Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rig Up Inflames

Options
  • 19-07-2005 9:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭

Woke up this morning @ 5am to my main rig inflames. :( I heard a bit of an explosion and woke up, room was full of smoke and i could see a glow coming out of the pc, had to drag it out of my flat shaking like crazy. Lucky i woke up, the smoke alarm didnt go off and the fuses didnt blow or trip the main switch.

Weird thing was it wasnt even switched on. On inspection after the flames died down it looks like the soundcard went up inflames, hard to tell really. Looks like the x800pro and the audigy are gone and maybe mobo :( Im gonna check them out when i go home, bloody black soot like **** all over my flat and smell of burning plastic.

Scarey stuff

Awell could have been worse.............. TIME TO UPGRADE I THINK

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 4,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nukem

Lucky escape:eek: .
    Could have been a hell of a lot worse.
    Condolences to your poor computer,but at least you lived to tell the tale-bet you getting new smoke alarms now!

Nukem

• Registered Users Posts: 65,221 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Sorry for your troubles, at least you're ok

I'd sure like to know what caused it, especially as the PC was switched off - scary!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

Horrible. Glad to hear you're ok though!

Nasty thing to happen, I'd love to know how though, especially since it was switched off.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Always unplug devices not in use, and invest in a good multi plug

Too late i know

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

bazH wrote:
    Always unplug devices not in use, and invest in a good multi plug

Too late i know

it was plugged into an anti-surge plug

• Advertisement

the souncard looked the worst damaged, so i am assuming that it was the soundcard

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭dubdvd

if i was you glen i'd get on to creative and tell them what happened and see is there any thing they can or should do ..ur down a lot of money ....

but your blessed it was'nt worse .cos it could have been very very nasty ...

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭MR DAZ

I know this might sound a bit strange......

But could ya post up pics of the system... give us an ole gander :)

Sorry again for your loss!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭dubdvd

i told you about overclocking your soundcard with that machII of yours lol

i had to throw that in sorry

yep il post pics. there is no way of proving what caused it as the dangerden block was melted and leaking. But i dont think a leak caused it as the water tank was still nearly full and the fire didnt seem to start there. u should see the waterblock, its melted to bits. i think the pc came on some how by itself and the gpu may have overheated and melted the waterblock and that started the fire, cuz the waterpump is controlled by a seperate psu so that wouldnt have come on.

• Advertisement

dubdvd wrote:
    i told you about overclocking your soundcard with that machII of yours lol

i had to throw that in sorry

good one, not even -50 can keep my oc'd chips cool ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Wow, time to buy a few more smoke alarms and as another poster said turn off all the plugs. I've started recently turning off everything when im not using it.
    Lucky escape for you. :)

rkm wrote:
    Wow, time to buy a few more smoke alarms and as another poster said turn off all the plugs. I've started recently turning off everything when im not using it.
    Lucky escape for you. :)

yeh il have to buy a new smoke alarm. and the pc was turned off, i never leave that 1 on at nite as its a flat and im in the same room as it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,240 ✭✭✭Endurance Man

Crisis, your pc is a suicide bomber :p , i reckon it connected to the net and was given orders to self destruct :D

Crisis, your pc is a suicide bomber :p , i reckon it connected to the net and was given orders to self destruct :D

those damn trojans, errrrr :mad: lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Dundhoone

scary stuff, sorry to hear about losing your pc, sounds like you had a lucky escape alright

Sounds like your surge protection was faulty, I mean apart from that the only thing storing a decent charge would be the power supply, I wonder if it went faulty could it have discharged enough juice to light something up? had you the machine on late last night?

I had a similar late night lucky escape involving a female flatmate, an smelly oil burner thing and some very flammable teddy bears a few years ago.........

• Registered Users Posts: 13,749 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Commisserations Gline,

What do ya reckon you can salvage? MachII and maybe CPU and RAM if yer lucky..........

So the PC was off but the Mobo etc were on powered up?

Inqui

Inquitus wrote:
    Commisserations Gline,

What do ya reckon you can salvage? MachII and maybe CPU and RAM if yer lucky..........

So the PC was off but the Mobo etc were on powered up?

Inqui

basically the rig was shutdown (well so i thought) maybe windows hung shutting down and it didnt shutdown properly. Id say i can salvage -hdds, dvdrw drive, cpu, mach II, maybe psu and maybe mobo but i doubt it. I HOPE it didnt damage the mach II thats the most expensive part :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

Take a load of pics please and post in thumbnails as I would really like to see what damage was caused as I know snow people who leave their PC's on for days on end and this might scare the shít out of them!!

Sorry for your loss....hard drives going up in flames scare me the most as the data is very difficult to replace.

zuma wrote:
    Take a load of pics please and post in thumbnails as I would really like to see what damage was caused as I know snow people who leave their PC's on for days on end and this might scare the shít out of them!!

Sorry for your loss....hard drives going up in flames scare me the most as the data is very difficult to replace.

yeh lucky i have the 2 hdds in it backed up. but i dont know wether the hdds would survive as the case is full of black soot like material.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

You've gotten plenty of symphathy so I don't feel bad going HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA

John

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

Even though you have it off but still pluged in it will be still using power. They say up to 20% from just been pluged in, well thats what the add said on TV.

Sorry for your loss but as stated it could have been alot worse.

One poster said he plugs out everything when finished i think i might do the same!

BadCharlie wrote:
    Even though you have it off but still pluged in it will be still using power. They say up to 20% from just been pluged in, well thats what the add said on TV.

Sorry for your loss but as stated it could have been alot worse.

One poster said he plugs out everything when finished i think i might do the same!

ah yeh it could have been a lot worse, if the carpet or curtains went up i would have been screwed.

awell, this loss is really just gonna force me to upgrade again, i will be back with a better rig now :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭mp3guy

Yeah, pics would be good, and finding out what the cause was... i think i'll be flicking the PSU switch to 'off' tonight.

How much damage in yoyos do you reckon yer gonna have to swallow? Looking like at least a grand from here........any chance you can claim on the flat insurance?

Inqui

Inquitus wrote:
    How much damage in yoyos do you reckon yer gonna have to swallow? Looking like at least a grand from here........any chance you can claim on the flat insurance?

Inqui

what flat insurence?? LOL. id say so far defo 400yoyos of damage,i actually dont know exactly how much, i need a spare agp card to see if i can boot up the pc to see if mobo is gone, anyone wana lend me one, can be any old piece of ****, like a radeon 7000 or somethin.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

No the Pc's are rebellion has begun i knew my psu had it in for me :eek:

No the Pc's are rebellion has begun i knew my psu had it in for me :eek:

hehehe, now my pc is gonna pay for scaring the **** out of it, if the mobo is still working, im gonna volt mod it and overclock the **** out of it even more than it was, hahahah.... machines will never win against us humans.... or will they :(

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

I don't suppose you had your PC set to power on after AC loss did you?

And why didn't you have the PC psu and the WC psu PS-ON pins connected?

Your PC lived and died by the watery sword smile.gif

• Advertisement

You got receipts? You could always try an RMA :D

Advertisement