Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Guess who is playing the freshers ball

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

GStormcrow wrote:
    26/9 DCU Freshers Ball

Thats what it says on Republic of Loose' website. I'd be very happy with that
    Why would you be happy with it? Republic of Loose are good, but the Revs headlining? That's just a ****in joke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 361 ✭✭Redegg

hmm i do like ROL from what i remember from witess 2003(?). oh they are supporting alabama 3 in london. go them. so if they are playing i will definitely go although I always do... oh a squirrel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

Republic of Loose....... ha ha ha ha ha ha! They play in UCD Student bar around 17 times a year!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭Polly19

Orienation week starts 19th?Our calenders on the portal page say orientation week is 26th and freshers week is 19th

What stupid people are having freshers start back later then the rest of he college?Last year it was first years who started back first :(

heres what calender on dcu.ie says:

ORIENTATION & REGISTRATION OF 1ST YEAR STUDENTS Mon 19 Sept - Fri 23 Sept

ORIENTATION DAY FOR EXCHANGE/JUNIOR YEAR ABROAD (JYA) STUDENTS Tue 20 Sept

AUTUMN FACULTY AWARD BOARD FOR RESEARCH DEGREES Wed 21 Sept - Fri 23 Sept

LATEST DATE FOR PUBLICATION OF EXAMINATION TIMETABLE (Oscail) Fri 23 Sept

BEGINNING OF SEMESTER 1 - START OF LECTURES Mon 26 Sept

Polly19 wrote:

Orienation week starts 19th?Our calenders on the portal page say orientation week is 26th and freshers week is 19th

What stupid people are having freshers start back later then the rest of he college?Last year it was first years who started back first :(
    :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭bragan

Polly19 wrote:
    heres what calender on dcu.ie says:

ORIENTATION & REGISTRATION OF 1ST YEAR STUDENTS Mon 19 Sept - Fri 23 Sept

ORIENTATION DAY FOR EXCHANGE/JUNIOR YEAR ABROAD (JYA) STUDENTS Tue 20 Sept

AUTUMN FACULTY AWARD BOARD FOR RESEARCH DEGREES Wed 21 Sept - Fri 23 Sept

LATEST DATE FOR PUBLICATION OF EXAMINATION TIMETABLE (Oscail) Fri 23 Sept

BEGINNING OF SEMESTER 1 i.e freshers week - START OF LECTURES Mon 26 Sept

Maybe you should look at this again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,821 ✭✭✭✭28064212

OK, officially, I checked the new Clubs and Socs brochure thing they published, Fresher's ball is 29th of September. Thursday of Fresher's week, same as every other year. Either ROL have been misinformed, or it's a misprint which should read 26/9 Fresher's Week DCU
    Polly19 wrote:
    Our calenders on the portal page say.....
    Whereabouts on the Portal page did you see this?

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

28064212 wrote:
    OK, officially, I checked the new Clubs and Socs brochure thing they published, Fresher's ball is 29th of September.
    My saviour!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Ah thats ok then...well the date is anyway, the Revs headlining is still a big pile of meh.

Ah thats ok then...well the date is anyway, the Revs headlining is still a big pile of meh.
    Read the whole thread, the Revs are playing on Monday the 26th as well ie not the Fresher's ball. Sounds like a good Monday though, ROL, the Revs and Leya, if the rest of the week is as full, it's going to be a great start to the year

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

28064212, who are you? On RB?

ROL are much better than The Revs gig wise, I'm pleased.

28064212 wrote:
    Whereabouts on the Portal page did you see this?

When you go into students on the main page along the side itll give u an option of timetables and calender.Go to the 2005/2006 calender and its there

Last year we had freshers week the week the first years orientated,all the freshers concert and that was the week before everyone else started back so this year they must have decided to arrange it differently so excuse my confusion :P

Or I could be getting it wrong again but I remember orientation week we had the freshers ball or some big ball on the thursday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,342 ✭✭✭markpb

Polly19 wrote:
    Or I could be getting it wrong again but I remember orientation week we had the freshers ball or some big ball on the thursday

Disorientation ball?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 fresher2005

yeah i heard that's happening on the thursday of orientation, there's a freshers bbq on the wed too afaik

heard aswell that damien dempsey is headlining the freshers ball which is on the thursday of freshers week :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

Oh for Jaysus' sake that's worse than the effing Revs!

like it or not damien dempsey has the biggest draw at the moment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

no he doesnt, he's shyte, rowlin down te dubelin taeun......

not the most exciting act to listen to either

Nah, he's just proof that most Irish people haven't an effing clue and will make a pop star out of anyone. Just look at You're a star and Glen Hansard.

so what you're saying is that most irish people will be happy then?

i dont know what the other bands are but i'm sure there'll be something you'll like
    why dont you email the su with suggestions?
    no point bitching if you won't do anything about it

• Advertisement

Now you're just assuming that I didn't do that.

