Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overrated/Underrated shows

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

When you get it, I want to watch it too!
    Haven't seen it in ages, you'd think SOMEBODY would air repeats of it (given that we're subjected to endless cyclical repeats of Simpsons, Futurama, Star Trek, Stargate etc etc)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,115 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Just about to watch the last episode of F&G. I don't want to, cause it'll be all over, but yet I so want to... Same with SFU, watching the last one will be like ripping off a plaster.

I find it very hard to classify anything as over or underrated, but Peep Show is perhaps the funniest thing I've ever seen and not everybody seems to have even heard of it.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Agreed, Peep Show is absolutely brilliant!

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

SebtheBum wrote:
    When you get it, I want to watch it too!
    Haven't seen it in ages, you'd think SOMEBODY would air repeats of it (given that we're subjected to endless cyclical repeats of Simpsons, Futurama, Star Trek, Stargate etc etc)

Yeah I'll let you know! ;) I don't think they aired the whole season in America. :eek: I really don't understand Americans some times!! :cool:

Overrated - The Office. or That Arrested Develpoment show. Just can't get into those shows at all!

Under-rated: Samurai Jack. It was way ahead of it's time :(
    Aw man, I totally agree. I even got a weird enjoyment from watchin' it on TG4 - there's something indescribably hilarious about hearing Samurai Jack's nemesis boom out "Samurai Amadain!!!" :D Fantastic animation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Daelus wrote:
    Overrated:
    'The Simpsons' - Never saw the appeal of this.
    'Little Britain' - Has anyone else noticed that they just repeat the same jokes in every episode? Or is it just me? Matt Lucas is definitely NOT a comedic genius. :p
    'Family Guy' - It's not witty, the humour is just random and stupid.

Totally agree,

simpsons is totally over rated more **** episodes now than good ones.
    little brittain gets on my nerves makes me want to puke when i see that so called comedian yet everyone seems to like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Under-rated:
    The Smoking Rooom
    The Adventures of Brisco County Jr
    The Channel 4 News

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭TCamen

Or does having a big audience automatically make it over-rated?

I would see 'The O.C' as being overrated, along with 'Dawson's Creek' not because they had/have mass appeal, but the OTT marketing/PR once the shows gained a decent audience. It's part of the reason I think S2 of 'The O.C' was so poor initially -- it believed its own hype. Same with S2 'One Tree Hill', talk about rubbish.

So not so much because of mass appeal or critical acclaim but the saturating media blitz associating with such shows is what makes me think 'overrated'.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭OFDM

Boo-yah wrote:
    South Park( most people stopped watching after the 3rd/4th series.It's as good as ever, way better than the 1st series in fact)
    I blame Ch4/TV3 for not advertising that they were showing a new season when the 5th season came out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭OFDM

SebtheBum wrote:
    Aw man, I totally agree. I even got a weird enjoyment from watchin' it on TG4 - there's something indescribably hilarious about hearing Samurai Jack's nemesis boom out "Samurai Amadain!!!" :D Fantastic animation.
    Damn TG4 to hell for buying all the good cartoons like Samurai Jack and Justice League, showing them in Egnlish for a short while just to get you hooked and then screwing you by dubbing them into Irish.

Damn you TG4, damn you to hell.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭spooydermot

overrated:
    -simpsons (now)
    -seinfield - just never saw the appeal of these very irritating people who populated the show
    -curb your enthusiasm - see above

under-rated:

-spaced
    -angel
    -firefly
    -how do you want me? -> fantastic show with dylan moran from a few years back, i'd love to see it out on DVD

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

dubbing them into Irish.

I think they showed all of each of the series of cartoons in English as they showed them in Irish.

I.e. On tuesday you would get english and on thursday at the same time you would get Irish.

I mean its not really their remit to show english lanuage cartoons. I mean lets face it they have crossed that line a good few times already.

In fairness you don't need much Irish or English for Samuir Jack.
    The Adventures of Brisco County Jr

Totally Underrate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭MorningStar

Overated: Any of the CSI shows.
    They are some of the most ridiculous shows on TV. People sensitively gathering fragments of a fabric thread with mounds of hair not even tied back let alone in any kind of net. When did lab teches get the ability to question and hunt down criminals? Why are we meant to think a short little red head bloke is scarey?

Underated: Joan of Arcadia, Dead Like Me
    Both a bit girlie but well written and smart thinking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭Boo-yah

I wouldn't say The Simpsons now is overrated. Most people know that it's **** now. The old ones are classic. When I say The Simpsons is my favourite show, I'm talking about The first 9 or 10 seasons. The rest are garbage. It's a completely different show now.

Underrated: Louis Theroux's Weird Weekends. Best documentary show on t.v.

-how do you want me? -> fantastic show with dylan moran from a few years back, i'd love to see it out on DVD

Yeah, I only discovered this a few weeks back, and was amazed I'd never heard any mention of it before.

I'm going to go against the grain and say that The Simpsons is now underrated. There were two genuinely funny episodes in the last series, which is more than there were in the previous four years, yet people constantly witter on about how lousy it is nowadays. If people didn't keep on saying this like it was news to anyone, two episodes a series would not be enough to garner it underrated status, if anyone is still following me (or The Simpsons).

I also have to say that the latest series of South Park, with perhaps one exception, is complete dog-muck, and even having it in the TV listings is overrating it.

