Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice Needed - May Be Going to Prison

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

lets stick to the topic folks
    B

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

While you are all dishing out sympathy for the OP - what about his victim - has anyone given any thought to the victim of the assault?

(apologies if previously discussed)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

Vangelis wrote:
    What kind of comment is this? You're not supposed to fling out your prejudgements about this man's crime here! I'm sure this will insult him deeply and not make him feel any better. That was not the reason he posted this thread!
    It's probably made with the same sincerity and opinion as your own. The reasons for the OP starting the thread have long since been forgotten and the thread seems to have drifted into a "hope you get on ok" type love in.

The op has also revealed enough details about the nature of the crime and the charges, which are quite serious if you care to look. In this respect an opinion on his alleged crime would seem to be justified.

If the op is insulted by the comments above, it is probably a lot less painfull for him to go through this supposed hurt, then that of his victim. I have seen little care for his victim from most replies, however most of you seem to have gotten into such a frenzy as to the concern of this convicted criminal, that you are all pratically falling over yourselves to sign up on the visitors list.

I actually wish the op no harm at all, and I do hope his time passes quickly if and when he arrives in prison. I also hope that he realises the effect of his actions on the victim and their family, and that the Judge see's fit to take this into consideration when he passes sentence.

[Edit] Well said above [/Edit]

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Vangelis wrote:
    What kind of comment is this? You're not supposed to fling out your prejudgements about this man's crime here! I'm sure this will insult him deeply and not make him feel any better. That was not the reason he posted this thread!

i've been on the receiving end of drunken violence, as i'm sure have alot of people on here, and if they were caught, i'd have no problem with them doing time, i'd expect it.

have you ever been attacked?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭chump

luckat wrote:
    DublinShane's in enough trouble without helpful comments; if he's convicted of this, bang go any chances of getting a work visa for the US, for instance.

What a silly thing to say... for all you know he could have come close to killing somebody. Or causing serious harm. Or burning a house down. Or dealing drugs to children.

Wait up, let's not convict him because we want him to be able to get a visa to the US!

To the OP I don't mean to sound harsh. I realise you've copped that you messed up and its good to see that your movng on and feel remorse.

As for the prison advice, I don't have any. But I hear if you go to one of the lesser security prisons you can bring a thing like playstations in with you. And also bring plenty of books and crosswords and stuff if you're into that :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Sorry, didn't mean to presume, DublinShane, just hope you find your way through this.

Maybe you could send in a text to George Hook's show on Newstalk 106FM and ask the same question, while not having to go on the radio and talk? Maybe you'd get some people with experience of being imprisoned ringing in there?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

This thread is getting pretty vicious , I thought chucky the trees comments were very harsh . I genuinely feel bad for you DublinShane but you know the old addage like the rest of us I aint going to fuel the fire anymore by insulting a man in the gutter its wrong. Best of luck mate but if your convicted make the best of the bad situation.

Ps: Lads and lassies seriously this guy has had it tough , he obviously knows what he has done wrong there is no need at all to continually kick him the proverbials.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Exactly as WDK said. This man is asking for advice on how to deal with prison. Let's not make comments on the acts that have him facing this predicament. Keep it on track.

dudara

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭dublinshane

As I said before I myself might have made some of the harsher points above not so long ago so I'm not really going to be too insulted by what is posted here. Have a go if you like but I'm obviously not going to go into any details of what have happened only to say that the other person involved isn't going to be winning any awards for being a great person. This doesn't change that I overstepped the mark and did wrong and have to face the consequences but it is important.

As WDK and dudara have said the reason I posted was to get information on what to expect in prison and still would like to hear from anybody who knows about that!

Shane

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭Miss Fluff

Khannie wrote:
    Did you know the person involved? Might be an idea to try and make your peace with them before the court date.

No offence Khannie, but it would be SERIOUSLY inadvisable to do that. Speak to your solicitor before even thinking of doing something like that. Could potentially jeopardise everything for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭Tobias Greeshman

Miss Fluff wrote:
    Speak to your solicitor before even thinking of doing something like that. Could potentially jeopardise everything for you.
    Someone already suggested that if you did want to do this, that you should go through your solicitor, in that case you would be less likely to jeopardise your case.

