Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guess who is playing the freshers ball

Options
  • 29-08-2005 3:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭

the revs hav announced their tour and DCU is down for the 26th.. horray. :(
    like really there are many other bands the could have got.. turn or even the republic of loose.. stupid DCU.. same crap different year.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

ah so what all them rock bands are the same anyway

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

Ah all that techno sounds the same as well :P

Yeah, didnt anyone read the mail we were sent about the new ents guy? He manages/managed the Revs and a few other irish bands. I mean, at least we have someone decent this year.

Imo The Revs are good for a college gig tbh, they're really happy music and boppy, it'll be grand, sure there's always a DJ afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

For dregins benefit...
    16:24 <@gizmo&gt; let me gues, Micky Hart as support?
    :rolleyes:

I didn't think the Freshers Ball was the first week of college though, maybe they're just playing in the bar? :D

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

http://www.therevs.com/gigs.html on the 25th of Sept?

That makes no sense. Freshers week is the week 2 or something...

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

That's absolutley no reason for him promoting his own agenda. He's employed to provide a service to DCU not push his **** acts onto the event bills.

• Advertisement

For dregins benefit...

:rolleyes:
    Eh, right.

Mon-26th - The Hub -DCU, Dublin
    Doors-10pm
    Support: Leya
    Tickets €10
    A few things wrong with that...

The Freshers Ball would NOT be on a Monday and would NOT be the first week back for people.
    If it was the Freshers Ball doors would NOT be open at 10pm.
    If it was the Freshers Ball tickets would NOT be €10 and available to the public..

Moral of the story...they're NOT playing the Freshers Ball, or at least the Freshers Ball isnt on that night...

That is of course that info is right. :D

Yeah it's far too early in the year.
    Wonder how much these tits are gettin paid for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭Redegg

hmm id say a good 300-400 euro. thats a guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭eyebrows

why dont they ever get any good bands like the metallica tribute band metillicha(or something like that). they never get any good tribute bands. I'm sure there's loads of rock/metal 'ers in DCU and these bands wouldn't cost that much so the entry fee wouldn't be too expensive.

• Advertisement

Find a price for them and I'll see what I can do ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

tribute bands?? to be honest i'd prefer anyone original to a tribute band anyday.

give the ents man a chance, i think some of your expectations are too high to ever be happy though

who would you all be happy with?

VinnyL wrote:
    tribute bands?? to be honest i'd prefer anyone original to a tribute band anyday.

well I'd rather see a good tribute band playing good music than some shít original band playing crap. anyway my point is why there is never any rock/metal tribute bands at all. surely you could have your crap original band one day and then some other day get eirn maiden or someone.

The bootleg beatles fockin RAWK!1 I'm doin RB ents so I don't have as many people to please, but the guy's gonna have to appeal to a seriously widespread music taste to be fair. The easy way out is getting a tribute band. I wouldn't get them for a major event like that chilli ****ters tribute headlining the Summer ball, but they're ok for smaller events imho.

Bulls on parade are damn good too.

dregin wrote:
    I wouldn't get them for a major event like that chilli ****ters tribute headlining the Summer ball, but they're ok for smaller events imho.

exactly

• Registered Users Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

dregin wrote:
    The bootleg beatles fockin RAWK!1 I'm doin RB ents so I don't have as many people to please, but the guy's gonna have to appeal to a seriously widespread music taste to be fair. The easy way out is getting a tribute band. I wouldn't get them for a major event like that chilli ****ters tribute headlining the Summer ball, but they're ok for smaller events imho.

Bulls on parade are damn good too.

Yeah, bootleg beatles sound good, but a metallica tribute? Eh, no, you're alright thanks.

You can't just go-

"OmOPFmoGFMo! Metal !11 omg I'm never going to any event that has a metal band"

Everyone should be catered for at some stage I think. The bootleg beatles are insanely expensive from what I can remember.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Danger_Dave

Some people have short memories. Revs were meant to play at the Xmas ball, What happend to that ball ?....Cancelled because poor ticket sales. Now there doin it for Freshers. As soon as i saw that the new ents guy manages the revs i knew theyd be playing in dcu and we might if were lucky get to see them twice this year. Also not only did our xmas ball get cancelled.Similar thing happend to them when they were playin in templemore for the student Garda, guess what happend less than 100 people showed up for the gig, rest of the students went to the pub.

Sorry just pissed off we have to listen to the revs :( , Ahh its only a band the night will still sell out and a great laugh will be had by all.Its gotta with all us Boards members litterd about,come on :p

Here, I think it's time we had a proper piss up tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,494 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Some people have short memories. Revs were meant to play at the Xmas ball, What happend to that ball ?....Cancelled because poor ticket sales. Now there doin it for Freshers. As soon as i saw that the new ents guy manages the revs i knew theyd be playing in dcu and we might if were lucky get to see them twice this year. Also not only did our xmas ball get cancelled.Similar thing happend to them when they were playin in templemore for the student Garda, guess what happend less than 100 people showed up for the gig, rest of the students went to the pub.

