Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official "woo-hoo/anti-moan" Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭snorlax

started my first day of work, alittle scary, never seen people looking so vunerable (eg i have to wash them naked, i aslo did everything they'd normally do for themselves, teeth/ hair the works). it's tough work, but great experience, im learning alot..the alzhimers wing wasnt that scary either, just strangely humbling ..it sucks to be so old and dependent where you can't even got to the toilet on your own...
    one elderly lady even introduced me to her son, and i v only been there a day!:)

Pet wrote:
    Thanks, but I'm going on an ultra-low budget trip. Fly to Edinburgh with friends, change into costumes, see Dolls, get bus back to airport, sleep there until our flight at 0630 the next day. €60 for the entire trip.

the air bus is 3 dterling each way so be sure to get a return ticket.

most bus fares are 80pence-1pound but come frequently.

one place serves irish stew and a pint of guinness for 5pounds.

look out for the chippers if your budgeting, and they don't do cod only haddock, cod is all gone apparently. also you must try some haggis, i did, it tastes like minced pudding

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭Chick

snorlax wrote:
    (eg i have to wash them naked)
    As opposed to....? :p
    snorlax wrote:
    i aslo did everything they'd normally do for themselves, teeth/ hair the works)
    Welcome to my world! :) Is that the first time you've ever done work like that Snorlax? Oh and where are ya working by the way? I remember when I first started working as a care assistant, the first few times when I was doing showers/nappies etc I didn't know where to look! :)

LiouVille wrote:
    I just found out Kev's banned, I'm delighted.
    You're a meanie. But, no, Kev... who will I fight with!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭xeduCat

snorlax wrote:
    the air bus is 3 dterling each way so be sure to get a return ticket.

most bus fares are 80pence-1pound but come frequently.

one place serves irish stew and a pint of guinness for 5pounds.

look out for the chippers if your budgeting, and they don't do cod only haddock, cod is all gone apparently. also you must try some haggis, i did, it tastes like minced pudding

I like the taste of haggis. Which is strange.

Anyway, watch out about the bus back to the airport, it goes from a funny location near waverly station - it's just on the bridge off princes st. but the stop tends to move around, be warned! Ask the driver when you get into the city centre where the return bus is going from.

If you're travelling around in the city, both companies (Lothian and First) do all-day tickets for around a pound or two where you can travel on all routes belonging to them without limit. There's a lot of competition between them.

Food is cheaper (normally) on the Princes St side of the centre than the Old Town side, which is more of a tourist trap.

Glasgow is cheaper again, but that's cause it's Glasgow ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

Chick wrote:
    snorlax wrote:
    (eg i have to wash them naked)
    :confused: You guys wash yourselves (and other people) NAKED! wtf, you strange strange people..

I always thought this was how women wash...
    clip_image009.jpg

• Advertisement

Chick wrote:

well you see everything, and some of the clients are really big and difficult to move, one lady i could barely push on the wheelchair/ let alone a shower chair

Welcome to my world! :) Is that the first time you've ever done work like that Snorlax?

you guys deseve a hell of a lot more credit then you get from the health board/ doctors etc. id double all nurses/ care assistant paychecks, because i believe the job they do is very difficult and i respect them alot for it, as it's far from glamerous work changing ppls urinary pads and ontop of that alot of the ppl have mental problems like Dementia aswell as physical problems like RA and OA/ CVA's. yes its the first time iv worked as a care assistant. OT's work is more around advice/ education/ training then care taking.
    Oh and where are ya working by the way? I remember when I first started working as a care assistant, the first few times when I was doing showers/nappies etc I didn't know where to look! :)

i ll have to do that friday, ahh im all scared, any advice for a novice on putting on continence pads? im working up the road from my home, only 22/25min walk, a nursing home in D6 (don't want to give actual name although if you want pm me)

any advice about those gell creams you put on the backsides of those with dermititus? and how do you clean false teeth?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭Pet

Hmm. Can't help you with the first two, but for false teeth, you can get effervescent tablets in Boots, or just use a child's toothbrush and a little toothpaste. (That's what I use for my retainers; I'd imagine false teeth would get much the same treatment..)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭cuckoo

Just in the door - v good night out. Woo hoo! :D

and, i think i've typed this without any spelling mistakes - woo hoo^2!

i'll prob come back to this thread some time over the weekend, and spot lots of mistakes.....

water and sleep now....

Woo hoo the wonder that is mashed potato. I *heart* mashed potato. Just had a bowl of it for lunch. Yum.

Woo hoo (more) mashed potato. And, 'about adam' on the telly.

Cheesy mashed potato goodness and yummy stuart townsend...

• Advertisement

is it smash instant potato?!

Nope, the usual unprocessed Irish potatoes, boiled and mashed. I find the mashing action calming. Peeling potatoes can also be relaxing.

The one time i had Smash the look of it reminded me of papier mache art classes in primary school.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Crash

i hate smash. you need proper handdone spuds, with copious amounts of butter and salt :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Hitchhiker's Guide to...

i've just *bumped* this thread - woo-hoo! and its payday! Bring on a night out consisting primarily of 'Charlie and the Chocolate Factory'...

Woohoo! The blackberries are out. And now we make jam..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

finished stinking work on friday, woohoo indeed

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭fade

em, i like cheese, woohoo?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Crash

lessee - i'm going to see Serenity tonight with a bunch of boardsers, i'm going to a barbeque with all my ex work mates tomorrow, and i'm going to the cinema on friday :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Hitchhiker's Guide to...

crash_000 wrote:
    lessee - i'm going to see Serenity tonight with a bunch of boardsers, i'm going to a barbeque with all my ex work mates tomorrow, and i'm going to the cinema on friday :)

you forgot to say "woo-hoo"

tried a starbucks coffee today first time, very nice actually, but very pricey

2.75 latte, 2.5-americano, 2.30 home blend(what i tried, don't pick the strong blend, is very strong)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭sleepingbeauty

finally back from the pixies gig woohooo!!! and the cold i thought i was developing yesterday and this morning seems to be disappearing yay :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭DrIndy

Woo-hoo in texas loving the sunshine, cajun cooking and tex-mex cuisine.

I LOVE MEXICAN FOOD!

a robin came down and took food from my hand for the first time ever (robins peck pretty hard btw!), i v being feeding it for a week or two so it must be tame nowsmile.gif

Galleries%5CAnimals%5CBirds%5CRobin%5Crobin-2-mum-040323.jpg

oh yes and im also going to the cinema on friday!smile.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Wow I've never heard of a robin doing that in Ireland. I've done it in France but never here.

i found the local dealer in belgium, no more trips over to hollnad, WOOOOOOHHHHHHHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

once they get used to you after a few weeks they'll do it, they land on your knee and everything.

also the younger they are the easier it is to get them to do it.

Fade's obviously enjoying himself:)!...

well i will be once i have money to sample his wares, but yes, i am excited considering my 21st is in a few weeks. im may have to indulge in fine, fine weed

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭JackKelly

im happy as i got my first choice and shall be in trinity come october.

excellant, well done, wat you studyin?

• Advertisement

Woohoo! I'm just back from Edinburgh, which is an absolutely beautiful city, and I was only there for a couple of hours..to see the DRESDEN DOLLS, or one-half thereof, ie Amanda Palmer, who was AMAZING. She played a second gig for free in the university park at 2am..and I got to meet her, and got her autograph and a photo with her. Excellent. Now, seeing as I haven't slept in about 36 hours and have left coherency somewhere in Haymarket, i'm off for a nap..

Advertisement