Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overrated/Underrated shows

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Actually I forgot to throw Futurama in there, definition of under-rated!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭tvnutz

SebtheBum wrote:
    Absolutely agree. I watch CSI(s), but mainly cos my bruv loves em and everyone else seems to watch em. Overrated I'd say.

Dunno bout Without Trace, haven't seen much if any of that tbh, but Cold Case is absolutely, positively, marvellously brilliant. One of my favourite Crime drama programmes, if not my fave.

Without a Trace is very very good,great cast,great writing,you should give it a chance. Id say buy the dvd but its a 100 euro in Virgin :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭Boo-yah

Actually I forgot to throw Futurama in there, definition of under-rated!

Your right there, Ted. Futurama is infinitely better than The Simpsons has been for years. Zapp Brannigan should have his own spin off show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Over-rated:
    Little Brittan - it's just the same old non-sence over and over again.
    Nip/Tuck - it's OK, but hardly anything that spectacular.
    All the CSIs - they just are.

Under-rated:
    The Wire - So few people even know about this show and it's one of the best TV shows ever conceived.
    Southpark for the last few years - It just gets better and better and yet main-stream TV (well Sky) have abandoned it after introducing it to us in the first place.
    Spaced - If you've watched it then you'll know. If you haven't, then try and find it.

Yep...The Wire is brilliant,you have to love McNulty. So cool.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭TCamen

Under rated: Line of Fire - used to be shown tuesday nights on rte2, a cross between some of those detective shows and "The Sopranos"

I thought 'Line of Fire' was a poor 'The Wire' clone -- it had some good actors on board but didn't seem to quite deliver on the potential of the pilot.

RE: CSI - I think the original Las Vegas is the best of the CSI series, the rest aren't up to much -- though I easily prefer 'Without A Trace', Anthony LaPaglia is a far superior lead than any of the CSI leads!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

Overrated:
    Nip/Tuck

Underrated:
    Spooks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭limerick_man

Overrated - soaps ... all soaps!
    Overrated - British Comedy... all British (non stand up) "Comedy"

Underated - (cant believe no one said this yet) Big Brother
    Underrated - King of queens (except in every other country... it seems)
    Underrated - TV3 News

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Underated - (cant believe no one said this yet) Big Brother

It is so overrated that boards has a complete section devoted to it. :mad:
    Underrated - King of queens (except in every other country... it seems)

Overrated in america like so many other american Sitcoms (ie. Shows like Everybody loves raymond).
    Overrated - British Comedy... all British (non stand up) "Comedy"

Yeah but then they come up with some great comedies like Fautly Towers and The Smoking Room. But yes IMO their is alot of dreadful british sitcoms.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,350 ✭✭✭Morgans

Underrated Comedies

The Royle Family
    Peep Show

Overrated

Max and Paddy
    Lots of Monty Python sketches - films are justifiably praised
    Little Britain

• Advertisement

Overrated: Frasier. I like a little bit of Frasier once in a while but it's a little too critically acclaimed for my liking.

Underated: Wondershowzen. A new enough show that I think is a good watch. Not many people seem to watch it though.

"Kids on the street, kids on the beat, Beat Kids. Beat Kids"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Nimrod's Son

Teachers doesn't get the credit it deserves IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭seabee

TCamen wrote:
    I thought 'Line of Fire' was a poor 'The Wire' clone -- it had some good actors on board but didn't seem to quite deliver on the potential of the pilot
    Ya, I felt that it came to nothing in the end unfortunatly.
    What channel was "The Wire" on? I havn't seen it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭TCamen

What channel was "The Wire" on? I havn't seen it.

It's currently in Season 3 on TG4 Mondays @ 10.30pm (about halfway through at this stage). They have repeated the show from the beginning in the off-season so you might get lucky when S3 finishes.

F/X on Sky (ch289) have shown S1 + S2 (I think), but I'm not sure if they repeat it.

S1+S2 are on R1 DVD but they are expensive 'cos it's HBO.

I think Scrubs is underrated,in the US anyway.

And The Wire is worth buying,even if it is 75 euro :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭SprostonGreen

I agree with a lot of posts here:

Overrated:

Sex in the city
    Eastenders
    Little Britain
    The Simpsons

Underrated
    Six Feet Under
    Peep Show
    Top Gear
    Dr Who

The post above inspired me.

Overrated: Top Gear. Jeremy Clarkson is a twat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Vok

Damn! How do you people know all these shows?

