Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mods should act more moddy

Options
  • 13-10-2005 10:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭

:D couldn't think of any better titles

anyways have a look at this post

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=3442809&postcount=4

Boards is a very strict message board compared to other message boards around the net, but mods here seem to be able to say what they want to whoever they want and its getting a bit ridiculous, the only mod i know on here that i respect is Seamus, so should mods not have their own set of rules i.e. no bad language towards any members etc
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Mods are regular users on boards they don't mod, and should be allowed to do or say as they please as long as it doesn't conflict with the forums charter.

Besides, its amp...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,143 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Pam is a moody ****er (in a good way). Welcome to boards. :rolleyes:

ampmoment.jpgamptest.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 20,941 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I have it printed out and posted over my PC.

"Be more moddy".

It's my motto.

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I wrote this post twice already.

I'm trying to say it in as few words as I can, and I'm failing. Badly. Boards.ie is a strictly moderated site, no doubt about it. Surprisingly though, given that there are over two hundred mods, I have yet to see widespread abuse of moderator powers, or consistently unreasonable moderating from but one or two moderators. Far smaller sites with far less members can't say the same.

I don't see why a moderator should act in a certain way outside of their own forum. Would you condemn a Garda for smoking weed in Amsterdam?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Not going to start a new thread for this as i realise threads cost money
    As has been stated already the Mods on Boards seem to be doing a good job and any Maverick type characters are destroyed and incarcerated before they corrupt the minds of the youngsters.

I do realise that Mods are doing the job with no rewards and in general people are crap and hard to listen.But sometimes it seems the old Mods take notions and lock threads on a whim or throw threads in the bin.Just like this one!(i bet you were wondering were the hell I was going with all this rubbish talk)
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=312070

Personally i think the thread was posted in the relevant section and had the potential to turn into a lively debate.I had some cracking points ready as well and i was devastated when it was dumped.Things like this make Pighead slightly hot and bothered.
    Right i'm off thanks for your time,oh and WDK please go easy on me.I didnt diss the Mods too badly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Pighead, I'd agree with you if you hadn't already posted 6,387 new threads on random topics in After Hours this evening.

I'd prefer to discuss the topic at hand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 978 ✭✭✭bounty

seamus wrote:
    I have yet to see widespread abuse of moderator powers, or consistently unreasonable moderating from but one or two moderators

:confused: but but but

i like big butts

ejh05z.jpg:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

seamus wrote:
    Would you condemn a Garda for smoking weed in Amsterdam?

If there were a picture of a couple of Gardai in the paper smoking weed in Amsterdam, I'm pretty sure they'd lose their jobs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

The General

The animated gif in your sig contravenes the rules of Boards.ie,
    please remove it.

On your point, mods are people and not scripts.
    IF you have an issue with any post from any poster use the report post function
    and report it to the mods of that forum.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

"Be more moddy".

It's my motto.

It should be a mission statement!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

We should all be more Moddy

mods1.jpg

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

kitty0us.jpg
    the general: look. Youve been banned a bunch of times from different forums.
    I was half arsed/search was back, I'd look through your posts and point out posts that youve made in contravention of charters/common sense.

Sure, amp gave justified abuse to some guy in the prison forum. *shrugs* who cares?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Boards is a very strict message board compared to other message boards around the net, but mods here seem to be able to say what they want to whoever they want and its getting a bit ridiculous, the only mod i know on here that i respect is Seamus, so should mods not have their own set of rules i.e. no bad language towards any members etc
    Moderators have to follow the rules of individual forums, as posted in their respective charters, just the same as everyone else. Moderators can and do get banned for breaking these charters. If you look carefully in the Prison forum, where the post you linked to is, there is no charter. If you look even more carefully, or even look at all, you'll see much 'worse' examples of posts made by non-moderators.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭The General

Thaedydal wrote:
    The General

The animated gif in your sig contravenes the rules of Boards.ie,
    please remove it.

On your point, mods are people and not scripts.
    IF you have an issue with any post from any poster use the report post function
    and report it to the mods of that forum.

animated gif gone in 2 seconds, and im not complaining about any mods in particular, its just a mod using bad language towards another member for whatever reason should not be allowed

seamus wrote:
    I wrote this post twice already.

I'm trying to say it in as few words as I can, and I'm failing. Badly. Boards.ie is a strictly moderated site, no doubt about it. Surprisingly though, given that there are over two hundred mods, I have yet to see widespread abuse of moderator powers, or consistently unreasonable moderating from but one or two moderators. Far smaller sites with far less members can't say the same.

