Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overrated/Underrated shows

Options
  • 15-08-2005 11:56am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭

What shows do you think are underrated/overrated?

Overrated: Malcolm In The Middle. I don't hate the show, I just think it gets way more credit than it deserves. It should've ended 3 years ago.

Underrated: Arrested Development. Why isn't this the most popular show on t.v.?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Overrated: Malcolm In The Middle. I don't hate the show, I just think it gets way more credit than it deserves. It should've ended 3 years ago.

I don't know, I don't think it is overrated. I rarely hear anyone talking about it except for me. I think it has an average rating.

Overrated shows: Soap Operas (Coro St, Emmers, Fair City, Eastenders etc) they should have ended after 3 years on the air.

Underrated shows: Freeks and Geeks, alot better then Malcome IMO should have to more then one series. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Overrated: Malcolm In The Middle, Desperate Housewives, All Soaps, Will & Grace, Nip Tuck, The OC, One Tree Hill, 24
    Underrated: Freaks And Geeks, Undeclared, Arrested Development, The Inside, Ed, Firefly

Will add more later.. all i can think of right now!

PS - i'd like to warn in advance that NO FLAMING should start due to disagreements in shows.. these are just our individual opinions. If you favourite show is listed.. take it with a pinch of salt and move on!

• Moderators Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭LFCFan

Overrated: The OC
    Underrated: Arrested Development, Curb your Enthusiasm (When is this back?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭TCamen

I think many of the overrated series in recent years have been the ones that got cancelled particularly:

Freaks And Geeks
    Undeclared
    Wonderfalls

I watched all of F+G and while it was a good series, I don't think it warrants all the praise it's still getting years later. Undeclared and Wonderfalls just weren't good at all.

Overrated popular series:

Dawson's Creek
    The O.C
    The West Wing
    Deadwood

Underrated

Arrested Development
    Firefly
    The L Word
    Everwood

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭StonedParadoX

Dead like me was underated when it was on

whens arrested development on?.. i have the album if its the same people.. doubt it though?

overrated
    simpsons
    firefly
    enterprise if its still on?
    The oc

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭Boo-yah

Overrated: Family Guy. I can't believe I forgot to mention FG. I think this may be the king of overrated shows. I just don't get it at all. Granted there are a couple of funny moments per episode, but there is so much crap to wade through

Underrated: Freaks And Geeks, Futurama, South Park( most people stopped watching after the 3rd/4th series.It's as good as ever, way better than the 1st series in fact)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Overrated: The Simpsons, Family Guy, Lost, Desperate Housewives

Underrated: Arrested Development, The Shield, Oliver Beene, Deadwood

I don't think you can call cancelled shows over rated most people never heard of them, and by default they are underrated.

I don't think you can call cancelled shows over rated most people never heard of them, and by default they are underrated.

Underrated in Nielsen terms by default yes, but I think the topic can certainly include series that are critically overrated or overrated by the public or a smaller set of fans that wish to extoll their virtues.

Case in point being Family Guy -- it wasn't a ratings success, but with DVD sales and fan support (and a renewal) it has reached a lofty position that some may consider undeserving, ergo: overrated.

The cancelled series I cited are (with exception of 'Freaks and Geeks') average series that were canned because of poor rating figures, yet can be seen and heard about on various "The Best Show You've Never Seen" lists (and message board threads), which to me, is overrating them.

I separated out the 'overrated popular series' as they are shows, imo, that get good ratings (or did at their peak) yet are/were overrated in their public success and critical reviews.

Yup, that's a good explaination of the term 'overrated'

Overrated: Lost. I like Lost, but I don't think it's half as good as people say it is or anything like that. I am much more of a comedy fan myself so maybe I'm not the best judge.

Underrated: Clerks: The Animated Series. It got slated in America, but I liked it.

Underrated: Gareth Marenghi's Dark Place. Only saw 2 episodes but I laughed hard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Neuro

Overrated:
    - LOST - It's nothing more than trees shaking in the distance for Christ sake!
    - Friends - More like your six most annoying co-workers.
    - All Star Trek series after The Next Generation.
    - Little Britain
    - Bo' Selecta
    - Sex in the City
    - The Sopranos
    - The West Wing
    - 24 - 48, 72, 96 etc...
    (More to come)

Underrated:
    - Monkey Dust
    - The Comic Side of 7 Days
    - The Mark Steele Lectures
    (All of the above first appeared on the BBC comedy proving grounds of BBC3)

Overrated/Underrated HBO special

Overrated

The Sopranos
    Deadwood

Underrated:

The Wire
    Six Feet Under

I *like* The Sopranos, but it's not The. Best. Show. Ever :rolleyes:

Overrated: Little Britain. Nothing but a bunch of stupid catch phrases, imo.

Underrated: The Tick. That was a funny show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Nimrod's Son

Boo-yah wrote:
    Underrated: Gareth Marenghi's Dark Place. Only saw 2 episodes but I laughed hard.

That was a fantastic show. Why it never got more praise I'll never know. I don't think it helped that Channel 4 never repeated it. It probably had to make way for dross like Big Brother.
    I think Peep Show and Spaced are other ones which didn't get all the kudos they deserve.

Alot of the problems with overrated shows are that most of the underrated shows do become overrated by fans.

Generally shows that are AXED after a series are underrated but also very bad shows.

US Television Stardards have gone up. Where before there where alot of bad shows now there are very few AND those that are below standard are actually not that bad.

While I like LOST, DH and 24 (excluding series 4) I can see that they are all very much overrated.

IMO Freeks and Geeks remains at the top of my underrated shows, it was a pity others didn't get to see a genuine Teen Drama/Comedy, Instead of this OC sh1t.

Overrated: Buffy The Vampire Slayer. I never liked this show

Underrated: Spaced.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭p~b

overrated
    *stargate
    *star trek
    *angel

underrated
    *that 70's show
    *monk
    *king of queens

• Registered Users Posts: 9,127 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Overrated: Little Britain
    Underrated: Third Watch

• Registered Users Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Over rated : Big Brother

Under rated : CSI miami and las vegas

• Registered Users Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Over-rated: Little Britain. While I chuckle at some of the sketches, I don't see the hype that everyone else does. I would say Big Brother but to call that a show would be insulting to television.
    Under-rated: Samurai Jack. It was way ahead of it's time :(
    The Invisible Man was another one for me. Pretty enjoyable show, but like most shows nowadays, cancelled.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Overrated
    Lost, Friends, Little Britain, Bo' Selecta, Sex in the City, Big brother, The Simpsons, Family Guy, Desperate Housewives

Underrated
    Firefly
    Invader Zim

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭beanyb

I dont think you can count shows like the OC, One Tree Hill and Dawson's Creek as over-rated.

Basically, because most fans of them (like me!) will admit that they arent "good" shows. They're mindless entertainment, they arent trying to be critically acclaimed, just a bit of fun! Or does having a big audience automatically make it over-rated?

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭irishcsifan

Over rated : Big Brother

Under rated : CSI miami and las vegas
    totally agree with you there.
    csi is completly under rated by RTE
    over rated
    lost
    big brother

• Registered Users Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭tvnutz

I can't say I agree with Lost being overrated,but thats probably because I saw it before all the hype.

The OC is overrated,as is the simpsons.

Underrated: Veronica Mars,Carnivale,The Wire,Buffy/Angel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

underrated- 8 simple rules. what a show

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Yep, Enterprise was so overrated! So overrated that it was cancelled because everyone thought it was shít.

Who rates The OC? It's entertaining trash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 432 ✭✭Daelus

Overrated:
    'The Simpsons' - Never saw the appeal of this.
    'Little Britain' - Has anyone else noticed that they just repeat the same jokes in every episode? Or is it just me? Matt Lucas is definitely NOT a comedic genius. :p
    'Buffy' - As much as I love the show, it is NOT the most well-written show ever, as many of the fans make it out to be.
    'Family Guy' - It's not witty, the humour is just random and stupid.

Underrated:
    'Gilmore Girls' - This show has the most amazing dialogue I have ever heard. It's just so refreshing.
    'Spaced' - One of the best British comedies, very original and fresh.
    'Angel' - People too often refer to it as "the 'Buffy' spin-off", but it's so much more than that. Very well-written, a lot better than 'Buffy'. I'd say it's almost on par with 'Firefly'. Not quite, though.
    'Six Feet Under' - Brilliant, brilliant show. I haven't seen many people clamouring over it as they have with 'The Sopranos', though.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Overrated - The Simpsons *runs and hides*

Underrated - That 70's Show & Freaks & Geeks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

Freaks and Geeks was f**king brilliant. Can't believe it got cancelled after only, what was it, 2 seasons? Criminal.

That 70's Show isn't underrated tho, everyone I know thinks that's great...

And yeah, the Simpsons has become pretty abysmal, for the last couple of seasons or so.

OVERRATED: The OC

UNDERRATED: Spaced would've been my choice about 2 years ago, but everyone knows it now (I preferred when it had a cult following, as I was a member of a cool cult following, which doesnt happen to me nearly enuff :( :rolleyes: )
    So I spose I'll go with Firefly. Absolutely Deadly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

SebtheBum wrote:
    Freaks and Geeks was f**king brilliant. Can't believe it got cancelled after only, what was it, 2 seasons? Criminal.

No, after only ONE season!!!!!!!! Yeah, want to get it on DVD but it's only available on Region1 format. Looks like me having to get a multiregional player. :rolleyes:

Advertisement