Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old Irish Coins

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭patwicklow

** In 1986 the Central Bank produced a specimen set of normally struck uncirculated coins (often incorrectly referred to as proofs) to coincide with the introduction of the 20 pence coin. As not all denominations were required in circulation quantities the halfpenny, the 10 pence and the 50 pence were only minted in small quantities to facilitate the production of these sets. These denominations and the sets containing them are consequently scarce. Many of the 1986 sets sold into the Irish tourist industry for sale to visitors looking for souvenirs before the local collecting community was aware of their existence - consequently many turn up in the US and Europe.

http://www.irishcoinage.com/DECCAT.HTM#2star

it would be worth a few bob have a look at the prices on the link.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭patwicklow

1986 set in green and white card folder
    with gold horse motif.
    Issued for the introduction of the 20p 7 Coins
    - All coins dated 1986
    (the 1/2 p, the 10p and the 50p were
    produced only to complete these sets) 6,750 & euro575.00

Thats the value 575.00 if yours is perfect

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭-=AIR=-

Anybody know what is that

P6090283640x480.jpg

P6090288640x480.jpg

P6090292640x480.jpg

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

-=AIR=- wrote: »
    Anybody know what is that

Looks like an error known as a Brockage:

"A mirror image of the design from one side of a coin impressed on the opposite side - occasionally, a newly struck coin "sticks" to a die, causing the next coin struck to have a First Strike Mirror Brockage of the coin stuck to the die"

I've no idea where the coin itself comes from.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭paddyhes

Found the following old coins today:

5p Irish:

10p Irish:
    1975 (larger than other two)

1p Irish:

1/2p Irish:

1d pingin:

1/2d pingin:

2p Irish:

20p Irish:

50p Irish:

English Half Pennies:
    (Image on coin changes from a ship to a person holding what looks like a trident)

English New Pence 50:

English New Pence Half:

English One Penny:

English New Pence 10:

English Two Pence:

English 10 pence:

English 1 Penny:

English 5 Pence:

English 20 pence:

If anyone could just tell me what these would be worth (if anything) that would be great.
    Any help would be much appreciated.
    Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Central Bank on Dame Street may still take decimal coinage - if your passing. Put the whole on Adverts but don't expect much - €5 or so if you're lucky.

http://www.centralbank.ie/paycurr/notescoin/exchange/Pages/default.aspx

More info here: http://www.irishcoinage.com/DECCAT.HTM

Central Bank on Dame Street may still take decimal coinage - if your passing. Put the whole on Adverts but don't expect much - €5 or so if you're lucky.

http://www.centralbank.ie/paycurr/notescoin/exchange/Pages/default.aspx

5 euro for it all?
    Damn.

paddyhes wrote: »
    5 euro for it all?
    Damn.

Ask for more - stick it on Adverts.ie and see what offers you get. :)

Ask for more - stick it on Adverts.ie and see what offers you get. :)

So none of them are valuable? :P
    not even the one from 1911?

Not even the 1911 one - see eBay: http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=1911+halfpenny&_sacat=See-All-Categories

Always a good place to check values and remember just because somebody puts a price on something it doesn't mean anybody will buy it! :D

• Advertisement

Not even the 1911 one - see eBay: http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=1911+halfpenny&_sacat=See-All-Categories

Always a good place to check values and remember just because somebody puts a price on something it doesn't mean anybody will buy it! :D

Damn.
    True :P
    Thanks anyways :P

• Registered Users Posts: 43 anthonyross

well wanted to know how much is a 1987 central bank of ireland 5 pound worth thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Sligo Quay

Just reading through this very usefull forum, coins seem to be worthless unless you have some rare dates, I have an album of coins which are probably not worth a lot, reading here auctions seem to be better than dealers, heres just a few in the album.
    Edward 1 penny 1272-1307.
    Queen Mary Groat 1553-1554.
    Queen Mary Groat Irish 1557.
    Elizabeth 1 sixpence 1568 (has a hole in it so probably worthless)
    Elizabeth 1 sixpence 1572.
    Queen Anne sixpence & Shilling 1711.
    George 11 sixpence 1758 (hole in it so probably worthless)
    George 111Irish token 1805.
    William 1V Shilling 1837.
    Victoria Groat 1848.
    Victoria Florins 1873 1889.
    Victoria 3pence 1886
    Victoria Shillings 1864 1892 1899.
    Large penny George 111 1797 was tolded it was a ''cartwheel''
    Victoria half Farthing 1844.
    Victoria Farthings 1853 1891 1900.
    Victoria Gold Half Sovereign 1861.
    Edward Gold Half Sovereign 1907.
    A complete set of Irish pre decimal coins 1928 - 1968 excluding 1943 Florin and a few other odds and ends

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

Sligo Quay wrote: »
    Just reading through this very usefull forum, coins seem to be worthless unless you have some rare dates, I have an album of coins which are probably not worth a lot, reading here auctions seem to be better than dealers, heres just a few in the album.

Sounds like you have some valuable coins there, especially the full collection of pre-decimals, depends on their condition as to the exact value. If you want to off load them all in one day there's a coin fair at the RDS the 23/24th of this month. Otherwise you could list them individually or in lots on ebay.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Sligo Quay

Many thanks Blade, the early silver coins are in poor condition Queen Mary & Elizabeth 1, but the pre decimal Irish are in nice condition, but like all coins I don't expect much, unless I have a 1943 Irish Florin, or 1933 English penny, 1985 20P, or the long forgotten 1860 copper Farthing, half penny or penny, which I don't, then its not a Kings Ransom. I might go to that coin fair, thank you for that.

Sligo Quay wrote: »
    Many thanks Blade, the early silver coins are in poor condition Queen Mary & Elizabeth 1, but the pre decimal Irish are in nice condition, but like all coins I don't expect much, unless I have a 1943 Irish Florin, or 1933 English penny, 1985 20P, or the long forgotten 1860 copper Farthing, half penny or penny, which I don't, then its not a Kings Ransom. I might go to that coin fair, thank you for that.

Perhaps not a King's ransom but your collection is still worth a few quid. A 1943 Florin I was offered 5 or 6 years ago for 6 grand, a 1985 20p I've seen not reaching it's reserve of 9 grand at auction but a 1933 English penny you can forget about :) Good luck whatever you decide to do!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Barryooosh

Hi all, just joined this page thread thingy. I need to ask maybe a silly question but what is an error coin? I have been collecting for a short while and have heard about all these expensive error coins namely the fantastic 20 pence irish pre euro coin. If a coin had other errors that have not been cataloged and is clearly an error in minting, would it also be worth something? The reason i'm asking this is because i recently beholded a batch of 20 pence coins all circulated and unfortunately no fantastic 1985 coin but i did come across a 1998 coin with a number of errors clearly from the mint(i'm guessing) as it does not look like scraping or denting or any other human hand made error. When comparing it to the other coins even of the same year i have not found it anywhere else. The errors are--- two little 1mm slivers on the broad side of the harp on the date half, also an extra tiny sliver on the base of the harp. Now comes the strange bit ........ On the horse side of the coin just underneath the base of the tail where the you know what of the horse is looks like a little bit of erm, poo!!! Could you please tell me what on earth would have made those distinctive marks and wether this is known to anyone else besides me and would that make the coin worth a little more. Thanks. NO, I havent been drinking!!!

Barryooosh wrote: »
    what is an error coin? I have been collecting for a short while and have heard about all these expensive error coins namely the fantastic 20 pence irish pre euro coin. If a coin had other errors that have not been cataloged and is clearly an error in minting, would it also be worth something? .............. The errors are--- two little 1mm slivers on the broad side of the harp on the date half, also an extra tiny sliver on the base of the harp.

Any error during the entire minting process, from the production of the blank planchet (blank coin) to the striking can produce an error coin. There's a number of different things that can happen and they all have a specific numismatic term attached. However not all errors make a coin more valuable as they range from very minor and common to very dramatic and rare.

You haven't posted a photo so I can only go by what you've described, you only mention "sliver", is this "sliver" raised? If so there's a few reasons that this can happen. One is known as a "Die break" where the die used to strike the coin has a small chip in it and when it strikes it produces that raised effect on the coin. Similar to that there's a "Die crack" which will also produce a raised line after striking. There are also "lamination errors" which can produce a raised bubbling effect, these are usually caused by impurities or trapped gases caught inside the blank planchet when the metals were being mixed to produce it, or also bonding problems between the two different metals on the likes of coins that are copper covered steel for eg. Under stress, especially after being struck, the metals separate causing the bubbling effect.

Whatever happened to your coin, it sounds like one of these minor errors and therefor not exactly of much value.

You should note also that the Irish 1985 20p coin was NOT an error coin as it was struck on purpose for testing vending machines/phone booths etc.

Thanks blade, i tried to get a picture but my camera isnt good enough for it to get the detail. They are raised and it looks kind of like the harp was attached(not actually) by hinges to maybe a cover and the cover was broken off if you know what i mean. Would it be extremely rare so to have a coin with those laminating errors and die cracking on both sides of the coin and not appear on any other coin?

Barryooosh wrote: »
    Thanks blade, i tried to get a picture but my camera isnt good enough for it to get the detail. They are raised and it looks kind of like the harp was attached(not actually) by hinges to maybe a cover and the cover was broken off if you know what i mean. Would it be extremely rare so to have a coin with those laminating errors and die cracking on both sides of the coin and not appear on any other coin?

No, like I said those types of errors are common. I don't know what you mean about hinges, can't tell without a clear photo, but are you sure someone didn't try to make a brooch out of it or something?

• Advertisement

Ya, i'm sure. I'll try and get a picture up by tomorrow. Thanks for your time.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 ADAM J

Hi all any idea how much a 1986 20p coin is worth?

ADAM J wrote: »
    Hi all any idea how much a 1986 20p coin is worth?

In circulated condition it's just worth it's face value.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 tresher

Hi Guys,
    i had and old coin jar belonging to my father with all the usual coins dating back over a hundred years, but there is also a Wolfe Tone commemoration coin, with the marking Fianna Fail Break the connection, but I cannot find any info on this, could you help out?

tresher wrote: »
    Hi Guys,
    i had and old coin jar belonging to my father with all the usual coins dating back over a hundred years, but there is also a Wolfe Tone commemoration coin, with the marking Fianna Fail Break the connection, but I cannot find any info on this, could you help out?

Sounds like a 'Bodenstown medal'. Lots of info on Google! Does it or does it look like it had a pin on the back?

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭owla

does anyone else find online coin prices alot more than what the actual coins are officially valued at? or are we happy to pay more for the convenience of them arriving at our door.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭hexosan

owla wrote: »
    does anyone else find online coin prices alot more than what the actual coins are officially valued at? or are we happy to pay more for the convenience of them arriving at our door.

Excessive Online prices are often caused by people either
    A.) chancing their arm
    B.) not known how to correctly grade coins and selling poorer grades for uncirculated prices.

Thanks for reply, when i go into sellers they seem to be selling alot of coins and should know what they are doing... a 1940 penny (either fine or very fine) is quoted as being worth €4.00 on irish coinage... an irish seller on ebay wouldnt let one go for less than €40. it didnt look in great nick... when i looked into other items they had some fine coins, would have loved them, but expensive. Is the irish coinage a good guide, how much would you add on to the guide prices for a coin dealer profit... thanks for your time.. trying to build up a collection of old decimals.. finding them expensive online between postage and everything else

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭hexosan

owla wrote: »
    Thanks for reply, when i go into sellers they seem to be selling alot of coins and should know what they are doing... a 1940 penny (either fine or very fine) is quoted as being worth €4.00 on irish coinage... an irish seller on ebay wouldnt let one go for less than €40. it didnt look in great nick... when i looked into other items they had some fine coins, would have loved them, but expensive. Is the irish coinage a good guide, how much would you add on to the guide prices for a coin dealer profit... thanks for your time.. trying to build up a collection of old decimals.. finding them expensive online between postage and everything else

Don't be in a rush to buy up every coin you see, ignore the listing that look way too expensive, if you bide you time you'll often pick them up at a steal. The likes of the coin fair is a great place to pick up multiple coins and your saving the postage costs on each coin

Decide a max price your willing to pay for each coin and don't go above that amount when bidding on eBay otherwise you'll end up paying over the odds for everything. They all get listed again at some stage in the future.

• Advertisement

thanks for the info... good to know theres a bit of advice out there....

Advertisement