Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice Needed - May Be Going to Prison

Options
12346»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭dublinshane

bubby wrote:
    I know a lot of people on the thread have said "Keep your head down" in there. Even if its a short sentence, its got to be very difficult to find a happy medium. If you didn't make an effort to integrate then I'd imagine you could have trouble too. Has anyone actually been there, bought the t-shirt and found a happy medium?? I guess what I am asking is - what is the definition of "keeping your head down" ?

That's the thing how do you not stand out and how can you fit in without getting too involved with others who you mightn't want to et involved with at all?

Seems the posters here have managed to stay out of trouble and not get into a situation like mine. Nobody here seems to have been in jail so fair play to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭dublinshane

Interesting considering from the rest of your post your are advocating a 2 strikes and you are out policy for Shane.

Interesting are there any guidelines for the amount of compo you have to pay to get a reduction in sentence? Or is it just suck it and see and hope the Judge got his oats this morning?

Personally for me I would have to carefully weight up the pros and cons of paying some maggot huge amounts of cash for something that he contributed too. Its a really tough choice - cripple yourself and your family financially for many years in the hope of getting a coupla months off your sentence. Im not sure how I could strike a good balance with that.

Again - good luck to you.

Well my solicitor told me to consider this and I was willing to offer a certain sum in compensation. I didn't have it all there and then but it is an ammount that I can get without going into debt. This seems to happen a fair bit with these type of cases. So the judge knows the ammount I will be able to pay. He made the point that while this showed remorse it couldn't be seen as a way of getting out of another penalty. I have to have the money there and then before I get finally sentenced.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭turbot

Shane,

I've just read through this entire post.

I don't know the personal details surrounding what happened so it's not my place to pass any kind of judgement on you.

Curiously, this whole incident is making you re-evaluate your life rather profoundly... So while you are at it, you may as well decide to become a really worthwhile person and a worthwhile member of society.

You can't change what you've done, but you can set about to make what you do to be worthwhile.

I suggest you make a life long, uber-powerful decision to:
    - live well, give up alcohol, smoking, become healthy
    - educate yourself and hold yourself to a higher standard of being all the time
    - learn to meditate (seems like you're gonna have a lot of time for that)
    - figure out all the ways you can make the world a better place for having you in it

Should you succeed enough, you may even re-establish your dignity and the pride of your family.

The choice is up to you.

While you learn this lesson, learn something so good from it, the whole world benefits.

- Thomas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

turbot wrote:
    .......Hippy Shít............

And that post was meant to help shane how? Im all for a positive attitude but trite rolling out of platitudes never helped anyone. Get real.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

And that post was meant to help shane how? Im all for a positive attitude but trite rolling out of platitudes never helped anyone. Get real.
    secret squirrel: everyone has different advice, please respect that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Hitchhiker's Guide to...

Presume the lack of update from Dublinshane means that he went to prison. Poor guy (even if the sentence was justified). Hope it all goes well with him and doesn't mess him up anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Sarah**

I was actually only thinking the same myself there! I hope he is ok too...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭sideFX

bohsboy wrote:
    If its a first offence, depending of course on the severity you will end up at best with a fine or suspended sentence. Pretty difficult to get jail these days!

Jail is indeed daunting at first but no one is out to do you intentionally. My advice is to give up cigarettes as it is currency in the jail system these days. A lot of bullying will occur over tobacco. Everything revolves around "dust".

However, worst case scenario you get sentenced. Remember straight away you earn remission for good behaviour which is one quarter knocked off your sentence, so twelve months becomes nine, etc...

You are transferred to a Committal jail depending on age, i.e. 16-21 St Pats or 21+ Mountjoy. On committal you give personal details, medical details are also recorded. Change into prison attire, no cavity searches or stripping! If you treat the wardens with respect you will get 110% back and also easier jail time. Bit of an attitude and I'm afraid the system is designed to grind it down.

Keep the head down and prisoners will respect your wish to do jail quietly. The only trouble is mostly due to drug related issues so avoid at all costs, even a drag of a joint, you will end up owing someone a "favour". There is no pressure of drugs being pushed due to the scarcity in the system.

Take a course, go to school or a workshop, anything to avoid walking around the yard all day.

See the Governor on your first day, tell him if you are uncomfortable and ask to be considered for a transfer to a more suitable prison.

Above all, relax, it's not as long as it seems and know in yourself that you wont be going back!

Regards.

Some good advice there. If worst comes to worst I will just repeat wha this post said ... keep the head down and try do it quietly.

Other thing too, haven't a clue wha ye did, and I wouldn't post it either, but whatever it was get some help i.e. councillor, therapist or something .. always helps in court. And I'm not religious by any stretch of the imagination but never underestimate the power of a good aul prayer.

Best wishes ...

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Case quite similar to this in the Northside people this week, compensation given etc. There were two people involved and the judge gave suspended sentences. Don't know if that was DublinShane or not .. if it was .. hmmmm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

why hmmmm?

• Advertisement

No particular reason ... hmmmm...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

@Bubby.. yeah i read that article in the Northside People last night and i wondered if it was Dublinshane from here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Pointless specuatation and off topic postings will lead to this thread being locked and people being banned.

Do read the charter,
    have a nice day
    Thaedydal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭pbsuxok1znja4r

I read through most of the thread and was able to glean the information that DublinShane was charged with assualt and criminal damage, is that right?
    To be quite honest, I hope he does go to prison. I know it will be hard for him, but if it prevents even a single other crime of that nature, then it will be worth it. I mean, this isn't even the first time he's been up in court, ffs. He had a wake-up call.

You might think it's callous to say "I hope he goes to prison", but rather than me showing compassion to him, I reserve my compassion for the innocent people who never committed a crime, who might be saved from being attacked by some other drunken scumbag, if the message is sent out - through Shane's incarceration - that if you do this you will go to prison.

Violent, alcohol-related crime is probably the biggest problem we have in the country. The whole 'beat someone to within an inch of their life outside a nightclub while drunk' thing is just sickening, and it happens every ****ing weekend.

Assuming for a sec Shanes story is true and it was 2 drunks fighting and the other came off the worst - shouldnt they both be punished to control their drinking behaviour?

Why should 1 drunk go to prison and the other get off scott free and probably with compo? This might be better suited for humanities rather than this thread but I would suggest that the other drunk should at least be done for drunk and disorderly... now just because he's on the losing side of a fight he gets no punishment? Is that justice?
    Is that sending the 'right message'?

Good luck shane.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Uthur

I don't think you should be at risk of going to jail unless you cause a serious injury to another person. If you get in a drunken brawl and it's only a few bruises then a fine should be enough. If you dance on someone's head or knock them unconscious, that's a more serious matter and should be judged more seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Sarah**

In the northside People?? Where coz i read it the other day and didnt see any of it.

Assuming for a sec Shanes story is true and it was 2 drunks fighting and the other came off the worst - shouldnt they both be punished to control their drinking behaviour?

Why should 1 drunk go to prison and the other get off scott free and probably with compo? This might be better suited for humanities rather than this thread but I would suggest that the other drunk should at least be done for drunk and disorderly... now just because he's on the losing side of a fight he gets no punishment? Is that justice?
    Is that sending the 'right message'?

Good luck shane.

Who said it was a fight? I've seen young lads getting their faces bottled, battered, then they get floored and kicked, over and over, for nothing more than looking funny at some scumbag's girlfriend. That's not a fight.

Who said it was a fight?

try reading all the thread not 'most' of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭kc66

Dublinshane was charged with assault causing harm- this is very different to just hitting somebody a couple of harmless punches. It is a lot more serious and normally ends up with prison terms. And deservedly so imo.
    Fianna Gael were looking to make sentencing for this crime even more severe:
    "Convictions of assault causing harm in the district court would carry a minimum six-month sentence and a similar conviction in the Central Criminal Court would mean at least two years in jail."

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭JimmySmith

Uthur wrote:
    I don't think you should be at risk of going to jail unless you cause a serious injury to another person. If you get in a drunken brawl and it's only a few bruises then a fine should be enough. If you dance on someone's head or knock them unconscious, that's a more serious matter and should be judged more seriously.

So lets let all the drunken brawls happen and then we'll punish the guy who causes some brain damage when he hits a little harder than he meant to because the demon drink made him do it. :)

try reading all the thread not 'most' of it.

Sorry, I should have informed myself properly, of course, but surely you can appreciate that this is a ridiculously long thread. From your tone I take it you disagree with the hard line I personally would take against any people who commit these kinds of crimes. Well it's not like I have any real desire to see him punished, just for punishments' sake. It's only with a view to preventing other crimes. Punishment --> Prevention.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 scdub

have read this whole topic and have come up with some judgments.
    -Shane judges himself hard and rightly so.
    --other posters judge that shane is judging himself too hard.
    ---other posters judge that the previous judges are not judging Shane hard enough
    ----more posters judge that the previous judges are too judgmental
    the forum moderators judge that theres too much judging going on
    more posters judge that judging judges are too judgmental
    overall judgment - too many judges..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Dave

Your tone is a little judgemental there scdub.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

If you lot cannot stay on the original topic of this thread, then it is of no use to the OP and I am closing it
    B

im guessing since shane hasn't posted in the last while that he must have been given a custodial sentence, shane if this isn't the case pls post back here and i'll give u my email address. I spent 6 months and 3 months in St Pats when I was younger and a year in the Joy when I was 19. I am back in the circuit court next friday for sentencing on another case. I amn't too optimistic about escaping jail time. You seem really worried. If ye get in touch we could make an arrangement that if were sent to the same wing I'll do what I can to keep ye out of trouble. No promises, but I have family waiting inside so I usually have an easier time of things than most ppl.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,352 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I will remind people at this point about the usual risks of meeting strangers from the internet.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Victor wrote:
    I will remind people at this point about the usual risks of meeting strangers from the internet.

Agreed.

If you read all of this thread Shane has said he wants to keep his head down, serve his time, (should he be 'sent down') and not get involved with any bad elements. You seem to be a serial offender even though your intentions are good.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement