Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Finally some justice metted out

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

Death would be too good for them. From a male point of view what happened to them both is simply horrific and I know I wouldn't be able to control myself in the hunt for vengeance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Dave

Mr Justice Carney heard that the accused, who has 36 previous convictions, was not the leader of the gang and told gardaí that he had been present at the incident but made no substantial admissions concerning the more serious charges

Seriously, there should be some form of strike policy before life imprisionment. 36 previous convictions, and he's still walking around (not anymore obviously) assaulting people. No doubt the other lads will be back out in 5 or 6 years up to the same auld shíte just tougher.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭passive

Fair play to the boyfriend anyway... escaping and beating his way to call for help. It is good to see justice dealt strongly for once... But chances are they'd all been arrested and released numerous times before (edit: ah yes, 36 times in fact.)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Concurrent sentences being served, I notice, and the others got off fairly lightly. Still it smacks of some justice, although I hope some of the ultra Boards liberals don't go on to try and defend their actions based on the defendant's ages...

ixoy wrote:
    Concurrent sentences being served, I notice, and the others got off fairly lightly. Still it smacks of some justice, although I hope some of the ultra Boards liberals don't go on to try and defend their actions based on the defendant's ages...

I really, really, hope not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Chalk

anyone fell like pasting the full story for the benefit of those [me ;)] behind web filtering software.

thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Why the **** did he give him concurrent sentences? Its like paying the price for one crime and getting the rest for free. They should be consecutive. Let the bastard spend the rest of his life in prison.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭skywalker

Absolutely horrific crime. They should NEVER be allowed walk the streets again.

EDIT/ why do concurrent sentences exist? can they not be done away with?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

full story
    A Limerick man who participated in a savage gang-rape of a woman in a wood last year has been jailed for 21 years by Mr Justice Paul Carney at the Central Criminal Court.

Stephen Barry (aged 25), of Roxboro Road, pleaded guilty to four charges arising from the crime at Brickhill East, Cratloe, Co Clare on January 23, 2004.

Barry admitted raping the victim, assaulting her causing harm, false imprisonment of her and of her male companion and the assault of him.

He also pleaded guilty to a fifth charge of stealing a bottle of Tequila on January 22, 2004 at Fine Wines, Thomond Gate, Limerick.

Mr Justice Paul Carney imposed 21 years for the count of rape, 21 years for false imprisonment, five years for each assault and 12 months for theft. All terms are to run concurrently and the final year will be suspended.

Mr Justice Carney gave the four other Limerick teenagers detention terms of up to 10 years on July 30 last year for their roles in the crime in which the gang took turns to rape a woman while her 36-year-old male companion was locked in the boot of a car.

Thomas O’Neill, Dean Barry and Darragh Ryan, all 16 at the time , and the then 14-year-old Jason Ring, along with Barry, launched the attack on the couple after they found them together in Cratloe Woods in the early hours of the morning.

Detective Sergeant Michael Houlihan said the couple arrived at the scene around 3am that morning. Twenty minutes later the teenagers and Barry arrived in a stolen car.

Armed with a golf club, a screw driver, a wheel brace and a shovel, the gang threatened the couple demanding their mobile phones and wallets. The man had trouble finding money to give to the gang upon which they shouted "do him, do him".

The woman was severely struck on the shoulder with a golf club after telling her attackers to **** off when they tried to lift up her dress.

The man was in possession of an extendable baton and when the youths found it they assumed he was a garda and shouted "he's a cop do him".

They ordered the man into the boot of the car while Barry held a screwdriver to his side. Barry was identifiable from surgical stitches above his eye. From inside the boot he heard the gang shout "my turn next" and "we’re riding your bird" as the woman was repeatedly raped.

She was pushed onto the bonnet facing forward and an attempt to anally rape her was made. One of the gang sat in front of her, laughing in her face and asking her for a kiss.

She was dragged into the car and the gang took turns raping her while they threatened to burn the car with her boyfriend in the boot if she resisted. She was able to identify the accused man as the third to have raped her. She was also forced to perform oral sex on her attackers.

Det Sgt said the ordeal lasted for around 45 minutes. It ended when the man managed to escape from the boot and summon help from a passing motorist.

During his escape he was viciously beaten by the men but he managed to get hold of two golf clubs to defend himself with.

Mr Justice Carney heard that the accused, who has 36 previous convictions, was not the leader of the gang and told gardaí that he had been present at the incident but made no substantial admissions concerning the more serious charges.

