Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Celtic Poker Tour: Quick update

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Tackle69 wrote:
    [

Hey, fair play to you. you hit the nail on the head, i went in the last night for a bit of fun, a few drinks, and it cost me a bit, but so what..... it was about the same as a good night out. ie. getting completely langered.... i can the point of view of poker players here who are in it for the money.... i just wish they could see mine and others for whom that is not necessarily the point of view...

The problem with this is that you are the type of person we make a living off, with the CPT taking that amount of money out of the poker scene every time they run a tournament we cant play in, you will all be broke before we've had a chance to take your money

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,124 ✭✭✭NickyOD

Tackle69 wrote:
    I can the point of view of poker players here who are in it for the money.... i just wish they could see mine and others for whom that is not necessarily the point of view...

So what you are saying is its not about making money but having an enjoyable night out. Hmmm. I think I'm gona set up my own tour. 200 players. €50 euro freezeout. €500 for 1st. €300 for second €100 for 3rd. Runner up gets a bottle of whiskey. Spot prizes for best dressed lady and silliest mustache. Think that will work? Sound like a great ****ing night out to me!!

There's a line to be drawn and 40% rake is so far over the line its criminal.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,955 ✭✭✭Degag

NickyOD wrote:
    So what you are saying is its not about making money but having an enjoyable night out. Hmmm. I think I'm gona set up my own tour. 200 players. €50 euro freezeout. €500 for 1st. €300 for second €100 for 3rd. Runner up gets a bottle of whiskey. Spot prizes for best dressed lady and silliest mustache. Think that will work? Sound like a great ****ing night out to me!!

There's a line to be drawn and 40% rake is so far over the line its criminal.

Theres a big difference between €500 first prise and €5000

Damn straight its not about making money, but having a good night out, and if you do make a bit than all the better.

Tackle69 wrote:

Damn straight its not about making money, but having a good night out, and if you do make a bit than all the better.

Ok so what do you think is a fair amount of rake to pay on a self deal tournament?

NickyOD wrote:
    Ok so what do you think is a fair amount of rake to pay on a self deal tournament?

OK, Lets say they make €20000, i'd expect 7 for the winner, 3 for 2nd, 2 for 3rd and maybe 3 or so devided up into other prizes..... yes, the irony is not lost on me that the above is a full 3 grand more than the fund in killarney, but i don't particularily care. i can see why ye do if ye play tournaments just to win money, but i don't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 dexem

Tackle69 wrote:

I think you might be getting a bit of a hard time, but in the main I agree with the majority of the posters. Sure have a fun night out and all, but you may as well be playing for matches as real money if it's just about the craic.

A lot of boardsters take their poker seriously, and if you compare Tour A where things are run well, and you have a good bit of craic out and get 60% pay back of your winnings with Tour B, where things are also run well, but get 80% back, and have people with whom you can discuss any issues you have, which would you go for?

dexem wrote:
    I think you might be getting a bit of a hard time, but in the main I agree with the majority of the posters. Sure have a fun night out and all, but you may as well be playing for matches as real money if it's just about the craic.

A lot of boardsters take their poker seriously, and if you compare Tour A where things are run well, and you have a good bit of craic out and get 60% pay back of your winnings with Tour B, where things are also run well, but get 80% back, and have people with whom you can discuss any issues you have, which would you go for?

Hey, i totally agree with you, but where i'm from, poker tournaments, or indeed not much more comes along very often, so therefore when a person has only one option..........

Tackle69 wrote:
    OK, Lets say they make €20000, i'd expect 7 for the winner, 3 for 2nd, 2 for 3rd and maybe 3 or so devided up into other prizes..... yes, the irony is not lost on me that the above is a full 3 grand more than the fund in killarney, but i don't particularily care. i can see why ye do if ye play tournaments just to win money, but i don't.

I don't play poker just for money. Of course entertainment is part of it, but I don't expect to have a string quartet playing beside my table as much as I expect all non-reg fees to go into the prizepool. If you have no problem with being treated unfairly by a tournament organiser then you need to wake up. Go to a tournaments in the Fitz or a Pokerevents Suprsat and maybe you will. It's quite obvious you have no experience of a properly run tournament, otherwise this discussion wouldn't be happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Lplate

Tackle69 wrote:
    Hey, i totally agree with you, but where i'm from, poker tournaments, or indeed not much more comes along very often, so therefore when a person has only one option..........

Maybe I'm presuming too much Tackle, but if you played the CPT in Killarney then are you from the surrounding area? If so, there is a state of the art card room in the town where you can play tournaments 3 times a week. 10% is taken out of each pool to go towards the league final (so it is still coming back to the players), other than that all entries are paid out on the night. You'll have dealers at every table and can have a drink if you want to. 064-30057 is the number if you want details. Come along one night and bring your friends..you'll all be very welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭JustMac

Lplate wrote:
    Come along one night and bring your friends..you'll all be very welcome.

LOL

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭Spiritus

NickyOD wrote:

Nicky.

Can I suggest that you make the tourney a rebuy one though I would hate to think that you would end up running the thing at a loss, also I would like to be able to bet (against the house of course) on the flop coming all black or all red. Furthur, what happens if there is a well dressed lady with a mustache? I know this may be stretching things a little but I would just prefer if all the terms and conditions of this 'side competition' were clear from the start. Does that mean she is eligible for BOTH prizes? I think that is a bit unfair as (a) I don't have a mustache (b) am not a lady and I may not be able to change the status of either without investing a lot of time/effort into the process.

Just my 2c.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,567 ✭✭✭patmac

Hi
    Like Tackle69 I found this site on Google and found it very informative, it directed me to pokervevents in Athlone of which I've played about 5 times and to be honest didn't get the run of cards so I'm thinking despite all the negative stuff written here of playing the Raddisson on Friday night as an alternative. Who are green joker events? Have they a website?

Lplate wrote:
    Maybe I'm presuming too much Tackle, but if you played the CPT in Killarney then are you from the surrounding area? If so, there is a state of the art card room in the town where you can play tournaments 3 times a week. 10% is taken out of each pool to go towards the league final (so it is still coming back to the players), other than that all entries are paid out on the night. You'll have dealers at every table and can have a drink if you want to. 064-30057 is the number if you want details. Come along one night and bring your friends..you'll all be very welcome.

Is that the former cue club? i heard it was converted...... i might just do that some night, cheers.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

patmac wrote:
    Who are green joker events? Have they a website?

They have a website,Or you can PM Mike/shortstack for more detail's.Mike needs to get his finger out and update the website.
    http://www.greenjokerpoker.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭Shortstack

Dub13 wrote:
    They have a website,Or you can PM Mike/shortstack for more detail's.Mike needs to get his finger out and update the website.
    http://www.greenjokerpoker.com/

Finger permanently stuck at the moment :D

Current and Upcoming events:

Mondays - The 4 Seasons Monaghan €25 re-buy 8.30pm
    Tuesdays - Whytes, Stamullen €20 re-buy 8.30pm
    Thursdays - The Europa Hotel, Drogheda €25 re-buy 9pm
    Fridays starting 18th Nov - The Black Raven, Skerries €25 re-buy 8.30pm

Who needs a website when you have boards?

Mike,I may be popping out to your event tomorrow....as a railbird.:(

These kind of pub games are all over the place now.I just heard an add on the radio of a game in Dublin (not CPT).Adds on the radio for a poker tourament...talk about poker now being in the mainstream.

Advertisement