Sorry just pissed off we have to listen to the revs :( , Ahh its only a band the night will still sell out and a great laugh will be had by all.Its gotta with all us Boards members litterd about,come on :p
    It wasn't the Revs fault the Xmas ball didn't sell out. They're a relatively high-profile Irish band. The problem lay more in the direction of the SU and the organisation of it. For example, I was planning to go, but I didn't get a ticket because I thought there's no point getting one til the night. It was the same with the nightclub in the Helix. Expecting students to get tickets early is a bit mad. And didn't the SU Ents officer get sacked around that time, so everything was a in a bit of disarray. Besides, the Xmas ball is probably the least popular and lowest profile ball in DCU.

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Advertisement

High profile or whatever, they only got it from the money Sony pumped into them. They are easily one of the worst Irish bands going.

dregin wrote:
    High profile or whatever, they only got it from the money Sony pumped into them. They are easily one of the worst Irish bands going.
    In your opinion. Personally I don't think they're all that great either, but they're still enjoyable. Although, it'd be great to see more gigs with smaller followings, bands like Berkeley etc.

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

Listen tank. You were using their high profile as a reason that they should play, and I think that most people will agree that they only have the profile they have because of the money that Sony threw at them.

dregin wrote:
    Listen tank. You were using their high profile as a reason that they should play, and I think that most people will agree that they only have the profile they have because of the money that Sony threw at them.
    Unlikely. If they did, the charts wouldn't be dominated by Pop/R 'n' B crap. From the point of view of an ents officer who has to cater to the entire student body, a band's profile is a very important thing to consider when booking them. If not the most important.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

Lots of people might know them and lots of people know that they're complete cack.

Amz wrote:
    Lots of people might know them and lots of people know that they're complete cack.
    Lots of people like them as well. OK, suggest some bands that you think should headline the Fresher's ball. Attainable bands obviously, I don't think The Pixies are interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

If we're talking about popularity WRT to the Revs then there are plenty of bands about who would have the same level or greater popularity/pulling power. I'm just going to list bands and before B decides to extract the urine I'm not suggesting these because I particularly like them, or anything ...

Berkley
    Dudley Corporation (Don't they have a song in the charts, or something? So they're definitely known)
    Chalets (likewise)
    Warlords of Pez
    Neosupervital
    Giveamanakick
    Complan
    Classic Beatles
    20 Bulls Each
    Bulls on Parade

To be honest I don't think the Fresher's ball is where there's a problem. That's almost always guaranteed to be packed, its things like the Christmas ball etc. where the problem lies.

What event had the fun fair last year?

I had to leave that around 11:30 and the Headline act (Classic Beatles) hadn't even come on stage because they had some DCU band on for aaaaaaaages, just doing cover versions. That's not what I spent my money to see. I'm all for supporting DCU bands, but could they not have put them in the Old Bar and gotten a better known/more established band in the Venue? Most people stay in the Old Bar and that would be better exposure for a DCU band than shoving them in the venue, which had thirty people max. in it. All standing upstairs or against the back wall.

The Hub was practically empty. The "fun fair" consisted of a glorified merry-go-round and to be quite frank Frank it was boring.

There needs to be better promotion of events, people don't get excited about the events. How does the Socs. ball manage to sell out so quickly? It's because it's built up for weeks in advance, people are made to look forward to it. Why can't that level of expectation surround the other main DCU events, Christmas ball, Celtic ball etc.

Ugh, I'm fed up having this discussion, I've been in DCU for 3 years and the same problems arise every year and since I've started the standard of entertainment seems to have dropped to the point that you can almost predict that Paddy Casey, the Revs, or Mickey Harter are going to make at least one appearance during the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

*Shouts* More comedy acts please! Des Bishop is doing a new tour - hint hint.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭OFDM

NoelRock wrote:
    *Shouts* More comedy acts please! Des Bishop is doing a new tour - hint hint.
    Get the Ross Noble guy. saw him on Channel4 the other night. Very good but a bit slow for the first 10-15 minutes.

• Advertisement

Don't forget the really good cover bands...Big Generator are bloody excellent, as are Blue Moose. Hell BG even managed to fill The Big Tree on a Tuesday night. The place was bloody empty until 10mins before they were due to come on so it wasnt exactly a coincidence.

But yea the Freshers Ball isnt really the problem, its the other events. And who said the Christmas Ball can't be just as high profile as the others? All it needs is the same level of promotion and quality acts as the other events. The Xmas ball from 2 years ago was great craic.

Anyway every SU Ball event I've gone to has been great craic, its what you make of it really. If you dont like the music then go off with your mates and have some fun elsewhere in the Hub. Remember you only get 12 of these events during your entire time in college, we should be making the best of the either way me thinks...

Advertisement