Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US: Lost Theories... *Spoilers*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 744 ✭✭✭angry_fox

loon wrote:
    i'm a bit confused...

why is everybody dismissing the purgatory theory. surely, in the simplest terms, good vs evil. if you are good but do something bad (but not too bad) or bad and do something amazing (eg save a life) you will have to spend time in purgatory to decide the outcome of your soul.

i also believe that the monster is i fact 'death' or 'god'... you see where i am going with this. those that have already died have had their fates decided, such as boone giving his life to save others, whilst the others are still choosing... with the exception of locke who has actually become possessed by the entity (in a good way). if you concentrate on locke he seems to know too much about the others and is trying to steer them in the right direction, eg charlie is a drug addict, obviously a sin, and locke 'saves' him.

these are just my musings, but if anyone has any ideas/thoughts... :confused:

Always thought the show had something to do with Lost souls.....

but if locke is possessed by the entity why did he run off when he brought Boone back to the camp and start banging on the metal thing saying this wasint supposed to happen,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

angry_fox wrote:
    Always thought the show had something to do with Lost souls.....

but if locke is possessed by the entity why did he run off when he brought Boone back to the camp and start banging on the metal thing saying this wasint supposed to happen,

Good point but I think you have to look at the episode as a whole he didn't consider the whole vision/dream 'cause in the dream we see boone and the plane but remember Boone was cover in BLOOD if Locke is possessed he didn't interpret the full dream he was given the choice of either lettin' Boone get in the precarisouly blanced plane or tell the others & get them to help...

Locke was being selfish for his own ends and needs maybe thats why his paralysis came back as he got to the plane... Boone also questioned locke on why they hadn't told the others yet about the hatch...

I think you have to look deeper than what you see and analyse every sentence. It's anoying at first 'cause you do miss things but thats why man invented vcr's and dvd recorders....

Have fun trying to come up with something :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 744 ✭✭✭angry_fox

trishw78 wrote:
    Good point but I think you have to look at the episode as a whole he didn't consider the whole vision/dream 'cause in the dream we see boone and the plane but remember Boone was cover in BLOOD if Locke is possessed he didn't interpret the full dream he was given the choice of either lettin' Boone get in the precarisouly blanced plane or tell the others & get them to help...

Locke was being selfish for his own ends and needs maybe thats why his paralysis came back as he got to the plane... Boone also questioned locke on why they hadn't told the others yet about the hatch...

I think you have to look deeper than what you see and analyse every sentence. It's anoying at first 'cause you do miss things but thats why man invented vcr's and dvd recorders....

Have fun trying to come up with something :D

Suppose Locke used Boone just the same way as Locke was used by his dad,

But at the end of the day i havint a clue whats going on, so many questions but no one has the anwers, thats what makes Lost great,

Anyone use the numbers in the lotto yet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

the writers have said they are not dead.
    and there are other survivors

btw what did everyone think when boone is on the radio he says: we're the survivors... and the reply is no! WE are the survivors of flight 815? when i first heard it, i was pretty freaked.

anyway only another 2 weeks till new eps!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭tvnutz

Call_me_al wrote:
    anyway only another 2 weeks till new eps!

actually there is a new episode on Monday at 10.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 385 ✭✭loon

this is essentially what i meant... i was merely calling it purgatory for a one word answer.

also with regards to locke, if he has been possessed by god or an angel etc... as on earth, god is the all powerful creator, he can if he chooses heal the sick, stop world hunger etc, but does not due to our own free will. if this is the case, locke could 'save' everyone but enevitably we have to make our own choices. he can however sway people in the write direction.

with regards to the numbers, could the writers merely be in league with the lottery in an attempt to get avid fans to bet on them because they have a 'special' meaning?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭TomTom

I'm putting my thoughts in any order they come to me here.

I heard that bit too, that there are more survivors and i bet that the girl jack met in the bar will be his counterpart of the other survivors from the other side of the island.

Also it's very unlikly its purgutory. the writer said it was not, why would children like walt end up in purgutory with others who have killed people. Killing someone means you go straight to hell.

I think evryone has their own perception. there are several writings and books out there about islands and the battle of good vs evil. even an old lost book that believe that there was an island based in the magnetic north where all four contenents (really old theory) converged and lead into hell. The island was there to wage the battle of good vs evil. At the start of the show walt and lock are playing backgamon and locke tell walt about the game being so old and black v white in a way can represent the old idea of good vs evil.
    Also adam and eve had a black and white stone. Science vs faith.

Another thing the intrgues me, i'll put it spoilers in case some have not see parts.
    Ethan comes after aaron but not walt. The others came after walt and not aaron. We know there is something bad about aaron from the psysic and walt appears to be a good kid. I think there are two factions of others on the island. One good and bad. Although through clares flash back we know daniella was present when she was abducted I think she might have been the one that helped clair get free. I think she is neutral.

Locke does appear to have some connection with the island and its guiding him, looking out for him. Thats clearley obvious when he started to loose the power in his legs as they came to the plane and boon had to go up. He got the power back when the plane had fallen. I think his carachter was lead to believe that the island wanted him to solve a puzzle but maybe he beginning to realise that there is two factions to the island espically as he is terified when he comes face to face with the security system thing. And also if it was one entity on the island why would it want locke to open the hatch. Maybe to release something it needs or something the good faction had locked away.

I reckon hurley, walt and locke will be three of the biggest interisting carachters in the second season. hurley believes that are all there due to him.
    Oh and another thing. Walt burn down the first raft, which appeared to be a piece of crap. He did not object to much to the second bigger one and told his father they had to go. Maybe he knew that he had to go for a reason. Spoiler:
    The reason possible being that the others needed him. The others that took him did not appear to be that bad, maybe its a battle for survival and they desperate time require desperate measures.

Also i think the number are a big thing at the moment but in the end will have a logical explination.

The noise the woman said sh recognised sounded very like a chain being wound out on a pully. Not sure of that yet. I thing the security system is some sort of machnical/spiritual thing
    I read this on another forum, i did not spot it myself. When the engine blows up at the start of the series you can see a black cloud of smoke swoup down and just as it passes the engine it blows. Right when jack is helping clare. Look back at it, its freaky. Like the black smoke you see come out of the ground when kate throws the dynamite into the hole locke is boing pulled into. Not sure kates reason on the island, apart from being hot of course.
    It very annoying when people put in spoilers for no reason ain't it.
    Just a few thoughts.

ok ok.. just need to get one thing straight.. i was using purgatory as an expression for the place between heaven and hell... but from now on i'm going to call it limbo.

with regards to christian beliefs: Most people die as adults. When they were newborns, they suffered from original sin. However, an infant is saved from this state at baptism. Once a person reaches the age of accountability, any future mortal sin can cause them to lose their salvation, so that they would be sent to Hell at death. However, by confessing their sin to a priest in the Sacrament of Penance, if one is genuinely committed to never repeat the sin, one's salvation is restored.

therefore, aaron obviously has not been baptised and does anyone know if walt has?

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭TomTom

not a clue, but i doubt if sawyer, kate or sayed went to confession to report their murders before they took their flight. Hence they would have been straight to hell.

angry_fox wrote:
    Suppose Locke used Boone just the same way as Locke was used by his dad,

Good thinkin your slowly gettin' there :D
    angry_fox wrote:
    Anyone use the numbers in the lotto yet?

yes, I did no luck maybe I'm not THE ONE I'm still gonna try the Euromillions ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

Toms Quote
    I read this on another forum, i did not spot it myself. When the engine blows up at the start of the series you can see a black cloud of smoke swoup down and just as it passes the engine it blows. Right when jack is helping clare. Look back at it, its freaky. Like the black smoke you see come out of the ground when kate throws the dynamite into the hole locke is boing pulled into. Not sure kates reason on the island, apart from being hot of course.

You are so on the money there about the black cloud, because you see
    black clouds again as you say when they are gettin the dynamite. The hatch is obviously the others living quarters and they certainly dont look like scientists from the last ep.

TomTom wrote:
    not a clue, but i doubt if sawyer, kate or sayed went to confession to report their murders before they took their flight. Hence they would have been straight to hell.

i wish it were that simple... sayed i guess is muslim, and any act in the name of allah is forgiven especially during wartimeeg those suicide bombers and the whole of the crusades. with kate and sawyer its a little trickier, especially as we do not know their whole life stories. they may have done something really good as well as the murders (and i don't think kates was really a murder and we'll find out more later)...

... example, if you shoot dead a man with a bomb strapped to his chest who is about to run into school, you will have committed murder but at the same time saved lots of children. ie you have done both good and bad deeds, hence you end in 'limbo'(my new word for it)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭saintsaucey

Wow i love all these suggestions. Even the ones that get repeated over and over and over.

Before i started watching the show i liked the purgatory theory. But now that I own the dvd set i think it's highly unlikely.

I really like who ever suggested the Brian Porter theory. Bloody Brilliant.

As for Anna Lucia. She will be joining the cast. As will some actor who was in OZ. I think he either played a doctor on Oz or he will Play one on this show.

I have to admit i didn't catch rose saying she had heard the noise before. Or the fact that she was from the bronx.

It's possible that Locke knows Hurley's name (Hugo) because he is his boss. even if hurley doesn't know locke worked for his company there is a chance that Locke had seen a memo with Hurley's picture on it saying that the company had been bought out.

We still don't know what caused Locke's paralesys do we. It wasn't a complication of the surgery as I had originally assumed when He woke up in the hospital.

I liked Anna Lucia when they showed her in the flash back. Its probably the only character she's played that i did like.

Having watched all the eps on dvd and seen the special features i wish they had encluded the Greg Grunburg Emeile DeRaven flash back. I love gregs other characters in other shoes i have seen.

I nearly teared up when Sawyer told jack the story of meeting christian.

thats all from me for now

trishw78 wrote:
    Didn't the writers say in the 'revealed' show that the idea came from Survivor but instead of there being a 'challenge / reward & and vote out' what if it was real & and the last person was the winner reality tv gone a bit psycho...

Where do you draw the line between reality & fiction

as I've sugessted this in a different thread this idea got me thinkin what if the the writers just gave away the whole show in one simple comment that we may have over looked. the security system is just that a way of either keeping people off the island or keeping people from gettin off the island...

I realise this maybe one of my more whacky ideas but it's a little more grounded in reality than Aliens and time travel...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Shabadu

I completely disagree, wdk. The hatch is not the others dwelling imo.

wait a minute... its sooooo obvious now...

whats actually happened is that the matrix has gone a bit mad.. don't worry though because neo will be around in s2 to fix things.. (meant in jest)

Don't know if this has been said before but on last nights C4 episode there was a bit of a revelation as to 2 of the numbers being related to one person Walt is born on August 24th. The name WALT has 4 letters = 4 , 8

Whats the betting that Michael is 42?

Another Crazy theory brought to by ME

straws and clutching definately come to mind... here's another one... an episode of lost, without adverts and end credits is 42 minutes long... ooooooh spooooky

• Advertisement

someone say straw clutching ... Hay its what I'm good at I'll grab anything

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 sparky637

Me thinks I have an idea.

It's the garden of eden... get this,

they crashed, locke could walk (no imperfections were allowed in the garden)

he seen the "monster type thing" ( god left an angel to guard eden that it would never be found again)

he said to another survivor he had looked into the eyes of the island and it was beautiful after seeing the monster... he looked into the eyes of an angel!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

Thats pretty clever actually, fair play.

But since when are angels half mechanical, half flesh beings that roar like dinosaurs :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

Very good theory, and one I wouldnt dismiss because anything is possible with lost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭ZappaFrank

Anyone ever wondered howcome everyone looks perfect! Their hard life on the island hasn't taken toll on any of them. Their clothes aren't torn! Hurley hasn't lost an gram of weight. I wonder is this a clue? Supports the Eden theorey.
    Plus there's many catholic teachings hiden in the story, ie **** makes you blind! Sawyor is proof of that!

unfortunately... hurley has lost weight.. when charlie asks him for peanut butter he says he's already gone down a notch on his belt..

also.. do we know that the 'monster' actually makes a mechanical noise.. every time i watch it, there's always 'dramatic' music in the background, meaning that the noise may actually be part of the score??

• Registered Users Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

loon wrote:
    also.. do we know that the 'monster' actually makes a mechanical noise.. every time i watch it, there's always 'dramatic' music in the background, meaning that the noise may actually be part of the score??

Um... that'd be an odd score don't you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Shabadu

ZappaFrank wrote:
    Anyone ever wondered howcome everyone looks perfect! Their hard life on the island hasn't taken toll on any of them. Their clothes aren't torn! Hurley hasn't lost an gram of weight. I wonder is this a clue? Supports the Eden theorey.
    Plus there's many catholic teachings hiden in the story, ie **** makes you blind! Sawyor is proof of that!
    This is nonsense, i've seen some severely tatty clothes. Locke's tan tshirt? The exploding high school teachers clothes? Sun's cardigan? The keep the same bruises/cuts from show to show.

Only 2 months-ish in general has passed in the first season, Hurley wouldn't be that noticably smaller. People on crash diets lose around 1 stone a month, he wouldn't be miles skinnier.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭OFDM

People don't die in Eden.

The mechanical noise can be heard in Exodus, I didn't notice it in the first 4 episodes so if it wasn't present then maybe there's two Lostzillas, a light territory all biological Loztzilla and a dark territory mechanical one?

The noise sounds like a big chain being wound on a winch. I'll mp3 excerpts tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,622 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

well this theory is furthered by the remark about the bodies they found in the cave at the very beginning where they called them adam and eve.
    and spoiler time from series finale
    the "angel/monster" thing very much makes a mechanical sound.

Advertisement