28064212 wrote:
    Read the whole thread, the Revs are playing on Monday the 26th as well ie not the Fresher's ball. Sounds like a good Monday though, ROL, the Revs and Leya, if the rest of the week is as full, it's going to be a great start to the year
    I meant the Revs headlining anything is bad. :D

Meh, these new singer/songwriters are all meh in my opinion and they certainly shouldnt be the main performer at an event which is meant to be lively..

true, i did assume. apologies

So you're saying that if I mail the SU asking them to put on Complan, Pocket Billiards and The Freebooters they will?

/me does the dance of death

ya never know! i'm a repeat fresher. i started marketing in DIT last year and i hated it so i'm doing CA now but my mate know's someone in the DCUSU this year and he says they're pretty sound.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 377 ✭✭biteme

wow dcu is full of people that just moan...

I agree that the Revs are crap and probably shouldn't be allowed play guitars.

But with regards to the other bands. i think it's good that the new ents guys is trying to bring in bands that are doing well at the moment. This includes Damien Dempsey who was fairly up the bill at Electric Picnic last weekend.

It's never gonna be easy to please everyone for a college gig so you have to go to the lowest common denominator, which tends turn into the most popular band at the time that's affordable. I am interested to find out who's playing during freshers week. Can't just be Revs, Damien Dempsey and ROL...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭eyebrows

thin as lizzy all the way

*me waits for my verbal raping*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

why not go foreign with a choice of bands????

While I'm all for everyone having their own tastes in music I just find it annoying that the Ents Guy would be stupid enough to have a singer/songwriter type musician such as Damien Dempsey headline an event which is meant to be fun and lively and good craic rather than the snorefest it will probably be when he comes on.

God forgive me for saying this, but even Aslan would be more lively than Damo Dempsey.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭cooker3

ok I will forgive you

Heh, well at least Aslan got a great reception when they played at the Freshers Ball when I was in first year. They got the crowd going and despite the fact that I'm not a big fan of their music I must admit they made the night more enjoyable when they came on...enjoyable in the Venue anyway.

Do agree with the whole it should be lively thing, which is why the Revs didn't bother me. Wouldn't mind Dempsey as a support, but definitely not headlining. Speaking of lively bands, what about the Saw Doctors? No other band will get you in as good a mood. Or Christy Moore would be class, bit out of DCU's league I'd say. The Polyphonic Spree would be interesting, doubt the SU could afford to put them up though. Although, it looks like res will be fairly empty....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

OFDM wrote:
    Get the Ross Noble guy. saw him on Channel4 the other night. Very good but a bit slow for the first 10-15 minutes.
    I'm heading to see him on Wednesday, he's great in concert but I reckin he'd be far too expensive to get for DCU... we'd probably get stuck with that Dave McSavage moron...

we did have des bishop last year and karl spain. a great show. saw both at electric picnic. :rolleyes:

Are you always this insightful, or are you just having a good day?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,721 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

According to my little handbook thingy i got (i read it, being an eager little first year) the freshers ball is on the 29th of sept

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

I have the booklet here in front of me. Info as follows:

Orientation Week: 19th-23rd sept
    Freshers Ball Thurs 29th of Sept
    Clubs and Socs Day Wed 5th and thurs 6th Oct.
    Then Halloween etc.

Should be fun!

[edit] woops [/edit]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

Jesjes wrote:
    I have the booklet here in front of me. Info as follows:

Orientation Week: 19th-23rd sept
    Freshers Ball Thurs 19th of Sept
    Clubs and Socs Day Wed 5th and thurs 6th Oct.
    Then Halloween etc.

Should be fun!

I presume you mean 29th of Sept for Freshers ball.

• Advertisement

Jesus more typos...

Can we get this clear please, WHAT DATE IS THE FRESHERS BALL? :rolleyes:

It's obviously the 29th Faceless Man, I mean, come on ffs.

Jesus I need to get this name changed...

WELL I DON'T KNOW JEZJEZ MAYBE I WAS DISTRACTED BY THE CONSTANT FLASHING OF YOUR CAMERA IN MY FACE? :D

OMg, I so only have like ONE picture of you, and that was at the summer ball, and you USE that pic nows!

PEople, you need to appreciate what I am doing for you.

Photographically documenting your college experiance.

Pfft, I don't use it, its used by others...I need to dig out a better one to be honest, that will put an end to all this. :D

OK it's been announced, Damien Dempsey is headlining the Fresher's Ball. There's an article in InDublin written by (I think) the Ents officer. Someone connected to the SU anyway. It didn't say what date it was on, just an out-of-context 'Thursday', but they also said they were expecting 2000 students, and I don't think there'd even be that many on campus for orientation week

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭kirn

so what about republic of loose?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

I think Republic of Loose are playing UCD freshers ball this year. If I'm wrong they are playing something out in belfield anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

They're playing DCU like next week too €10 admission.

Gonna go to it I think, should be good... anyone else?

Ahhh was talking and he said that rodrigo and gabrialla are playing DCU!?! if this is true I will wet myself.

Rodrigo y Gabriella?

**** YEA!

• Advertisement
Advertisement