O’Neill and Ryan, both from Lenihan Avenue, Barry, from Garryglass Avenue, Ballinacurra, and Ring, from Crecora Avenue, Ballinacurra, all Limerick City, pleaded guilty to raping the 35-year-old woman. They also pleaded guilty to falsely imprisoning the man and assault causing harm on both victims on the same date.

Mr Justice Carney jailed O’Neill for 10 years because he was described in court as the "ringleader" and "director of operations" and jailed Dean Barry for nine years because the probation report said he represented a continuing danger to others.

He sentenced Ryan to eight years and jailed Ring for the maximum four years for a person under the age of 16.

Mr Justice Carney suspended the final year of O’Neill, Ryan and Dean Barry’s sentence because of their age and guilty pleas but said he had no jurisdiction to suspend a portion of Ring’s sentence because it was to be served at Trinity House. The other three were to go to St Patrick’s Institution.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭MorningStar

I am always weary of adults who hang out with kids. It indicates they are slow or trying to manipulate them.

The teenagers are one thing as they aren't exactly going to know the full extent of their actions especially if they come from an environment where people don't act responsibly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

21 Years.....

Castration would teach those little fucking cunts a lesson

Half them'll be walking around in a few years free to mess up someone elses day/life/physical appearance

God, they make me sick

• Registered Users Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭skywalker

ixoy wrote:
    although I hope some of the ultra Boards liberals don't go on to try and defend their actions based on the defendant's ages...

The teenagers are one thing as they aren't exactly going to know the full extent of their actions especially if they come from an environment where people don't act responsibly.

Dint take long did it?

(How did you by pass the swear filter there...fitting words...but I'm curious)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Originally Posted by MorningStar

What a crock of shit

I'd love it to happen to your GF/BF and then have you say that again....

Its one thing stealing something, or doing damage to property - but beating someone, raping someone in such a brutal fashion....

They deserve the absolute full extent of the law (and worse), weak and all as it might be in some circumstances

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭joe.

If only hangings were still happening. It would still be too good for them. Scum

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

there shouldnt be such a huge deduction for admitting guilt:
    Mr Justice Carney suspended the final year of O’Neill, Ryan and Dean Barry’s sentence because of their age and guilty pleas

and
    Mr Justice Paul Carney imposed 21 years for the count of rape, 21 years for false imprisonment, five years for each assault and 12 months for theft. All terms are to run concurrently and the final year will be suspended

the thinking behind giving lesser terms for people who admit is that they are alreayd beginning to understand and admit to their crimes.

But the reality is that in more cases the accused knows that there is more then enough evidence against them and admitting guilty will shave a number of years off.

also how did mobileinfantry get pass the censors?
    Castration would teach those little ****ing ***** a lesson

just testing...****?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

he got passed the filter cause he used this
    c<font size=1>unts</font>

21 Years.....

Castration would teach those little fucking cunts a lesson

THey have proved and know castration doesn't work. They go on to comitt rape with other items and become more violent
    What a crock of ****

I'd love it to happen to your GF/BF and then have you say that again....

Its one thing stealing something, or doing damage to property - but beating someone, raping someone in such a brutal fashion....

They deserve the absolute full extent of the law (and worse), weak and all as it might be in some circumstances

How old are you? Did you know everything when you were 16? They also did punish them to the full extent of the law. It was 4 years max they could do. The fact you knew better than them is a complement to your parents and you.

Just because you would flip out if it was your BF/GF doesn't exempt anybody from the social responsibility for justice which is a balanced view. I wouldn't love it to happen to anybodies family yet you seem to be willing to wish on mine. Maybe you don't know better :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

How old are you? Did you know everything when you were 16? They also did punish them to the full extent of the law. It was 4 years max they could do. The fact you knew better than them is a complement to your parents and you.

Just because you would flip out if it was your BF/GF doesn't exempt anybody from the social responsibility for justice which is a balanced view. I wouldn't love it to happen to anybodies family yet you seem to be willing to wish on mine. Maybe you don't know better :rolleyes:
    16, yes, they should fully punishable as an adult. Under 16, the parents should jailed as if they had committed the crime. If your 14-year-old child is hanging around with subhumans 8 years older than they are, you deserve to be locked up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,728 ✭✭✭Naos

That is horrific. I remember hearing about this story.

Concurrent sentences are a ****ing joke.
    3 strikes your out is the system we need.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

How old are you? Did you know everything when you were 16?

That wasn't directed at me, but I'll answer anyway: I'm 22 now, and I knew the difference between right and ****ing wrong at 16. Knowing "everything" has nothing to do with it.
    Any 16 year old that doesn't know gang rape is wrong is a ****ing liar or mentally retarded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

seamus wrote:
    If your 14-year-old child is hanging around with subhumans 8 years older than they are, you deserve to be locked up.

Were you ever 14 ?
    Did your parents always know where you were ?

I know when I was 14 my parents generally thought they knew where I was, especially at 3am.

Things like vandalism or shoplifting, make the parents pay & let them sort the little feckers out. This is way worse, no parent could be held responsible for their kids commiting crimes like this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

Personally, I'd rather beat them to death (if that was my girlfriend.)

Go on the Muslims!!!

Gurgle wrote:
    Were you ever 14 ?
    Did your parents always know where you were ?

I know when I was 14 my parents generally thought they knew where I was, especially at 3am.

Things like vandalism or shoplifting, make the parents pay & let them sort the little feckers out. This is way worse, no parent could be held responsible for their kids commiting crimes like this.

My parents had a general idea of what I was doing. They obviously wouldn't exactly where I was, but they paid enough attention that they'd be 99% sure of who I was with, and what kind of crap I was probably getting up to. A severe lack of Gardai turning up at the door helps.

TBH, while I agree it wouldn't be fair to punish parents for serious crimes like these, if parents were punished for the less serious stuff - vandalism, burglary, assault, etc - then they may bother to make a better effort. No kids are just "bad", there is only bad parenting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

seamus wrote:
    No kids are just "bad", there is only bad parenting.

I agree. Although peer pressure can be extremely powerful.

seamus wrote:
    16, yes, they should fully punishable as an adult. Under 16, the parents should jailed as if they had committed the crime. If your 14-year-old child is hanging around with subhumans 8 years older than they are, you deserve to be locked up.

So at 16 you happen to know better than them. I bet you are better than others a certain subjects life is like that in everything. Somepeople have better social understanding than others. If they were brought up in destructive and unhealthy environments they may be both socially and emotionaly retarded basically not knowing the differnece between right and wrong.
    Ask a seven year old is it wrong to steal a loaf of bread to feed your family and the answer is generally yes it is wrong. The child just doesn't have the abilty to see the complexities of the situation . A 14 year old will generally say no becasue they see the situation differently and if they say yes they understand why people say no.

People with stunted mental growth may never get to the stage where they see the situation in full.

Just because at that age you know or knew better add drugs,alcohol and group mentality to somebody who is not on solid mental understanding you get a different answer.

I don't belive people whom are nt adults should be charged as adults. They are not fully devloped mentally. Luckily the court system is full of people who understand more about this stuff and they try to give out balance judgements. Most of the time people just rely on the media to report the details where they don't cover all the facts.

The problem is the facilities aren't there to treat or rehabilitate the prison population. I am worried these people will be let out with out and positive change otherwise they are likely to reoffend in some way. THe fact somebody had 36 convictions shows the system was not there to change the behaviour.

I am not a woolly liberal I just want the quickest,cheapest and humaine way to stop this behaviour. Punishment in prison doesn't work but training does. It's a fact proved time and time again it just happens to work. Keeping people in prison is expensive and causes re-offence

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

Punishment in prison doesn't work but training does. It's a fact proved time and time again it just happens to work. Keeping people in prison is expensive and causes re-offence

Got sources to back up that fairly broad statement?

Keeping people in prison works very well indeed as a matter of fact, prisoners opportunities to commit crime are fairly limited whilst locked up. The longer theyre locked up the better. After a given number of repeat offences, being released shouldn't be on the agenda.

So at 16 you happen to know better than them. I bet you are better than others a certain subjects life is like that in everything. Somepeople have better social understanding than others. If they were brought up in destructive and unhealthy environments they may be both socially and emotionaly retarded basically not knowing the differnece between right and wrong.
    I'm a firm believer of "Your upbringing my explain your behaviour but it doesn't excuse it". I couldn't give a **** what kind of upbringing a person had. We're all responsible for our own decisions (I would put the lower age limit at 16).
    People with stunted mental growth may never get to the stage where they see the situation in full.

Just because at that age you know or knew better add drugs,alcohol and group mentality to somebody who is not on solid mental understanding you get a different answer.
    You could use that kind of logic to prove that a man of 22 was socially retarded and we should be lenient.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,230 ✭✭✭OLDYELLAR

They all got off too likely!F*kn makes me so mad , jesus they had the guys and still the sentence is too light!The death sentence should be brought back in this country , the only way the streets are safe is if these guys are wiped out altogether!

Id love to see these fu*kers getting shot!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,392 ✭✭✭irishgeo

lets just hope some lags beats the **** of them in jail.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement