the "privilege" of posting.

The sheer arrogance you're displaying is phenomenal.

Advertisement