I'm unsure of how to class 24. It's tremenduously awful, and I know this to be the case, yet I still watch every episode - don't ask me why. Anyone who says it's (still) great television is severely overrating it, but anyone who says it's not worth watching (which it kind of isn't, in the same way Pringles aren't worth eating) is underrating it.

I also have to say that the latest series of South Park, with perhaps one exception, is complete dog-muck, and even having it in the TV listings is overrating it.
    QUOTE]

I thought this series was actually quite strong. The baseball episode with Randy Marsh was a classic, as was the war between heaven and hell one:
    "This battle is epic, about 10 times more epic than that battle at the end of the third lord of the rings film".

The only one I wasn't fond of was the one with the asian singer called Wing, but even that had it's moments.

Edit: I screwed up the quote :)

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Overrated:
    - Green Wing (not funny.. not clever.. just crap!)

Underrated:
    - Spaced (hilarious and extremely unique!)

PS - a lot of people are quoting Freaks And Geeks as their most underrated sitcom.. i sincerally recommend Undeclared - created by the co-creator of F and G, Judd Apatow. The show is absolutely hilarious - a lot of Freaks and Geeks regulars are in it. Seth Rogen (Ken Miller in F And G) has a starring role. And we get cameos from Busy Philipps (Kim in F And G), Martin Starr (Bill in F And G) and Samm Levine (Neal in F And G). Not to mention appearances by Adam Sandler, Ben Stiller and Will Ferrell. And they went down the same line as F and G with the DVD - absolutely loads of extras! Seriously highly recommended for anyone who liked F And G.

Basquille's right about 'Undeclared'. Great show and definitely underrated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭TCamen

Underated: Joan of Arcadia, Dead Like Me

Both 2nd seasons sank without a trace, which is a pity because I thought they were both far better than their first seasons *shrug* US viewers.. :confused:

Boo-yah wrote:
    I thought this series was actually quite strong. The baseball episode with Randy Marsh was a classic,

What?? Seriously? That was, with the possible exception of Osama Bin Laden Has Farty Pants the most dreadfully unfunny thing they've ever done. One lousy joke over and over... ah well, as long as someone liked it :)

I have to try and see an episode of Undeclared. I'm not to type to order a DVD if I've never seen the show.

• Advertisement

Yup I liked that episode (Randy is probably my favourite SP charachter). I also like Osama Bin Ladin Has Farty Pants :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

the michael jackson episode was so funny,it was so cruel as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭call_me_fish

startrek... more then 2 hours a day watchin ppl with their spinal cord growing on their heads :eek: :eek: :eek:

Overated: Any of the CSI shows.

IMO if you have only ever seen Miami and New York then yes CSI is overrated.

But CSI:Crime Scene Investigation is far superior to either of these shows. I have watch Miami with people who had never seen CSI and until they had seen CSI they would beleive me that CSI was a good show.

So go watch CSI:Crime Scene Investigation, the orginal series.

(Oi! no tvnuts :D )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭MorningStar

Elmo wrote:

But CSI:Crime Scene Investigation is far superior to either of these shows. I have watch Miami with people who had never seen CSI and until they had seen CSI they would beleive me that CSI was a good show.

No I saw the lot and they are all equally silly. It's just baddly updated Quincy with silly lighting. I get it is a TV series but the idea that CSI offices have terrible lighting and yet they have three 40inch plasma to use as monitors is so well past suspension of disbelief. The use of urban legends for stories are also a sign of lazy writing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭tvnutz

Elmo wrote:

lol...sorry have to comment...Miami is the best,Caruso rocks jsut for being a shaping idiot,NY is next,come on Gary Sinise is cool. Grissom bores the arse off me. As does the setting of the show,dark and drab vegas. Sorry,could'nt resist.

But honestly,overall,they are overrated,all of them. I watch them,but they aren't complusive viewing. Without a Trace and Cold Case are far better.

tvnutz wrote:
    lol...sorry have to comment...Miami is the best,Caruso rocks jsut for being a shaping idiot,NY is next,come on Gary Sinise is cool. Grissom bores the arse off me. As does the setting of the show,dark and drab vegas. Sorry,could'nt resist.

But honestly,overall,they are overrated,all of them. I watch them,but they aren't complusive viewing. Without a Trace and Cold Case are far better.
    Absolutely agree. I watch CSI(s), but mainly cos my bruv loves em and everyone else seems to watch em. Overrated I'd say.

Dunno bout Without Trace, haven't seen much if any of that tbh, but Cold Case is absolutely, positively, marvellously brilliant. One of my favourite Crime drama programmes, if not my fave.

dark and drab vegas

I said no. CSI:Crime Scene Investigation, is far more intellegent then the SPIN OFFS. And the one liners aren't half as bad, as the Tidal Wave of One liners coming from Miami.

Is there a site with all of the one liners?

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭seabee

Over rated: Bo Selecta,Little Britain - Both are alright to start with but you soon get sick of them...same characters...same stupid catchphrases

Under rated: Line of Fire - used to be shown tuesday nights on rte2, a cross between some of those detective shows and "The Sopranos"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭tvnutz

Elmo wrote:
    I said no. CSI:Crime Scene Investigation, is far more intellegent then the SPIN OFFS. And the one liners aren't half as bad, as the Tidal Wave of One liners coming from Miami.

Is there a site with all of the one liners?

no,no bad tvnutz! :D Agree to disagree mate :) and those one-liners are great! Its not a hit and run....Its a MURDER!!!!!!! Dun Dun Dun :D

Advertisement