Although this topic seems to have strayed from what the OP wanted to know, about what prison life would be like and not for legal advise, which seems to be what a lot of people tend to have given here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭Fenian

I've never been to prison, not in Ireland anyway, but a few of my mates have been.

What to expect, well first off when you get there, the screws will give you trousers to small, jumper too small and a broken radio.
    You'll probably have a few knackers trying to have a laugh off ya, saying they'll take a s hit in your boots and on your bed etc.
    What ever you do do not act afraid or they'll really go at you.
    Remember it's not as bad as most people think, there are some sound people in gaol aswell.
    Do not try and act the hard man in there because you'll get your head kicked in.
    Just try and stay out of trouble, don't walk around thinking you own the place, don't let people walk all over you and you should be fine.

Hope that helps, good luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Vangelis

My point is: Dublinshane has not asked anyone here to make him feel guilty about his actions! He allready DOES. Now, stop this "Have you ever been assaulted?". That's just irritating. (But if you really want an answer: Yes, I have been assaulted - sexually assaulted! I bear no grudge against the perpretrator. Wanting revenge is no solution.) There's no need to drag him deeper down in the muck than he allready is!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Miss Fluff wrote:
    No offence Khannie

None taken. We're all prone to offering crap advice. ;)
    Miss Fluff wrote:
    but it would be SERIOUSLY inadvisable to do that. Speak to your solicitor before even thinking of doing something like that. Could potentially jeopardise everything for you.

I did mean through the solicitors (should have been clearer). Could you elaborate though? I'm intrigued.

Vangelis wrote:
    Yes, I have been assaulted - sexually assaulted! I bear no grudge against the perpretrator. Wanting revenge is no solution.) There's no need to drag him deeper down in the muck than he allready is!

You bear no grudge against the perpetrator?
    Is it even human to have that response to such a horrifc event?

I'm not so sure that's a good thing...

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Last Warning

The next poster to wander off topic on this thread gets banned.

We are not discussing victim's feelings here. Start another thread in humanities if you want to discuss that topic.

dudara

Fenian – I have to say apart from the whole being locked up and away from friends and family I’m worried most about the first few days when you are the new boy in this situation. I know you can’t show fear or it will be picked up on and you will probably get a lot of hassle but at the same time I wouldn’t want to do anything that would get me to the attention of the guards. As someone said I hope that if this happens I can more or less keep to myself for the first while until I see how things happen. I wouldn’t be surprised at a bit of stick at the start but realise that you have to handle things yourself as I’m sure grassing to the guards wouldn’t do much good.

I suppose that it’s a lot better if you have to be in prison to be there at home rather than somewhere else – wonder if the foreign people in jail get a worse time than Irish people – I’m guessing that anything that makes you different isn’t good. Had reason to be in Tallaght Hospital a while ago and there was a black guy there waiting in A&E handcuffed to a guard. He was getting a hard time from some of the other people waiting so can’t imagine it would be easy inside for whatever he was there for.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

Jeez everytime I go up to tallaght hospital which is about 3 times a year, that black guy is always there. He is always gettin a hard time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭tirl

Hi Shane
    Is this new crime related to the last one? and do you have a probation officer, if not get your solicitor to suggest that a probation officer is assigned to your case and get them to do a report, where they will take into consideration your remorse, if you are currently working etc and judges normally go with the recommendations of PO's
    T

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I'm definitely not the prison type but I'm sure that's what the guys involved with the Brian Murphy attack thought too. I've had time to think about how I ended up in this situation over the past few weeks and if I manage to get away without going to jail I'll be the most grateful guy around. I've learned my lesson big time and hope the judge will take that into account.

First of all, it's very easy to kick a man when he's down, and it's very easy to criticise someone for their mistakes if you havn't made them yourself. But for any situation, there are circumstances, and sometimes, people can not handle these circumstances, as well as they would have liked. It's a learning process, and shane appears to be a very genuine, very remorsefull individual, and it seems it was very out of character.

Shane, I too had a simular experience, I wasn't the type of person you would usually associate with these kind of actions, but I'll give the exact scenario so peple may better understand how therse things can happen.

(Firstly I would like to point out I realise I am 100% in the wrong here, I take full responsability for my actions, Im just trying to show my scenario to help people understand circumstances)

One night me and a couple of mates had a few beers too many, and what started as some friendly banter between two groups of lads in a night club turned quit vicious, and (stupid bouncers) through a few of us out at the same time, onto the street, and looked on (as it was outside the club) as a scuffle broke out.

I got into a fight with one of them, and unfortunatly gave him some serious (but not life threatining) injurys. He had a bruised head and jaw, and a black eye.

I have no idea where this came from, as I had never thrown a punch before in my life. However this all began in a club that served us 5 euro cocktails all night, then threw us out onto the street together and washed there hands of hit and made no attempt to stop it. They should have thrown us out seperate or interviend in the fight as it was 10 feet away. I feel they have a moral obligation.

I was arrested at the scene, charged with assault, spent the night in the cell, and as I had no injurys, this man was treated as a victim only although he through the first punch (missed, he was drunker than I was), and in court provecation and intoxication are not recognised as a defence.

I later went to court and ended up shelling out 500 euro in compensation, and luckily for me, it was my first and last ever offence, so I was given as a probation act, which means you have a criminal record for 2 years, and if you dont re-offend it is wiped clear.

Now I was an absolute fool for what I did, and I deserved my punishment, but to me that is not justice. Sometimes the "victim" isn't so innocent, and the club allowed a volatile situation come to a boiling point, as if we were still in the club, or if only one group was thrown out, or if we were thrown out seperatly, or if the bouncers had interviend, none of this would have ever happend.

If i had a previous conviction I would have gone to jail.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

To the OP, any idea when you'll know whats going to happen??, as in when is the case in court? (I dont expect exact dates, just vaguely).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,240 ✭✭✭Endurance Man

To the OP, any idea when you'll know whats going to happen??, as in when is the case in court? (I dont expect exact dates, just vaguely).

LOL, why would you care about that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭LundiMardi

i can't believe the amount of crap in this thread...

''Oh dublinshane, you seem like a decent chappy, i hope you pull through'' :rolleyes:

My arse!!!

IMHO - I hope you get what's coming to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Rozie

LundiMardi wrote:
    i can't believe the amount of crap in this thread...

''Oh dublinshane, you seem like a decent chappy, i hope you pull through'' :rolleyes:

My arse!!!

IMHO - I hope you get what's coming to you.

So it's not just my topics you troll, then. Show some sympathy.

Anyway, I think the "Justice" system can be really terrible. It's based on Vengance rather than logic. Whenever anyone uses the phrase "Justice" in these type of scenarios, they mean revenge.

Being cut of from the outside world is a terrible thing and very often doesn't solve anything.

I wish you the best of luck Shane and it's such a shame bad things happen to good people, and even more of a shame when it's state enforced. I wish people's emotions came more into this, with proper psychologists and therapists actually trying to sort out the problem instead of getting vengence and upholding rules for the sake of upholding them.

Just be thankful you don't live in the US :/ Pretty messed up system they have there. Things being in black and white is the main problem with the law there, and perhaps in most countries - circumstance isn't given the weight it should be given.

What I suggest you do when you're in Prison is, write about what happened to you, and the situation you found yourself in. Your feelings on what happened to you, how you felt the justice system treated you, your friends, your family, the victim if there is one, and how you think they feel. Even if you don't go to Prison, it's still an idea. Capture all your emotions and experiences so you know how all this effected you, and what to do and not to do again.

When you're done, feel free to share it with the world, or with us.

Rozie wrote:
    So it's not just my topics you troll, then. Show some sympathy.

Anyway, I think the "Justice" system can be really terrible. It's based on Vengance rather than logic. Whenever anyone uses the phrase "Justice" in these type of scenarios, they mean revenge.

How do they mean vengeance? What does justice mean?

Being cut of from the outside world is a terrible thing and very often doesn't solve anything.

It's not a good thing, but is that a bad thing?

I wish you the best of luck Shane and it's such a shame bad things happen to good people, and even more of a shame when it's state enforced.

Who's a good person, what's the bad thing?
    Being punished for a dangerous and unlawful act is a bad thing?... and even worse because instead of vigilanties carrying out a punishment we have regulated state enforcement?

I wish people's emotions came more into this, with proper psychologists and therapists actually trying to sort out the problem instead of getting vengence and upholding rules for the sake of upholding them.

You want to spend our countries entire resources paying for minor criminals to undergo expensive psychological examinations, whereas what alot of them might need is a good kick up the arse?

Just be thankful you don't live in the US :/ Pretty messed up system they have there. Things being in black and white is the main problem with the law there, and perhaps in most countries - circumstance isn't given the weight it should be given.

Circumstance? Drunkeness? Fit of rage?

What I suggest you do when you're in Prison is, write about what happened to you, and the situation you found yourself in. Your feelings on what happened to you, how you felt the justice system treated you, your friends, your family, the victim if there is one, and how you think they feel. Even if you don't go to Prison, it's still an idea. Capture all your emotions and experiences so you know how all this effected you, and what to do and not to do again.

When you're done, feel free to share it with the world, or with us.

Did you write a Leaving Cert essay on this sh!te? Or do you plan to?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭LundiMardi

Rozie wrote:
    So it's not just my topics you troll, then. Show some sympathy..

So i see you're still bitter cos you're ****e... Do me a favour, don't even refer to me in this thread because it's completely pointless....mmk?
    Rozie wrote:
    I wish you the best of luck Shane and it's such a shame bad things happen to good people,

Have you read the thread at all?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Lundi
    Banned for 1 weekd ro personal insults.

Chump you are being warned re personal instults and off topic posting.
    a reocurrance will get you banned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭hepcat

To the OP - again, I've never been there but know one or two who have. They haven't emerged from the experience scarred or anything, but have that experience with them. Prison is crap, but if you keep you head, its most definitely do-able. Take what you can from it, as in courses/training. Stay healthy and away from any sh*te, and try and give up the smokes - but not the end of the world if you don't. Try roll-ups - a pack of tobacco lasts ages compared to cigs. If it happens it will be a life experience - part of your life. But in the bigger scheme of things, it does not have to affect your future prospects badly - unless you are thinking corporate / gov job and bleached-white lifestyle. Deal with it, and come out a bigger person.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

LOL, why would you care about that?

Because Im wondering how the long the guy is going to be kept in suspense. The waiting is something that I dont think Id handle well!

• Advertisement

Guestposter – Thanks for posting your experiences. I have to say that your situation is similar enough to mine so it was good to see that somebody has a good idea of how things that you don’t expect can happen. I don’t know if you at any stage you had to deal with the prospect of ending up in jail because of that – probably not if it was you’re your first offence - but that has obviously been the worst part for me. You said at the end of the post that you would have got jail if it hadn’t been your first offence so that is where we have a difference. Were you in District Court or Circuit Court? Hope things have turned out well and I hope that at the end of the 2 years you have a clear record.

Trotter – Coming up in the District Court later this month. The case might be heard there or it could be sent to the Circuit Court (more serious). If it gets heard in the District Court it will probably be dealt with in November or so – if it is the circuit court it is more complex and it would probably be early next year when it comes up although there would be a few days in court before then. The waiting is hard to handle. In one way I want things to hurry up to put me out of the worry and to allow me move on but obviously I want to put off the day when I get sentenced as I know that I will probably end up in prison and have to cope with that. It just is on my mind all the time and it is hard to concentrate on much else.

Hepcat – Well I always thought that I could achieve whatever I wanted in terms of jobs but probably need to be more realistic now. I hope I could continue with what I am doing now but it may not be possible. If I end up in there I think I will use the time to do some sort of a trade thing as I think if things go badly and I have problems getting work later on it would be easier to work for a small business or I could do something on my own. Maybe a bit old to be learning a trade but I’m sure it would be useful in any case.

Loads of people are mentioning the smoking. Don’t think I am in the right frame of mind to give up now (smoking more lately) – thought most people in prison smoked anyway! Never really tried roll ups before but I suppose they might have to do.

Rozie – Good suggestion I am spending time writing stuff down and if the worse happens might do that. I have found out that there isn’t much out there for people in my situation so I could do something about that. To be honest, I am not that angry with ‘the system’ but maybe feel that’s its unfair that I have been caught two times when I’ve screwed up while others can get away with worse things over and over again without being caught and getting punished.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement