Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old Irish Coins

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15 bubso14

Hi,
    Wondering if anyone can help me, can anyone tell if there were any type of irish coins produced/made in 1984?
    Can't seem to come across any?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

bubso14 wrote: »
    can anyone tell if there were any type of irish coins produced/made in 1984?
    Can't seem to come across any?

There are no Irish coins dated 1984. Coins weren't minted unless they were needed for circulation and dies were often used until they were worn in order to save money, so they could have actually minted coins in 1984 but using older dies.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 bubso14

Blade wrote: »
    There are no Irish coins dated 1984. Coins weren't minted unless they were needed for circulation and dies were often used until they were worn in order to save money, so they could have actually minted coins in 1984 but using older dies.

Darn it! Thanks for your response!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

bubso14 wrote: »
    Darn it! Thanks for your response!

I assume 1984 is a significant year, perhaps someone born that year that you want a present for? As you can rule out Ireland, maybe look at a coin set from a different country that they might have some attachment to...

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Packoman

Hi, I hope this is the right thread.

I've a 1964 Irish penny but the coin is gold and the hen/chicks are silver (I assume not pure gold and silver).

Does anyone know why/what this is? I doubt it's worth anything but was wondering if it could be a commemorative coin or something?

I've Googled around but didn't find anything about the gold and silver one.

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,331 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Packoman wrote: »
    Hi, I hope this is the right thread.

I've a 1964 Irish penny but the coin is gold and the hen/chicks are silver (I assume not pure gold and silver).

Does anyone know why/what this is? I doubt it's worth anything but was wondering if it could be a commemorative coin or something?

I've Googled around but didn't find anything about the gold and silver one.

Thanks.

It's possible that it came from a crowd who have been selling tat for the past few years but before I give you their name, the following health warning applies:

Do not under any circumstances waste money buying from these people and do not give them your contact details or they will start to send you 'samples' and then aggressively demand payment. Everything they sell has zero value as a collectible and is complete rubbish.

The 'Dublin Mint Office' used to sell old pre-decimal pennies which were 'layered' in precious metals and which came accompanied with flowery and romantic marketing bu***it. I'm not even going to post their website address, you really don't want to have anything to do with them but from the description above, it sounds like a product they were selling a few years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Packoman

Ah that's a shame. I didn't buy it or anything was just given to me when someone found it lying around.

Thanks a lot for the reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

I have 2 2s 6d coins, one dated 1963 and the other 1964. Are these of any value?

ryanf1 wrote: »
    I have 2 2s 6d coins, one dated 1963 and the other 1964. Are these of any value?

I'm afraid not.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

I'm afraid not.

What punt coins do have value?

• Advertisement

ryanf1 wrote: »
    What punt coins do have value?

Well I'm not going to list them all out here, there are a few threads already discussing these. Assuming you mean Decimal coins, have a look through this page, prices are outdated but it'll tell you what ones are scarce:

http://irishcoinage.com/DECCAT.HTM

However keep in mind also that rare coins are rare for a reason and you are unlikely to find them in a jar of old change, most of these would be in the hands of collectors and dealers by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Coindude

I have a 1970 50p Irish coin.worth anything ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Coindude

Hey how about a 50p coin from 1970

I'm afraid not. The 50p coin was first issued in 1970 (a year in advance of decimalisation) to replace the 10 shilling note so there would have been a huge number minted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 o_sheehan

1974 1p Ireland.
    How much is it worth (circulated)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭hexosan

About as much as the cost of the electricity to write your post.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 o_sheehan

I have:
    1902 1p x1,
    1907 1p x1,
    1920 1p x1,
    1901 1p x1
    1890 1p x1,

1919 1/2 p x1

1921 6p x2
    1920 6p x2
    1907 6p x1
    1922 6p x1

How much is that worth

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

o_sheehan wrote: »
    I have:
    1902 1p x1,
    1907 1p x1,
    1920 1p x1,
    1901 1p x1
    1890 1p x1,

1919 1/2 p x1

1921 6p x2
    1920 6p x2
    1907 6p x1
    1922 6p x1

How much is that worth

Check eBay selling prices if you're genuinely interested in information.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xirish+coins.TRS0&_nkw=irish+coins&_sacat=0

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭filbert the fox

I have:
    1902 1p x1,
    1907 1p x1,
    1920 1p x1,
    1901 1p x1
    1890 1p x1,

1919 1/2 p x1

1921 6p x2
    1920 6p x2
    1907 6p x1
    1922 6p x1

How much is that worth

Just tell us the condition tsk.

I have:
    1902 1p x1,
    1907 1p x1,
    1920 1p x1,
    1901 1p x1
    1890 1p x1,

1919 1/2 p x1

1921 6p x2
    1920 6p x2
    1907 6p x1
    1922 6p x1

How much is that worth

Old Irish Coins?

The sixpenny pieces might have some intrinsic (silver) value, the pennies and ha'penny would be worth feck all unless they're in exceptionally good condition.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭filbert the fox

coylemj wrote: »
    Old Irish Coins?

The sixpenny pieces might have some intrinsic (silver) value, the pennies and ha'penny would be worth feck all unless they're in exceptionally good condition.

which we are still in the dark about?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

http://www.coins-of-the-uk.co.uk/values/sixd.html#GVI - read the bit on bullion value there. The silver value is a lot less than it was - its maybe a third of its peak value currently.

The 1920 coin could be .925 or .500, obviously the .925 is worth almost twice the .500 in bullion value. The 1907 is .925 and the later ones are .500

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭ODriscoll

General question re older Irish coins

How can you tell if a older Irish bronze coin like a farthing or halfpenny from the 1930's was a proof?

Is there any easy or foolproof way of telling the difference between a very good non circulated one and a proof?

ODriscoll wrote: »
    General question re older Irish coins

How can you tell if a older Irish bronze coin like a farthing or halfpenny from the 1930's was a proof?

Is there any easy or foolproof way of telling the difference between a very good non circulated one and a proof?

As proofs are specially made and not something that happen accidentally, all known ones are noted on the likes of the Irishcoinage website. So you should first check if there were any known proofs for the coin you're examining. If not, you can pretty much rule it out as being a proof. Proofs have a mirror like finish and very sharp rims and details from being struck more than once by highly polished dies and planchets, you should be able to see this with the coin at hand.

Not to be confused with 'proof-like' coins which are normal circulation coins which can occur any year from very early strikes by a new die or a newly polished die. The blanks (or planchets) in this instance are not polished. A proof-like will also have somewhat of a mirror finish but not as much as a proof, but it will also lack the sharpness of a proof. It can be hard to tell the difference sometimes!

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭ODriscoll

As proofs are specially made and not something that happen accidentally, all known ones are noted on the likes of the Irishcoinage website. So you should first check if there were any known proofs for the coin you're examining. If not, you can pretty much rule it out as being a proof. Proofs have a mirror like finish and very sharp rims and details from being struck more than once by highly polished dies and planchets, you should be able to see this with the coin at hand.

Not to be confused with 'proof-like' coins which are normal circulation coins which can occur any year from very early strikes by a new die or a newly polished die. The blanks (or planchets) in this instance are not polished. A proof-like will also have somewhat of a mirror finish but not as much as a proof, but it will also lack the sharpness of a proof. It can be hard to tell the difference sometimes!

Thanks and very useful.

Separate point.

In among a bag of Irish coins I found a 1980 2pence in silver base colour
    and a halfpenny from 1964 in a light gold colour??

Anyone ever come across this before

ODriscoll wrote: »
    In among a bag of Irish coins I found a 1980 2pence in silver base colour and a halfpenny from 1964 in a light gold colour??

Anyone ever come across this before

It's hard to tell from the photos but the halfpenny just looks like a normal 'almost UNC' coin which has still retained all it's lustre. Sitting beside heavily toned other coins, that's what it looks like. You'd really need to put it beside another unc coin for any difference to show up in a photo as it could be a different metal.

As regards the 2 pence it's hard to tell if it's a real error struck on a wrong metal or if someone has chemically removed the copper from a normal coin. These coins were copper covered steel and removing the copper would expose the steel beneath, a tell tale sign of this is that the image is blurry not sharp when the copper has been removed after the coin has been struck. Yours does look blurry so my guess is that's what happened there. If the coin had been struck on a steel planchet the image would be sharp and this would be a real error. The blobs you see in the date are just excess metal, which was a common occurrence with decimal coins, not classed as a real or significant error.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭TotallyEpic

I received a want list from a friend of mine in Portugal, where would be a good place in Dublin to grab some old Irish coins?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

I received a want list from a friend of mine in Portugal, where would be a good place in Dublin to grab some old Irish coins?

Valuable ones at the RDS at "Stampa 2015" 16th/18th October

http://collectireland.com/numismatics/

or try the Arcade Market off Sth.Great Georges Street for run of the mill coins - Lir Coins

http://www.georgesstreetarcade.com/index.php/find-shops/antiques-collectibles/item/lir-coins?category_id=5

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭Totofan99

It's hard to tell from the photos but the halfpenny just looks like a normal 'almost UNC' coin which has still retained all it's lustre. Sitting beside heavily toned other coins, that's what it looks like. You'd really need to put it beside another unc coin for any difference to show up in a photo as it could be a different metal.

As regards the 2 pence it's hard to tell if it's a real error struck on a wrong metal or if someone has chemically removed the copper from a normal coin. These coins were copper covered steel and removing the copper would expose the steel beneath, a tell tale sign of this is that the image is blurry not sharp when the copper has been removed after the coin has been struck. Yours does look blurry so my guess is that's what happened there. If the coin had been struck on a steel planchet the image would be sharp and this would be a real error. The blobs you see in the date are just excess metal, which was a common occurrence with decimal coins, not classed as a real or significant error.

Weren't those 1p and 2p coins struck in bronze? Up until 1990 I believe. They were copper plated steel from 1990 on.

Advertisement