Never seen Freaks & Geeks, Firelfly, Dead Like Me, Joan of Arcadia, Wonderfalls or half of the other stuff mentioned here so all I can add is that I saw two shows last night, that were on way past most people's bed time, that everyone should have an opportunity to see. Namely, Peep Show and the Wire.

Peep Show is reminiscent of Arrested Development in that it's more chuckle-friendly than laugh out loud. But no worse off for it.

But, the Wire. My God, why hasn't the UN passed a resolution to proclaim this the best show ever written? The scope and complexity of the issues it tackles is mind-boggling and the cast is superb but it's the awe-inspiring dialogue, paricularly the kinetic, poetic Baltimore thug-speak, that makes me want to slurp it up like ramen noodles.

I haven't even seen the first or second series. And maybe only 3 episodes in total of this third season but I can't believe that entertainment of this quality is being kept hidden from the masses.

Yes the Wire is amazingly written...speaking of it,has anyone seen the HBO mini-series, "The Corner"? It was equally brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Neuro

I saw Arrested Development for the first time last night; what a crock of s**t!

Not well known != Funny

• Advertisement

Neuro wrote:
    I saw Arrested Development for the first time last night; what a crock of s**t!

Not well known != Funny

Intelligent humour is not humorous to the unintelligent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 629 ✭✭✭sterculelum

Underrated:
    Fair City
    Arrested Development
    Curb Your Enthusiasm (not quite underrated, but doesn't have a big enought following in Ireland)
    Seinfeld (see above)
    Oprah
    Ricki
    The Office
    Are You Being Served?
    Blizzard Of Odd

Overrated:
    Eastenders
    Jerry Springer
    Stew
    Can't think of more.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭irishcsifan

tvnutz wrote:
    Without a Trace is very very good,great cast,great writing,you should give it a chance. Id say buy the dvd but its a 100 euro in Virgin :p
    without a trace is on sale in HMV

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

Underrated: Rescue Me - It's a great show and im glad RTE picked it up because its helped gather a fanbase for it over here, it still doesnt get the credit it deserves though.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭thejovialhost

SofaKing wrote:
    Overrated: The Simpsons, Family Guy, Lost, Desperate Housewives

Underrated: Arrested Development, The Shield, Oliver Beene, Deadwood

:confused: Sweet jesus!!how can you mention arrested development and oliver friggin beene in the same breath???? :mad: A.D. kicks ass wile O.B. is well, without resorting to expletives...RUBBISH
    Family Guy IS NOT overated

anyone remember OZ??great stuff, wish i'd seen more of it-made me stay up so late!!TG4 gets all the good stuff (used to in this case)

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭seabee

TCamen wrote:
    It's currently in Season 3 on TG4 Mondays @ 10.30pm (about halfway through at this stage). They have repeated the show from the beginning in the off-season so you might get lucky when S3 finishes.

F/X on Sky (ch289) have shown S1 + S2 (I think), but I'm not sure if they repeat it.

S1+S2 are on R1 DVD but they are expensive 'cos it's HBO.

Thanks TCamen, i'll keep and eye out for it.

Did someone say Fair City was underrated? Good God! Soaps are bad enough,but never in my life have i seen one so badly written,acted and directed than Fair City. Its cringeworthy. :p

:confused: Sweet jesus!!how can you mention arrested development and oliver friggin beene in the same breath???? :mad: A.D. kicks ass wile O.B. is well, without resorting to expletives...RUBBISH
    Family Guy IS NOT overated

anyone remember OZ??great stuff, wish i'd seen more of it-made me stay up so late!!TG4 gets all the good stuff (used to in this case)

Oliver Beene was a good little comedy,but no AD! and ye Family Guy is not over rated,just brilliant :D

I never actually saw Oz,I wonder if TG4 will show it from the start again? If i had the money id buy the dvds,ive heard its very good. Most HBO stuff is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 629 ✭✭✭sterculelum

tvnutz wrote:
    Did someone say Fair City was underrated? Good God! Soaps are bad enough,but never in my life have i seen one so badly written,acted and directed than Fair City. Its cringeworthy. :p

I know. All the better. it's awful, but unmissable. So bad it's good, in other words.

• Advertisement

Overrated:

Big Brother

Star Trek

Buffy

Little Britain

Top Gear

Sex in the City

Pokemon

The Office

Any soap

Underrated: