Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old Irish Coins

Options
12345679»

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

Totofan99 wrote: »
    Weren't those 1p and 2p coins struck in bronze? Up until 1990 I believe. They were copper plated steel from 1990 on.

I never knew that, thanks! If that's so then the coin is a real error.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭Totofan99

Blade wrote: »
    I never knew that, thanks! If that's so then the coin is a real error.

You're welcome. :) And yep, it must be!

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Jim3592

Hi. Looking for some info. I have a large amount of Irish coins from penny's to pound coins and would like to know are they worth anything other than what the central bank will give me. I'm not sure how far back they date or if there is anything special in them. What should I be looking for to see if they are collectors items. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 16,377 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

The decimal coinage is only likely to be worth face value unless you have something like an 1985 20p or a 1992 10p.

Try this page for pre-decimal stuff - http://www.irishcoinage.com/MODCAT.HTM#modhcr

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭ODriscoll

Not had a chance for a while to check if more feedback, I had just put the 2p in a capsule and stored for another day.
    Appreciate both of your replies.

As you might be able to see from the photos, it does have brass color showing on the edges in small parts, I 'guess' that could be from the striking or because it could have been sprayed or plated a silver look!
    http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-VdN3HttVd1...0/SAM_7327.JPG
    http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-XkRvU6CMxR...0/SAM_7328.JPG

If it was a error, any idea of how I could confirm and if so it's likely value.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

ODriscoll wrote: »
    As you might be able to see from the photos, it does have brass color showing on the edges in small parts, I 'guess' that could be from the striking or because it could have been sprayed or plated a silver look!

First, sorry I edited your post by accident instead of clicking 'quote', I blame the man flu, my head's in a mess.

Anyway, if you can see the copper showing through, it was most likely silver plated by someone. A jeweler could tell you.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Sligo Quay

First, sorry I edited your post by accident instead of clicking 'quote', I blame the man flu, my head's in a mess.
    Take it easy Blade, I always value your expertise and knowledge in numismatics, it beats going to some of the ''dealers'' anyday, have a happy Christmas and keep the forum alive in 2016.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭ODriscoll

Anyway, if you can see the copper showing through, it was most likely silver plated by someone. A jeweler could tell you.

No problems at all, appreciate your time and knowledge.

Great Christmas and new year to you and yours and everyone of us.

Sligo Quay wrote: »
    Take it easy Blade, I always value your expertise and knowledge in numismatics, it beats going to some of the ''dealers'' anyday, have a happy Christmas and keep the forum alive in 2016.
    ODriscoll wrote: »
    No problems at all, appreciate your time and knowledge.

Great Christmas and new year to you and yours and everyone of us.

Thanks guys, Merry Christmas to you and all the forum members.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 karzz

Hi Guys...

I have the following coins...are they worth anything...

1992, 1996 and 2000 20p Coins (One with Horse)
    1975, 1978 and 1980 10p Coin (One with Fish)

1990 One Pound Coin (Punt with Deer)

1999 reduced size 10p..

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭sceach16

karzz wrote: »
    Hi Guys...

I have the following coins...are they worth anything...

1992, 1996 and 2000 20p Coins (One with Horse)
    1975, 1978 and 1980 10p Coin (One with Fish)

1990 One Pound Coin (Punt with Deer)

1999 reduced size 10p..

Thanks

If you bring them to the Central Bank in Dame Street, they can be exchanged foor 2.54...face value. They do not have much if any collectible value

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭jimba

Have an Irish 1805 half penny. Worth much?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Advertisement