I don't see why a moderator should act in a certain way outside of their own forum. Would you condemn a Garda for smoking weed in Amsterdam?

i suppose in a way your right but still would a guard (off duty but still in uniform) come up to me in the street and say "you are a homophobic ......." i doubt it very much

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

you know what, i will be the perfect mod, when every user becomes the perfect user.

until then, i will continue to mod as i see fit, i will continue to get annoyed by some people, i will continue to be myself, i will continue to wear my heart on sleeve occassionally, and i will make bad decisions every now and then.

and that goes for every other moderator. every now and then i comment on something if i see a trend, but over all, you know what, i have yet to see a 'bad' mod, or one that needs to be more moddy.

yes i agree with pighead that some posts are locked just because mods dont like them, and i think thats wrong, but thats not the issue here.

as for the dig at the only mod you like is seamus, well good for seamus. the problem is, is that mods deal with users every day, and your opinino porbably doesnt count for an awful lot to most of us.
    me personally, ive seen some of your posting, its usually crap, and i certainly dont respect you. so i guess were even. i just hope you dont take it as personally as i dont.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

bounty wrote:
    :confused: but but but

i like big butts

ejh05z.jpg:p

Ah FFS, man thats ugggg.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

animated gif gone in 2 seconds, and im not complaining about any mods in particular, its just a mod using bad language towards another member for whatever reason should not be allowed

what about users sending threats to other people (since you dont count mods as people)?

or did you just fancy having a whinge on the ol feedback forum?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

WWM and seamus both raise good points.

Pighead. Please cop yourself on and give up on the gimmick. It got old about two months ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

To be honest, that waste of organs deserves all he gets.
    i suppose in a way your right but still would a guard (off duty but still in uniform) come up to me in the street and say "you are a homophobic ......." i doubt it very much

If you were a known homophobe, then it'd be quite reasonable for him to do so. Read MobileInfancy's history if you don't know...

I've yet to see a mod on this do the wrong thing; I see a lot of posts from mad people about the evil fascist mods tho. Hmm.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Rozie

I personally think it's ridiculous you can be banned from a forum from anything from a few days to indefinitely for a single mess up, and what the mess up is can often be just about everything.

Far too often do the mods side with the majority of members, or rather the ones that are shouting the loudest in the biggest group, rather than making independant decisons.

The problem with harsh forums is that it makes ME act harsh, as I've been to a lot of forums with power tripper mods, so it's a gut reaction at this stage. I think in general if the place was a bit more lax and a little less uptight, everyone would benefit and it would be a lot more comfortable.

But really, this is the way the internet is going as a whole, and it's a shame. It's all about the mods doing what they want, when they want, it's for them more than the members on a lot of forums. I dont' know if I'd say this about here, but I do think the mods need to act a little more respectful.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

dublindude wrote:
    If there were a picture of a couple of Gardai in the paper smoking weed in Amsterdam, I'm pretty sure they'd lose their jobs.

Moderating a board is not a job. We don't get paid, we rarely get extra benefits, in fact we get nothing but grief most of the time.

As has been stated time and time again, moderators are only moderators on the boards they moderate. Otherwise they're just regular users. In fact, I think it might help things if a moderator's tag-thingy under their avatar only showed that they were a moderator when they posted on their moderated forum(s).

Sico wrote:
    Moderating a board is not a job. We don't get paid, we rarely get extra benefits, in fact we get nothing but grief most of the time.
    grief?
    All that coke and all those hookers makes it worth it.

what about users sending threats to other people (since you dont count mods as people)?

or did you just fancy having a whinge on the ol feedback forum?

You mods/people :D are the law around here and a few of you are going a bit overboard, if someone threatens a mod just ban them simple as

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

Rozie wrote:
    I personally think it's ridiculous you can be banned from a forum from anything from a few days to indefinitely for a single mess up, and what the mess up is can often be just about everything.

Message boards without decent moderation tend to turn into horrid anarchies.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

you know what, i will be the perfect mod, when every user becomes the perfect user.
    You won't have time to be the perfect mod when that happens. You're going skiing with a big gang of us in hell that day. It's all arranged.

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

sceptre wrote:
    You won't have time to be the perfect mod when that happens. You're going skiing with a big gang of us in hell that day. It's all arranged.
    Yeah, I thought everyone got the memo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

You mods/people :D are the law around here and a few of you are going a bit overboard, if someone threatens a mod just ban them simple as
    Did you even read the thread you linked from?

RopeDrinksAmazingRant.jpg

QED.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

RopeDrink wrote:
    **** yeah!

Advertisement